Author Topic: Room-temperature superconductor  (Read 30796 times)

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
Re: Room-temperature superconductor
« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2023, 01:03:17 am »
thunderfoot and anton, totally enjoyable.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #201 on: August 12, 2023, 09:50:14 am »
The Anton video is good. I forced myself to watch thunderf00t as a comparison and lasted less than a minute.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2023, 10:06:32 am »
The Anton video is good. I forced myself to watch thunderf00t as a comparison and lasted less than a minute.

Yeah. Thunderf00t used to do some really good videos. But then he started getting a bit too aggressive and often too one-sided. At least for me.  Entertaining sure, but not always very fair to the subject matter.
He often comes across like he's actively looking for ways to interpret things to allow them to be torn apart with the biggest impact.   Following the algorithm I guess.  But it used to be more about science.
This video of his isn't actually too but, but in general I think it stands.

That, and when he makes claims that turn out to be factually incorrect, either because the facts were not known at the time of making the video, or because he just made assumptions, he often never corrects his claims or retracts his statement.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 10:27:07 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2023, 11:10:35 am »
He often comes across like he's actively looking for ways to interpret things to allow them to be torn apart with the biggest impact.   Following the algorithm I guess.  But it used to be more about science.

It wasn't actually, his channel was built on the atheism videos plus a lot of internet drama stuff. And after identity poltics destroyed the atheism community the channel focussed a lot on the gender politics stuff, gamergate etc. Busting and science type videos were always smattered in there, but certainly were not what his channel was known for.
A few years back he actually did a user poll on what they want to see on the main channel, and the vast majority wanted only busting and science videos (he was mostly known for busting videos at this point), so that's what he did. He created a 2nd channel VoiceOfThunder for random content.
I'd say science stuff is what his channel is least known for actually.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #204 on: August 12, 2023, 11:13:57 am »

It wasn't actually, his channel was built on the atheism videos plus a lot of internet drama stuff. And after identity poltics destroyed the atheism community the channel focussed a lot on the gender politics stuff, gamergate etc. Busting and science type videos were always smattered in there, but certainly were not what his channel was known for.
A few years back he actually did a user poll on what they want to see on the main channel, and the vast majority wanted only busting and science videos (he was mostly known for busting videos at this point), so that's what he did. He created a 2nd channel VoiceOfThunder for random content.
I'd say science stuff is what his channel is least known for actually.
Actually, from the earliest days he has had two strands of videos on his channel - science and whining. The subject of the whining has varied over time. The science videos were often pretty good. Now the whining and science have completely merged into one thread that does both at the same time.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 11:15:39 am by coppice »

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #205 on: August 12, 2023, 11:18:03 am »

Strange,  I definitely remember his channel as being more science oriented when I used to watch/enjoy it.

If that's true then It's strange how you can remember things with a filter on.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2023, 11:38:51 am »
Strange,  I definitely remember his channel as being more science oriented when I used to watch/enjoy it.
If that's true then It's strange how you can remember things with a filter on.

I get this literally every day in the comments "Your channel used to be about X, now it's about Y"
I've even done videos analysing my last 100 videos and the people making the claims are always wrong.
Nothing usual there, it's human nature to remember what stuff you like and put more weight on it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 11:42:56 am by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2023, 11:45:49 am »
Actually, from the earliest days he has had two strands of videos on his channel - science and whining. The subject of the whining has varied over time. The science videos were often pretty good. Now the whining and science have completely merged into one thread that does both at the same time.

LK99 is pretty unusual in that it combines the spectacular mainstream media hype of Hyperloop proportions, but it's purely about otherwise boring hard core physics research.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #208 on: August 13, 2023, 07:12:23 am »
As far as I had interest to follow, it would seem that the LK-99 more than a superconductor could be classified as 'diamagnetic semiconductor'.

Well, if that is so (and anyway if it is NOT a superconductor), would it still have some practical application?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #209 on: August 13, 2023, 07:55:07 am »
As far as I had interest to follow, it would seem that the LK-99 more than a superconductor could be classified as 'diamagnetic semiconductor'.
Well, if that is so (and anyway if it is NOT a superconductor), would it still have some practical application?

Who knows. But more importantly, who cares after all this hype  :-//

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: August 13, 2023, 08:34:48 am »

LOL!!!   :-DD
Rick C.  --  Puerto Rico is not a country... It's part of the USA
  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #211 on: August 13, 2023, 01:24:14 pm »

A video ftom Asianometry youtube channel on that
https://youtu.be/dBhBqOirJ4A
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #212 on: August 13, 2023, 02:08:40 pm »

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #213 on: August 13, 2023, 08:05:18 pm »

Damn, I'm heartbroken.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #214 on: August 17, 2023, 12:26:19 am »
More frustration from the scientific community.

Bad Science and Room Temperature Superconductors - Sixty Symbols - Professor Philip Moriarty takes issue with a paper by scientists claiming to achieve room temperature superconductivity. Yesterday.

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #215 on: August 17, 2023, 05:12:46 am »
I'm disappointed but not at all surprised. However, one can hope good things will come out of this. Perhaps further research into LK-99 will give us more insight into superconductivity. I'm sure all this news about LK-99 will also get more people interested in materials science.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #216 on: August 17, 2023, 12:01:50 pm »
"LK-99 isn’t a superconductor — how science sleuths solved the mystery"
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02585-7

The following users thanked this post: bitwelder, Dr. Frank, PlainName, deepfryed, AndyBeez

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #217 on: August 17, 2023, 02:20:06 pm »
More frustration from the scientific community.
 Bad Science and Room Temperature Superconductors - Sixty Symbols - Professor Philip Moriarty takes issue with a paper by scientists claiming to achieve room temperature superconductivity. Yesterday.

"LK-99 isn’t a superconductor — how science sleuths solved the mystery"
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02585-7

Have I mentioned, that the "Dr." in my nickname originates from my 1994 PhD thesis:
"Measurement of the AC-Susceptibility and its Higher Harmonics on High Temperature Superconductors"   8)

So that outcome is highly satisfying, because other than Prof. Moriarty, I'm obviously a 'Senior Expert'   :palm: on this science area, and I finally found an application for my unused expertise.   :horse:

I found these documents fishy for the exact same arguments like him, i.e. bad scientific style (an aggressive claim) and mediocre / incomplete measurements.

In this Nature article the decisive magnetic measurements are not well appreciated, which would outscore the meaningless levitation videos.

In the paper from Max-Planck Institute, https://arxiv.org/pdf/2308.06256, they substract the diamagnetic effect of copper from their DC-SQUID measurements.

What's left over is naught superconductivity, but a weak ferromagnetic behavior, maybe with a diamagnetic background, which both can explain the levitation effect.

Frank

PS: As we're still @ eevblog, I'd like to share a picture of my Hartshorn Bridge coils from way back when.. for those AC-Susceptibility measurements.
The leftmost coil has two secondary windings of 523 turns of 40 or 50µm wires in the small chambers, and a long primary wound over them, consisting of 1685 windings of 80µm wire.

An example of a complete coil assembly is on the right side. The Hartshorn Bridge (on an epoxy bobbin) is attached to a non-magnetic steel cylinder.
A calibrated temperature diode is attached at the lengthwise location of the sample, which is fixed inside the borehole of the bobbin.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 03:57:44 pm by Dr. Frank »

The following users thanked this post: KE5FX, TimFox, AVGresponding, AndyBeez, karpouzi9

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #218 on: August 17, 2023, 04:00:19 pm »
Decades ago, there was a legitimate surge in interest for a substance that might evolve into high-temperature superconductivity, and did, indeed, have interesting electronic properties (including one-dimensional conductivity).
The publication rules for Physical Review required the full name of the substance in the title of papers, which was
"tetrathiofulvlene-7,7,8,8-tetracyanoquinodimethane", better known as TTF-TCNQ.
Following good publication guidelines, the first time something was mentioned it had to be spelled out, but later references could use the abbreviation.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #219 on: August 17, 2023, 06:01:50 pm »
Have I mentioned, that the "Dr." in my nickname originates from my 1994 PhD thesis:
"Measurement of the AC-Susceptibility and its Higher Harmonics on High Temperature Superconductors"   8)

Harmonics of AC or harmonics of Susceptibility?  8)
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #220 on: August 17, 2023, 06:12:26 pm »

Harmonics of AC or harmonics of Susceptibility?  8)

I guess, both. In fact, I did an FFT analysis on the ac signal by means of a hp3458A, one of the first available on the market in 1989.
The graphs of these Higher Harmonics were so harmonically symmetric, that my wife always wanted to colorize them.  ;D

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #222 on: March 05, 2024, 08:53:15 am »
They are still arguing and experimenting with the levitation effect, which is no proof at all.

As already explained, a very simple, proper magnetic measurement of the susceptibility is required, AC and DC susceptibility.
Complex AC measurements can be done very easily by means of a Hartshorn bridge and a Lock-In. That's the easiest way to show the diamagnetic effect plus the electrical superconductivity.

The presentation shown on 'X' does not reveal any striking new information.

Frank 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 09:53:13 am by Dr. Frank »

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #223 on: March 07, 2024, 03:02:44 am »
Well, to be fair, Dua Lipa is also levitating, and for some reason I find this more exciting. :-DD

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #224 on: March 07, 2024, 09:15:15 am »
As already explained, a very simple, proper magnetic measurement of the susceptibility is required, AC and DC susceptibility.
In a localized domain superconductor the bulk material could have a combination of superconduction and semiconductor junctions. That's going to be tricky to measure magnetically.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf