Author Topic: exploding capacitor rifle  (Read 10329 times)

Offline krayvonkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
exploding capacitor rifle
« on: July 10, 2019, 09:11:28 pm »
Do you think you could use an exploding capacitor as a primer for the ammunition of an electric gun?

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: exploding capacitor rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 09:15:50 pm »
Don't be silly.
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: InductorbackEMF, krayvonk

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:22:51 pm »
If you were doing research on the most impractical and inefficient ways to make a gas generator, sure. The amount of energy released by a venting capacitor just isn't very much.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 09:38:00 pm »
You'd have a better time using a capacitor to heat a small coil that will ignite the powder (see car cig lighter).
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 09:42:35 pm »
If you were doing research on the most impractical and inefficient ways to make a gas generator, sure. The amount of energy released by a venting capacitor just isn't very much.

Thats when they go off safely,  I mean purpose building the capacitor to go off disasterously on purpose.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 09:43:43 pm »
Don't be silly.
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: amyk, ludzinc, Ampera, floobydust, InductorbackEMF, krayvonk

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 09:47:10 pm »

Thats when they go off safely,  I mean purpose building the capacitor to go off disasterously on purpose.
Nah the energy required is too great.
BTW Remington did electric cartridge ignition decades ago and it was a flop.

Sure trigger lock times were great but that's about all.
https://www.forgottenweapons.com/remington-etronx-electrically-primed-ammunition-video/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:02:58 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ HQ cannot be shared.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 10:18:50 pm »
To get the full 4000 or so watts you need a pretty big battery,   but I was thinking thats what your big ghost busters pack was for,   you know because it is a "future gun" maybe it suits running around with a big heavy battery pack on.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 10:27:36 pm »
To get the full 4000 or so watts you need a pretty big battery,   but I was thinking thats what your big ghost busters pack was for,   you know because it is a "future gun" maybe it suits running around with a big heavy battery pack on.
Why ?  :-//
Remington did this with a 9V battery and today could possibly with a tiny CR3032 or Li rechargeable.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gear/reviews/a211/1277311/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 10:31:59 pm »
Yeh but they still use explosive,   if you do it with a capacitor its just an out of control electric field.   ^-^

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 10:40:14 pm »
Yeh but they still use explosive,   if you do it with a capacitor its just an out of control electric field.   ^-^
Because there's no better propellent !

Can I ask how much shooting and/or cartridge reloading experience you have ?
While there may be alternative ways to send a projectile down a barrel currently there are none as repeatable as the modern smokeless powder. Period !

That we can consistently make reloads with less than 5fps variation @ 3000fps is testament to modern reloading techniques and components. Unless you can match this forget about it.

Warning: this is a very deep rabbit hole you're peering into.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 10:56:09 pm »
Well considering Australia bans guns completely,  and u yanks learn how to shoot b4 your 10 years old as I imagine im a little outclassed in this area.  <edit> sorry ur a newzealander, just noticed <edit>

But next time you say "watch out buddy or ill buss a cap in yo ass" you can actually do it with a cap!  :)

A good thing is if it takes 4000 watts to set off a round,  the ammunition is alot safer.   And u only have to raid an old tv 2 get your ammo.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:59:56 pm by krayvonk »

The following users thanked this post: BillyD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 11:00:33 pm »
Well considering Australia bans guns completely,  and u yanks learn how to shoot b4 your 10 years old as I imagine im a little outclassed in this area.  <edit> sorry ur a newzealander, just noticed <edit>

But next time you say "watch out buddy or ill buss a cap in yo ass" you can actually do it with a cap!  :)

A good thing is if it takes 4000 watts to set off a round,  the ammunition is alot safer.
Ammo is already safe unless you put in a fire, your cap propelled cartridge will be no different.
It's always; the nut behind the (rifle) butt !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 11:02:00 pm »
Capacitors dont explode in fires,  they only blow up with too much electricity.   >:D

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 11:09:05 pm »
Why ?  :-//
Remington did this with a 9V battery and today could possibly with a tiny CR3032 or Li rechargeable.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gear/reviews/a211/1277311/

I'm fond of the 700 series. 

OP,  I think my gas grill starter puts out 20KW or so.  Say 10KV at 2A.  I would need to look up the data I collected on it.   Of course the event is only a few ns long.  You really should learn some basic terms.   What you want is energy. 

If the part has copper leads, and if you can get that copper to vaporize...  Really, no point in a capacitor, just use some copper and be done with it.   Then again, PhotonicInduction has made several video with his large capacitors.   I suggest you check out his channel.   For a scaled down experiment that may provide you with some idea about the expansion of copper:

The following users thanked this post: krayvonk

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 11:17:30 pm »
Me too, I have a couple.

To be clear, they're both using traditional percussion primer ignition.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:21:26 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: krayvonk

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 11:17:57 pm »
Haha that was amazing!

I dont know how that technique scales with power,  but I wasnt planning on anything more than what you just showed me,   thanks alot.

Id love to see that thing go into product,  fuse ammo!  :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:19:30 pm by krayvonk »

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 11:26:42 pm »
Me too, I have a couple.
Same.

I have always heard that all guns were outlawed in your country and you just poison everything?  Are you allowed certain guns, like a bolt action rifle? Do you have to be a rancher or something?  Can they only be used for target?   What's the real story?     PM if you want it out of the main forum.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 11:31:52 pm »
You need a police issued firearms license.
Only certain classes of firearm can be licensed.
For instance, fully automatic firearms are banned.
They can be used for just about anything except shooting humans… Targets, pests, venison back steaks, etc…
Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 11:36:51 pm »
Interesting. 

Are you allowed to own one if you reside in a large city?   Do you have different licenses depending on if you carry one for personal protection or hunting?  Are the laws the same across the entire country?

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 11:42:34 pm »
Yes, you can own a firearm if you live in a city. You are just not allowed to discharge it in a built up area.
Yes, there are different classes of license. AFAIK a small arms (pistol) license is completely different and a lot more difficult to obtain.
Generally hunting and target shooting only.
Personal protection would infer shooting humans which will get you 20 years in Her Majestys Holiday Camp.
The laws are the same across the entire country.
Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 11:43:19 pm »
You need a police issued firearms license.
Only certain classes of firearm can be licensed.
For instance, fully automatic firearms are banned.
They can be used for just about anything except shooting humans… Targets, pests, venison back steaks, etc…
As they always have been in NZ.
Recently some semiauto's have been banned too by a Gubbermint that hasn't participated in any worthwhile public consultation and ridden roughshod over law obeying firearms owners rights.

That some classes of sporting firearms have also fallen into some classification that was directed at military style semis confirms their knee jerk incompetence in dealing with what was a tragic massacre of innocent ppls when the licensing and the system was really to blame.
As always, it's the nut behind the butt.

"A government that does not trust it's law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust." -- Jeffrey R. Snyder, 'A Nation Of Cowards'
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:48:53 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 11:45:07 pm »
Haha that was amazing!

I dont know how that technique scales with power,  but I wasnt planning on anything more than what you just showed me,   thanks alot.

Id love to see that thing go into product,  fuse ammo!  :)

Again, its not power (Watts) but energy (Joules).  This may seem like a fairly innocent and safe experiment, but the generator I am using to put out the transient is actually quite dangerous.  It's not PhotonicInduction big cap, blowing off body parts  dangerous, but I am sure it could end ones life if you were to take a jolt across the chest with it.   

(BTW, I corrected the value for R and added C in that last LED experiment.  If it wasn't clear how it was wired, let me know and I will add a sketch) 

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 12:04:42 am »
Me too, I have a couple.
Same.

I have always heard that all guns were outlawed in your country and you just poison everything?  Are you allowed certain guns, like a bolt action rifle? Do you have to be a rancher or something?  Can they only be used for target?   What's the real story?     PM if you want it out of the main forum.

Im not the type to own a gun really, and not to one to ask, but in australia from my perspective im sure theres plenty of people with them, despite whats said out loud on the news and in parliament, and there is ammo stores and such.  And ur right about the water, it is absolute shithouse I just live on fruit juice instead, its more fun anyway.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 12:11:22 am »
We are a country of complex laws and that change depending where you are.  It's up to you as a owner to understand these laws. 

Are there age restrictions to own and purchase?  Does it depend on the type of gun, caliber?   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf