Author Topic: Keeping track of things in the lab  (Read 33210 times)

Offline NivagSwerdnaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Keeping track of things in the lab
« on: February 26, 2016, 11:21:17 am »
I know this might sound trivial... but how do you keep track of things in the lab?

I have a collection of parts/samples gathered over the years and I have no idea what I have got... I was thinking of cataloguing them or at least trying to sort them into some sort of sets...

I was thinking of creating an Excel spreadsheet... is that what other people do?  Or some fantastic bar code scheme??

Regards
Nivag

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Keeping track of things in the lab
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 11:30:34 am »
Depends on how many you have of whatever types of devices.

I have a small collection which are basically bagged.  Non static sensitive ones just end up in ziplock bags.  These are grouped and dumped in rectangular plastic containers with a lids which can be stacked.

My cataloging system is: "I know I've got some TIP31Cs here somewhere...."

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 11:35:15 am »
I know this might sound trivial... but how do you keep track of things in the lab?

There is only one way, the Jim Williams method:

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 11:40:41 am »
The JW method is fine for those with an idetic memory, but the only reason I don't lose my balls is that they can't get out of the bag

Offline hopski

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:45:53 am »

There is only one way, the Jim Williams method:

I worked in a lab like this once. In the end we used the skip(Dumpster) method of filing 

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 12:04:41 pm »
The JW method is fine for those with an idetic memory, but the only reason I don't lose my balls is that they can't get out of the bag

More good spacial memory than eidetic memory. In certain parts of my life I'm probably messier than that but always know exactly where everything is, if you ask me where X, Y, or Z is I'll tell you straight off. But ask how my X looks different to another and I haven't clue :-\
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 01:27:41 pm »

Because 'things' come in so many sizes and shapes, as well as value ranges and numbering systems, you can't use one storage system or even ordering system for all of them. You have to be flexible.

Some of the systems I use, starting from most disorganized up to cataloged systems:

* Ziplock bags jumble-dumped in ice cream tubs and stackable cubes. The tubs are roughly categorized and labeled, the bags are not. This is mostly salvaged parts, that are not worth individually logging. Just tubs like 'medium size power transistors', etc. The ziplocks are only to keep sets of same parts together.

* For tiny SMD parts, small ziplock bags stacked in order in small cardboard boxes. Label each bag with a marker pen. Btw, did you know you can buy ziplocks in all sizes very cheap in bulk from China via ebay.

* Stackable cubes of stuff. Three different sizes of cubes (Ki-tab, and they stopped making them dammit, so no more available.) Many of these. Stuff like O-rings, big electros, small motors, toggle switches, IEC sockets, etc.

* The small B5 size product manuals & CDs that come with lots of stuff - B5 ziplock bags, upright in storage cubes that just happen to fit them. Keeps all the receipts, warranty, docs, CDs, and my notes together for each thing.

* Once I had a source of *many* of the flat cardboard boxes once used to contain PC motherboards. These are great, and I use them for a lot of stuff, on shelves and in cupboards.

* Rectangular plastic kitchen containers with sealing lids (decor, etc.) Good where you want to be able to see what's inside. Tend to be expensive for what they are, so I don't have many. Use these for high value stuff, like logic analyzer lead sets. Just found out a couple of days ago that the ones I standardized on so far are also no longer available. "Easy Store, 5L" Bugger.

* Parts drawer cabinets. Several different types. Long ago Dick Smith used to sell some really good ones, and I bought enough for a block holding all the resistor values. White plastic frame, red or blue plastic shallow drawers. Still use that. The rest are the metal frame and clear drawer kind.

* For any components where there are a lot of different numbers/values and they are naturally sequenced, I use small manila envelopes, standing upright in boxes with partitions arranged to be the same width as the envelopes so they stand in rows. This is a really good system since it allows for inserting/deleting values without hassle. Write the part number/value on the envelope; it acts like a card file system.
If the parts are static sensitive, wrap in al-foil before putting in the envelopes. DIP ICs can be stacked in 'blocks' then foil wrapped for minimum volume - can pack a lot of ICs in a small envelope this way, so the whole storage system becomes very dense.

* For the really large stuff, there's the 'fruitboxes stacked in a room' method. Good luck looking for something.

Overall, the worst problem with storage systems is that nothing good stays available. You'll start to use some system, then find you can't get any more of that container.

As for cataloging, for the parts worth doing, my preference is plain ASCII text files. Just write lists in them, and use simple search tools to find stuff. No dependency on fancy installed software, it's portable, easily backed up, etc.
Also allows for ad hoc notes on *where* stuff is stored too.

I can take pics, if anyone is interested. But tomorrow.

Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 03:28:18 pm »
Inventory.xlsx is how I do it.  2351 lines so far.

Have You Been Triggered Today?

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 04:12:31 pm »
Forget making an inventory - it's just too much hassle to create and update.

My approach is to file stuff by function, in boxes that are small enough to sort through to find something reasonably easily. Divide into sub-categories as required to avoid over-filling.

Size of box is actually quite important. Not too deep as this makes it hard to search and takes too much space. Long enough to take strips and shortened tubes, but not long and wide as stuff will get tangled more. Cheap enough to buy plenty of spares for new categories to to split a catergory when one box gets too full.

Also when parts arrive, transfer into the smallest bag it will fit into to avoid boxes getting full of empty bag volume.  Buy a range of very small grip-seal bags and some super-fine point permanent markers

These plastic boxes  are the best I've found so far -  250x110x30mm, clear so you can see inside, and pretty cheap. Only downside is lids don't latch. Got them on ebay - sold for stickers apparently. Can't immediately find them now.

For SMD strips of stuff like passives where you have a wide range of values, binders are the answer to keeping it all under  control. 

For TH resistors, drawers covering a range of values each - the range depends on the sort of quantity you want to keep in stock, typically 2-4 E12 values per drawer.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline vinicius.jlantunes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 05:21:56 pm »
Have a look at this thread for one option:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/partsbox-io-(parts-manager-web-based-tool)/msg744769/#msg744769

It's an online tool for keeping inventory of parts. I quite like it. It takes a bit of discipline of course, but I find it better than just putting it all in boxes without any kind or record.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 05:29:59 pm »
I was thinking of creating an Excel spreadsheet... is that what other people do?  Or some fantastic bar code scheme??

Regards
Nivag

Check eevblog #739.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 07:16:28 pm »
Size of box is actually quite important.
Do you have a link/part number for the boxes shown in the picture?
Alex

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 07:21:04 pm »

I have a collection of parts/samples gathered over the years and I have no idea what I have got... I was thinking of cataloguing them or at least trying to sort them into some sort of sets...
I have the parts I use regulary in a database and organised in several drawers sorted by type. The rest goes into a box which eventually gets emptied in the bin.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 08:41:39 pm »
Used to be tons on ebay - hard to find now not sure if they've disappeared or just swamped by search results
This is the only source I can immediately find:
http://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/craft-storage-boxes-c4/peel-off-sticker-sheet-plastic-storage-box-p103

Over the years I've always found it hard to find boxes in this sort of size at  a decent price - they usually get too tall as they get wider, or are the bigger, heavier assorter/compartment box types.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 08:52:55 pm »
Projects
Each project gets its own box and all components for this project from the mains lead to the cabinet feet go inside. If I'm awaiting component(s) then this gets written on a post-it note and stuck to the front until the part arrives. A copy of the schematic and/or construction article goes in there as well.

SMT Parts
Everything is slotted into 35mm negative holders then stored in two ring binders, lowest value first

Through-Hole Parts
Eight compartmentalized boxes with the contents written on the front using masking tape. Large quantities of parts such as resistor or capacitor sets are bagged and stored in the trays detailed below.

Large parts
Four large plastic trays each 70cm x 40cm x 15cm. A large card on the front lists the contents. I also have two of these trays full of tools, Three full of various wires and cables, one full of glues and tapes, one full of heatsinks and cases and one containing my stock of PCB material and perf board. All the trays are housed in a custom cabinet that doubles as a printer stand.

Chemicals and Paints
Stored in a fireproof cupboard.

Test leads
Three convenient coat hooks that were on the back of the workshop door when I arrived.

And finally...........................

A large junk box that gets raided once in a while. When it's full I stop buying junk so a bit of discipline is needed here.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 08:55:47 pm »
As an additional note: I keep a seperate plastic box for each project. Ikea has these really cheap boxes called SAMLA with a lid and they are perfect for keeping all the stuff for larger projects.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 09:12:21 pm »
Used to be tons on ebay - hard to find now not sure if they've disappeared or just swamped by search results
http://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/craft-storage-boxes-c4/peel-off-sticker-sheet-plastic-storage-box-p103

Search for "peel off plastic boxes".

They are a lot more economical if you get a large pack - £0.68 per box if you buy 50.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 09:19:03 pm »
As for the Jim Williams picture, I prefer the hell that was Bob Pease office :)

Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 09:34:57 pm »
Would you use an Android app that works as an inventory of your parts, if it was created specifically for electronic parts?
Depending on the features, would you pay for such app?
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 10:06:19 pm »

SWMBO wants to get me a prescription for some memory medicine but she is afraid that I will forget to take it.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 10:33:12 pm »
  • Small ziplocks with white strips for labels with permanent marker.
  • Large ziplock  contains plenty of small ziplocks of the same category
  • Drawers containing small ziplocks or roughly the same category.
  • Labelled boxes for big categories. The label is very important  to know where to search.
  • Some parts are registered in a google sheet. Like Logic circuits,  mosffet, transistors, electrolytic caps. 
    The big advantage is that I can access the list from anywhere, on any device.

No connection from the google sheet file to the location, but at least I know I have the part somewhere.

The organisations keeps evolving as my parts amount increases.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 12:23:23 am »
And it is also reasonably priced. UK shop won't work for me, of course, but at least now I know what to look for. I would not have though people need plastic containers for peel off labels :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 12:30:13 am by ataradov »
Alex

Offline Stupid Beard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 08:59:06 am »
A few months ago I reorganised my parts boxes to make stuff easier to find. A couple of months ago, I wanted a thermistor. I knew I had at least a couple of them somewhere and I'm pretty sure I saw them while I was rearranging parts.

Couldn't find the damn things anywhere. Ended up buying 50 more of the buggers on aliexpress. Still can't find the old ones.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 10:11:40 am »
Would you use an Android app that works as an inventory of your parts, if it was created specifically for electronic parts?
Depending on the features, would you pay for such app?

Touch screens are fine for consuming information, i.e. viewing it.
Touch screens are appalling when creating information, i.e. data entry. Keyboards are preferable for that.
So use a PC when creating and manipulating the stocklist, and maybe a touchscreen when finding things.

Be aware that I have a PC right next to my collection, and my way of organising my collection will differ from other people's.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 10:14:37 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf