Author Topic: Intel needs to update alot of eeproms in netcards  (Read 4104 times)

Offline ToomsTopic starter

• Supporter
Intel needs to update alot of eeproms in netcards
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:49:04 am »

Seems Intel has a issue in the eeprom in many of the netcards

An interesting blog post by Kristian Kielhofer describes how a specific SPI packet can "kill" an Intel Gigabit ethernet card [1]. If a card is exposed to this traffic, the system has to be physically power cycled. A reboot will not recover the system.
http://isc.sans.edu/diary/Intel+Network+Card+%2882574L%29+Packet+of+Death/15109

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Intel needs to update alot of eeproms in netcards
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:30:35 am »
I'm a bit puzzled as to how the eeprom can be involved - it usually just stores the MAC address.
Maybe there are some debug modes or something that were accidentally left enabled.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:47:14 am »
There's lots of other configuration info in there for the other features, such as "manageability" which is marketing-speak for being able to remotely control a machine while it is off by sending special packets through the ethernet controller. Those could cause many issues if not configured properly.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 01:35:36 pm »
I'm a bit puzzled as to how the eeprom can be involved - it usually just stores the MAC address.
Maybe there are some debug modes or something that were accidentally left enabled.

There are a lot of NICs with additional features to offload the CPU (mostly for servers). And don't forget WOL (Wake On LAN).

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 01:40:57 pm »
Brief summary:
- Intel 82574L effected
- any packet with 0x32 at offset 0x47f crashs the NIC (for example: ping -p 32 -s 1110 x.x.x.x)
- might be related to ASPM (Active State Power Management)

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 07:18:17 pm »
Even the dumbest network card still needs to do "stuff", starting with recognizing its own MAC (of course you can outsource this to a driver in the OS and run it on the main CPU, some kind of "winmodem network card" but it would be extremely wasteful). Of course they do many other things even for low-end motherboards like checksum offload, WOL, etc.
Better cards have some really nifty features like layer 3 firewalls or lights-out management.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 07:25:34 pm »

Seems Intel has a issue in the eeprom in many of the netcards

Nope, they don't:
http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Intel-Packet-of-Death-not-Intel-s-problem-1801537.html

In short: it's a single manufacturer who uses intel NICs on its products and who screwed up when flashing their EEPROMs.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 04:57:19 am »
If they had a robust CRC or other image integrity check, that problem would be caught during testing rather than continue on to cause a real nightmare.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline updatelee

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 05:37:44 am »
really doesnt surprise me, Ive done some work on various dvb cards in linux and the eeprom often stores the usb/pci vendor/subvendor id's. You can read or write the eeprom, I accidentally overwrote the vendor/subvendor id in the eeprom and sure enough it stuck, Linux would no longer load the driver because I had wrote 0000 for vendor/subvendor, a simple rewrite and I was good to go.  So if you can brick a dvb card over I2C Im not surprised you can brick an ethernet card over SPI.

UDL

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 01:31:42 pm »
Pre-2000 I bought one of the expensive-ish Creative sound cards and linux managed to brick 3 of them (as I was replacing them). The owner (which I knew very well) of the small shop that sold them to me wasn't happy at all...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf