Author Topic: Infrared Laser Wireless Charging  (Read 10395 times)

Online LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
Re: Infrared Laser Wireless Charging
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 10:49:08 pm »
      As a senior laser technician for a major university, and as a former field service engineer for a maker of solid state lasers, as well as a former laser show guy, I have twenty or more years experience aligning and modifying laser cavities. Often aligning them in places other then nice, stable, labs.
(For those who want to know more about that qualification, HENE, HECAD, ION, N2, Xenon, OPSL, CVL, OPA, OPO, YAG, MOPA, Three Wave, Nano, Femto and more, and 32 Joules of 532 in 700 Picoseconds)

I had a good laugh with this one.   Setting down in New Zealand , in a deep cave, is a helium-neon  ring laser gyro cavity that is a square ten meters on a side.  Its mirrors are selected to generously help correct with diffraction losses and to correct for astigmatism as the beam folds.  However it has to run with the beam paths in a vacuum to avoid diffractive effects from air currents, which would quickly stop lasing. It runs at a few hundred microwatts, so there goes power transfer with that one. It does a wonderful job measuring relativistic effects as the earth turns, and is a mighty fine micro-tremor detector too...

Long lasers are a holy grail, as generally, the longer the laser cavity is, the lower the divergence is, to a limit that arises on how small the beam diameter can get and also extract power from the gain medium, and the other lower limit on beam size is tied to diffraction (even in a vacuum) and scales based on wavelength.  There is a vary simple equation based on mirror radius and spacing for a two meter cavity that spells all this out.

At some point in time you hit a physical  limit on how shallow the radius of the cavity mirrors are. While I have personally used mirrors with a 10 meter radius, anything longer then that is essentially a flat. The ten meter radius in the simple case means a practical distance limit of just under four  and a half meters.    So as the distance from the laser medium to the mirrors change, the mirror radius has to change. Yes, in some cases, a flat mirror flat mirror pair is used, but they are nearly impossible to align and are known for very, very,  low power extraction from the laser medium.  The need for a changing mirror radius for maximal power extraction is a given.

Yes, you can have intracavity lenses to compensate, but as the lens focus moves it drastically would change the beam path, taking you right out of the active region. Because the sides of your moving, curved,  lenses are inherently a strong prism.  So now you need a six axis positioner to move the compensating lens to correct for its own distortion as you zoom focus.  The mechanics of this task, let alone the automation, would be amazing.

There are some tricks with prisms and retro reflectors  to fold the cavity back onto itself for "self-alignment" but none of them would even begin to fit on a phone, let alone work over more then say three meters,

With a one to three meter laser cavity, I'm usually having to have the strongly curved  mirrors aligned to one milli-radian  or better. To get there I have to make the laser cavity out of  very low expansion, or expansion compensated materials.   Usually I'm adjusting eighty pitch screws to get enough angular resolution to peak the alignment.  Then, even if we're lasing, we have to transverse the beam path across the beam path in the lasing medium to find the maximal power path, which usually takes a human about thirty minutes,  and a automated laser alignment system about two to  ten. There are a few scientific and industrial lasers that "Auto-Align" and "Auto Peak" with large arrays of stepper motors. Generally for them to work, a Human pre-aligns the output mirror until they can achieve capture.  I've never seen a system, outside of a laser production line in the factory, that can align without a human pre-aligning one end.

"Magical" techniques such as optical phase conjunction have a third order dependence on incident power, so there goes any self aligning nonlinear crystal resonators, as they would need hundreds of millijoules of coherent light just to start..  (Translation, NO STAR TREK style methodology , the scattered light  from the dust in the air or the "probe " beam hitting a wall  would be hazardous before it even started power transfer. )   The other side effect of optical phase conjunction is it would try to start lasing with any nearby polished  metal object, such as a fork or metallic watchband.

The box on the phone would be even bigger then what you would need for  uBeam's ultrasound. The vibration that occurs with a kitchen table or restaurant table would constantly force the system horribly out of alignment, and the energy to constantly servo the motor plus the fine adjust piezo would be enormous. Laying your fist palm down, gently, anywhere near the phone is going to constantly force a re-align. Did I mention that long lasers are ran on vibration dampers, often active dampers, or air tables, that decouple vibration.  Very long classical lasers are mounted in tunnels or caves, or on huge concrete pads, usually on the ground floor, just to avoid any bending in the structure that would result in   detuning. This is why the switch to fiber lasers have proven to be the needed power breakthrough for making effective  laser weapons.

I'm also awaiting the magical silicon cell that would not saturate well below the intensity per unit area provided by such a tight beam. After all, I usually have three ceramic scattering attenuator disks on a four percent beam pickoff  for a five watt laser, to keep the beam from basically shorting the detection cell out with saturation issues.  The other two methods of laser beam power conversion typically used are a piezo detector for high energy pulsed beams, and a Peltier with a black adsorbing disk  in reverse for continuous wave beams.  The "Power meter" detectors, aka thermopiles, need huge heat passive heat sinks to function.

I have not even started on the amount of dust in the air in a non-lab environment.

ALL the lasers I have ever worked on have enclosed beam paths to negate power loss and beam distortion from dust, oxygen,  and moisture in the air.

NO, not in this century, and the hardware requirements would be amazingly expensive, even if you used ND:YAG or CO2 lasing mediums, Direct diode lasing mediums would be out of the question due to diffractive effects from the small chip size.

I'm not  even going to consider self mode locking, self q-switching,  regulatory, eye safety, mode spacing, and interferometric  effects.

Please don't cite long interferometers like LIGO etc as a counter argument, those are an entirely different hill of beans or beams, as they are not self lasing to begin with, and run in a vacuum.

If any one does not believe me, I'll point you to a link to free cavity modeling software, where you can add up to five optical elements and it solves the Jones matrices for stability.

Yeah, it would wink out with little power transfer if blocked completely, but until the beam is sufficiently blocked to have the losses exceed the gain in the system, something like a bare wrist or face might get burned by grazing incidence illumination.

A slight layer of dust on the intra-cavity optics will quickly stop lasing, and a fingerprint on any optic would be fatal to the process. No one is going to hand out USP or Spectroscopy grade acetone to clean the mirrors every five minutes.

NO, NO, and NO, and if it could work, the real time computing needed to track the mirrors would burn any power transfer to shreds.

For 13 Million Dollars I will "attempt" to  build you a working long distance laser cavity in a clean room for your Angel demo,  and then arrange to flee the country the next day..  :o

Steve
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:17:06 pm by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

The following users thanked this post: ConKbot, newbrain, kerouanton

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2017, 03:02:33 am »
So a dusty room with dusty air finger prints and vibrations and unknown position and unprotected eye balls would make it not work?

You just have to believe! Get out you wallet and with just a little more funding it will work. The carrot is so close but every time we take a step with VC money it's just out of reach. We can get the carrot before the cliff. Why? Because it just feels like a good idea!

This is becoming a thing: psudo Baseless technology that's too complex for investors to understand and too impractical for scientists to understand, eating up money then after the VC cow runs out of milk you just throw your hands up and say "Sorry. Can't. Tried. Oops. BTW remember that disclaimer you signed? Yea well you're not getting your money back. Sorry not sorry."
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 04:45:48 pm »
Great post LaserSteve, good to hear about real practicalities. :-+

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 05:10:58 pm »
Thanks for the insight, LaserSteve.

If any one does not believe me

I don't dispute anything you've said. Neither do I expect to see this laser project come to any kind of life in the near or middle distance. However, there are some points I'd like to note:

a few scientific and industrial lasers that "Auto-Align" and "Auto Peak"

I would imagine that the intent with these is somewhat different to this project. For instance, if you want to burn holes in something with a laser your design priorities, and feasibility studies, won't be the same as if you actively don't want to do that.

Further, obtaining peak output would be nice but isn't necessarily that important. It can be 'good enough' in the same way that, say, solar panels weren't awfully efficient but were good enough for the purpose. Imagine if not getting at least 90% of the suns footfall put the kibosh on panels when someone first came up with the idea. In the context of this project, would it really matter if it only managed (figure off the top of my head) 20% transfer? Some people might see the cost of that as reasonable for the feature, and it would likely get better with later iterations as copycat producers went to work.

it would try to start lasing with any nearby polished  metal object

Ah, that's great insight which I bet no-one involved in the project has considered :)

Did I mention that long lasers are ran on vibration dampers,

Indeed, but isn't that because you want control of how it happens? That is, you don't want a stuttering laser measuring stuff because it might be in an off trough just as you want to read off the measurement or whatever. For power transfer, you don't really care if it's on and off so long as it's on enough to do some transfer, whenever that is.

Perhaps looked at another way (and clearly hypothetical), if you kind of oscillated the mirror so the returning beams waved back and forth across the transmitter, so long as the beam was striking the mirror for long enough to get the laser going, wouldn't that be enough? It would be really very pants for normal laser purposes, but as the equivalent of wiping two bare wire ends against each other it would get some juice across.

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2017, 03:25:14 pm »
Thanks for the insight, LaserSteve.

If any one does not believe me

I don't dispute anything you've said. Neither do I expect to see this laser project come to any kind of life in the near or middle distance. However, there are some points I'd like to note:

a few scientific and industrial lasers that "Auto-Align" and "Auto Peak"

I would imagine that the intent with these is somewhat different to this project. For instance, if you want to burn holes in something with a laser your design priorities, and feasibility studies, won't be the same as if you actively don't want to do that.

Further, obtaining peak output would be nice but isn't necessarily that important. It can be 'good enough' in the same way that, say, solar panels weren't awfully efficient but were good enough for the purpose. Imagine if not getting at least 90% of the suns footfall put the kibosh on panels when someone first came up with the idea. In the context of this project, would it really matter if it only managed (figure off the top of my head) 20% transfer? Some people might see the cost of that as reasonable for the feature, and it would likely get better with later iterations as copycat producers went to work.

it would try to start lasing with any nearby polished  metal object

Ah, that's great insight which I bet no-one involved in the project has considered :)

Did I mention that long lasers are ran on vibration dampers,

Indeed, but isn't that because you want control of how it happens? That is, you don't want a stuttering laser measuring stuff because it might be in an off trough just as you want to read off the measurement or whatever. For power transfer, you don't really care if it's on and off so long as it's on enough to do some transfer, whenever that is.

Perhaps looked at another way (and clearly hypothetical), if you kind of oscillated the mirror so the returning beams waved back and forth across the transmitter, so long as the beam was striking the mirror for long enough to get the laser going, wouldn't that be enough? It would be really very pants for normal laser purposes, but as the equivalent of wiping two bare wire ends against each other it would get some juice across.
I think you are giving this company way too much credit. Its another plastic from thin air/ubeam/theranos edision/solar roadways/water seere. An idea that someone came up with everyone told them it wouldn't work but instead of listening they sunk their life savings into it and other people's money now they can't get out. They are just keeping it going as long as they can trying to save face for a few more years pay then the company goes out of business. The owners know its not going to work. Look at solar road ways: from the construction is obvious the CEO has just given up just making something to keep the investor money coming a few more months. There is no way in hell that guy didn't realize that parking lots and streets are full of cars during the day making even a 100% efficiency product unuseable. Plus we don't have glass that would work as a road, it just doesn't exist. No way in hell I would trust my safety to driving on glass in the rain no matter what bumps and groves it has in it. One day hopefully the SEC will pass a law that shuts down this shit before it gets out of hand and people get screwed. 

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2017, 04:24:12 pm »
I think you are giving this company way too much credit.

I don't, because I'm not expecting to see anything come of this. I am asking these questions to satisfy my own curiosity and understanding, and tidy up the loose ends in my mind. The entire idea might be complete rubbish, but normally there is still some (possibly unrelated) info nugget to be mined.

There is also the small point that dissing a project for an erroneous reason can lead to confusion and perpetuate it.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2018, 04:40:25 am »
They sent a demo kit to Linux Tech Tips:

Here's their latest patent: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20170373543A1/en?inventor=Ortal+Alpert

Maybe this one is a "see it to believe it" kind of deal? Or maybe a "last thing you'll ever see" type of affair? 8)

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2018, 04:51:56 pm »
No facebook account can't see it. I refuse to use face book and I have never been on twitter.

Is there a plugin that allows you to see facebook without having an account or do you just have to make a fake account and worry about it stealing your cookies? Facebook cares about your privacy.  :-DD

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2018, 05:01:14 pm »
I really don't see whats so hard about plugging your phone in or setting it on a mat for inductive charging. Is this that big of a problem that we need to spend millions of dollars and create countless companies to make our phone 0.00001% easier to use?

It's a case of inventing a problem to match your solution.

So funny I don't remember making this post but after I read it I went to click the "thank" button and realized it was my post. I guess I think like myself.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2018, 05:26:06 pm »
No facebook account can't see it. I refuse to use face book and I have never been on twitter.

There's another thread on this.

www.   youtube.com  /  watch?v=YeNXRD8eziA

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/wi-charge-infrared-wireless-charging/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:27:40 pm by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

The following users thanked this post: Beamin

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2018, 07:35:46 pm »
3 watts is safe? When I was younger I had a friend with a blue laser LED have no idea how powerful but it was like the one on cody's lab and he would burn anything that got in the beam for a second. A piece of paper with a black dot would burn the dot then start burning the edges. Black plastic would melt and smoke instantly. Maybe 1 watt? He said you couldn't buy it in the US and he got it out of something like a bluray, something common.

I know IR is longer but three watts? You won't blink for IR and that would be like having a laser scalpel hit your eyes for a split second. I could see little kids staring up at it to try and figure out what it was. Clearance from the FDA? I know the FDA is corrupt as hell but still. HOW IS THIS SAFE/LEGAL?

How would you trick the laser into staying on? or have reflective surfaces on your phone like glittery make up that fills my phone's edges. 

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 08:57:29 pm by BrianHG »

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2018, 09:00:21 pm »
They've gone in the wrong direction. X-rays, baby, yeah!

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2018, 12:40:26 am »
They've gone in the wrong direction. X-rays, baby, yeah!
Nah, go for the top, GAMMA rays.  Generated by a micro Kugelblitz black hole.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:45:00 am by BrianHG »

Offline David Chamberlain

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2018, 03:16:22 am »
More info :palm:

This is so cool! I thought <marquee> died years ago. I'm going to write all my posts like this from now on.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2018, 05:38:26 am »
More info :palm:

This is so cool! I thought <marquee> died years ago. I'm going to write all my posts like this from now on.

Then there's

GIANT TEXT

::) Now back to your normal thread...
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2018, 05:44:42 am »
3 watts is safe? When I was younger I had a friend with a blue laser LED have no idea how powerful but it was like the one on cody's lab and he would burn anything that got in the beam for a second. A piece of paper with a black dot would burn the dot then start burning the edges. Black plastic would melt and smoke instantly. Maybe 1 watt? He said you couldn't buy it in the US and he got it out of something like a bluray, something common.

See the other thread.
At absolute best it's 27% efficient, more likely well under 20%, so the "3W" unit must be at least a 15W laser.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2018, 05:45:53 am »

See the other thread.
At absolute best it's 27% efficient, more likely well under 20%, so the "3W" unit must be at least a 15W laser.

Would't that burn itself? It's plastic! (Isn't it?)
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf