Author Topic: Rip arcade machine  (Read 39099 times)

Offline UshiwakaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rip arcade machine
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2017, 12:21:46 pm »
This was a sponsored video, so the money almost certainly paid for the (top notch looking) arcade machine which is a real shame  >:(
The sponsor may have even proposed the idea to them.
A single video sponsorship deal on a channel like this is probably in the order of $20k+

Extra irony: The sponsor is a mobile game company, whom made a mobile game that will never be able to compete with Ms. Pacman

If Dan bought such an old arcade cab, then he has the responsibility to maintain and keep it in good shape.

shame on you wuts inside  :--
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:23:25 pm by Ushiwaka »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2017, 12:22:34 pm »
Sorry Dave!
But what's wrong, I just pointed out the facts....

You are making PERSONAL ATTACKS. Stop it or you will be banned. That goes for P90 as well.

By all means criticise the video, express your disapproval, call the video stupid, the idea stupid etc, but when you attack the person then you have crossed the line.
P90 was the worst offender here.

I don't hate this guy or something, it's just this guy is really, really retarded.

There you go, you just made a personal attack by calling the person retarded instead of the idea and/or the video retarded.
Understand now?

The following users thanked this post: Ushiwaka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2017, 12:24:12 pm »
Sorry Dave!
But what's wrong, I just pointed out the facts....

You are making PERSONAL ATTACKS. Stop it or you will be banned. That goes for P90 as well.

By all means criticise the video, express your disapproval, call the video stupid, the idea stupid etc, but when you attack the person then you have crossed the line.
P90 was the worst offender here.

I don't hate this guy or something, it's just this guy is really, really retarded.

There you go, you just made a personal attack by calling the person retarded instead of the idea and/or the video retarded.
Understand now?

Thanks Dave :-+

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2017, 12:24:39 pm »
it's just this guy is really, really retarded.

No, he's not. He has no understanding of electronics, which places him in about 99% of the world's population. He started making these videos as a learning exercise for his son, starting off with simple objects. I think the first was a baseball. It was about curiosity and exploration. He started the channel for no other purpose than to record these times with his son. He had no idea it would gain in popularity so quickly.

Understand that he and his family do not subscribe to the cult of materialism, where the accumulation of things define your social status, refusing to agree with that is considered heresy and destruction of things is sacrilege; he has no love of things. He apparently makes good money (outside of YouTube) and has plenty, but it is just stuff to him.

I just had to point out

That's part of the problem.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2017, 12:28:37 pm »
it's just this guy is really, really retarded.

No, he's not. He has no understanding of electronics, which places him in about 99% of the world's population. He started making these videos as a learning exercise for his son, starting off with simple objects. I think the first was a baseball. It was about curiosity and exploration. He started the channel for no other purpose than to record these times with his son. He had no idea it would gain in popularity so quickly.

Understand that he and his family do not subscribe to the cult of materialism, where the accumulation of things define your social status, refusing to agree with that is considered heresy and destruction of things is sacrilege; he has no love of things. He apparently makes good money (outside of YouTube) and has plenty, but it is just stuff to him.

I just had to point out

That's part of the problem.

I'm not talking about the part that he has no understanding of electronics, what I'm talking about is he did very little research before carrying out this video....
He recklessly destroyed a cab w/o knowing how rare it is....

I really felt bad for that cab.....

Offline X

• Regular Contributor
    • This is where you end up when you die...
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2017, 12:31:36 pm »
I just RARed it

and found out that EEVblog forums doesn't like *.rar
So I just ZIPped it. I could extract it, but I was lazee
Then stop being lazy. This kind of attitude is detrimental to your case. With posts like this it is easy to see where Dave is coming from. I applaud your effort in trying to bring this guy down, but as I said previously, you don't want to make an arse out of yourself when doing so. Believe me, it's just not worth it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2017, 12:31:45 pm »
I just RARed it

and found out that EEVblog forums doesn't like *.rar
So I just ZIPped it. I could extract it, but I was lazee
Then please stop being lazy, it really doesn't help your cause. With posts like this it is easy to see where Dave is coming from. I applaud your effort in bringing this guy down, but as I said previously, you don't want to make an arse out of yourself when doing so. Believe me, it's just not worth it.

i was on a rush, too lazy and had too little time to pack it properly

If I made you angry then sorry  :-//

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2017, 12:33:38 pm »
Best comment on the video:

The following users thanked this post: Omega Glory, buck converter, Ushiwaka

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2017, 12:33:48 pm »

And yet you feel perfectly reasonable attacking the person. The priorities of some members on this board are very questionable. It's a thing. It doesn't matter if it was a Ming vase.

Dave, this is the second time this has come up in as many weeks, BTW: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/65'-flat-screen-tv-tear-down/

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2017, 12:36:10 pm »

And yet you feel perfectly reasonable attacking the person. The priorities of some members on this board are very questionable. It's a thing. It doesn't matter if it was a Ming vase.

Dave, this is the second time this has come up in as many weeks, BTW: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/65'-flat-screen-tv-tear-down/

Yeah, it is a thing, but to many people it's not only a thing.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2017, 12:36:21 pm »

I'm not talking about the part that he has no understanding of electronics, what I'm talking about is he did very little research before carrying out this video....

Watch the video. He said it wasn't all that rare, so he obviously did some research. Now that might be wrong, I don't know, but he knew what it was worth, he said he value in the video as well.

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2017, 12:38:02 pm »
Yeah, it is a thing, but to many people it's not only a thing.

Understand that he and his family do not subscribe to the cult of materialism, where the accumulation of things define your social status, refusing to agree with that is considered heresy and destruction of things is sacrilege...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2017, 12:38:49 pm »

Watch the video. He said it wasn't all that rare, so he obviously did some research. Now that might be wrong, I don't know, but he knew what it was worth, he said he value in the video as well.

I said "very little", I didn't say he did no research at all...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2017, 12:52:06 pm »

I have no problem with people destroying stuff for entertainment, especially if it's educational. Heck, even I have torn down very nice working vintage items and ruined them in the process for the sake of entertainment and education. I could have torn them down non-destructively and put it back together, but it would have required an inordinate amount of work. I've even been attacked for destroying brand new expensive items. But I'm not siding with him because I've done a similar thing before, it's because it's just wrong to attack someone like I have seen here.

Ok, I found very little educational value in this video, and it could have been done infinitely better to add educational value, but ultimately it's just entertainment, and it is what it is. You can vote with your thumb and lack of subscription, and leave comments. But attacking people for doing this is wrong.
And yes, I'm just as pissed off as anyone that he destroyed a perfectly good vintage arcade machine  >:(
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:56:56 pm by EEVblog »

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2017, 01:03:39 pm »
Ok, I found very little educational value in this video, and it could have been done infinitely better to add educational value, but ultimately it's just entertainment, and it is what it is.

To be clear, his channel started out as an attempt at being educational. Sadly, once the views started rolling in, it switched to entertainment. There have been many times where I was shocked he didn't just pull out a screwdriver. He and his son would have learned more if he could have inspected the components, but it's no longer about education. Still, to attack someone for breaking a thing is crossing a line.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2017, 01:08:40 pm »
To be clear, his channel started out as an attempt at being educational. Sadly, once the views started rolling in, it switched to entertainment. There have been many times where I was shocked he didn't just pull out a screwdriver. He and his son would have learned more if he could have inspected the components, but it's no longer about education.

Yes, I have seen the channel before (not a subscriber) and actually enjoyed several videos that were quite educational and interesting. So much so that I didn't mind the "entertainment" aspect of the way they often tore into some of the things.
This is the first one I have seen that made me go, woah, this is terrible.
They went from zero to 1M subs in a year, that would tend to go to your head pretty quickly.
And as a Youtuber with a big audience I can understand the pressure to do bigger and better things.
Looking at the list of latest videos, it seems they are sponsored for almost every video now.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:12:10 pm by EEVblog »

Offline X

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2017, 01:15:26 pm »
I would argue that if the channel diverts from education to entertainment (without loosing direction) , AND if it attracts views because it's entertaining, then the channel is achieving its purpose. He has the right to be entertaining (within reason), and ultimately views are attracted because of entertaining content.

Educational content is a delicate balance. You can't be shit boring, and you can't be flash-bang-trendy-bendy-bling-bling exciting.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:20:57 pm by X »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2017, 01:22:05 pm »
For those curious as to how much they would be earning from this channel, approximately about $50K/month in ad revenue (assuming no Adpocolypse effect), and as I said, maybe $20k+ per sponsored video. So it could be approaching a $1M a year business for them.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2017, 01:23:28 pm »
I would argue that if the channel diverts from education to entertainment (without loosing direction) , AND if it attracts views because it's entertaining, then the channel is achieving its purpose. He has the right to be entertaining (within reason), and ultimately views are attracted because of entertaining content.

I wouldn't disagree with that, and this channel might be the perfect example of this.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2017, 01:24:04 pm »
It's a thing. It doesn't matter if it was a Ming vase.

Well MarkS, I would like to respectivly disagree very strenuously. VERY strenuously.

Is the original Mona Lisa just a "thing"? How about other art that is representative of human cultural changes and advances? What about the Roman coliseum, or the Mayan relics. Are they just "things' that can be destroyed with no rebuttal or outcry? What if he had the power to blow them up, and did it? If that guy bought the Mona Lisa (as an example) and burned it would you be OK with that? I assume you would. I doubt you would have the same attitude towards your "things" though.

I DO NOT place this arcade machine on that level by any means; however I do disagree that just because it is a "thing" it has no value at all and destroying this "thing" is a horrible example to set. I've said in the thread that if he owns it he can destroy it (go back and look), but I damn sure ain't going to agree with his attitude about certain "things" such as this, as I've pointed out. We have a right and obligation to make our opinions known, as long as we try to do it correctly.

So, using the term "it's just a thing" is a copout, and I think you know it.

That's MY opinion.  :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:25:52 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Zbig, Omega Glory

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2017, 01:36:13 pm »
So, using the term "it's just a thing" is a copout, and I think you know it.

No, it's not. Would I be saddened that a priceless artifact was destroyed? Yes. I was shocked when ISIS started destroying historical sites. Would I attack someone for destroying a priceless artifact? No, save for the ISIS issue, but that is a whole other matter.

All that being said, these arcade consoles were produced by the thousands and we're not lacking in duplicates. We're down by one, not down to none. The reactions I'm seeing here are totally disproportionate with what was done. Even if it were the last one, the reactions here are abhorrent.

Understand, that I have absolutely no love for things. There is nothing I have or have ever had that means enough to me to get more than a few days of sadness once lost. The most devastating loss for me was a hard drive that was stolen out of my house about 15 years ago. I couldn't care less about the drive. However, it held projects that I had been working on since my teens as well as some games that my dad made that cannot be replaced. Still, I hold no malice towards the thief. Life goes on. I look at the world very differently than a significant portion of the population. If it doesn't directly affect the health and well being of people, I probably don't care all that much.

The following users thanked this post: VulcanBB18

Offline skarecrow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2017, 01:40:56 pm »
please watch the video first,
that way you understand why some of us are upset.

I don't care if you are upset, there will be no personal attacks on this forum, got it?
Watching the video definitely upset me. I don't believe I actually attacked the guy though. My appologies if any of my comments offended anyone. We all love you Dave, and I'm sure none of us want to get banned.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: buck converter

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2017, 01:45:22 pm »
No, it's not. Would I be saddened that a priceless artifact was destroyed? Yes. I was shocked when ISIS started destroying historical sites. Would I attack someone for destroying a priceless artifact? No, save for the ISIS issue, but that is a whole other matter.

No, it isn't "a whole other matter". They are "things", as you say. So I guess there are "things, and then, there are "things". Some things are more important than others it would seem to you now. You just made the distinction that you were so actively tearing down.

All that being said, these arcade consoles were produced by the thousands and we're not lacking in duplicates. We're down by one, not down to none. The reactions I'm seeing here are totally disproportionate with what was done. Even if it were the last one, the reactions here are abhorrent.

So how many "things" are too many so they have no meaning? One? Two? 27? Is it OK to destroy ALL the machines like that one until there is but one left? I don't understand your reasoning MarkS.

Understand, that I have absolutely no love for things. There is nothing I have or have ever had that means enough to me to get more than a few days of sadness once lost.

I really like my "things" MarkS. I really do, because I put a lot of time into some of them, like some of the test equipment I restore. If some of these "things" got damaged I would be very upset. They mean quite a lot to me. Is that a character disorder of the First Order? If it is I'm among good company.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2017, 01:55:58 pm »
No, it isn't "a whole other matter". They are "things", as you say. So I guess there are "things, and then, there are "things". Some things are more important than others it would seem to you now. You just made the distinction that you were so actively tearing down.

ISIS is far more than some guy in his back yard with a saw and camera. I wouldn't attack them for the destruction; I would attack them for their existence, seeing what they are, what they stand for and the atrocities they have committed. They need to be wiped out for the safety of mankind. It is a completely different matter. I only brought it up to illustrate that there are some things that do affect me.

So how many "things" are too many so they have no meaning? One? Two? 27? Is it OK to destroy ALL the machines like that one until there is but one left? I don't understand your reasoning MarkS.

Again, things have no meaning to me regardless of the quantity. You are missing my point. Even if it were the last one in existence, the reactions by some of the members here is appalling. It is a thing, nothing more.

I really like my "things" MarkS. I really do, because I put a lot of time into some of them, like some of the test equipment I restore. If some of these "things" got damaged I would be very upset. They mean quite a lot to me.

Get upset, but measure your reaction, understand that it is replaceable and move on. The reactions I've seen on this thread are what I would expect if Dan disemboweled Lincoln or cut open a live animal. Totally disproportionate to the action.

The following users thanked this post: VulcanBB18

Offline X

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2017, 02:22:20 pm »
ISIS is far more than some guy in his back yard with a saw and camera. I wouldn't attack them for the destruction; I would attack them for their existence, seeing what they are, what they stand for and the atrocities they have committed. They need to be wiped out for the safety of mankind. It is a completely different matter. I only brought it up to illustrate that there are some things that do affect me.
Actually, most of ISIS is "some guy in his back yard", but often with more destructive tools than a saw.

Again, things have no meaning to me regardless of the quantity. You are missing my point. Even if it were the last one in existence, the reactions by some of the members here is appalling. It is a thing, nothing more.
Maybe not to you, but to those who may have invested time and effort into them, or people who have had memories playing with these "things" and who may have wanted one as a collector's item, this kind of behaviour is likely to piss them off.

Get upset, but measure your reaction, understand that it is replaceable and move on. The reactions I've seen on this thread are what I would expect if Dan disemboweled Lincoln or cut open a live animal. Totally disproportionate to the action.
Of all the posts in this thread, only a handful of them are uncalled for, and they are certainly nothing like a reaction to someone disemboweling their son or pets. Perhaps you are taking these attacks too seriously.

Let's put this into another perspective. 99% of all the humans in existence to be "things" they are generally of little significance. Yet, if someone was to destroy those things, and someone else attacked that somebody, would you be on the same "measure your reaction, understand that it is replaceable and move on" moral high horse?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 02:29:50 pm by X »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf