Author Topic: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts  (Read 142565 times)

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
Re: 'Master' and 'slave': Tech terms face scrutiny amid anti-racism efforts
« Reply #1750 on: July 30, 2020, 11:51:12 pm »
This is the proto-nazis being legitimised by the current thought fads around.
I think the far left have gone so far left the Integer overflowed and they suddenly ended up on the far right and haven't worked it out yet.
Nazis and Communists are very different animals with very different goals and motivations. About all they have in common is not abstaining from violence and actually lefty welfare policies. There was a video a few years ago of American students cheering Hitler quotes when they were told it was Obama. But that's where similarities end, because in a nutshell, the former believe that they will win because they are strong enough to just win while the latter believe that they will win because they are right. Well, history shows that both positions are dubious. But anyway, Nazis fight for themselves and their kin and make no secret of it, Bolsheviks unironically believe that they are fighting for everybody, save a few horrible people.

Learn to spot the difference, because it's fashionable to shit on Nazis for all the obvious reasons, but people really have a trouble with shitting on social justice warriors before it's too late.

If you look at Zach Goldbergs twitter you'll see some data he's been looking at regarding media/twitter. Here is a sneek peek. Essentially the way the media is fighting the lack of relevance is by writing news with an agenda for a specific audience rather than for america in general. At least that's what I got from it.
Nice, but there is not a single thing which "Americans in general" have in common anymore. Certainly not a concept of future that they would all want to share. It went to shit in the 60s when a parallel reality had been created of people who showed the finger to everything that came ever before and convinced themselves that they are the future, without actually having eliminated the enemy.

I think the reason you (mostly) avoided blood so far is because the "rednecks" hoped that the "hippies" will repent, and I know for a fact the "hippies" surely hope that the "rednecks" will go extinct. Both sides are heavily entrenched on their positions and finally losing patience, it seems. They also don't have much choice because their ways of life are utterly incompatible with each other.

IMHO you guys should have listened to McCarthy and Bezmenov when they warned you. Now it seems the West is losing the Cold War basically, 30 years after the East lost it too. Such are the miraculous powers of radical leftism.

you miss the days when the Whitenormative Patriarchal Social Order enforced a certain degree of cultural and ideological uniformity
Exactly the opposite.  I miss the times when you could get more than one view of events.  When you could actually see and listen to discussions where the opponents had totally different viewpoints, but explained their reasons for the differences, instead of asserting correctness and the evility of their opponent.
Yep, you miss the days when everybody agreed on the basic principle that people are fundamentally the same and all disagreements can be resolved by dialogue. You miss the Invisible Hand of The White Man which made you (plural) believe it and act it out. Because the White Man really believed it and enforced it, and allowed Commies to enjoy their freedom of speech, and Nazis to enjoy theirs, and Brown People to immigrate in numbers never seen before, and Green Aliens to immigrate without even showing their ID, and I'm not sure if all of that was actually a good idea.

White supremacists call Poles "niggers of Europe". Perhaps I should be glad we aren't White People ourselves :phew:
(I'm kidding myself, we are equally fucked but a few decades behind).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 11:53:58 pm by magic »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1751 on: July 31, 2020, 12:23:45 am »

I actually don't think the world (esp. USA/UK) is f*ked...   We have been going through social developments at a breakneck pace due to technological changes.  I think the political instabilities we are seeing are basically symptoms of stress, of being overwhelmed.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1752 on: July 31, 2020, 01:02:06 am »

I actually don't think the world (esp. USA/UK) is f*ked...   We have been going through social developments at a breakneck pace due to technological changes.  I think the political instabilities we are seeing are basically symptoms of stress, of being overwhelmed.

the catastrofuck that 2020 is turning out to be isn't helping

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1753 on: July 31, 2020, 02:24:08 am »
Yep, you miss the days when everybody agreed on the basic principle that people are fundamentally the same and all disagreements can be resolved by dialogue.
No, that's not it either.  The point of these discussions was not to find a watered down opinion that everyone could adopt, but to understand others viewpoints.  You still see this in the Intellectual Dark Web, where participants disagree before, during, and after the discussion, but they are interested in exactly how and why they disagree.   

I miss the time when people could argue for a viewpoint without being labeled an Enemy.  I miss the time when university students were supposed to be challenged and exposed to new ideas as part of their education, and were supposed to become stronger, self-standing, rational, and not more delicate and needing safe spaces and societal support against offensive concepts.  I miss the time when one could argue for a point of view in a debate just to uncover the true reasons others have for opposing that view/opinion, and others would assume it was just for advocatus diaboli, just for the sake of the discussion to reveal something interesting, and not a horrible revelation of ones thus-far hidden dark leanings like it is today.

I definitely don't actually want everyone to come to a shared Agreement, for all disagreements to be resolved; that's exactly the eusociality I abhor.  And do note that I use "eusocial" in its biological sense: it has nothing to do with politics.  It is not a political movement, it is about human evolution, anthropology, and biology.

There is no reason to "resolve" disagreements, as they are natural.  You only resolve conflicts, and you do that based on facts as best you can, not on opinion.  See?

The following users thanked this post: MK14, tpowell1830, james_s

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1754 on: July 31, 2020, 02:33:35 am »
Nazis and Communists are very different animals with very different goals and motivations. About all they have in common is not abstaining from violence and actually lefty welfare policies.

The way I see it, the nazis and the communists are the right and left fringes of the extreme edge of the authoritarian zone on the political compass. They are opposites and historically hate each other however their characteristics tend to be dominated by the authoritarian aspect which makes their behavior appear virtually indistinguishable. Positive and negative charges are opposite and react rather violently in sufficient magnitude but you wouldn't know the difference if you touched either one and got zapped.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #1755 on: July 31, 2020, 03:58:53 am »
What about "servo"? Doesn't it come from the Latin for slave?
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1756 on: July 31, 2020, 04:02:08 am »
It's clear now that this thread will never stay even remotely on topic, time to lock it.

The following users thanked this post: Neilm, mathsquid, Fred27, langwadt, tggzzz, Ian.M, nuclearcat, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf