Author Topic: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.  (Read 588389 times)

Offline ArdWar

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Your pet peeve, technical or otherwise.
« Reply #3750 on: August 09, 2023, 07:32:36 am »
Who decides that this is:
  • Good relation between resistor values and switching frequency.
  • Good selection of resistor values even if we accept that the relation is arbitrary.
  • What's with the wide gap in the selection of switching frequencies anyway.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 07:35:05 am by ArdWar »

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3751 on: August 09, 2023, 08:11:46 am »
Resistance goes up, frequency goes up. And down.

A chart would have been so much better.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #3752 on: August 09, 2023, 08:57:11 am »

Offline ArdWar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3753 on: August 09, 2023, 09:11:04 am »
I like to plot resistor values in log since that's mostly what I expect the response will be. Higher values *looks* linear, but lower values are arbitrary.
I won't even try to interpolate since datasheet don't even guarantee operation besides 1% within specified values...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 09:14:56 am by ArdWar »

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3754 on: August 09, 2023, 12:40:19 pm »
I don't plot very often, but when I do, I copy/paste this in a terminal:
Code: [Select]
echo -e " \
3.92 400 \n \
4.75 200 \n \
5.76 303 \n \
7.87 100 \n \
11 500 \n \
17.8 1818 \n \
42.2 2000 \n \
124 2222 \n" | \
gnuplot -p -e 'set logscale x; set grid; set grid mxtics; set xlabel "kOhm"; set ylabel "kHz"; plot "-" with linespoints linecolor "red" pointtype 15 notitle'

8)

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3755 on: August 10, 2023, 07:26:42 am »
When I hear the following words, "modern" "newer", "pretty", "trendy", "contemporary", used in such a way like below, I don't think I fully understand what they are trying to say other than what I think they think I am stupid and confused, don't know what I am doing and not mean't to understand other than to buy into it by the nicely sounding words they put together:

https://mountlighting.co.uk/led-lighting-vs-fluorescent-lighting/
The M-Line Range from Mount Lighting provides a smart  :bullshit: , modern  :bullshit:, aesthetically crisp  :bullshit: and clean luminaire :bullshit: system with the versatility  :bullshit: to incorporate endless  :bullshit: feature design concepts.

BUZZWORD BULLSHIT: Smart, modern, aesthetically crisp, clean luminaire, versatility
Sounds so meaningless to me.

Translated: "The M-Line Range from Mount Lightning provides lightning styles and fittings of the latest trends with lots of accessories and addons to choose from to help fit your application and lightning requirements. "

Does that sound clearer and accurate on what they are trying to say?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 07:28:59 am by MrMobodies »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #3756 on: August 10, 2023, 11:52:30 pm »
MrMobodies, non-native english speaker here...

Despite I could understand both sentences, I personally think the separation of adjectives using commas brings me a clearer and better defined list of concepts/advantages/features to the product line.

Sure, it has buzz words, but the "trends" in your sentence seems also "buzzy" to me. :-D
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3757 on: August 11, 2023, 10:48:52 pm »
When I hear the following words, "modern" "newer", "pretty", "trendy", "contemporary", used in such a way like below, I don't think I fully understand what they are trying to say other than what I think they think I am stupid and confused, don't know what I am doing and not mean't to understand other than to buy into it by the nicely sounding words they put together:

https://mountlighting.co.uk/led-lighting-vs-fluorescent-lighting/
The M-Line Range from Mount Lighting provides a smart  :bullshit: , modern  :bullshit:, aesthetically crisp  :bullshit: and clean luminaire :bullshit: system with the versatility  :bullshit: to incorporate endless  :bullshit: feature design concepts.

BUZZWORD BULLSHIT: Smart, modern, aesthetically crisp, clean luminaire, versatility
Sounds so meaningless to me.

Translated: "The M-Line Range from Mount Lightning provides lightning styles and fittings of the latest trends with lots of accessories and addons to choose from to help fit your application and lightning requirements. "

Does that sound clearer and accurate on what they are trying to say?

Do they do ball lightning, or just the regular jagged stuff? ;D

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3758 on: August 12, 2023, 01:45:12 am »
Oops sorry, lighting not lightning.

Do they do ball lightning, or just the regular jagged stuff? ;D
Maybe PhotonicInduction could fix something up.

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3759 on: August 17, 2023, 10:32:12 am »
PDF files that are named "aaeueijfj223132123.pdf" when downloaded instead of "widget_datasheet.pdf"

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3760 on: August 17, 2023, 11:23:17 am »
PDF files that are named "aaeueijfj223132123.pdf" when downloaded instead of "widget_datasheet.pdf"
Oh yes. And more generally, when you download a file for e.g. a driver or a firmware update, and the file name doesn't have any relationship with the product, the software and/or the version in question.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3761 on: August 17, 2023, 11:51:20 am »
Oh yes. And more generally, when you download a file for e.g. a driver or a firmware update, and the file name doesn't have any relationship with the product, the software and/or the version in question.
And W10 goes & hides it somewhere other than the folder you downloaded it to.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #3762 on: August 17, 2023, 01:01:36 pm »
My win11 has been beaten into submission & runs mostly ok most of the time.
I re-name files and work the folders manually
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3763 on: August 17, 2023, 11:47:28 pm »
My win11 has been beaten into submission & runs mostly ok most of the time.
I re-name files and work the folders manually
That's what I mainly do, now.
The annoying thing is that sometimes it works properly!

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3764 on: August 18, 2023, 07:06:55 pm »
Computer mice whose button is low enough such that every time you bump into the keyboard it clicks and holds down the left button!!!!
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3765 on: August 18, 2023, 08:55:59 pm »
Computer mice whose button is low enough such that every time you bump into the keyboard it clicks and holds down the left button!!!!

How about every surface has to be clickable so if you grab the mouse a little bit to quickly you end up changing a setting or some other annoying thing.

People at work are always confused when they watch me on a computer as I do a fair amount if stuff using the keyboard. The mouse is only used when I need it.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3766 on: August 18, 2023, 09:41:45 pm »
Well, there can be the opposite problem where there are so many keyboard short cuts that it doesn't take much in the way of mistyping to do something you had no idea you did.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3767 on: August 19, 2023, 09:08:53 am »
Not to mention typing a whole ream of stuff into some window that grabbed focus when you didn't notice.

But while we're on this, I loathe the web page full of clickable, hoverable images (think shopping site, or TV schedule) so there's no space to click to set focus without activating something.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 09:10:35 am by PlainName »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #3768 on: August 19, 2023, 12:05:51 pm »
Not to mention typing a whole ream of stuff into some window that grabbed focus when you didn't notice.
Especially when you are typing your enterprise password but the focus is stolen to an internal group chat window. 😡

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3769 on: August 19, 2023, 12:07:32 pm »
Especially when you are typing your enterprise password but the focus is stolen to an internal group chat window. 😡
Enterprise password? That's nothing. Try doing that with your on-line banking.

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3770 on: August 19, 2023, 08:20:13 pm »

But yours isn't that hard to guess,
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #3771 on: August 20, 2023, 10:58:59 am »
Indeed that would be even worse. However for online banking I isolate the host: no chats or other online activities other than the banking application or web application itself... Somewhat easy to do with a VM, although with the massive drawback of the extra disk space.

Offline AlbertL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3772 on: August 21, 2023, 02:41:58 pm »
One of my pet peeves: After a serious accident or crime, the company or government agency responsible for the location that puts out a press release saying "The safety of our customers, employees and the public is our highest priority".

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3773 on: August 21, 2023, 06:42:14 pm »
One of my pet peeves: After a serious accident or crime, the company or government agency responsible for the location that puts out a press release saying "The safety of our customers, employees and the public is our highest priority".

You mean the prearranged responses designed to appease the public while at the same time avoiding any sort of legal issues. Sadly it is what they are expected to say to avoid the press making a big thing that they didn't say anything. It is much like "Our hearts go out to those affected". With the quote you mentioned, I wonder what their 9001 auditors would say as it should be a clear statement in the manual that this is the company policy and above things like making massive profits.

Often the bit that peeves me when something goes wrong is even though the emergency services work 24/7 and do what they can but if you need anyone from the council emergency planning departments or the highways departments good luck as these people work 9-5 mon-fri. It was noticeable when there was flooding or snow that people I would be dealing with would fail to respond, this meant getting access to the sandbags they have in stock was almost impossible so houses flooded and other issues. It took two days to reopen the road near me the other week after flooding dragged a ton of mud and gravel onto the roads because it happened at 4pm then when they got in the next day the office wasn't geared up to deal with an issue on the rural roads and not the motorways.
--

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3774 on: September 04, 2023, 06:21:55 pm »
I watched Dave's Fluke Volt Alert video today - and of course it prompted me to check my batteries in my volt alert -- aagh getting into this was a pain, I eventually substituted my inferior finger strength with a vice (rubber protected jaws  :phew: - Energiser Max OK
In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught - Hunter S Thompson

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf