Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1497666 times)

Offline cloudscapes

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #700 on: August 12, 2012, 05:08:27 pm »
New guy here,

Not an EE student or anything, not even that great at theory or math. Just a geek who started dabbling with DIY guitar pedals and electronic instruments back in 2007. It's a semi-serious thing now, where I'm actually considering making it my bread-earner! They've complexified quite a bit by now, using 8bit micros and recently PIC32s! Still learning all the while.

I've been watching the blog since episode 10 or thereabouts! ;D I don't really have great gear. A cheap Owon scope, an okay UNI-T meter, a WES51 iron, a few other things. I use Diptrace for layouts. Used to etch my own boards. Can't be bothered anymore unless I'm in a huge hurry. Some recent things I've made:

http://nearworlds.org/stuff/nautilus_pots.jpg
http://nearworlds.org/stuff/sneak_peek_guts.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7039/6919415825_4edeca96f9_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7068/6878939753_27cd2ff139_o.jpg

My blog
http://www.soniccrayonfx.com
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 05:10:52 pm by cloudscapes »

Offline adauphin

• Supporter
« Reply #701 on: August 13, 2012, 01:04:34 am »
Not an EE here but I play one on TV.... ;D  Been a big DIYer forever and am far more mechanically inclined than electronically. Always had the desire to get into the electronic field but life has taken me elsewhere.....never too late though.

Having grown up with using film cameras, I feel slightly ahead of the curve with the newest crop of digital cameras....mainly for light metering. This just goes to show that you really need to undestand the basics for what you are working on to be at the top of your game. Now that I am tinkering around with old amplifiers and such, I want to get my feet wet with an analog oscilloscope to mainly understand the "roots" of the game.

I'm the type of person that needs to tear everything apart just to see how it works, hard for me to say "I can't figure it out"...just need more time to that's all.

My son is turning 4 next month and when he gets older, I want him to be able to diagnose and repair the things I do so he can have a good idea of what he wants to be, as well as just being handy. The more he gets his hands dirty the easier of a decision it will be for him to make for his career. My daughter is 6 and likes the things I do as well but isn't as interested in the "hands on" as my son...just part of the gene I suppose.  ;)

Glad to be a part of the community.

Doug

Offline ratdude747

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #702 on: August 14, 2012, 03:17:52 am »
Ratdude747 here.

I am currently both an electronics enthusiast and a sophomore at Purdue Collge of technolgy (New Albany) as a EET student.

I've been mucking with electronics since I was in 4th grade (mom bought me a radio shack sensorlab kit), been soldering sice I was a fresman in HS (Learned on an FIRST FRC team).

Most of my past "experiments" are documented over at Badcaps.net (I'm a Mod there). However, more and more of them would be more along the lines of this forum  and thus why I finally joined.

My other current hobbies are bicycles and FIRST robotics (currently an Event volunteer and a technical adviser of sorts).

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #703 on: August 14, 2012, 03:19:35 am »
Hey ratdude. I remember you from Badcaps. I think my username was TheLaw. Wasn't too active but I did have a bunch of posts.

Welcome aboard

Offline WhatTheFlux

« Reply #704 on: August 15, 2012, 03:11:39 am »
Hey all,  I'm not an EE or anything close,  but as a hobby I have been trying to restore vintage computers and video game systems.  I decided if I am going to do this (and maybe more) as a hobby,  I need to learn to do it right.   Look forward to absorbing as much information I can, and look forward in building my confidence when I attempt all of my future repairs.

Offline pinchies

• Contributor
    • Thermal Camera Rental Melbourne
« Reply #705 on: August 16, 2012, 12:02:39 pm »
Hello! Another aussie here. I've done one electronics subject at uni, love to mess around with electronics/mechatronics projects.

Offline maiakaat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #706 on: August 16, 2012, 01:53:37 pm »
Hi

I'm Jodi, my background is in software engineering (degree), although recently I have begun to explore embedded electronics again, and am re-learning the stuff I didn't learn or forgot from dropping out of my computer engineering course over a decade ago, fortunately I realised I could go back to Uni as an adult student. (I thought learning something like software or electronics was not possible if you were past a certain age for some reason) I'm planning to work with the Raspberry Pi on some projects, although my focus is likely to be on software in the future.

I wish the internet was widely accessible and well established when I was a teen. :O), I hope young adults and kids realise wheat they have, although I am glad that we had computing at least, being born in the 40's would be terrible.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #707 on: August 17, 2012, 10:11:34 pm »
My name is Fred, i'm a HAM, pa4tim. 49 years old. My main intrest is in analog design, (micro) measurements, calibration, component behaviour and network analysis. I'm a fan of Jim Williams and Bob Pease. I like reading  a lot about analog desing and do many ( often unusual) measurement experiments. They vary from measuring the impedance of water up to trying to measure the skin effect on a bare wire, the complex impedance of batterys, but my favourites are capacitors. I can and have measured every aspect from them. Build my own fF meter and the next step will be aF.
I'm a member of some instrument groups on Yahoo, like the HP, GR , marconi, R&S and Tekscopes groups. Also very active on a Dutch forum called Circuits Online.

I collect, build, design and restore measusement gear.
I can measure uOhm to pOhm, pA tot A, aF to F, pH to H, nV to kV ect.
I have severals anlysers like 3 VNA's, several SA's, noiseanalyser ect
lots of scopes ( mini and maxi, 500 KHz tot 5 GHz) most of the big ones Tek mainframes. My only modern one is a 350MHz Hameg DSO ( my pride and joy after the disaster called Rigol DS1102 )

And about > 30 meters ( lost count) electrometers, spotgalvanometers, multimeters, powermeters, nuldetectors, ect, the oldest VTVM a 1948 GR1800 the newest DMM a Keithley 2000. Small simple analog meters from WW2 to things like simpson, unigor and AVO, digital from old 2,5 digit flukes to 7,5 digit solartron.

Lots of probes ( hi-Z, active, passive, current, HV ect)

Calibration gear ( guildline standard cells, 5 fluke and Philips calibrators, 3 kelvin varley dividers, ESI and GR standards)

Other stuff like pulsegenerators ( upto 250 MHz, sub-nano, HV) RF and function generators, curvetracer, powersuplys, lcr, esr meters

All sorts of bridges, most of then GR. (1620,1608,1650, marconi, boonton, HP)

One thing I must say, and not make friends with it I think:
I think am one of the few here that does not idolise cheap Chinese junk. I have not read all topics so i probably have the wrong picture , but that seems to be the only "nasty" tendency here. Lots of "fights" about which junk is the best, often based on nothing other then good looks or nice menus or compared to other junk ( sorry to say it like this) Probably because i am spoiled rotten working with quality stuff. ( old and new) i want to see in a test how accurate it is, what it does under changing temperature, or with half empty battery, or the noise level, channel separation, dead time, ect ect. Not if there is a dot instead of an invered cursor in a menu, if the pcb looks nice and if itis in a gift box ect.
For instance, the holy Rigol I had for two years. The probes went in the trashcsn after three months, the selectbutton worked half of the time after one and a half year and after it lost its triggerlevel knob i gave it away to a student with no budget. It just fell off like leaves in the authum, no wonder, a flimsy hollow shaft in a even thinner sleeve. Just plain old crap ( besides a high moise level, inaccurat measurements, the complete failure to capture runts, the jitter, the distorted waveforms in memory , things like Tr or amplitude that changes if you move the trace ect

Oh, be warned:
I can not give short answers  ;) they allways turn out a bit too long. Especially about scopes and multimeters and do

Do not mention the words ESR, capacitance or ESL in witch case i get over excited.

I came here after seeing some of steves videoblogs and alltough I have not seen all of them , I like them. He says what he thinks. Then while looking for info while repairing a PM2811 PSU i found this forum and decides to register.

So here I am.

Fred, PA4TIM.

www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline singera

• Contributor
« Reply #708 on: August 17, 2012, 10:43:30 pm »
Hey my name is Arnon Singer, almost 31 years old, live in israel, just finished my B.sc at HIT (Holon Instatute of Technology), now I do some courses in high current and voltage systems to have 3*250A licence I will finish about almost a year from now, my gradute project will be "development and building DC motor separate excited speed control using arduino controller" I will use 0.5-4HP motors.

I work with electronics since age 8.

also in this days Iam looking for a DSO about 400$ include shipping to israel.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #709 on: August 18, 2012, 12:38:33 pm »
Hi all,

I'm a professional electronic engineer based in the UK. I have a degree and have been doing electronics full time for the last 15 years. I had my first multimeter when I was about 7 years old, and electronics has always been the thing I'm reasonably good at which people will actually pay me to do. That simple fact pretty much set my career path!

Looking forward to browsing for ideas, and you never know, I might even be able to contribute something useful once in a while too.

Andy

Offline poptones

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #710 on: August 18, 2012, 08:38:59 pm »
Hello everyone! I'm a USian, been around the internets some years now and been an on again/off again engineer since I was 21 which was way more decades ago than I care to admit. Arrived here of course via the youtube channel, didn't even know this place existed until I saw Dave mention it in his latest drive time rant!

I have a long background in audio, dating back to my teenage years when I made a high end phono preamp. Did some massive posting on rahe, got courted by a couple of audio rags but I've recovered from all that and am focusing on the stuff that got me interested in electronics back when I was a kid - namely making cool stuff on a geurila budget. My latest projects involve music synthesizers, guitar amps and meditative instruments. I love analog electronics, working with vacuum tubes, and I love working with microcontrollers and - yes, Dave - programming in assembler!

Offline Ivanko1

• Contributor
« Reply #711 on: August 19, 2012, 12:53:43 am »
Hi, my name is Ivan, i'm from Ukraine (Euro-2012, remember?:). I'm a beginner in radioelectronics.)))

P.s. Sorry for my bad english.)

Offline rocksoft

« Reply #712 on: August 22, 2012, 09:58:39 am »
Hi, name is Liam an embedded software engineer 20+ years from the UK. Finally registered after buying a uCurrent.

Offline Trevor Matthews

• Television-Magazine-Forum
« Reply #713 on: August 22, 2012, 10:34:54 am »
Hi all

Been following Dave for a long time, you signed up on my forum once Dave 8)

I am a TV engineer in the UK. I run a forum for engineers at www.television-magazine-forum.co.uk

I just published a review of the Mantis Elite that I have added to your Mantis post.

I am interested in all aspects of electronics but especially in trying to make much cheaper versions of BGA re-work equipment.
Us poor TV engineers can't afford the proper gear.  :'(
Regards
Trevor

Offline furkan_aytac

« Reply #714 on: August 22, 2012, 07:35:48 pm »
Hii everyone i am from Turkey.Electronics eng. student.I want to improve myself automotive.As you know there is a lot of electronic circiuts in cars.And with EVs the power electronic becomes more important.So especially i want microprocessors , microcontrollers and power electronic.I am open every assistance.Books,videos,suggestions,conversations....Thanx in advance...

Offline rjk5378

• Contributor
  • "Life is a science fair!" - Forrest Mims
    • Law Offices of Robert J. Keller, P.C.
« Reply #715 on: August 22, 2012, 11:33:19 pm »
Hi. I'm Bob in Bethesda, Maryland (Washington DC area). I am a telecommunications attorney and an amateur radio licensee (KY3R), but still consider myself barely more than a beginner in electronics. Have been watching EEVBlog for several months now, and also went back and looked at most of the old ones from the beginning. Really like it. It is always entertaining, I have learned a great deal, but I must admit lots of times the stuff is over my head. But sometimes what is Greed to me one day, becomes crystal clear several weeks later once I learn more. Anyway, decided to see if I can figure out the forum and learn even more here--and, of course, have some fun. Thanks.
- Bob, KY3R

Offline Ultimation

• Blog
« Reply #716 on: August 24, 2012, 11:11:27 pm »
Yo

I'm Andy from England. I'm going into second year at the University of Surrey in Guildford, and have been working as an intern this summer at a EE consultancy.
Did A-level electronics, learned a fair bit, learnt the most at a few months at an intern ship though. Sort of makes the education seem a bit rubbish.
My blog is here. I really need to get it off blogspot at some point.

I love to design and build, personal projects as well as work/university, it's far easier to find the motivation to finish ones at work though...
Still learning a lot, but also know a lot. So yeah, Hi.

Offline Stephenniall

• Contributor
« Reply #717 on: August 26, 2012, 08:54:03 pm »
Hey, I'm stephen. I'm 15 and from Manchester, In the UK.

Always trying to expand my knowledge !

Cheers,

Stephen

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #718 on: August 28, 2012, 03:55:36 pm »
Hi I'm Frenky a web developer from Slovenia. I have some EE education and in my spare time I love to play with electronics...

Offline Daniyal

• Contributor
« Reply #719 on: August 31, 2012, 10:59:54 am »
Hey all, This is Daniyal I'm a 4th year student at RMIT uni (Melbourne, AUS) studying electronics and communication engineering. I have been enjoying the blog for quite a bit of time and I also come to the forum some time, so I thought I should join the forum, anyway right now I'm at Augsburg, Germany doing a one year internship with Fujitsu, it's been pretty good except I studied more of the hardward stuff (like analog and digital circuits, RF circuits) at uni and thats where my interest is, but now I'm working at software R&D I don't know what to do or how should I think of this...   hope u all have a nice day :)

Offline cookie

• Contributor
« Reply #720 on: August 31, 2012, 12:24:22 pm »
hi everybody?I'm Maggie ,a student of  Université de Poitiers?located in Paris?No formal education in electric/electronics   but electronics is my hobby from early days....enjoying the blog

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #721 on: August 31, 2012, 12:28:49 pm »
Welcome Maggie!

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline tcort

« Reply #722 on: August 31, 2012, 01:56:49 pm »
Hi! I'm Tom. I'm a student in my final year of the Electronics Technology program at Heritage College in Gatineau, Quebec, Canada. I have a B.Sc. in Computer Science from Bishop's University, and I returned to school after a few years in the software industry to acquire the skills to enable me to get into embedded programming. I really enjoy watching the EEVBlog and listening to The Amp Hour podcast.

Offline wade

« Reply #723 on: August 31, 2012, 10:02:37 pm »
Hello, I am Wade, a software architect and engineer for the last 16 years originally from New Orleans, LA but I've been residing in the outskirts of Austin, TX for the past 9 years. I have been dabbling with electronics on and off since I was a small child but never did anything too serious. Recently I have been studying electronics with great focus (finally) and I am having a wonderful time learning, very similar to my very early days of learning computer programming. I am finally "getting it." I am in the early stages of building out my electronics lab in the very same room where my computer lab / guitar workstation resides (my home office). Yes, I've been rocking out on guitar too for over 22 years, but I also love the technical side of guitars (mechanical and electronics), amps (especially valve amps), effects, signal processing, etc.

Dave, love the vblog! I've only recently discovered it a couple weeks ago and I've been watching back episodes like crazy. Very helpful in many ways. I feel like I've been drinking from the electronics information fire hose. Keep it up!

To everyone else, this seems like a great electronics community. I hope to contribute!

Thanks,
Wade

Offline nelson

« Reply #724 on: September 01, 2012, 07:46:11 am »
Hello I'm Nelson from England. I'm 24 and a 2rd year student in power electronics.

Trying to expand my knowledge from here!

Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf