Author Topic: photo help  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Aviator XTopic starter

• Contributor
photo help
« on: July 06, 2017, 02:25:51 pm »
I'm still new to this forum, but not to forums in general. I'm having trouble posting images.  Is there something I'm missing? Usually I would hit the insert image icon, browse the computer, and select image. I think I'm missing a step. Your assistance is appreciated.

Ah-Ha! And the learning continues.  :-+
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:23:59 am by Aviator X »

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
Re: photo help
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 02:43:40 pm »
I can perfectly view the picture you posted
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

The following users thanked this post: Aviator X

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 02:44:36 pm »
Eureka! I got it.

I was clicking the Insert Image icon under the Bold icon. I found the Attachments and other options tab down below. Newbies, geesh. :clap:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 04:50:24 pm »
But you got there ... and all by yourself!!

Shows you have problem solving skills - and aren't afraid to ask for help.  You will do well here!   :-+

For the advanced lesson, go up to your post with the thumbnail and click on the thumbnail.  The image will expand.  Right click on the expanded image and "copy the image address".

Now ... modify your post, pick a spot in your post and click on the "Insert Image" button.  Paste the image address you just copied in the middle of the code and click Save.

For extension credits - add height and/or width parameters.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 05:05:47 pm »

For the advanced lesson, go up to your post with the thumbnail and click on the thumbnail.  The image will expand.  Right click on the expanded image and "copy the image address".

Now ... modify your post, pick a spot in your post and click on the "Insert Image" button.  Paste the image address you just copied in the middle of the code and click Save.

Do you know a way to get the forum address or image number after just uploading it and not going through the "post" step?  Of course, one way is to use an off-site image service, but I do not like doing that nor think it is good for this forum.

John

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 07:10:43 pm »
The upload is performed as part of the "Post" process.  There is no way I know to upload an image through the forum by any other process.

As for where photos are hosted (stored) - this is a subject that has been discussed before ... and most recently in response to Photobucket making 3rd party image hosting available to a paid service.

Bottom line - by all means upload your images to the forum database.  This ensures the images will remain available for display in posts and not be subject to the whims and/or existence of external photo hosting services.

Also, it is appreciated if images are sized (as in file size) as small as reasonably possible, while retaining the detail necessary.  (Note: there are limits enforced on this - so take care.)

The following users thanked this post: jpanhalt

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 08:08:45 pm »
I usually use the Win7  snipping tool.   That takes care of file size (no mega files from me!).  On every other site I visit, I can just paste the image.  Here, I go through the dialog of save, find, upload, etc.  No big deal, but it seems sort of unnecessary in today's world.

Thanks for confirming what I thought was the situation.

John

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 08:19:09 pm »

Do you know a way to get the forum address or image number after just uploading it and not going through the "post" step?  Of course, one way is to use an off-site image service, but I do not like doing that nor think it is good for this forum.

John
No, there is no simple way.

Once you have a # of uploaded file/images you can hunt them out from your Profile in Show Post/Attachments.
Then you grab the URL and link it into a new post.

When you have multiple images you want to embed in a post, the best/fastest way is to have 2 tabs open and copy the URL's across from the uploaded thumbnails into the post you are modifying.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 11:59:26 am »
For extension credits - add height and/or width parameters.

Still working on that one.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf