Author Topic: Sat July 26 : Meet Buzz Aldrin  (Read 32763 times)

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: Sat July 26 : Meet Buzz Aldrin
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2014, 06:59:02 am »
Wait, where aand when can I meet our guy Buzz?

Sibrel, is it you?

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2014, 07:07:02 am »
Wait, where aand when can I meet our guy Buzz?

Sibrel, is it you?

:-DD

Edit: @cleaningOut, the info is at the OP on page one.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:08:39 am by miguelvp »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2014, 08:06:35 am »
This was on local TV here and is a good example IMO for justified use of violence (by the fat kid).  Aldrin's case is different because the stalker was not physical with him. 

So what? There are many forms of non-physical abuse, that in some cases can be far worse than physical abuse. In this case, (years worth of) stalking, physical intimidation, verbal abuse, and continuing to harass and get in the Aldrin's face when he tried to walk away several times already.
This is why the law sided with Aldrin, this is why we have stalking laws (at least in Oz), and this is why non-physical abuse is widely recognised as a huge problem facing society. Aldrin did the right and only thing remaining available to him to shut this guy up. It worked, and the law agreed.
Aldrin also had every right to think that things could have escalated after already having tried to walk away several times in this incident

Put yourself in Aldrins shoes and its very likely you would have ultimately done the same thing as he did. And if you didn't, well congratulations for you, a lifetime worth of future stalking and the same shit over and over. Have fun with that.

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2014, 08:53:43 am »
- He was followed and harassed repeatedly (in and out of a lobby)
- Was polite and attempted to disengage
- Larger guy in your face being aggressive despite a neutral 3rd party attempting to prevent him
- Repeated and constant insults by someone not in control of their emotions.
- Verbal warnings given and ignored

The only thing Buzz did wrong here was to not follow up with a few more punches, solid right hand though  :clap:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2014, 09:09:14 am »
The only thing Buzz did wrong here was to not follow up with a few more punches, solid right hand though  :clap:

Pretty good for an 80yo!

Offline free_electronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2014, 09:41:20 am »
Wait, where aand when can I meet our guy Buzz? This thread seems to have been derailed.
saturday july 26th aboard the aircraft carrier USS Hornet in Alameda California (opposite side of the bay from san francisco)

He is there for splashdown 45. The 45 th anniversary of the return on earth of the apollo mission.
He will be signing books as well.

I am going. I met Buzz 5 years ago for the 40th anniversary, we chatted a bit. People were following me afterwards wanting to know how i knew this guy.

He was in the maldives in 2001 to do the ribbon cutting for a new deeps space comms groundstation. On his few extra days he was scubadiving .. And that's how we met.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2014, 02:37:50 pm »
Wait, where aand when can I meet our guy Buzz? This thread seems to have been derailed.
saturday july 26th aboard the aircraft carrier USS Hornet in Alameda California (opposite side of the bay from san francisco)

He is there for splashdown 45. The 45 th anniversary of the return on earth of the apollo mission.

I am going. I met Buzz 5 years ago for the 40th anniversary, we chatted a bit. People were following me afterwards wanting to know how i knew this guy.

He was in the maldives in 2001 to do the ribbon cutting for a new deeps space comms groundstation. On his few extra days he was scubadiving .. And that's how we met.

Vince, can you buy a book and get Buzz to autograph it and send it to Dave?

I am sure we could crowdfund the cost of a copy or two for that purpose. If so you can put out your Paypal address for the payment.

I would love one, but better for Dave to get it.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2014, 03:13:17 pm »
My daughter was teaching school in Carnarvon WA last year.
The previous year,her year 2/3 students went on an excursion to the Carnarvon Space Museum & met Buzz Aldrin who was visiting.
The kids never stopped talking about it!

Carnarvon played a big part in the Apollo missions,as there was a NASA tracking station there.
The building later became the Transmitter site for Radio Australia,but after that,sadly,was demolished.

The Space Museum is at the old OTC comms site next door.

The OTC site was instrumental in allowing WA TV viewers to see the Moon Landings real time.
(The East-West Microwave system was not yet completed at that time.)

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2014, 04:59:05 pm »

I am sure we could crowdfund the cost of a copy or two for that purpose. If so you can put out your Paypal address for the payment.

I would love one, but better for Dave to get it.

One book per person, and you have to be present to get it signed. The reason is that people flog these things on Ebay afterwards... That is why Buzz never signs anything anymore apart from these special events , and then only under the above rules.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2014, 09:20:54 am »
Pity, wonder if we could crowdfund a airline return ticket for Dave to the USA to be there for a single day?  He would be away for 3 in Aus, but most of the time would be spent in a 747 flying cattle class.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2014, 11:12:07 am »
Pity, wonder if we could crowdfund a airline return ticket for Dave to the USA to be there for a single day?  He would be away for 3 in Aus, but most of the time would be spent in a 747 flying cattle class.

Err, yeah, you couldn't pay me to do that!
Flying almost anywhere overseas from Australia is not pleasant.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2014, 11:18:31 am »

I'd rather have one of Alan Beans awesome paintings:
http://www.alanbean.com/available_originals.cfm
A surprise Mailbag item would be gladly accepted  :D

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2014, 11:26:41 am »
Even better, he accepts commissions:
http://www.alanbean.com/commission_painting.cfm

The $210 perk could be that a real moonwalker would write your name on the back in 1 square inch!

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2014, 04:14:45 pm »

Looks like commercialized kitsch to me:

His early works are more authentic:

I worked once with an Astronaut. Not a moon walker but a real astronaut that was in space. He was one of the nicest and humble guys I know. Once at lunch somebody asked him how he became and astronaut and his answer was 'I applied'. 

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2014, 12:24:32 am »
Err, yeah, you couldn't pay me to do that!
Flying almost anywhere overseas from Australia is not pleasant.

Next time try a knee defender  ;-)

http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2014, 12:38:29 am »
Looks like commercialized kitsch to me:

The great thing about being an artist is that you can do whatever you want to do and not give a toss what other people think  ;D

Here he is in his shop. He gave up flying the shuttle to be a full time artist  :-+

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2014, 01:03:39 am »
Bean, the lightning guy,

A really interesting group of people.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2014, 01:12:45 am »
Bean, the lightning guy,

There was probably only one person in the world who knew what SCE to AUX was:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Aaron
And only one guy in the capsule who happened to know were the SCE switch was!
 :phew:

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2014, 06:04:16 am »
The great thing about being an artist is that you can do whatever you want to do and not give a toss what other people think  ;D

Unless if you take $30,240 per square feet pre orders ;-)   It's sad that these heroic figures are commercialized this way but I guess they also need to make a buck.

BTW, I am not a moon walker but took once a Zero G flight and experienced also moon gravity. You lay on your tummy, do pushup with one hand and stand. Pretty neat.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2014, 06:44:44 am »
Unless if you take $30,240 per square feet pre orders ;-)   It's sad that these heroic figures are commercialized this way but I guess they also need to make a buck.

He'd be lucky to get a couple a year.
It's not sad, he's found a way to make a living doing what he loves, well into his retirement too.  :-+
You'd be a fool to not make use of your name for being lucky and brave enough to be one of twelve moonwalkers.
Making art is also a way of continuing to share his unique experience using a medium no other human has or is capable of doing.
I give him huge props for dropping out of the Shuttle program to make a go of art full time.

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2014, 05:36:25 pm »
[Astronaut salaries are not very high - about $80k average. I'm sure it was less then.

If they find qualified employees at this price than this is a fair market value.  Apparently there is a great demand for those positions. 

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2014, 07:41:57 pm »
Most astronauts are still in the military, which means they are paid according to their pay grade.

It's not free-market pricing, it's determined by pay grade + years of service.

Civilian astronaut wages are not disclosed, not publicly, anyway.  Probably because they're very low or very high.

http://www.universetoday.com/41252/astronaut-salary/

Offline corrado33

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2014, 02:41:56 pm »
I would love to talk to any of the moonwalkers, especially "Jack" Schmitt. As a scientist myself I would love to talk to him about his time up there. Even the non scientist astronauts had a bit of knowledge of geology (at least the later ones did). Aldrin and Armstrong didn't really have the best scientific method for collecting samples. You should read about the process they made the later moonwalkers go through to collect samples. Multiple pictures with something for reference before and after they moved the rock, must have taken forever. But then again, they had the rovers.

Anyway, not to derail the thread further, but I think there is a time for "violence". People today are way too uptight and PC. As soon as their precious child gets touched (slapped, punched, pushed) by another child they call in the freaking calvary. I support what Aldrin did as well as what one of the previous posters did in this thread. Teach your kids to take care of themselves and there would be much less bullying in schools today (as well as much more confident children). Certainly less "verbal bullying" and "cyber bullying," (which prey on low self esteem children) which schools are terrible at enforcing rules for anyway. There are times when a person has to stick up for themselves instead of running for mommy and daddy. A quick punch can end a conflict much faster than weeks of arguing by parents and administrators. I got in a few fistfights when I was younger to no ill effect. What happened to the days when parents went and talked to other parents instead of using school resources to settle disputes between their children?

jucole

« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2014, 03:18:37 pm »

meh; it's just novelty art! ;-)

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2014, 09:29:48 am »
Mission accomplished...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf