Author Topic: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus  (Read 228820 times)

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
Re: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus
« Reply #450 on: April 05, 2020, 09:26:27 pm »

You need to get in touch with your inner hermit. Normally when we go outside there is a gentle murmuring in the background from a highway that is about a kilometre away.
Now when we go outside its so peaceful. Enjoy the solitude.

Unfortunately highway nearby me seems to be used as a racetrack by motor cyclists. Not happy with the noise.

Easy fix  >:D
spread rumors that police are on the lookout for highway motorbike jackers suspected of being infected with 'C'  hiding in ditches,
tossing large tree branches at speeding oncoming bikes,
stealing the bikes to sell whole or for parts,
dumping the unconscious, trashed, or killed riders in the ditch,
move on down the road a bit, and wait for the next one.. 

Enjoy the solitude,
and you're welcome   :D

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 09:58:41 pm by Electro Detective »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #451 on: April 05, 2020, 10:04:28 pm »
No need. According to the news Darwin had a good day without my help. Serves them right. Should have stayed home!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 10:06:48 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #452 on: April 05, 2020, 10:37:06 pm »
FYI to Chromers:  :D

forget the so passe gasolene/petrol bag thing, just go store hopping instead,
free awesome stone/s from all the alco based cleaning fumes,

put some on your hands too, cover the face and go for it   :o

A-ha!

I've always been wondering what substance are you constantly on.

Too fast on the draw   :o  you beat blueskull to it   :clap:

bs is probably busy at another thread, and hopefully not afflicted yet with any 'C' symptoms like the sniffles, red eye, headaches,
or tummy rumbles similar to suss street food effects  :scared:

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #453 on: April 06, 2020, 12:42:17 am »
I looked for a new webcam and they're scooped up, sold out at stores. The decent resolution chinese ones are super expensive for some time now, over $100, with few vendors. Only the crap 640x480 1MP are low cost (why even bother), and they have "50M" or "12MP" fake claims galore.

I notice Digi-Key has been getting cleaned out of some jellybean parts, I suspect someone is stockpiling for the upcoming component shortages. The supply chain is surprisingly weak when you dig into it.
Trump want's no masks sold to Canada yet we supply the paper for them. A lone Canadian pulp mill making medical grade-paper for masks and disposable gowns, they supply the USA and Canada, having the Western Cedar trees. So imagine the supply chain desruption if the pulp mill can't buy masks for their staff to keep making masks  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #454 on: April 06, 2020, 01:56:55 am »

A few layers of toilet paper, masking tape, rubber bands, and a few minutes of R+D sizing and testing in the cafeteria, 

the staff at the pulp mill can keep working  :clap:

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #455 on: April 06, 2020, 04:13:31 am »
Someone in our company set up a rogue Jitsi server. Works surprisingly well for casual chat and collaboration, too.

Been meaning to play with that and try to maybe convince people to start using it instead of the commercial ones.  I hate that everyone is obsessed with Zoom.  I don't even want to install that crap on any of my machines, there are too many security and privacy concerns. 

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #456 on: April 06, 2020, 05:37:56 am »

A few layers of toilet paper, masking tape, rubber bands, and a few minutes of R+D sizing and testing in the cafeteria, 

the staff at the pulp mill can keep working  :clap:

That's old school - the 3D printer crowd is full of mask and ventilator designs, just need the N95 fabric:  https://grabcad.com/library
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 05:39:35 am by floobydust »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #457 on: April 06, 2020, 05:49:17 am »
Good point, accessing toilet paper nowadays can only be from cold dead hands, after the smoke clears  :scared:

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #458 on: April 06, 2020, 05:52:13 am »
Is toilet paper still hard to come by? I haven't bought any since the bulk pack from Costco that I got back in January, I think we have about a month or so remaining depending on usage. I've been under the assumption that by the time I need some I'd be able to stroll in and buy some.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #459 on: April 06, 2020, 08:39:07 am »
You have to be a serial dunny paper hoarder to get the stuff here, shelves still always empty  |O

not sure what their technique is, or who tips them off, and the hours they are up and about (= no lifers)
and don't care to find out, for now..
otherwise there may some strong words of disgust they won't like from me and co.
and whatever may come next to complement those words, and any bs resentments   >:(

The exception is unless you get lucky and stumble upon a late delivery of loo paper at a store or petrol station,
and happen to fill up and walk in and score 'one slab per customer'   :clap:   before the C freaked parasitic trash in human form rock up to clean the place out,
with low life scum family members going in separately and grabbing a slab of loo paper each

Seriously these assh0les should be photographed and put on an undesirables list for future reference = NO TRUST mofos in sharing and helping in shtf situations

It would not surprise me if they betray, kill and devour themselves once they've done over everyone else.

I would not have believed such a large percentage/ratio of the population were that far gone upstairs
and so-o-o EASY to manipulate
in 2020  :palm:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 08:40:45 am by Electro Detective »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #460 on: April 06, 2020, 09:26:24 am »
I looked for a new webcam and they're scooped up, sold out at stores. The decent resolution chinese ones are super expensive for some time now, over $100, with few vendors. Only the crap 640x480 1MP are low cost (why even bother), and they have "50M" or "12MP" fake claims galore.
I managed to buy a Logitech webcam recently. Price is around $120 but the image quality is very good.

Everyone working from home can get comfortable and buy better furniture & equipment (maybe ask your employer). A group of Dutch experts on pandemics expect the restrictions (lockdown) will need to be in effect for 1 year and maybe even over 2 years (worst case).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:32:01 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #461 on: April 06, 2020, 11:45:59 am »
I managed to buy a Logitech webcam recently. Price is around $120 but the image quality is very good.

Everyone working from home can get comfortable and buy better furniture & equipment (maybe ask your employer). A group of Dutch experts on pandemics expect the restrictions (lockdown) will need to be in effect for 1 year and maybe even over 2 years (worst case).

I think the Danish prime-minister went as far as admitting that things would not be back to normal without a vaccine

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #462 on: April 06, 2020, 04:47:29 pm »
Is toilet paper still hard to come by? I haven't bought any since the bulk pack from Costco that I got back in January, I think we have about a month or so remaining depending on usage. I've been under the assumption that by the time I need some I'd be able to stroll in and buy some.

The Costco nearest me in southern California had all the paper products in stock last Wednesday, to my personal knowledge. Limit 1 package of each per customer. They had a sign out front listing the hoard items that they did/didn't have in stock. If you're a senior (60+, I'm 62) they've got a seniors only shopping from 8-9am on Tue/Wed/Thur and will be ahead of the crowd. Even that line was fairly long (spacing people 6 feet apart with carts) by the time they opened, but by showing up at 7:30 I was able to be in the first group of 50 they allowed in the store. Most had masks and gloves of some kind, including me. There was also a line of under-60's starting to form for 9am, so I suspect just strolling may not be so easy, even if the product is there.

Plenty of stock in most things, although typically only one brand choice for popular items. The only thing I really noticed was missing on my list were the pasta products. Kraft mac&cheese was the only pasta in stock. I will live without spaghetti. Need to go back on Thursday to visit the Pharmacy, so will get another look then.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:51:26 pm by Nusa »

The following users thanked this post: BetterAndBetter

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #463 on: April 06, 2020, 09:50:12 pm »
UK's Boris Johnson who only 3 weeks back was still shaking hands, now joins the remote access crowd from the ....ICU.
Be careful what you wish for.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #464 on: April 07, 2020, 01:58:50 am »

Not too hard to find around here.  I went into a local grocery store 13 days ago and they had some so I grabbed another large bundle with 24 rolls.  I haven't been back to a store since then so I don't know how available it is now but I think the TP panic is over.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #465 on: April 07, 2020, 09:48:35 am »
Still sort of rare around here. But it isn't really all that wondrous. People stay at home mostly instead of taking a dump at work.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #466 on: April 07, 2020, 05:01:56 pm »
Still sort of rare around here. But it isn't really all that wondrous. People stay at home mostly instead of taking a dump at work.

No such luck around here.  You can go to all the supermarkets and fire a chain gun down the paper products and you won't hit anyone or anything. |O
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #467 on: April 07, 2020, 06:03:43 pm »

No such luck around here.  You can go to all the supermarkets and fire a chain gun down the paper products and you won't hit anyone or anything. |O

Yes, what I meant is that _obviously_ the domestic consumption of toilet paper is higher now that people are mostly shitting at home instead of at work.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #468 on: April 07, 2020, 06:30:54 pm »
Seeing as i work from home I’m still being paid to shit still so I’m happy. Just take longer now to offset the cost of the toilet paper.  :-DD

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #469 on: April 07, 2020, 07:09:15 pm »
Shit post deleted. I can restore it, if anyone really wants to know.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:38:26 pm by Zero999 »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #470 on: April 07, 2020, 07:29:02 pm »
That is what they call an 'over share'.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #471 on: April 07, 2020, 07:34:35 pm »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #472 on: April 07, 2020, 07:34:45 pm »
Normal talk here.  :-DD

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #473 on: April 07, 2020, 08:39:36 pm »
That is what they call an 'over share'.
You're right. It was a shitty post, do I deleted it. I must be showing the signs of social isolation posting crap like that.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #474 on: April 07, 2020, 08:50:15 pm »
I think we're all entitled to go a little bit insane at the moment. Just stay away from David Icke  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf