Poll

Is your country eligible?

Yes
271 (65.1%)
No
145 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 406

Voting closed: March 29, 2016, 12:24:45 am

Author Topic: Keysight Scope Giveaway  (Read 185236 times)

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
Re: Keysight Scope Giveaway
« Reply #400 on: March 24, 2016, 12:19:06 pm »
I am sure Keysight is not breaking any laws in this so I do take it as a fact what they tell me.

But what exactly are they telling you? Because, somehow, you seem to be the only one who was told by KS that there is no VAT to be paid on their prize, anyone else has to. Seems quite strange...  :-//
Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
  • A Finn in Scotland. Audio Apps Engineer and Maker.
    • nihtila.com DIY audio electronics
« Reply #401 on: March 24, 2016, 12:46:46 pm »
I am sure Keysight is not breaking any laws in this so I do take it as a fact what they tell me.

But what exactly are they telling you? Because, somehow, you seem to be the only one who was told by KS that there is no VAT to be paid on their prize, anyone else has to. Seems quite strange...  :-//

I believe I am also the only UK based winner in this thread. In that sense it is not inconsistent. And one was US which is completely different case, and I don't know what is the problem with Germany but it also doesn't seem to be the first time having some tax issues there. Would be interesting to hear from other countries as well.

Again, I do not have any knowledge or experience of my own on these issues.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 12:52:36 pm by nihtila »
http://nihtila.com - Vegan DIY audio electronics, does not contain snake oil

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #402 on: March 24, 2016, 12:54:34 pm »
It is, because the UK is part of the EU and the laws regarding import of goods from non-EU countries are the same within the member countries...  :P

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #403 on: March 24, 2016, 01:14:51 pm »
I believe I am also the only UK based winner in this thread. In that sense it is not inconsistent.

Who do did you put down as your distributor? Are we better off specifying Farnell or RS rather than a small local one.

BTW: This was happens in Ireland when you tell your Chinese supplier to specify your garlic shipments as apples:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-17320460
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:19:33 pm by Towger »

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
  • A Finn in Scotland. Audio Apps Engineer and Maker.
    • nihtila.com DIY audio electronics
« Reply #404 on: March 24, 2016, 01:28:07 pm »
I don't think the distributor matters. Maybe they just want you to pick one so that they don't seem to favour anyone.

And I am done with the tax discussion, I don't _know_ anything so I have nothing to add, just hope I will get my scope :-)
http://nihtila.com - Vegan DIY audio electronics, does not contain snake oil

Offline rch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #405 on: March 24, 2016, 01:48:08 pm »
I have never experienced any VAT issues myself, I am just an employee and also just recently moved to the UK.

I do trust Keysight on this but one general question regarding sweepstakes, let's say in the UK in this case. If I get my prize without paying anything and later someone notices that things didn't go by the book, is there any change that the taxman would come after me? Or is the one who gave the prize they are after? After all, it is not me who accounts any money to the taxman but the seller/giver, right?

The situation is different in the US where prizes are considered as income, then the individual is responsible for accounting to the taxman?

Is this correct?

Unless perhaps you import something yourself, a non-VAT registered individual is never responsible for the VAT as far as I can see.  I am 99% sure that if any VAT wasn't paid it would be the responsibility of whoever gave or sold you the item.

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #406 on: March 24, 2016, 02:00:37 pm »
The distributor will import the scope "on behalf of a third party", in this particular case of the winner of the prize. It is the same as if the scope was imported by the winner himself, he gets charged with the VAT on import. I'm no expert on this, it's just what i've been told by an tax accountant.

Offline rch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #407 on: March 24, 2016, 02:58:22 pm »
The distributor will import the scope "on behalf of a third party", in this particular case of the winner of the prize. It is the same as if the scope was imported by the winner himself, he gets charged with the VAT on import. I'm no expert on this, it's just what i've been told by an tax accountant.
That makes sense.   But you'd still have to agree to them acting as your agent.  Unlike a courier who can assume that whoever they deliver the goods to has to pay.

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #408 on: March 24, 2016, 03:19:54 pm »
Well, there's a contract to be signed by the winners. By accepting the prize and all consequent liabilities they've got you by the balls  ;D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #409 on: March 25, 2016, 01:26:53 am »
I doubt they would be too worried about your balls ... they're just protecting their own.

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #410 on: March 25, 2016, 08:33:03 am »
Anyway. It just isn't a very smart idea to accept the prize "just to see what happens". You will end up with a substantial VAT bill (as clearly stated by KS, several times) and if you aren't willing or able to pay it, just don't sign teh contract. It will save both sides a lot of hassle  :P

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #411 on: March 26, 2016, 06:30:39 am »
I have a question that I'd appreciate a little clarification about and which might be a good idea to clarify in the instructions in future sitiuations.

As I recall the instructions say that one can enter once a day, ok, fine, and I assume that something or other (what is not clear) happens if one submits entries more than once a day -- maybe all entries for the day are invalidated, maybe all but one are invalidated, maybe every entry for every day is invalidated, I don't know, I saw no mention.

Speaking just from experience, not from insider knowledge: It tells you you've already entered today, and doesn't accept any more entries from you until the next day. (Presumably, if you do somehow enter multiple times in one day, they'll remove all but one of your entries prior to drawing.)
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #412 on: March 26, 2016, 06:48:23 am »
I have to ask..

Do you have a need for an oscilloscope?

Yes, within 3 months.
Yes, within 12 months.
No, not within the next year.

How does this work?  :-//

If you're in the market for a scope, we'll contact you about it (probably an e-mail?).  It has no bearing whatsoever on your chances of winning.

Which means Keysight is trying to keep their spamming to a minimum?  :-+

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #413 on: March 26, 2016, 07:17:33 am »
(...)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/keysight-scopmonth-taxes-when-winning-marketing-bullshit/msg901833/#msg901833

If these are the actual (and updated?) Declaration and Release Form, can I not win if I'm not in the countries listed in 3.?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 08:02:58 am by TheAmmoniacal »

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #414 on: March 26, 2016, 11:56:50 am »
Any news on the warranty issue?

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #415 on: March 26, 2016, 05:59:34 pm »
I also heard you're giving out mugs? Yes please! (I'll pay the shipping if necessary)

(or a shirt)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 06:05:11 pm by TheAmmoniacal »

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #416 on: March 26, 2016, 06:49:48 pm »
Any news on the warranty issue?

Haven't heard back yet, the guy who knows is on vacation and back in town next week.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #417 on: March 26, 2016, 10:32:09 pm »
I also heard you're giving out mugs? Yes please! (I'll pay the shipping if necessary)
Good idea  :-+ A Keysight mug would be a nice addition to all the HP/Agilent/Keysight equipment I have here.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #418 on: March 26, 2016, 10:57:03 pm »
Yeah, been an Agilent fan for some time now, the only piece of gear i own that's not Agilent is my oscilloscope (slowly adapting to the new name...). I even convinced our lab technician in the chemistry department to get an Agilent spectrophotometer!

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #419 on: March 27, 2016, 03:30:19 am »
So I've been registering every day for the Keysight scope drawing.  I've read a lot on the threads here about the tax liability and as a US resident I guess I'd have to pay several thousand dollars income tax if I win one.  I thought for a while about that and decided to look at it from a different angle.

If I went to a bankruptcy auction at a local electronics business, and found a new in box Keysight scope worth $15000, and I had a chance to bid $3000 and win the auction, I probably wouldn't hesitate to do so.  So why should I complain about having to pay that amount to the tax man to have one?

But, if I bought one at an auction for $3000 it would be with the idea of reselling it for a profit.  Somehow it wouldn't feel quite as right to resell one I won in a contest. 

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #420 on: March 27, 2016, 04:07:37 am »
An honest reflection.

Somehow it wouldn't feel quite as right to resell one I won in a contest. 

If I were in your shoes, I would not be too concerned about selling a prize you got from the manufacturer.  It's a rather impersonal 'professional' relationship and I doubt Keysight would be worried.

Winning the ones Dave has available is something a bit different.  Entry conditions are directly related to the EEVBlog and the interests shared.  It is a much more personal involvement.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #421 on: March 27, 2016, 07:55:14 am »
I haven't been following this thread. How many EEVblog forum members won a scope this month? Any count?

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #422 on: March 27, 2016, 08:25:21 am »
5 winners I'm aware of.

Regarding the prize: I think it's a mental thing. Don't think of it as a win. A win would be a free gift given to you at no cost (European style). Think of it more as an offer, given to you by KS, to buy one of their scopes at an reduced price. It suddenly becomes much more attractive this way. And you certainly wouldn't hesitate to sell something you bought with your own money, would you?   :-BROKE

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #423 on: March 27, 2016, 12:36:44 pm »
5 winners I'm aware of.

That's quite a representation - especially when more than a third of members haven't been able to enter (according to the poll).

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #424 on: March 27, 2016, 12:40:21 pm »
5 winners I'm aware of.

That in itself makes Eevblog a compelling marketing machine in the industry. Eevblog got a mention in one of the daily vids too.

Certainly if I was offered a new scope at effectively  80% off for a limited period and limited availability I'd be going for it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf