Poll

How much WOULD you seriously consider offering for this MSOX3104T?

$13,000
0 (0%)
$12,000
0 (0%)
$11,000
0 (0%)
$10,000
2 (3%)
$9,000
4 (6%)
$8,000
1 (1.5%)
$7,000
5 (7.5%)
$6,000
10 (14.9%)
$5,000
9 (13.4%)
$4,000
10 (14.9%)
$3,000
7 (10.4%)
$2,500
1 (1.5%)
$2,000
1 (1.5%)
$1,500
1 (1.5%)
$1,000
8 (11.9%)
Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole
8 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: POLL: How much WOULD you pay? Re: FS: BRAND NEW Keysight(Agilent) MSOX3104T  (Read 8050 times)

Offline BrumbyTopic starter

• Supporter
SO ... someone has won themselves a Keysight scope and are now trying to sell it.  (See here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/fs-brand-new-keysight(agilent)-msox3104t-1ghz-mixed-signal-oscilloscope/ )

Asking $13,500 but open to negotiation.  That seems inevitable since it appears you can buy a new one from a dealer for around the same money.

Just curious to find out how much people might be prepared to seriously offer for such a scope.

did the seller ask you to create a poll?

I'm not sure what the real goal of this thread is...

No, the seller did not ask me to create this poll.  All too often, people think more highly of their gear than potential purchasers.  I was simply curious about the sort of money something like that might go for when presented to a relevant audience.

I did think that the seller might benefit from seeing the results, so that they had a more realistic idea of what to ask for - but that was not my objective.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:19:15 am by Brumby »

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
Jesus, they gave away something for $13k? Wow.

• Supporter

No, the seller did not ask me to create this poll.  All too often, people think more highly of their gear than potential purchasers.  I was simply curious about the sort of money something like that might go for when presented to a relevant audience.

I did think that the seller might benefit from seeing the results, so that they had a more realistic idea of what to ask for - but that was not my objective.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:10:26 am by Brumby »

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
2 guinea pigs.  :popcorn:

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
Keep in mind that the USA taxes would be ~4-5k on the winnings of this scope....  :palm:

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
I really think it depends on the person, someone who really needs the 1GHz bandwidth will be prepared to pay way more than your average hobbieist that is already very pleased with 250MHz.
A company will not buy it second hand, they want the tax deduction and investment write off in their books.

Offline station240

• Supporter
Even if it's still packed into it's original box, the buyer still has to wonder about:
1. What options are installed.
2. Does it work, especially if it's shipped by the seller.
3. Warranty and calibration.

I don't really have an opinion on what price I would buy for it, as it's not in my part of the world, and I'd have to justify the expense (eg figure out how to earn the money back).
Still should be interesting to see how many Hot Water Heaters it sells for*  :-DD

*Yes I know it's not that winner.

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
Well, at least he has documentation of ownership so a possible buyer wouldn't have to worry about purchasing stolen gear. The warranty status is easy, just look it up on Keysight's website by submitting the serial number of the scope. Still, finding someone willing to pay more than 50...60% of the MSRP would require a good amount of patience. And luck  :popcorn:

• Supporter
Seems to be some interest around a particular range....

Whether they are in the market for actually making such a purchase is another story.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
I think it's a difficult scope to sell. Most buyers that want a scope if the class of a DSOX3kT (upper entry-level) are looking into a lower bandwidth model (i.e. <500MHz), and are hardly prepared to pay a premium for the higher bandwidth. And users that need a 1GHz scope usually want somesthing a bit more sophisticated than a simple DSOX3kT with only 4MB memory.

I think the around $5k the poll suggests is pretty realistic in what most buyers would be prepared for pay for this scope, and probably reflects that this is still pretty much an entry-level scope. The RRP doesn't matter much, as it's rarely the price these scopes sell in reality anyways. He might be able to get $7k or so for it from someone who's really set on Keysight only, or maybe more if he just waits long enough (although the value of the scope drops pretty much every day it's sitting there).

Getting $10k very likely means a long wait for someone who really wants that particular scope and doesn't know or doesn't care that for that money there are other, more advanced alternatives.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 08:38:53 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Keep in mind that the USA taxes would be ~4-5k on the winnings of this scope....  :palm:

Only if you were silly enough to tell them.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
The company bought a refurbished scope for something like 55% of the original price. It did not had a single dent, and it was configured for the maximum of the hardware. Software decoding options were also 50% or so. And it had a warranty.
So make your own conclusion about the price.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
He might be able to get $7k or so for it from someone who's really set on Keysight only, or maybe more if he just waits long enough (although the value of the scope drops pretty much every day it's sitting there).
Getting $10k very likely means a long wait for someone who really wants that particular scope and doesn't know or doesn't care that for that money there are other, more advanced alternatives.

I'd whack it on ebay with a Buy It Now of $9999 and Make An Offer.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
My suggested price is $6k+tax (the seller must pay to IRS for getting this scope for free), ~10k is not a bad point.

It is because there's little chance that the scope will sell at $10k, and all it will do is sitting there with its value slowly deteriorating. Better sell now for a reasonable price than not selling for some dream figure only to have to sell *a lot* lower later on.

Trying to cash it at very low price does not make much sense for me, since for one who really needs it, $10k is not bad.

The problem is that coming from a private seller lowers the market value a lot because pretty much hardly business will touch it. Also, if you're in for a 1GHz scope then at $10k there are other (new) alternatives, even more so when you're not dead set on Keysight.

• Supporter
There's all this:

My suggested price is $6k+tax (the seller must pay to IRS for getting this scope for free), ~10k is not a bad point.

It is because there's little chance that the scope will sell at $10k, and all it will do is sitting there with its value slowly deteriorating. Better sell now for a reasonable price than not selling for some dream figure only to have to sell *a lot* lower later on.

Trying to cash it at very low price does not make much sense for me, since for one who really needs it, $10k is not bad.

The problem is that coming from a private seller lowers the market value a lot because pretty much hardly business will touch it. Also, if you're in for a 1GHz scope then at $10k there are other (new) alternatives, even more so when you're not dead set on Keysight.

and the fact that if the winner needs to sell it in order to pay the taxes, they have a very firm deadline.

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor

Only if you were silly enough to tell them.

It would be great if it was that easy. Any business that offers a prize worth 600$ or more must send the winner a 1099 tax form. Good luck avoiding that. Penalties on 5 grand are not fun.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 08:28:05 pm by iampoor »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
You gotta love the "Land of the free" that seem to have the most draconian tax system in the world. I mean, even gifts and prizes are taxed as income! and that double taxation if you work abroad and hold a US passport??  Crazy :-//

Now I'm not saying the EU or UK are fucking paragons of virtue where tax is concerned, but a capital item like this is only subject to tax on the final sale/disposal. We also have allowances where such tax doesn't even occur (£10k last time I checked).

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
You gotta love the "Land of the free" that seem to have the most draconian tax system in the world. I mean, even gifts and prizes are taxed as income! and that double taxation if you work abroad and hold a US passport??  Crazy :-//

Now I'm not saying the EU or UK are fucking paragons of virtue where tax is concerned, but a capital item like this is only subject to tax on the final sale/disposal. We also have allowances where such tax doesn't even occur (£10k last time I checked).

If you are an average worker, never win a large sweepstakes, never own a manufacturing company, not an accountant, and make the median income, you will never be exposed to the draconian nature of our tax system.

Sucks that that might describe the majority of our voting base.....

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor

If you are an average worker, never win a large sweepstakes, never own a manufacturing company, not an accountant, and make the median income, you will never be exposed to the draconian nature of our tax system.

That's something else that amuses me. I only know of USA culture from the TV programs and the internet, and reports from family & friends who have been. One thing that constantly baffles me is that everyone is "Oh, I have to do my taxes" and are filling in forms?? I mean it appears that EVERYONE has to do it?

Is there not a PAYE system (Pay as you earn) and so pretty much 90% of workers don't have to fill in forms? Now I DO have to fill in the bloody SA100 because I am not a worker drone or benefit sponger and I can see the reason for it with more unusual income streams. But that is an unusual situation.

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor

That's something else that amuses me. I only know of USA culture from the TV programs and the internet, and reports from family & friends who have been. One thing that constantly baffles me is that everyone is "Oh, I have to do my taxes" and are filling in forms?? I mean it appears that EVERYONE has to do it?

Is there not a PAYE system (Pay as you earn) and so pretty much 90% of workers don't have to fill in forms? Now I DO have to fill in the bloody SA100 because I am not a worker drone or benefit sponger and I can see the reason for it with more unusual income streams. But that is an unusual situation.

"Doing my taxes" is slang for "Filling out my tax return". Everyone (who isnt self employed) pays taxes based on income that is deducted from every check. Then at the end of the year, based on what tax bracket you fall into, and what tax deductions you can claim, you either receive a refund, or have to pay additional taxes.

If you are self employed or run a business then you make tax payments quarterly and then square up at the end of the year. This is a very oversimplified explanation of course, but hopefully gives you a good general idea. Maybe another reason to crack jokes about our government too.   >:D

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
i really need a 500Mhz to 1Ghz oscope but i dont have the money so i pay...letssee...hohum two imported coconuts...and ONE fresh pineapple?!

• Supporter
i really need a 500Mhz to 1Ghz oscope but i dont have the money so i pay...letssee...hohum two imported coconuts...and ONE fresh pineapple?!

What?  No bananas?!!

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Is there not a PAYE system (Pay as you earn) and so pretty much 90% of workers don't have to fill in forms?
Hmm, that is one reason to migrate to the UK. Filling in the tax forms (using a special piece of software) in the NL usually took me at least half a day. Since last year they come with most of the numbers already filled in so that does save a lot of time. Still there is a boat load of questions to work through due to all the possible deductions.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Is there not a PAYE system (Pay as you earn) and so pretty much 90% of workers don't have to fill in forms?
Hmm, that is one reason to migrate to the UK. Filling in the tax forms (using a special piece of software) in the NL usually took me at least half a day. Since last year they come with most of the numbers already filled in so that does save a lot of time. Still there is a boat load of questions to work through due to all the possible deductions.
Moving to the Netherlands would be also fine. You get 30% less tax for some years if you are working in a demanded job, like afaik engineer is. You pay less tax then here, and the way I see it real estate is 60% of the price here.
I found Dutch generally be nicer than Flemish, although louder.
I have no idea why I moved here. :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf