Author Topic: Wanna buy a memristor ?  (Read 14780 times)

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Wanna buy a memristor ?
« on: September 07, 2015, 07:08:52 pm »
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Wanna buy a memristor ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 08:45:37 pm »
AHaH computing, brilliant or bullshit?

They claim to have over 40 patents...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:47:28 pm by jitter »

Offline nugenta

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 09:57:34 pm »
Well I certainly hope its not bullshit since i've been at it for 12 years and dropped out of EE graduate school to pursue it, but we will see. :) If you have questions, just ask. Also, if you guys want to review one of our memristors, just let me know where to ship them. As for patents, it has been a necessary evil. It was funded by a partnership with my mother and two local patent attorneys. Everything about what we are doing is little crazy, i'll give you that.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 10:02:50 pm »
Well I certainly hope its not bullshit since i've been at it for 12 years and dropped out of EE graduate school to pursue it, but we will see. :) If you have questions, just ask. Also, if you guys want to review one of our memristors, just let me know where to ship them. As for patents, it has been a necessary evil. It was funded by a partnership with my mother and two local patent attorneys. Everything about what we are doing is little crazy, i'll give you that.

Mail one for Dave. You will get publicity and we will get an episode.

Offline Chris C

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 12:13:37 am »

I second that.

Is this related to the memristor chip offered by Bio Inspired Technologies, also in Boise?  I looked at that a couple of months ago, found conflicting specs between various webpages and datasheets, was difficult to figure out what its true capabilities were.

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 02:56:40 am »
I'd love to see a vid on them by Shahriar Shahramian. Or mikeselectricstuff, but Mike has a tendency to take a dremel tool to delicate semiconductors ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:59:01 am by ConKbot »

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 05:38:14 am »

I'll grant you that the video on your website has me interested. I also tried to get my head around some of the stuff written on there last night and I was like, okay maybe I'll try this again when I'm not so tired  ;).

It looks like a radically different approach, often a hard path to follow for innovators, hence my remark, but I do hope it turns out to be a step forward in computing architecture.

I'm sure this will catch the attention from some of the bloggers and we'll see about it soon!

BTW, are there already products incorporating memristors on the market?

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 07:14:38 am »
I'd love to see a vid on them by Shahriar Shahramian. Or mikeselectricstuff, but Mike has a tendency to take a dremel tool to delicate semiconductors ;)

Second that, I enormously enjoy EEVBlog but I think Shahriar is more likely to go really deep into memristors. Sitting here on my armchair.

Offline nugenta

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 02:42:22 pm »
Is this related to the memristor chip offered by Bio Inspired Technologies, also in Boise?  I looked at that a couple of months ago, found conflicting specs between various webpages and datasheets, was difficult to figure out what its true capabilities were.

The Bio Inspired Technology (BIT) and Knowm Memristor were both invented by Dr. Kris Campbell of BSU. I approached Dr. Campbell after seeing the data on the BIT-licensed device and asked her to enhance pulsed incremental operation and increase the on-state resistance for use in neuromemristive applications.  Both BIT and my own company were funded under the same Air Force Research Labs STTR topic: "VLSI-Memristor Building Blocks for Future Autonomous Air Vehicles".

Offline nugenta

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 02:45:43 pm »

No need for a dremel. We can send a couple raw die as well if you like. You guys have a probe station?

Offline nugenta

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 02:56:37 pm »
It looks like a radically different approach, often a hard path to follow for innovators, hence my remark, but I do hope it turns out to be a step forward in computing architecture.

You have no idea. If we did not start patenting years before HP and the rest, we would not have a holy chance in hell. Perhaps we still don't, but i'm an optimist. It seemed impossible 10 years ago, and it seems much less impossible today. I also do not view AHaH Computing as some sort of wholesale replacement of what we have. My primary interest is, and has always been, to build learning synaptic processors. It just so happens that AHaH Attractors are also universal logic functions, which may or may not be useful.

BTW, are there already products incorporating memristors on the market?

Yes and no. The problem is the hype surrounding memristors. RRAM is a memristor without lots of intermediate states (the thing im interested in), and there are some RRAM memory products out there I believe. Until BIT and Knowm, I do not believe there were any discrete devices to play with. The Knowm device is also specially designed for incremental neuromorphic applications. Both BIT and Knowm devices come from wafers produced by Dr. Campbell and her students at the Idaho Micro Fabrication Laboratory at BSU. This is a serious bottom-up effort.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:58:29 pm by nugenta »

The following users thanked this post: sarahMCML

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 03:35:32 pm »

Second that, I enormously enjoy EEVBlog but I think Shahriar is more likely to go really deep into memristors. Sitting here on my armchair.
+1 Shahriar designs chips for a living so should be able to make some sense of it - All I know is it's a pretty looking lump of Silicon (or whatever)

Offline Shpushka

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 09:57:49 pm »
Hello! Who can say me, please, where I can buy the Memristor (Sn or Cr or another one)?

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 11:39:32 pm »
Oh how my old circuit theory professor raved on about them. He only had a blackboard version but that never stopped him... :palm: seems he wasn't as insane as I thought :D

Also +1 Shahriar  :-+
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:41:47 pm by lem_ix »

Offline riyadh144

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 09:58:11 am »
Lets hope it is true, I would buy it if I had the money.
You should really send it to Dave.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 01:16:48 pm »
Fascinating tech and subject, I'm very aware I've not got anywhere near an understanding but it'd be great to see some sort of dev/experimenter's package available.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 01:21:03 pm »

Yes, mailbag please.
Also, making my own memristor has been on my to-do list for a long time now.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 01:23:57 pm »
NOTICE: Knowm Inc partner Boise State University has initiated an official export classification of our memristor technology with the US. Government. Pending resolution, we cannot ship outside of the US. We sincerely apologize to all of our overseas customers for the inconvenience.

That rules out myself and Mike then I guess, unless one magically finds it's way into my hands...

Offline Holmes34

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 03:57:27 pm »
Maybe someone in the States could hook Dave up with a pair of those telepresence robot arms and a scope to get around the export problems!  ;D

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 04:37:35 pm »
NOTICE: Knowm Inc partner Boise State University has initiated an official export classification of our memristor technology with the US. Government. Pending resolution, we cannot ship outside of the US. We sincerely apologize to all of our overseas customers for the inconvenience.

That rules out myself and Mike then I guess, unless one magically finds it's way into my hands...

And once the ECCN has been acquired, then what?
Edit: I guess if the number will start with "5E", we might have to wait a long time...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:39:44 pm by jitter »

Offline riyadh144

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 07:01:50 pm »
Can you send them to a person in the US, and that person sends it to dave.

Offline Tinkerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 11:46:46 pm »
I can see that would be utterly fascinating to play with yet I have no idea what I would use one for currently haha.

Yea, thats the likely solution but dont let em catch you, they might bust your door down with a SWAT team these days.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 12:54:43 am »

Please!  No one even TRY this! :palm:

This is what gets people sent to prison, no exaggeration. The US can and will charge and extradite the foreign receiving party as well.

Once something is classified as military hardware, the US has amazingly long arms. Never mind that the memristor is a fundament element, our laws, nor our congress persons particularly care.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:58:29 am by LabSpokane »

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 08:30:23 am »

Please!  No one even TRY this! :palm:

This is what gets people sent to prison, no exaggeration. The US can and will charge and extradite the foreign receiving party as well.

Once something is classified as military hardware, the US has amazingly long arms. Never mind that the memristor is a fundament element, our laws, nor our congress persons particularly care.
Is it illegal to export something that hasn't yet been given an export classification? Would it fall under a generic classification until determined otherwise ?

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 09:01:52 am »
Looks like you'll have to make your own outside the US for a bit:

http://sparkbangbuzz.com/memristor/memristor.htm

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf