Author Topic: Where to buy (small) springs?  (Read 1472 times)

Offline FloopyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • I'm going to need another oscilloscope to fix that
Where to buy (small) springs?
« on: December 03, 2018, 06:09:41 am »
Hello, I've got an IBM selectric ii I'm working on. I was taking apart the carriage mechanism and a spring decided that jumping off somewhere was a great option. Anyway, I have to find a replacement spring,

What is the best place to get small springs? I also have a tektronix logic analyzer keypad that I need small springs for. I usually can't find what I need and when I do I need to order at least 100 or so at 8$ a piece.
 :-//

It's a bit of an issue because when I work on typewriters in general I don't know where to find replacements springs.

Anyway thanks in advance!

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Where to buy (small) springs?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 07:14:20 am »
McMaster Carr   or MSC  (Manhatten supply co.)
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 07:16:54 am »
It also seems that it would be good for you to learn to make small coil springs.  When I worked as a Gunsmith, I made countless springs.  Using the right spring steel wire, they are fairly simple to make in any configuration you want.
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline nsrmagazin

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 07:50:01 am »
Can you give a link to some tutorial for making springs, it would be usefull for me too? Also since you are a smith, I have met problems with creating my own metal frames and working builds. It would be extermely usefull to have some beginniner guide for small piece cold metal working? Like I wanted to make an iron hand for my robotic project that is just like a human hand.

From where do I buy the metal? Preferably somewhere close to my living place.
How do I make the joints?
Cam I make this only with hand tools, as I move a lot and I need to be able to easily move my tools in 1 set.
I would love to find a not electrical hand drill, I remember there were such things. You put the metal on the holder and you drill with the manual rotation.
Hi all!
If you like the post, please press "thanks".

Offline FloopyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • I'm going to need another oscilloscope to fix that
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 03:11:12 pm »
Thank you for the responses.
 Making your own springs sounds like something I could use. Would you have any suggestions on where I can learn?
It also seems that it would be good for you to learn to make small coil springs.  When I worked as a Gunsmith, I made countless springs.  Using the right spring steel wire, they are fairly simple to make in any configuration you want.
Can you give a picture of the spring or some way of identifying it?
I'll do so, I've also got quit a few tear-down pictures.
McMaster Carr   or MSC  (Manhatten supply co.)
That's the kind of place I was looking for, thanks!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 03:17:11 pm by Floopy »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 03:14:50 pm »
I've tried my hand at making a few, but they never really turned out better than rather wonky. If you could explain the process, that'd be great.

Having them made tends not to be very expensive, for those not too adventurous.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 01:51:55 am »
Hello, I've got an IBM selectric ii I'm working on. I was taking apart the carriage mechanism and a spring decided that jumping off somewhere was a great option. Anyway, I have to find a replacement spring,

What is the best place to get small springs? I also have a tektronix logic analyzer keypad that I need small springs for. I usually can't find what I need and when I do I need to order at least 100 or so at 8$ a piece.
 :-//

It's a bit of an issue because when I work on typewriters in general I don't know where to find replacements springs.

Anyway thanks in advance!

You probably are already aware of this, but just in case: the Selectric Typewriter II uses a collapsing spring (aka buckling spring) which makes it slightly different than a regular spring not designed to collapse.

With that in mind, may be you could source it from another keyboard that uses collapsing spring technology - the IBM PC (Model M) keyboard that is designed to work/feel like the Selectric II.  Get a failed one from ebay or wherever, and harvest the used spring from it.  If you want new springs, you can get a new Unicomp keyboard - they are still making the Modem M keyboard with original technology.

Here is an article about IBM Selectric II / Model M collapsing spring technology:
https://hackaday.com/2016/03/07/reviving-the-best-keyboard-ever/

Unicomp Website:
https://www.pckeyboard.com/

[Edited-typo correction and added a link to Unicomp]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 01:55:13 am by Rick Law »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf