Author Topic: New here and a teardown question  (Read 1329 times)

Offline StonentTopic starter

• Super Contributor
New here and a teardown question
« on: December 31, 2012, 05:29:59 pm »
Lets see some background.  I grew up on the Archer/Science Fair/Radio Shack (Elenco) kits. I owned a 50 in 1, 60 in 1, and 200 in 1

As a kid, Radio Shack was my absolute favorite store. I remember you used to be a.ble to get Commodore keyboards there for cheap because I got one with my cousin to "play computer" with. Also loved the 20 assorted caps/leds/resistors for $1.99.

In or around 1984/1985 my dad picked up a TRS-80 MC-10 for $20 on clearance which was our first computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80_MC-10

As I got more into computers I played less with electronics, but still liked them.

For Christmas this year I was planning on getting a XX in 1 type kit but found them way too expensive and then though, how about an Arduino? Those are cheap and you can program them.  So I asked for one and got one. (Currently waiting on a component kit as well)

So hopefully that will spark my interest again after watching a lot of Dave's videos.

Now a question:

Did Dave ever tear down the magazine insert for the Martini / Dolce & Gabana ad sent to him by the Russian guy? I couldn't find it.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline justanothercanuck

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing retro repairs...
Re: New here and a teardown question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 08:53:28 pm »
Hi, I'm also fairly new here...  From what I've heard Arduinos are nice...  and it's funny you mention the TRS-80...  I'm actually taking the oldschool route and building a 80s-style microcomputer...

But to answer your question: I don't think he ever did a teardown on the Dolce Gabana video card.  It's probably not very special anyways, I imagine it contains a battery, a chip and the screen, and not much else. 

Cheers
Maintain your old electronics!  If you don't preserve it, it could be lost forever!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf