Author Topic: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus  (Read 228925 times)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Working From Home - Impacts of Coronavirus
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2020, 01:26:06 pm »
I think it will go right back up as soon as there will be positive news on vaccine development.
Or it turns out to be much less worse than expected and the virus has spread much wider than they are currently thinking.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2020, 02:02:25 pm »
The only thing I really fear from this virus is the very real threat of a massive global economic depression. Well that and the way people will behave if we ever get a virus going around that is unusually deadly rather than just unusually easy to spread. It's already chaotic and I have a hard time dealing with what I view as irrational/emotionally driven behavior rather than calculated actions based on coherent logic and reason. It stresses me out when I'm around people who are being emotional and I wish I could just tell them to shut up and stop perpetuating it. I refuse to let my life be ruled by fear.

I can't help thinking of the Black Knight when I read that sort of stuff. You'll be in ICU with double pneumonia, telling people to stop fussing, it's nothing to worry about.  ;D Of course, sticking your head in the sand is as irrational as being unduly worried.

Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Black Phoenix

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2020, 04:11:56 pm »
The only thing I really fear from this virus is the very real threat of a massive global economic depression. Well that and the way people will behave if we ever get a virus going around that is unusually deadly rather than just unusually easy to spread. It's already chaotic and I have a hard time dealing with what I view as irrational/emotionally driven behavior rather than calculated actions based on coherent logic and reason. It stresses me out when I'm around people who are being emotional and I wish I could just tell them to shut up and stop perpetuating it. I refuse to let my life be ruled by fear.

I can't help thinking of the Black Knight when I read that sort of stuff. You'll be in ICU with double pneumonia, telling people to stop fussing, it's nothing to worry about.  ;D Of course, sticking your head in the sand is as irrational as being unduly worried.

A bit hyperbolic don't you think? Yes, it could happen, I could also be hit by a bus and die or be diagnosed next week with terminal cancer. These events are unlikely though and the most likely result of me contracting covid is that I spend a week feeling crappy and then recover. The vast majority of people who get it do recover just fine, what makes you think I'll be any different? I'm in my early 40s, reasonably fit and healthy overall, I'm not in the lowest risk group but I'm far from the highest. Even if I end up very ill that still doesn't change the fact that most who contract it will recover without complications.

I still remember everybody freaking out about that swine flu several years ago. I caught that, it sucked, the flu always sucks, but it hit hard and burned out a bit faster than most and a few days later I was back on my feet, after 2 weeks the last signs of fatigue had passed. All that panic and it was really not a big deal, not more than the seasonal flu and yet we still have idiots that won't get vaccinated for that.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2020, 04:18:02 pm »
Here , we are more "cachondos".

Here, we closed the Schools and the kids are with the grannies because many parent can't pay nanies neither can't work since home. Now the morest "cachondo" is that the grandparents and the kids are in the park almost all the day.   :palm: :palm: .

And the chinese  in Spain run away to China.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2020, 05:26:38 pm »

A bit hyperbolic don't you think? Yes, it could happen, I could also be hit by a bus and die or be diagnosed next week with terminal cancer. These events are unlikely though and the most likely result of me contracting covid is that I spend a week feeling crappy and then recover. The vast majority of people who get it do recover just fine, what makes you think I'll be any different? I'm in my early 40s, reasonably fit and healthy overall, I'm not in the lowest risk group but I'm far from the highest. Even if I end up very ill that still doesn't change the fact that most who contract it will recover without complications.

I still remember everybody freaking out about that swine flu several years ago. I caught that, it sucked, the flu always sucks, but it hit hard and burned out a bit faster than most and a few days later I was back on my feet, after 2 weeks the last signs of fatigue had passed. All that panic and it was really not a big deal, not more than the seasonal flu and yet we still have idiots that won't get vaccinated for that.
In general I agree but it still is good to slow the outbreak down so the health care system isn't flooded with people in one big surge. Germany's prime minister (Merkel) already announced that it is expected that 70 to 80% (IIRC) of the German people will likely get infected at some point. It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out the actual number of infected people is 100 times more than the current count.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2020, 06:19:59 pm »
Still no pasta or toilet paper here

Try Aldi. All the supermarkets  here (Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsburys, Lidl) have nothing, but Aldi had pallets of loo rolls being ignored when I was there yesterday. Maybe it's stiff crinkly stuff :)

Hmmm.  Knowing my luck I've just jinxed them and they'll be sold out before I can run up there today.
The supermarkets in York just look normal. They have plenty of loo rolls, pasta, rice, and flour. They just aren't on special offer this week.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2020, 07:22:52 pm »
London is fucked. Missing stuff:

anything italian, canned fish, beans, chopped tomatoes, pasta, arse paper, medicines, sanitary good all gone  :--

Also Ocado's web site has just fallen over.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2020, 07:41:30 pm »
In general I agree but it still is good to slow the outbreak down so the health care system isn't flooded with people in one big surge. Germany's prime minister (Merkel) already announced that it is expected that 70 to 80% (IIRC) of the German people will likely get infected at some point. It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out the actual number of infected people is 100 times more than the current count.

Obviously yes, but there is a very wide range between being careless and cavalier and freaking out and panicking. We should all try to be sensible and stem the spread. That doesn't mean we should be cowering in fear or imploding the entire economy in a likely futile attempt to avoid spending a few days sick in bed.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2020, 07:47:19 pm »
Our country breached the 100 level. Another stricter actions taken by the gov, almost everything starting to get closed, gatherings of more than 30 ppl forbidden.

... and I am becoming quite scared tbh.

Offline FriedLogic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2020, 07:54:20 pm »

Even if I end up very ill that still doesn't change the fact that most who contract it will recover without complications.

All this talk of most people not having complications is very misleading. The exact stats for how many need hospital treatment varies, but 12% is the lowest that I've seen, and was often much higher. That is the really big problem here. If great care is not taken then the healthcare system will get overwhelmed.

If there are 50,000 people in an area who need intensive care but only 5000 beds, there will be a very large number of people who will not make it. That is why there is so much effort (but probably not enough) going into slowing the spread of the virus.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2020, 08:08:04 pm »
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/coronavirus-donovan-mitchell-joins-rudy-gobert-as-only-traveling-jazz-members-to-test-positive-per-reports/

Apparently basketball players think they're immune then immediately test positive. Pretty dumb.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2020, 08:20:49 pm »
I am simply drinking as much alcohol as possible ......from home of course. That should keep me safe or at least put me in a position where I cannot tell the difference.

Seriously....in my line of work things are changing rapidly. The annual National Association of Broadcasters show has been cancelled, TV shows, commercials, etc cancelled. These events are BIIIIIIG $$$$$$$.
Looking like I will get an amazing opportunity to freshen up the Factory400 and get some lingering projects done.

I will take lemons and make some lemonade.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:36:48 pm by rx8pilot »
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2020, 08:22:00 pm »

Even if I end up very ill that still doesn't change the fact that most who contract it will recover without complications.

All this talk of most people not having complications is very misleading. The exact stats for how many need hospital treatment varies, but 12% is the lowest that I've seen, and was often much higher. That is the really big problem here. If great care is not taken then the healthcare system will get overwhelmed.
The main problem is that we don't know how valid those statistics are. In general the health care services only test people with severe symptoms. It is logical that many of those severe cases need hospital treatment. However this doesn't say anything about the cases which manifest as regular flu (or less). As I wrote before: it is very possible only 1% of the infected people are sick enough to get tested. Hypothetically that would reduce your 12% to 0.12% of all infected people. But there is no way of knowing for sure at this moment.

Offline FriedLogic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2020, 08:45:31 pm »

The main problem is that we don't know how valid those statistics are. In general the health care services only test people with severe symptoms. It is logical that many of those severe cases need hospital treatment. However this doesn't say anything about the cases which manifest as regular flu (or less). As I wrote before: it is very possible only 1% of the infected people are sick enough to get tested. Hypothetically that would reduce your 12% to 0.12% of all infected people. But there is no way of knowing for sure at this moment.

There is a lot of uncertainty about the statistics, but I've seen no evidence for anything like that. I think that the recent stats for Lombardy in Italy were 40% of those positive needing hospital treatment, and 12% intensive care, but they were just testing those with symptoms. In that case there were around 500 in intensive care mostly from an area with a population that the doctor involved estimated to be around 100,000.

Median age of those in intensive care was only 65.

Some more notes on Italy in this YouTube video by Dr. John Campbell:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/covid-19-virus/msg2960036/#msg2960036
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:54:45 pm by FriedLogic »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2020, 09:28:19 pm »
Some more notes on Italy in this YouTube video by Dr. John Campbell:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/covid-19-virus/msg2960036/#msg2960036
Nothing really new in this video but his statement that we all need to isolate ourselves so we minimise interaction with other people is very valid and that is what most governments are enforcing / suggesting at this moment.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2020, 09:49:46 pm »
I'm *so* sick of people posting all these hyperbolic news articles

Are the articles made up? Fake news? When even news sources usually considered pukka are essentially saying the same thing,
are you suggesting there's some kind of global conspiracy and it's all a con?

Whatever the go is, everyone will soon find out when the dust clears, and or if it contained a high or less high percentage of dried BS/HS,

and who made more money, the pasta or loo paper manufacturers,
..or the hoarding scalpers  >:D 

as for 'Fake news', the gent to consult on the likelihood of that would be the current elected President of the US,
implying FNN is more viral than corona,  :o  FNN constantly mutates..  :scared:   and that he cops a bit LOT of it.  :rant:

FWIW haven't seen any Fake Newsers wearing any face protection, or the interviewed pooliticians and assorted experts  ???  flogging this latest panic show

They must have built up an awesome immune system over the years surviving all the flus, outbreaks and zombie apocalypses   :clap: :clap:

They should consider donating a blood sample, so a truth serum could be concocted to vaccinate the masses from the next strain of corona, fosters, vic bitter, SOL, XXXX
and even seasonal flu sniffles, hay fever, the runs etc    :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 09:52:07 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2020, 09:54:58 pm »
Multiple Republican congressman have gone into self isolation over potential exposure. Matt gaetz specifically wore a ridiculous mask as he's been trying to get people to think about this as not just the flu.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2020, 10:31:26 pm »
It was announced before noon today that all schools and colleges were to close a 6pm.  The two older children spent the evening chatting with friends on MS Teams, all their classes were already setup and a few teachers were online, checking if they had access/problems with them.  School starts at 9 tomorrow, following their normal schedule!  A massive experiment, converting a large school online overnight.  The little ones school probably follows most schools in the country, they were told to bring their books home and work on the next few chapters. 🤦‍♂️

The XYL is now happy with the number of desktops in the house!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2020, 11:47:43 pm »
I'm *so* sick of people posting all these hyperbolic news articles

Are the articles made up? Fake news? When even news sources usually considered pukka are essentially saying the same thing, are you suggesting there's some kind of global conspiracy and it's all a con?

Not so much made up or fake as sensationalized. People are following the death toll like it's the score of a basketball game, every few hours someone posts a link to some other article that's essentially "OMG 2 more people have died!!", it's completely unproductive and does nothing but stir up panic. The article is factually correct (I assume) but like so many others it is not simply an informative statement of fact, it is sensationalized to boost ratings. Most of the global media is not "fake news", but news is absolutely presented in ways that attempts to boost ratings, bolster some political agenda or serve some other cause. Sensationalism in media is hardly new. People post this stuff at work and pretty much nobody is getting any work done because they're all freaking out and talking about the virus, which is a waste of time because we already all know about it, we're already taking reasonable precautions to avoid spreading it, there is nothing gained in fretting about things we cannot control. 

The following users thanked this post: Muttley Snickers

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2020, 12:17:23 am »
What a bell end  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2020, 01:26:26 am »
Here in southern California they're shutting down Disneyland. That's pretty rare but they are paying cast members, not sure about other employees or if they'll continue working. I expect a phone call about that soon .

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2020, 01:54:39 am »

There is a lot of uncertainty about the statistics, but I've seen no evidence for anything like that. I think that the recent stats for Lombardy in Italy were 40% of those positive needing hospital treatment, and 12% intensive care, but they were just testing those with symptoms. In that case there were around 500 in intensive care mostly from an area with a population that the doctor involved estimated to be around 100,000.

Given that there are only 2.8 hospital beds per 1000 people in the US, in an area with a population of 100,000 they would only have 280 beds TOTAL.  And many fewer ICU beds.  I was in ICU about a year ago in the newest hospital in this area (I think the hospital had 300 beds) and it only had 8 ICU beds total. So unless there was another ICU in that hospital that I don't know about then there aren't going to be enough ICU beds to handle more than perhaps 2% of the people needing them. On top of that, US officials have already said that currently 65% of the hospital beds are filled and that doesn't include any Corona Virus patients.

Any way that you juggle the numbers, 2.8 beds per 1000 people doesn't work when 40% of those 1,000 (400 people) need hospitalization! and it certainly doesn't work for the 12% that need to be in ICU when the number of ICU beds is only about .05 per 1,000 people.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, rgarito

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2020, 02:06:05 am »
The only thing I really fear from this virus is the very real threat of a massive global economic depression.... I refuse to let my life be ruled by fear.

There won't be a depression like the 1930's. Primary reason is advanced communications in the information age. A recession, yes.

Fear can be a good thing and a useful tool. I will soon invest heavily in the stock market, capitalising on the losses from those who fear that the end is near  :scared:. In two years I will be thanking all the losers :palm:, that is if I don't die from the corona virus first.

Relating to electronic design, it is fear that drives me. Fear that I have not put in adequate EMC or ESD protection. Fear of safety issues. Fear of circuit instability. Fear of components becoming obsolete. Fear I have got my pinouts or footprints wrong. Fear can be quite helpful. Worry is but a waste of time.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2020, 02:15:07 am »
Schools will be closed for 2 weeks after March break here in Ontario.

There's a rumour that there is a case in my city, but it's not officially confirmed yet.

It's a good time to go skiing.  That involves full body coverage and a mask.   :P

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2020, 05:29:35 am »
Fear can be a good thing and a useful tool. I will soon invest heavily in the stock market, capitalising on the losses from those who fear that the end is near  :scared:. In two years I will be thanking all the losers :palm:, that is if I don't die from the corona virus first.
I was thinking the same thing.

Need more cash, though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf