Author Topic: Youtube videos no longer work in my browser.  (Read 5236 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Youtube videos no longer work in my browser.
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2020, 08:50:48 pm »
Playing youtube in the browser does not work well on any platform. Use something like newpipe on android.
Youtube seems to do fine in various browsers and platforms. The issues I experience with Youtube aren't of a technological nature.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2020, 09:46:37 pm »
I though I was old... but Raspberry-Pi is dead isn't it???
Like Beta vs VHS !   :-DD

Mind me asking, what killed it?

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2020, 10:53:51 pm »
Popularity.

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2020, 12:34:48 pm »
I though I was old... but Raspberry-Pi is dead isn't it???
Like Beta vs VHS !   :-DD

Mind me asking, what killed it?

Do you mean the 'Raspberry Pi' or 'Beta' ??
Like most things in life, it just gets down to timing & chance. 'Beta' may have overtaken 'VHS', but
simply came down to what was popular/promoted the most at the time. With 'Raspberry', it was a
'fad' at the time, that could have gone anywhere, rightly or wrongly, that was destroyed by 'Arduino'  8)
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2020, 10:14:38 pm »
Do you mean the 'Raspberry Pi' or 'Beta' ??
Like most things in life, it just gets down to timing & chance. 'Beta' may have overtaken 'VHS', but
simply came down to what was popular/promoted the most at the time. With 'Raspberry', it was a
'fad' at the time, that could have gone anywhere, rightly or wrongly, that was destroyed by 'Arduino'  8)
I don't think Arduino killed the Raspberry Pi. If anything the Raspberry has been stealing market share from Arduino boards, though they service somewhat different markets. The Raspberry Pi enjoys a sprawling and expanding ecosystem.

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2020, 12:14:39 am »
Feel free to disregard ANY comments to the tune of "get a Raspberry pi, and..." - yeah, no, don't. Whoever is offering such terrible "advice" is doing so because they're a "fan" of the Pi and therefore, when you have a hammer, EVERYTHING is a nail that needs said hammer. The Pi is useful for many things, but as a USEFUL and PRACTICAL OS for daily use, even the thought of recommending it immediately signals a red flag in my mind, saying "this person doesn't know what they're on about" - DO NOT use the Pi for that.

Here's the problem with nerds & engineers - they think because THEY have the time to fanny and faff around with niche, obscure "solutions", then everyone else will find it useful too. Nope - there's BETTER ways - even, GASP, dare I say, the ever-crappy Amazon Fire TV stick is an infinitely better browsing experience than on the Pi.

Occum's razor applies here - use the SIMPLEST solution, not a Pi "just because it's a pi, and we need to be seen applying them as a one-size-fits-all to every conceivable problem" No no no no NO! WRONG mindset!

Use anything BUT a Pi, and you'll be calm and stress free.

The following users thanked this post: wraper, PlainName, Muttley Snickers

Offline Muttley SnickersTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2020, 12:47:37 am »
OP Update
A mate heard about my problem and has dropped off an Intel PC Stick (SC1-INT 2015) which he no longer needs. It runs Windows 8.1 and I hooked it up but it asked for a password and he didn't know what it was so I now need to default the device and try again.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2020, 03:31:58 am »
Here's the problem with nerds & engineers - they think because THEY have the time to fanny and faff around with niche, obscure "solutions", then everyone else will find it useful too. Nope - there's BETTER ways - even, GASP, dare I say, the ever-crappy Amazon Fire TV stick is an infinitely better browsing experience than on the Pi.
Why suggest something that resists being customized to work the way you want it to work (hard to root) as opposed to a well supported platform that is specifically designed to be customized? For example, installing an adblocker.

That said, something like the ODROID C4 might be a better choice.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2020, 09:03:02 am »
Why suggest something that resists being customized to work the way you want it to work (hard to root) as opposed to a well supported platform that is specifically designed to be customized? For example, installing an adblocker.

That said, something like the ODROID C4 might be a better choice.
Yeah, why choosing something that's not customizable but just works as it should over something that sucks for the task but you can tinker with it? No Idea  :-//

Online Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2020, 09:20:43 am »
but they are not really an ideal solution in the bedroom, the TV with all its faults has been a good compromise in that regard

Wait - your ideal ..ahem.. 'bedtime' viewing is a Dave video? The TV could the least of your problems  ^-^
Falling asleep with the infinite ramblings of Dave in the background? :blah:

You could use a Chromecast and use your phone as controller. You milage may vary.

I bought an Intel NUC aside my cheap smart tv to play streaming video. It can also play blu-ray quality 4k HDR mkv's, which the TV cannot (not even over USB). It has IR, so you can get a remote for it. Built-in bluetooth for a keyboard with touchpad. Possibilities enough. You just have to pay €500 and accept that even the most expensive smart tv is a dumpsterfire.
I'm not satisfied with the noise of the nuc though, it has a fan and playing 4k video makes it work

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline gnif

• Administrator
  • Views and opinions are my own
    • AMD
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2020, 06:30:41 am »
RPi2 or later with LibreElec (Kodi) and the YouTube plugin works great, simple, cheap, and will handle 4K just fine.
SMTS Software Development Engineer @ AMD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2020, 07:54:36 am »
Using libreelec and kodi here. +1 for that. Although I’m using a PC (fanless Lenovo M600).

Mostly because my TV has broken ass HDCP so I can’t use any commercial streaming boxes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf