Author Topic: Tool for gerber to homebrew artwork (toner transfer, uv)  (Read 6915 times)

Offline sleemanjTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Tool for gerber to homebrew artwork (toner transfer, uv)
« on: March 29, 2014, 08:16:05 am »
I thought somebody else might find the little hack of a script I wrote to convert gerbers into homebrew-friendly PDF artwork.

Uses imagemagick and gerbv to get the job done

Full details here:
  https://github.com/sleemanj/gerb2etch/

Download:
  https://github.com/sleemanj/gerb2etch/archive/master.zip
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline bench_knob

• Regular Contributor
  • Disc Inside Ionized Atmosphere - Mexico 1994
    • SETV
Re: Tool for gerber to homebrew artwork (toner transfer, uv)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 08:23:11 am »
I thought somebody else might find the little hack of a script I wrote to convert gerbers into homebrew-friendly PDF artwork.

Uses imagemagick and gerbv to get the job done

Full details here:
  https://github.com/sleemanj/gerb2etch/

Download:
  https://github.com/sleemanj/gerb2etch/archive/master.zip

SleeManj,

Nice tool, thanks for sharing.  What program do you use for PCB artwork generation? (KiCad, PCB, Eagle, etc??)

bench knob
skupe: zeebra_xray

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 08:33:22 am »
What program do you use for PCB artwork generation? (KiCad, PCB, Eagle, etc??)

DipTrace and Fritzing
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline bench_knob

• Regular Contributor
    • SETV
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 08:08:22 pm »
Thank you

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:38:13 am »
Why not distribute the Gerber and point people to Viewmate (pentalogix.com)? It's tough to get a PDF to print on a 1:1 scale drawing with all the different paper sizes.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 01:13:53 pm »
Why not distribute the Gerber and point people to Viewmate (pentalogix.com)? It's tough to get a PDF to print on a 1:1 scale drawing with all the different paper sizes.

If you want to get your boards produced by a board house, this is not for you.

If you want to do it yourself, this makes producing the artwork you need an easy single command, and generates also useful annotations and placements to make life easier.

If you can't print an A4 PDF at the correct scale then you printer is worthless and you have no hope to ever produce a viable PCB from it with or without my script, or "Viewmate".
~~~

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 06:11:04 pm »
So does Viewmate. I've made countless of boards by printing the layout on tracing paper (for UV exposure) using Viewmate. Replace tracing paper with toner transfer sheets and you have the same process. They don't use A4 all over the world. IMHO going the PDF route is just making things more difficult because you need to disable the automatic paper scaling before printing which may result in printing multiple pages or cropping in places you don't want it to crop. Did I mention automatic rotation and numerous versions of PDF readers so making a universal tutorial is almost impossible.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline bench_knob

• Regular Contributor
    • SETV
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 11:52:28 pm »

If you want to get your boards produced by a board house, this is not for you.

If you want to do it yourself, this makes producing the artwork you need an easy single command, and generates also useful annotations and placements to make life easier.

If you can't print an A4 PDF at the correct scale then you printer is worthless and you have no hope to ever produce a viable PCB from it with or without my script, or "Viewmate".

Hi SleejMan,

(probably a lot of work....there are newbies who very likely would appreciate your doing so)

Perhaps you could outline, step by step, your process as well as the software tools (+versions) that you use in your process that works for you? I've always wondered how folks use the pdf method? Me, I use Eagle (v5.50, Academic, Standard, used to be around $150), I just print 1:1, gotta watch out though, they scale the print-out without warning, if there are any lines (I print targets and alignment lines to aid double-sided toner-transfer alighnment) outside of the board-size constraint limit.  I'd be curious to know, I'm always interested in new alternative PCB processes.

In any case, thanks for sharing.

bench knob weenie
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:58:07 pm by bench_knob »

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 01:36:55 am »
Perhaps you could outline, step by step, your process as well as the software tools (+versions)

I use dry film UV exposure (mainly, although I use toner transfer for masking pads prior to soldermask application).

Export the Gerbers (or from Fritzing export to PDF works too and that's what I originally developed the script to handle), and use my script to create a single PDF which has the artworks on a single page, my pcb's are usually small enough that it fits 2 columns and 3 rows so I can get 6 artworks (top & bottom, silk, mask and copper) on one sheet. 

The artworks have an added frame, an indicator on a common corner (so you can mark the PCB's edge in one corner and always know "that corner goes there on the artwork"), and spacing between artworks that precisely fit a ruler/T-square to make alignment easier when flipping a board to expose the other side on a flat-bed (eg scanner converted into UV table).

I open the PDF in okular, and print it to tracing paper.

A quick check of dimensions with a ruler, but I've never had a scaling problem, and verify that your parts fit the footprints of course.

Expose (UV leds), develop (sodium carbonate), etch (cupric chloride), inspect (magnifying glass, multimeter continuity beeper) and fix (knife) any shorts.  Strip the resist (sodium carbonate hot and strong, or acetone).

Print the pads-only artwork only onto exercise book covering (polypropylene contact film, any stationary shop)  stuck onto paper, use this to toner-transfer onto the pads, run under cold water until paper soaked and board handle-able, peel off the artwork (no soaking or scrubbing required with this book covering technique).  Repeat to get double toner on the pads if it seems necessary.

Airbrush with slightly thinned Pebeo Vitrea 160 (exactly this product, other similar ones don't work) available from many art supply shops in a variety of colours, when cured it forms a good imitation of a soldermask - durable, non conductive, soldering iron heat resistant and reasonably non-stick to fluxed solder.

Leave (approx 2 hours) until dry to the touch (ignore the 24 hour drying time that on the V 160 label, that's for laying it on thick, an airbrush layer is very thin)

Bake for 40 minutes at 180 degrees C

Cool

Use Acetone to remove the toner.

Drill, insert pcb rivets and solder and confirm continuity, assemble components, debug, throw against wall, resume debugging, lose interest, regain interest, debug more, achieve enlightenment, bask in afterglow.

I don't have a good way to do silkscreen yet.  I guess you could use white Vitrea 160 for the soldermask and toner transfer to get black silk on white mask might be easiest, as long as you don't mind a white solder mask.

(These were single sided hence the jumpers, also, some bodging).
~~~

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf