Author Topic: Forum getting too popular?  (Read 101480 times)

Offline Inflex

• Regular Contributor
    • Charters Towers Phone & Computer Repairs
Re: Forum getting too popular?
« Reply #200 on: February 11, 2017, 03:57:05 pm »
Well I have always advocated splitting the MCU section into different sections so that it's easier to browse topics that relate to the MCU you are using. For example, AVR freaks is one nasty place to post (Ive never had a question answered, instead they just try to fid put more about my project and pic holes in that), but comming on here you don't know if there are many AVR users.

As a side/OT note, the #avr IRC channel on freenode.net is quite good.
Magicsmoke abuser | What I repair daily on YouTube | FlexBV
- BoardView
| Paul Daniels

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #201 on: February 11, 2017, 04:00:37 pm »
Yes but the point is about this forum, making it and keeping it the best forum. I get good advice here on AVR's but if you have sections for the different MCU's it's clear to people that this is a place that has information on them.

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #202 on: February 11, 2017, 04:37:23 pm »
Yes but the point is about this forum, making it and keeping it the best forum. I get good advice here on AVR's but if you have sections for the different MCU's it's clear to people that this is a place that has information on them.

Simon, is Woolworths in Rushden still open, and "The Feathers" pub? What a dump. My friend used to go to Higham a lot to that motorbike shop opposite the car park. Also, is that crappy chippy still open in Finedon - the one just up from CO-OP - LOL. Poor food. Mind you, the one on the left hand side as you leave towards W'boro is nice - I think it's a red shop.

We used to circle Rushden for HOURS in the 90s in his car, chatting to girls, haha!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 04:42:45 pm by avrishuvorlaz »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #203 on: February 11, 2017, 07:02:00 pm »

Simon, is Woolworths in Rushden still open, and "The Feathers" pub? What a dump. My friend used to go to Higham a lot to that motorbike shop opposite the car park. Also, is that crappy chippy still open in Finedon - the one just up from CO-OP - LOL. Poor food. Mind you, the one on the left hand side as you leave towards W'boro is nice - I think it's a red shop.

We used to circle Rushden for HOURS in the 90s in his car, chatting to girls, haha!

Well I'm not sure how this is relevant to the topic but as you ask:

Woolworths as a national chain went bust over 6 years ago, the rushden one is now a costa coffe, after breifly being a cheap frozen food shop.
The feathers pub is still going, I have never set foot in it, I only go to pubs because it's the only place round here to go to spend time with friends in public but we avoid the highstreet and tour the country pubs.
Yes the motorbike shop is still there. I wouldn't know about the chippy in Finedon, I don't travel that far for my takeaways. I tend to do chinese anyway, fish and chips is universally garbadge unless your lucky enough to find a really good one. As i don't know finedon that well I don't know about the red shop on the way out to Wellingborough.

As for girls this place is a dump.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #204 on: February 11, 2017, 07:43:38 pm »
If considering adding more subsections, I did ponder about the "Repair" area, unsure if it was meant to be exclusively for equipment/vintage repairs (based on observation),  or inclusive of things like modern laptop/PC repairs too; that said, have posted in there to no ill-effect, so I'll consider it safe.
It is.
In short any and all repairs should go there.
The Repair board has only been there a couple of years and has proved very popular.
IMO it was needed to tidy up other boards and while some still can't get the idea this is repairs should be it's been working pretty well.
When Dave set it up he had a hunt for repair threads and dumped them there to get things started.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2017, 09:53:45 pm »

Woolworths as a national chain went bust over 6 years ago, the rushden one is now a costa coffe, after breifly being a cheap frozen food shop.
The feathers pub is still going, I have never set foot in it, I only go to pubs because it's the only place round here to go to spend time with friends in public but we avoid the highstreet and tour the country pubs.
Yes the motorbike shop is still there. I wouldn't know about the chippy in Finedon, I don't travel that far for my takeaways. I tend to do chinese anyway, fish and chips is universally garbadge unless your lucky enough to find a really good one. As i don't know finedon that well I don't know about the red shop on the way out to Wellingborough.

"As for girls this place is a dump."

I don't see how a place being a "dump" is relevant to the female population - I knew one DELIGHTFUL girl from Higham, she is a very lovely girl. Never mind, that's obviously been your experience, I shall have to go and have a look around soon, I am not far away, just next door to Burton :)

"fish and chips is universally garbadge unless your lucky enough to find a really good one."

Eh? Perhaps, as with the girls, you're maybe a tad too fussy... ? ;) :p

Hah! Have a nice weekend mate.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:56:33 pm by avrishuvorlaz »

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #206 on: February 12, 2017, 12:00:45 am »

Agreed.  Was dispelling the notion that newbies were at "fault" for the impressive post gains  :-+

Congratulations though none-the-less on the accelerated popularity of the forum, not that it wasn't before.

If considering adding more subsections, I did ponder about the "Repair" area, unsure if it was meant to be exclusively for equipment/vintage repairs (based on observation),  or inclusive of things like modern laptop/PC repairs too; that said, have posted in there to no ill-effect, so I'll consider it safe.

It's so much more fun to blame us noobs tho, after all we are the ones asking the stupid questions.   :palm:

;)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2017, 09:13:08 am »

I don't see how a place being a "dump" is relevant to the female population - I knew one DELIGHTFUL girl from Higham, she is a very lovely girl. Never mind, that's obviously been your experience, I shall have to go and have a look around soon, I am not far away, just next door to Burton :)

"fish and chips is universally garbadge unless your lucky enough to find a really good one."

So your i the UK now ? You location says Romania

Take away Fish and chips is invariably made up of soggy chips and fish that is burried in a thick oil saturated batter that turns the stomach. Go to a decent pub and you will get something edible.

Yea the female population along with the male one is not the brightest around here. Mind you that perspective is ofen driven by where you can afford to go out and the sort of people that you want to meet. The 90's was a long time ago you know, things change.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:43:10 am by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #208 on: February 12, 2017, 09:16:40 am »

Agreed.  Was dispelling the notion that newbies were at "fault" for the impressive post gains  :-+

Congratulations though none-the-less on the accelerated popularity of the forum, not that it wasn't before.

It's so much more fun to blame us noobs tho, after all we are the ones asking the stupid questions.   :palm:

;)

No self respecting forum member should deem a question stupid if it is genuine. Home work filling requests are stupid and we get our fair share of that now and then, doing someones homework for them does not teach them anything and cheats the rest of society into giving someone a grade they have not even bothered to work for. Yes I do post my assignment questions but I work on them first, try to find what I'm missing and ask about it and hope to learn from the answers, not just copy it out and get a pass.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #209 on: February 12, 2017, 09:26:53 am »

;)

No self respecting forum member should deem a question stupid if it is genuine. Home work filling requests are stupid and we get our fair share of that now and then, doing someones homework for them does not teach them anything and cheats the rest of society into giving someone a grade they have not even bothered to work for. Yes I do post my assignment questions but I work on them first, try to find what I'm missing and ask about it and hope to learn from the answers, not just copy it out and get a pass.

Ignore me Simon, I'm a sucker for self deprecating humor, I find it to be a good diffuser.  8)

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #210 on: February 12, 2017, 11:44:35 pm »

So your i the UK now ? You location says Romania

Take away Fish and chips is invariably made up of soggy chips and fish that is burried in a thick oil saturated batter that turns the stomach. Go to a decent pub and you will get something edible.

Yea the female population along with the male one is not the brightest around here. Mind you that perspective is ofen driven by where you can afford to go out and the sort of people that you want to meet. The 90's was a long time ago you know, things change.

I tend to fly back and forth, share my time between Romania and England. You should try "Barton Chippy" (the location kinda gives it away) very nice most of the time - very reasonable and VERY polite and generous portions, we have used them for years, really nice folks - I don't do pubs, can't think of anything more tedious & overpriced, not to mention... oh it doesn't matter, plus I can't think of anything more ghastly than being subjected to the babbling of locals and the establishment's choice of "music" whilst I eat my dinner - I prefer to eat meals in the luxury and quiet of our home, surrounded by people I CHOOSE to hear, hah! Stuck in my ways? Possible... maybe a little, aren't we all!

I can't see how ALL fish and chips could be summarised as being terrible, maybe you've just got a shockingly poor variety in/around HF. I similarly can't see how you could also bundle EVERYONE into the same category of "not the brightest" - I know what you mean about a few Northants folk, but then that's the same worldwide in all small town areas, but they're not ALL like that, and to write an entire area off, based on one's experience (possibly negative, it sounds) just sounds pretty judgemental and closed-minded, I hope you don't take offence, I just feel if you LOOK for the bad in people and bias yourself to a default mode of writing them off as "thick", you will not be disappointed with the results. Yes, I am aware of when the 1990s was, being born well before then, hah! :)

I was born into a very intellectual family, and moving here in the 80s was quite a shock - it's very easy for me too, to write people off as "not very bright" if I let myself, but I do not let myself - I just realise that I am blessed to live where I live, and with whom, and I see that not everyone is as intellectually stimulated 24 hours a day, and that "normal" people are what makes the world a down to earth, functional and good place to be - I cannot STAND the thought of being surrounded by possibly pretentious, supercilious faux "intellectual" know-it-alls, I am FAR more happy living in a place with decent, ordinary hard working people around me - they've nothing to hide and no "impressions" to make, which many people HAVE, which utterly repels and annoys me to no end.

Anyway, that's a lot to type, take it easy.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:53:14 pm by avrishuvorlaz »

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #211 on: February 13, 2017, 12:10:49 am »
Am I the only one that finds this whole fish and chips thing absolutely hilarious?

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #212 on: February 13, 2017, 12:27:37 am »
Am I the only one that finds this whole fish and chips thing absolutely hilarious?

Nope, but Aussie fish and chips are still better. :D

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #213 on: February 13, 2017, 12:28:41 am »

Highly improbable, seeing as they are a BRITISH DISH  :P

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #214 on: February 13, 2017, 12:30:58 am »

I am pleased our trivial interchange regarding fried foodstuffs is tickling your funny bone  ;D

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #215 on: February 13, 2017, 12:34:49 am »

Well pizza is of Italian origin and us Aussie's perfected those too. Come to Melbourne some time, food here is generally speaking the best in the country and the variety is exceptional. (I didn't grow up here and have lived in Sydney and Adelaide so I'm reasonably unbiased)

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #216 on: February 13, 2017, 12:46:26 am »

Well pizza is of Italian origin and us Aussie's perfected those too. Come to Melbourne some time, food here is generally speaking the best in the country and the variety is exceptional. (I didn't grow up here and have lived in Sydney and Adelaide so I'm reasonably unbiased)

Ah, well you've said it's the best in Australia - not the world - that's acceptible hubris, you are free to brag! :) An Australian saying Australian food is "The best in Australia" isn't saying much.

I am sure it's very nice, but for it to be BETTER than that found in the country of conception and origin is almost unheard of. An Ozzie telling an Italian that "Our pizza is better than pizza from Italy" would result in a HUGE belly laugh from the Italians, followed by nothing further and business as usual.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 12:48:55 am by avrishuvorlaz »

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2017, 01:04:00 am »

Ah, well you've said it's the best in Australia - not the world - that's acceptible hubris, you are free to brag! :) An Australian saying Australian food is "The best in Australia" isn't saying much.

I am sure it's very nice, but for it to be BETTER than that found in the country of conception and origin is almost unheard of. An Ozzie telling an Italian that "Our pizza is better than pizza from Italy" would result in a HUGE belly laugh from the Italians, followed by nothing further and business as usual.

Hey we are thoroughly multi-cultural over here, it's the Italians that moved out here and brought their awesome food with them that then made it better, same with the British and fish and chips.

Besides improving food from on a culture that thinks boiling everything is a good idea, isn't hard. :D

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #218 on: February 13, 2017, 01:11:04 am »

Hey we are thoroughly multi-cultural over here, it's the Italians that moved out here and brought their awesome food with them that then made it better, same with the British and fish and chips.

Besides improving food from on a culture that thinks boiling everything is a good idea, isn't hard. :D

"Hey we are thoroughly multi-cultural over here"

Yep, you're bragging that the cultures of OTHER countries makes Australia a good place to be, eh? Surely not doing your Australian comrades much of a service there, old chap. What about AUSTRALIAN dishes to be proud of - name some and tempt us. :P

Nothing like using a convenient cultural stereotype to fasttrack your making a fool of yourself, eh? Enjoy your Castlemaine XXXX and shrimps, see you at the kangaroo race. ;)

PS: We FRY fish and chips, we don't boil them - where do you get your "information" from?   :-//

Do you know the most interesting things I've learned about Australia, are about the Aborigine culture, not from the western slave descendants who were banished there (yes, I know you're not ALL descended from them.) All I see from Oz, which is my view as someone having never been there, is a country with a weird, awkward mix of British and American cultures, driving around in hideous Asian cars.

Ozzies seem to be trying to be something... although, I can't work out WHAT they aspire to be, overall, and with respect.

How's that for a stereotype! :P
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 01:22:48 am by avrishuvorlaz »

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #219 on: February 13, 2017, 02:17:38 am »
"Hey we are thoroughly multi-cultural over here"

Yep, you're bragging that the cultures of OTHER countries makes Australia a good place to be, eh? Surely not doing your Australian comrades much of a service there, old chap. What about AUSTRALIAN dishes to be proud of - name some and tempt us. :P

Dam right mate, Straya is the most well integrated multicutrual society on earth and that sir is a fact.  8)

Nothing like using a convenient cultural stereotype to fasttrack your making a fool of yourself, eh? Enjoy your Castlemaine XXXX and shrimps, see you at the kangaroo race. ;)

PS: We FRY fish and chips, we don't boil them - where do you get your "information" from?   :-//

Mate, more than half my family still lives in the UK, my wife and I have dual citizenship and Boiling things that shouldnt be boiled (eg veggies) is still a way of life in England in particular.

Obviously fish and chips are fried before being served however the english still think boiling the chips first is a good idea.

Do you know the most interesting things I've learned about Australia, are about the Aborigine culture, not from the western slave descendants who were banished there (yes, I know you're not ALL descended from them.) All I see from Oz, which is my view as someone having never been there, is a country with a weird, awkward mix of British and American cultures, driving around in hideous Asian cars.

Ozzies seem to be trying to be something... although, I can't work out WHAT they aspire to be, overall, and with respect.

How's that for a stereotype! :P

See we dont mind that the rest of the planet finds us confusing, cause frankly we dont care.    :=\

PS, we have one of the most diverse car markets on earth, from 'Merican to Euro to Japanese & Korean (even make our own for a little while longer).

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #220 on: February 13, 2017, 02:23:25 am »
C'mon guys ! Play nice in the sandbox .. FFS !! or ima come over there and show u the strap !
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #221 on: February 13, 2017, 02:54:54 am »
C'mon guys ! Play nice in the sandbox .. FFS !! or ima come over there and show u the strap !

is that a promise?   >:D

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #222 on: February 13, 2017, 03:02:08 am »
I'll let the thread re-rail itself, I have nothing more to say, what a complete comedy routine regarding stereotypes of nationalities. I am out of this, please... as you were.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: February 13, 2017, 03:38:18 am »
I love how you think our fish and chips are the best... Ill say I like chips, one of my favorite foods, but after I started making them myself from scratch (none of this frozen McCains rubbish), I have never once bought hot chips from anywhere since, I can't stand them. What we get from takeaways is absolute junk, prerolled in flour partially cooked and then frozen to have a final cook by the shop.

My EEVBlog DMM gets a good run each time I cook some chips as I use the thermal probe to monitor the temperature. The goal with chips is to drive the water out of the potato, water will not exceed 100C at room temp, and the oil wont get much hotter either until the water has been driven mostly off. Once it hits 120-130C they are pretty much done, take them and drain them, apply some salt to taste and you have your perfect chip. If you are like me or my wife and you like them real crunchy, wait a little longer till the temperature hits ~140C.

@djos - I am sorry but its simply true, and when I traveled to Europe a few years back I had store bought chips on a few occasions and found they are identical to what we have here, pre-cut pre-cooked chips rolled in flour then deep fried. The only difference was in what they considered tomato sauce.

Offline avrishuvorlaz

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #224 on: February 13, 2017, 03:46:03 am »
I love how you think our fish and chips are the best... Ill say I like chips, one of my favorite foods, but after I started making them myself from scratch (none of this frozen McCains rubbish), I have never once bought hot chips from anywhere since, I can't stand them. What we get from takeaways is absolute junk, prerolled in flour partially cooked and then frozen to have a final cook by the shop.

My EEVBlog DMM gets a good run each time I cook some chips as I use the thermal probe to monitor the temperature. The goal with chips is to drive the water out of the potato, water will not exceed 100C at room temp, and the oil wont get much hotter either until the water has been driven mostly off. Once it hits 120-130C they are pretty much done, take them and drain them, apply some salt to taste and you have your perfect chip. If you are like me or my wife and you like them real crunchy, wait a little longer till the temperature hits ~140C.

@djos - I am sorry but its simply true, and when I traveled to Europe a few years back I had store bought chips on a few occasions and found they are identical to what we have here, pre-cut pre-cooked chips rolled in flour then deep fried. The only difference was in what they considered tomato sauce.

Define what you mean by "Europe" - it's a collective, not one country. Current members:

Alphabetical list of countries in Europe
A
Albania
Andorra
Armenia
Austria
Azerbaijan
B
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bulgaria