Author Topic: You think you are an expert? How does this work (UPDATED with solution):  (Read 20573 times)

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
Re: You think you are an expert? How does this work:
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 02:02:18 am »

If one is so clever that one roams these premises, i would think that one would be so clever that one understood this.
But maybe i`m wrong..   ???

Sometimes it is hardest to see that which is right in front of you... or within you.

No snow here yet.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 02:23:02 am »
The one constant being that whatever the shitfight  on this forum, Kiriakos is always contributing at least his 50%.

The Greek, Internet,  equivalent of Pattinson's Curse.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 03:19:42 am »
The one constant being that whatever the shitfight  on this forum, Kiriakos is always contributing at least his 50%.

The Greek, Internet,  equivalent of Pattinson's Curse.

The forum Ghost came back from the Grave for another rematch and killing his boring to death free time.

With all this madness you have greatly damage this forum.
But why to care about it ?

Oh I just remembered it , this is not a forum is the tea cup of Dave.. 

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 04:42:03 am »
For the retards above, there is no video editing.

This is doable. 1st and 3rd led are in the same direction, you can see at 2:04 he completes a loop with his fingers and 1st and 3rd leds glow. Switches ARE modified (author claim), I assume they contain diodes, and ON/OFF label has been reversed on some. I also suspect the 9v battery is an AC source (author claims it's not). LEDs might have tiny SMDs between legs.

From the evidence you presented,us "retards" could well be forgiven for considering it a video fake.
Only by chasing it up on Youtube was I able to find any information from the original poster on that "forum".
Even then,I didn't find any claim of a modified switch,or denial of an AC source,but unfortunately,I could only read the English content of the comments,most of which were also shouting "fake"!

Most of us "retards" are not sufficiently gullible as to take the original video author's assurances as Gospel,&
looked for a more rational answer to what is,if it was true to the schematic,& the visible wiring,impossible.

VK6ZGO

Offline WartexTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://headsplosive.com
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 04:49:42 am »
Aspergers is 'the engineers disease', so you will probably find that a higher proportion of people here are aspies  ;)

There are various levels of 'functionality' and many have worked out that if you want to participate in social endeavours, even on line ones, a certain level of polite behaviour is required, even if you don't want the other participants to be 'your friends'  :)

You are spot on !
I work with a lot of engineers, and a lot of them are aspies.

But, we do try, the most of us, to behave in a polite way. That is not to say that we  can say, by accident something that offend somebody. But when told, it hurts us the most.
Most aspies are realy clever people, but socially awkward.  But we try to do our best to blend in.  :)
Those who don't,  must really struggle in the day to day life, and i do feel for them.It cant be easy.

If one is so clever that one roams these premises, i would think that one would be so clever that one understood this.
But maybe i`m wrong..   ???

Annyhow, soon Xmas.. the snow is here and its peaceful here in Norway. And i hope that it stays that way for everybody..

One of the first things a psychiatrist will tell you about DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) books is that laymen should NEVER EVER read them because there is 100% chance of multiple, completely wrong diagnoses. If you read DSM-IV you will find that you have symptoms of all kinds of mental disorders. Asperger's syndrome is revealed in manifestation of certain traits, emerging behaviors and can only be properly confirmed by a trained psychiatrist. Being socially awkward is absolutely no way related to having AS. People online who call someone highly functioning autistic or having ADHD or Aspergers without any proper training are just stupid assholes who talk out of their ass, ignore them. Statistically, there is virtually no people on this forum that have any serious mental deviations. I have a short fuse and very direct way of saying things, and I think Kiriakos is just lonely (at least internally) and has a lot of misplaced enthusiasm. I don't truly believe he is a moron or inherently evil bastard, I think he is just "attention whoring".

We are ultimately here to draw information and share experience for the common good. We strive as a group, but on individual level no one gives a shit about anybody else. If one of you died tomorrow in a car fire, Dave or anybody else wouldn't give 2 shits about you, just face it. It's not because we are emotionless drones, it's because there is no personal emotional attachment, we are just "avatars" online. And don't idolize anyone, please.

There is a petty argument that pops up here and there and we need to either make it comedic or stop it right then, otherwise S/N ratio of the forum gets really low. There are some moderators here who shall remain unnamed who have 1000+ posts and there is literally and dozen of post that are of real value, the rest is just generic, irrelevant fluff.

This thread is not about aspergers, Christmas or me or Kiriakos. This thread is about finding a solution to the puzzle. So far I have seen ONE weak and not really applicable solution. Please get back on topic.

Offline WartexTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://headsplosive.com
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 05:15:00 am »

This is doable. 1st and 3rd led are in the same direction, you can see at 2:04 he completes a loop with his fingers and 1st and 3rd leds glow. Switches ARE modified (author claim), I assume they contain diodes, and ON/OFF label has been reversed on some. I also suspect the 9v battery is an AC source (author claims it's not). LEDs might have tiny SMDs between legs.

From the evidence you presented,us "retards" could well be forgiven for considering it a video fake.
Only by chasing it up on Youtube was I able to find any information from the original poster on that "forum".
Even then,I didn't find any claim of a modified switch,or denial of an AC source,but unfortunately,I could only read the English content of the comments,most of which were also shouting "fake"!

Most of us "retards" are not sufficiently gullible as to take the original video author's assurances as Gospel,&
looked for a more rational answer to what is,if it was true to the schematic,& the visible wiring,impossible.

VK6ZGO

Lucky for me I speak more than 1 language and I can read Polish. He stated that the circuit has missing components but is serial like drawn, and some components have been added but not visible. I am not asking to guess how 3 incandescent bulbs in series can be controlled with series switches, am I?
The point of this exercise is to find our own plausible implementation of this. Here's one:

Hackaday comments for more ideas: http://hackaday.com/2011/12/19/ask-hackaday-troll-physics-edition/#comments

Offline joedevola

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2011, 05:20:26 am »
Hey Wartex, you have just added to the S/N ratio  ;)

Anyway, I was not 'diagnosing' anybody, simply making a comment to someone who revealed that they have been diagnosed.  For what it is worth, the statement about engineers having a higher incidence of Aspergers is a statement of fact, not a diagnosis. You are correct about lay-opinion about reading the DSM, however my observations are based on both living with my son who is diagnosed with AS and having been diagnosed myself.  Having said that, AS does appear to be the 'flavour of the month' diagnosis, like ADHD was  :o

Even if you don't want to be my friend, I wish you a merry Christmas  :)

PS, I am interested in discovering the 'trick' of that video too  :)
No, I don't call myself an engineer ;)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2011, 07:13:18 am »
............ but one can be friends,have manners and communicate in a polite way, that works best.
Like this here ? -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5458.msg71160#msg71160

............. I don't scam manufacturers into sending me free gear like you do.
Forget about expensive gears, apparently you haven't seen the "better" one, here a fine example of a really pathetic attempt to scam few of these lowly cheap onehunglow nimh batteries like this here -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5327.msg69783#msg69783

Just worry these kind of activities will affect/hurt Dave's reputation among manufacturers, cause there is a possibility that this kind of "beggars" are riding this website's popularity, and they're sorta claiming that its a collaboration work with Dave in order to keep these scams going, who knows ? Especially those Chinese manufacturers that most of the times we know that they're quite poor in English and its quite logical that within thousands of attempts which cost them zilch, they might scored a few successes.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:01:00 am by BravoV »

Offline LEECH666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2011, 07:35:29 am »

VK6ZGO

This is exactly what I thought. The video posted on Youtube fails to assign you the task of thinking a little deeper. It fails to tell you "hey these components might not be what they look like", and the shematic makes it easy to assume the whole thing is fake/edited with after effects.

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011, 08:43:13 am »
Hi Wartex,

Congratulations! Your circuit is much simpler than the one I explained this to myself (three oscillators, three band-pass filters). The batter is likely just a battery, but there is an oscillator somewhere, either inside the first switch (he had to remove the sticker to pry it open?) or inside the battery connector. Just guessing...
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline hacklordsniper

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't turn it on, take it apart!
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 08:52:15 am »
Why bother, it cant and will not work, ever and never  :)
Oh, the joy of sending various electronics to silicon heaven

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2011, 09:49:31 am »
Greetings EEVBees:

--Ah, once again we hear from UV, alias Frack. He has had Kiriakos on his ignore list for lo these many months, yet he still rings in with nonsequitur, every time he sees Mr. K mentioned, even when he does not know what has been said. "See, I cannot see what you wrote, but you have to see what I wrote, ha ha ha." Frequently he begs, and pleads, and whimpers, for people to add Mr. K to their ignore lists. Not satisfied to insult Mr. K, frequently, he has to insult the entire Greek nation. What class! How infantile! Too bad a dingo did not get this baby.

--"There once was a nuncle called Vernon,
Who had a real problem learnin'
The folks he'd implore
his foes to ignore,
so hot was his jealousy burnin"
Gator Dundee 1948 -

--Ah, then of course we have Wartex alias Fudd, who gets weally weally angwee when anyone disagwees with him. Sometimes he posts in truly huge fonts, in order for us to catch on to how "weally weally angwee" he is. His latest kick is to hold the entire Greek nation and Mr. K in particular responsible for pederastic practices in the Greco-Roman milieu more than 2000 years ago. This subject seems to hold a strange fascination for this erstwhile denizen from the land of Moosehead and Cedar Shakes. You know the place where the Canadian Human Rights Commission tried to censor Mark Steyn in perpetuity for quoting hatemongers and preachers of violence in an article in Maclean's Magazine. Do you think we should blame Fudd and everybody in MacKensie Paper Towel Land for the transgressions of the Ottawa fascists. I do not.

"There once was a spammer named Wartex,
Whose mind was pulled into the vortex.
His rage was so manic,
He'd post fonts gigantic,
To ease the great hate in his cortex.
Gator Dundee 1948 -

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2011, 09:59:13 am »
Greetings EEVBees:

--Ah, once again we hear from UV, alias Frack. He has had Kiriakos on his ignore list for lo these many months, yet he still rings in with nonsequitur, every time he sees Mr. K mentioned, even when he does not know what has been said. "See, I cannot see what you wrote, but you have to see what I wrote, ha ha ha." Frequently he begs, and pleads, and whimpers, for people to add Mr. K to their ignore lists. Not satisfied to insult Mr. K, frequently, he has to insult the entire Greek nation. What class! How infantile! Too bad a dingo did not get this baby.

--"There once was a nuncle called Vernon,
Who had a real problem learnin'
The folks he'd implore
his foes to ignore,
so hot was his jealousy burnin"
Gator Dundee 1948 -

--Ah, then of course we have Wartex alias Fudd, who gets weally weally angwee when anyone disagwees with him. Sometimes he posts in truly huge fonts, in order for us to catch on to how "weally weally angwee" he is. His latest kick is to hold the entire Greek nation and Mr. K in particular responsible for pederastic practices in the Greco-Roman milieu more than 2000 years ago. This subject seems to hold a strange fascination for this erstwhile denizen from the land of Moosehead and Cedar Shakes. You know the place where the Canadian Human Rights Commission tried to censor Mark Steyn in perpetuity for quoting hatemongers and preachers of violence in an article in Maclean's Magazine. Do you think we should blame Fudd and everybody in MacKensie Paper Towel Land for the transgressions of the Ottawa fascists. I do not.

"There once was a spammer named Wartex,
Whose mind was pulled into the vortex.
His rage was so manic,
He'd post fonts gigantic,
To ease the great hate in his cortex.
Gator Dundee 1948 -

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Well said.

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011, 10:17:07 am »
Gee,that was fun! ;D
Getting back to the original topic,however,I still have a problem with your circuit,Wartex.
I can see how Sw1 & Sw3 would turn on their associated LEDs,but I have a bit of a problem with Sw2.
How about a description?

VK6ZGO

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 10:33:30 am »
Ok guys, knock it off.
I'm seriously contemplating going through and deleting every personal attack post in this thread regardless of whether it has content or not, and the thought of having to do that just pisses me off and ruins my day.
Cut out the personal attacks, please. I don't want to have to heavy hand moderate this forum.
But given the choice between enforcing moderation or just letting the personal attacks continue, I'm going to have to reluctantly chose the former.

Dave.

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2011, 10:39:57 am »
I'm going to have to go with Occam's razor on this one.
There is probably some really complex and elaborate electronic method to do this trick, but it would take about 5 mins with Final Cut Pro to "light up" those LEDs.
If it's not editing, then it may just be lens flare; but there is a bit where the light is in front of his finger:

Dave, any ideas on how this might have been accomplished?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2011, 10:49:06 am »
Dave, any ideas on how this might have been accomplished?

I just watched it and haven't given it much thought. But obviously:
- The battery can be hacked. Likely a bunch of cells removed and replaced with some circuitry. Even the battery snap could have something in it.
- The LED's could be drilled out and replaced with a tiny SMD led and some circuitry, and then re-potted with leads. Very fiddly, but possible I think.
- The switches are big, probably for a reason. Once again, circuitry internal very likely.

With any or all of those things, pick your method of control...

Dave.

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2011, 11:27:15 am »
How about this:  You drill the LEDs and put a dallas 1-wire switch like the DS2405 or DS2413, a zener shunt regulator, and an LED.  You wire up as many devices in series as you want with a current limiting resistor.  The battery can be just a battery.  Each switch contains a small microcontroller powered by its own coin cell and a normally closed MOSFET switch shorting the switch terminals.  With a bit more care you could probably have the circuits in the switch powered by the battery, but a small coin cell easily fits and makes things simpler.  Now, when you flip a switch, the microcontroller opens and closes the switch to transmit the 1-wire address of the corresponding LED, causing it to toggle.  You are limited in the number of LEDs only by the available battery voltage.  A 9 V battery should be able to do a chain of 3, but you could easily fit a higher voltage battery in a 9V battery can.  Sounds like a right pain in the ass, but it should be doable.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2011, 02:47:11 am »
Thread cleaned up with all last comments deleted as a matter of course, I hope everyone understands, and that it never has to happen again.
Kiriakos has been banned, I've had enough pot stirring.
Back to your regular scheduled thread...

Dave.

Offline ron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2011, 05:58:56 am »
Whew! Back to topic. 
Could this be accomplished if the "battery" is a pink noise source and the switches and LEDs have selective RCL bandpass circuits.   Not an EE, I don't know if the actual miniature components exist. But this is similar to an old problem that we solved with Fourier analysis.  I'm just a retired physicist and I was taught that when you need to design a chicken coup -- assume a chicken is a sphere.  Please take it easy on me if I'm way off base.

This sort of reminds me of the dubious 555 easter egg (EEVblog#160).  Only not as funny. 

Offline dcel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2011, 03:05:40 pm »
I have been to the battery manufactures website and compaired the battery in the video to the battery on the site and they are NOT identical. So, it is entirely probable that the battery in the video has indeed been modified. Now, the question is HOW was it modified? It was also suggested by the videos creator that every item used the make the circuit needs to be considered in the function of the circuit.

Chris

Offline Short Circuit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2011, 04:19:33 pm »
He added at least one AC source. Possibly by taking the battery apart and a small battery + circuit in the case. Or maybe just inside the battery clip. Not much space, but doable. Squeeze better to add two AC sources and you can drive four leds, like my circuit.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2011, 04:58:24 pm »
Unfortunately, this kind of exercise is not so much of a puzzle as a "what circuits can I squeeze into other components" problem.

Offline hacklordsniper

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't turn it on, take it apart!
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2011, 06:32:29 pm »

If it's not editing, then it may just be lens flare; but there is a bit where the light is in front of his finger:

This is a good catch and looks suspicious
Oh, the joy of sending various electronics to silicon heaven

Offline Short Circuit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2011, 06:40:52 pm »
Just from youtube:
To:AnnoyingVerification (=Short Circuit)

You are the first one, who actually give me one of possible solutions.
My "3 LEDs" is made very close to your design...
I didn't put 4tt LED, because it could be a hint to answer, but 4th LED is not problem to add :)
Look forward for my next riddle !

best regards
fredzislaw100

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf