Author Topic: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus  (Read 228349 times)

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus
« Reply #2200 on: July 29, 2020, 09:19:08 pm »
all this co v id 19 stuff is simply not making any sense,  any more, with all the fearmongering in the mainstream media
just 3o minutes of this type of Tv news , is enough to make most people depressed.
will my privacy be violated if I shop at one of your _____ stores?
so will I be confronted by barrier tape & witches hats at the doorway?
will I be harassed by your team members for not wearing a hazmat suit or balaclava?
will I be refuse service if I do not look like a bank robber?

government recommendations are just that a recommendation, not compulsory
Will you anything???

Simple, just DOWNLOAD THE APP. The App will protect us. It's big tech from BIG TECH COMPANIES like Twister, Grindr and Facemask.
And WORK FROM HOME, unless you're the Amazon or Deliveroo pony. But those kids are always under 30 and IMMUNE from corona virus by their social media associations. Maybe not imune from COVID-2.0 the sequel, but you're always safe working from home with an App and always wearing a FACEMASK.  A facemask will protect zoom office workers when the virus goes online through the 5G network. And make your wife wear a face covering HIJAB, because she kind of looks hot that way. Also prepare to be QUARANTINED for 14 days, should the idiot from across the street be stupid enough to cross over the white line drawn down the middle of the street. Finally, complete a CONTACT TRACING FORM, just in case the your teenage son thought the hand sanitizer bottle you hid under the crypto-mining rig was extra sticky vodka shots... and you can no longer wash the zombie blood stains off your trembling gun hand.

Where the ********** were we all this time last year :-//
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:22:03 pm by Syntax Error »

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2201 on: July 29, 2020, 09:29:00 pm »
At time of writing, there are NO vouchers available because there are not enough cycle repair shops or 'qualified mechanics' signed up to implement the scheme. This de-railer is possibly because those who would sign up, are unwilling or unable to indeminify their recon' work to the sum of (from) £2M.
any  business dealing with the public without  public liability insurance is  rather stupid.One factor for the lack of mechanics signing up is the usual goverbents IT skills,the link to sign up to register as a mechanic takes you to a page for claiming the vouchers,not to register as a mechanic

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2202 on: July 30, 2020, 01:43:47 am »
all this co v id 19 stuff is simply not making any sense,  any more, with all the fearmongering in the mainstream media
just 3o minutes of this type of Tv news , is enough to make most people depressed.

Every one I know is saying the same thing. They have now stopped watching the news entirely, it's just too depressing, it's just non-stop covid coverage, all of it just stoking fear.
My mum said she'd just go insane if she watches a minute more of it.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2203 on: July 30, 2020, 04:35:56 am »
If anyone in southern California has needed a COVID test but been unable to get one... I'm in the ER right now and they're doing them, seemingly, for the hell of it. So I guess head there with some BS symptoms. I've been trying for weeks to get sleep and stress tests done but unable because I couldn't get tested anywhere. Guess today that'll change.  :-+

EDIT: My neighbor here has covid like pneumonia (results of x-ray)... STAY AWAY FROM THE HOSPITALS. Haha, just my luck I get near COVID guy and I have constant lung issues.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:35:02 am by maginnovision »

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2204 on: July 30, 2020, 08:17:05 am »

Every one I know is saying the same thing. They have now stopped watching the news entirely, it's just too depressing, it's just non-stop covid coverage, all of it just stoking fear.

Best advice if you are bored enough to watch the news.  Buy a bottle of scotch.  Everytime the word "Coronavirus" is said, take a shot.

You'll not care anymore in no time at all.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2205 on: July 30, 2020, 09:50:38 am »
Burp.
iratus parum formica

Online dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #2206 on: July 30, 2020, 02:15:32 pm »
I heard a psychologist explain that human will is like a muscle: Even a strong muscle fails under continuous strain, it's a matter of time.
Resisting the temptation to be sloppy with anti-infection rules will become very difficult for all of us, but there are differences. Lockdowns were meant to help people forget and relax, but again there are differences. Some people just don't want to understand and keep banging their head against the wall. That's such a waste. Soon vaccines may open a door in that wall.

Regards, Dieter

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2207 on: July 30, 2020, 05:53:59 pm »
"Scott Morrison says it's time to get Australians back to work after coronavirus shutdown"
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/may/05/scott-morrison-says-its-time-to-get-australians-back-to-work-after-coronavirus-shutdown

Translation: "I'm sick of this crap too, let's get back to work, but make it appear slow because I have a lot of pissed of Karen's on social media who will kick up a stink, so I have to keep them happy."

I had to look that up - A "Karen" is typically used to refer to an entitled mum, who can be a bit irritating with her frequent requests to "talk to the manager." She may also have a giant bob haircut and drive a Volvo. https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life-and-relationships/how-to-know-if-you-re-a-karen-and-other-terms-your-kids-have-adopted-20191120-p53cfa.html
/-----/

So, back in May, I didn't know what a "Karen" was. Since then it has become quite a popular term in the US, but it slowly began to take on a different meaning  - at least different than the definition that I cited - search for "karen+on+a+rampage"

Today, I read this news report: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/business/dominos-new-zealand-karen-offer-scli-intl/index.html

In NZ and Aus., Domino's pizza chain (I'm truly sorry that the other side of the globe also has to be insulted by that "pizza", but that's another topic) ran a "Karen" pizza deal (good Karens only - "all "mask wearing, law abiding Karens... that aren't, well, 'Karens'" were eligible to enter online for a chance to win a free pizza.").

Now, they had to cancel it and apologize in NZ (but apparently it is still active in Aus.) - usual if-then story.

Oh the humanity!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:55:53 pm by DrG »
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2208 on: July 31, 2020, 11:41:33 am »
We have plenty of Karens in my locale. Our street cafes are crammed with them on a sunny day, along with their bottoxed mothers - and randomly parked 4x4s. Often refusing to use hand sanitiser when entering a store because, for real quote, poor Karen "can't be bothered."

It is now the law in the UK to wear a face covering in ALL stores. A law to which even Karen abides, especially if the face mask is (fake) Dolche&Gabbana. No guys, it's Karen's teenage kids that the rules never apply to. Never a face mask, never social distancing, never a freakin clue. To them they are more at risk from Chlamydia than Covid19. And that's no issue with antibiotics. Just pehaps Karen's kids might listen to the social media influencers they follow, because their brains are in neutral when it comes to any other form of messaging.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2209 on: July 31, 2020, 11:47:10 am »
We have plenty of Karens in my locale. Our street cafes are crammed with them on a sunny day, along with their bottoxed mothers - and randomly parked 4x4s. Often refusing to use hand sanitiser when entering a store because, for real quote, poor Karen "can't be bothered."
Its sad the name Karen has become associated with "woman with a superiority complex". It must be horrible for the many perfectly nice decent Karens out there.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2210 on: July 31, 2020, 11:52:38 am »
Its sad the name Karen has become associated with "woman with a superiority complex". It must be horrible for the many perfectly nice decent Karens out there.
So true. One of the best EE's that I've ever known is a Karen. In the UK the name Stacey might be used instead.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2211 on: July 31, 2020, 01:59:16 pm »

Where were you for the name "Dick"?   :-DD

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2212 on: July 31, 2020, 02:29:04 pm »

Why should I have sympathy with someone who is Rich by another name?.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2213 on: July 31, 2020, 02:44:33 pm »

Why should I have sympathy with someone who is Rich by another name?.

Karen entered the English language from Danish, where it has been a short form of "Katherine" since medieval times. It became popular in the English-speaking world in the 1940s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(name)

Ahhh, so it is a sexist thing...no sympathy for a Dick who is a Richard, but sympathy for a Karen who is a Katherine. I am so outraged  ;)

Here is a history (or one view) about the evolution (at least in US) that I spoke about. https://www.insider.com/karen-meme-origin-the-history-of-calling-women-karen-white-2020-5

I think Dominos got caught with their meme consultant with his pants down (skirt up?).

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2214 on: July 31, 2020, 03:07:17 pm »
Here is a history (or one view) about the evolution (at least in US) that I spoke about. https://www.insider.com/karen-meme-origin-the-history-of-calling-women-karen-white-2020-5
Its interesting how fast these name based memes flip. When I was growing up in 1960s North London, every girl I'd met called Sharon was from an affluent family. By the 80s this name had become a UK meme for someone low class.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2215 on: July 31, 2020, 03:08:26 pm »
You can thank Viz for that with the fat slags.

The following users thanked this post: paulca

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #2216 on: July 31, 2020, 03:51:51 pm »
what do you call an overreaction?  not sick , not dying , not deceased , only 3 or 5 positive tests, 
wow  mass panic,  :scared:  80,000 tourists evacuated from a Vietnamese city because of only 3 or 5 positive cases.  :o
is this nonsensical human behavior, 
https://www.travelpulse.com/news/impacting-travel/around-80000-tourists-evacuated-from-vietnamese-city-due-to-coronavirus.html
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2217 on: July 31, 2020, 04:13:11 pm »
what do you call an overreaction?  not sick , not dying , not deceased , only 3 or 5 positive tests, 
wow  mass panic,  :scared:  80,000 tourists evacuated from a Vietnamese city because of only 3 or 5 positive cases.  :o
https://www.travelpulse.com/news/impacting-travel/around-80000-tourists-evacuated-from-vietnamese-city-due-to-coronavirus.html

Allow me the pleasure of saying "told you so" when, back in March, I posted:

And in some ways this is going to be like Y2K: a potentially serious issue but some big efforts made to contain it so nothing really bad happens, and then people say well, what's the fuss? It wasn't anything.

Look at Brazil for what these 'over-reacted' but currently relatively virus-free places could become if precautions aren't taken early and hard.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2218 on: July 31, 2020, 05:03:27 pm »

I don't know why some people seem to fail to understand basic exponentials. If one person on average passes the disease on to more than one other person, then it will spread rapidly. We call the average number of people, a single person infects, the R number, with R0 being when nothing is done: social distancing, mask wearing, contact tracing etc. In the case of COVID-19, R0 is typically around 3, so it doesn't take a genius to conclude it can spread very quickly.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2219 on: July 31, 2020, 05:12:59 pm »
If everyone were infected tomorrow, that would be the best thing that could happen.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2220 on: July 31, 2020, 05:16:52 pm »
If everyone were infected tomorrow, that would be the best thing that could happen.
Be very carefull what you wish for.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2221 on: July 31, 2020, 05:16:57 pm »

Find help.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2222 on: July 31, 2020, 05:28:39 pm »

7,800,000,000 in the world.

Assume a TENTH of a percent mortality (one could certainly claim a defensible 1%, but let's go with one tenth of that).

So, your input is that 7,800,000 deaths is the best thing that could happen. Are you up for a troll of the week award or just a poster child for mental health?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2223 on: July 31, 2020, 05:35:00 pm »
Vietnam has been very good at keeping infections down, also as of a few days ago they had no deaths, I think they may now have had just one. Thats a country of around 90 million people, population wise. Compare that to the US. Vietnam has a much higher population density than the US, also.

Australia is similar culturally, but again, much much mucjh lower rates of infection and deaths.

Why is it so high here?  Its as if we are deliberately doing everything wrong.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2224 on: July 31, 2020, 05:47:41 pm »

Yes this is non-stop. But this is on some level even worse than during the peak period, when people were mostly confined. Sure that was also non-stop back then, but the situation was felt as exceptional. Why worse now IMO? Reason is simple - that was drastic, but most people were thinking this was just a temporary thing and were seeing this as kind of a "fight" period, after which we would have "won" and the whole thing would be over. That's called hope.

Now were are in the second phase - we could call it the "chronic" phase. Every new case makes the headlines (barely exxagerating here). As the situation is getting "chronic", it's thus becoming unclear when or if this is ever really going to be over. Of course this is depressing. There's nothing worse than the loss of hope, and everything in the media kind of conveys that feeling.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf