Author Topic: Elon Musk is a nice chap  (Read 159051 times)

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
Re: Elon Musk is a nice chap
« Reply #500 on: November 03, 2022, 11:09:11 pm »
Plenty of doctors and scientists were censored for having an opinion which countered that of the authorities.

Not sure how they were censored. I mean, twitter doesn't count because thats not a government controlled source - its a private company.  Also, from what I saw, the only "scientists" (quotes, because, well, there are plenty of medical doctors who aren't scientists, and scientists who aren't medical doctors, and those who will happily distort science to suit their needs) who were censored in some way - was because they were promoting ideas or theories that were both unproven and could make current efforts to handle the pandemic harder.  Can you provide an example?

The pandemic showed us just how social media can be flooded with any kind of idea with little in the way of quality control.

Why is misinformation pushed by the authorities any better than, that spouted by some quack on twitter? The only difference is the former was accepted, yet the latter censored.

Because there is true accountability then. Official sources can of course be incorrect, and often was - hindsight is 20/20 - and we can hold them to account for their mistakes. 
But having seemingly credible people (Doctors, Scientists, Weathly loons who consider themselves somewhat of a scientist/engineer) promote clearly incorrect and dangerous ideas on their wildly followed twitter accounts has real world consequences.  Sure you could argue that those foolish enough to believe their crap about Hydroxychloroquine or Ivermectin are putting themselves in danger - but with the pandemic, peoples actions put other people in danger.

The following users thanked this post: tom66

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #501 on: November 03, 2022, 11:16:11 pm »
Why is misinformation pushed by the authorities any better than, that spouted by some quack on twitter? The only difference is the former was accepted, yet the latter censored.
Because there is true accountability then. Official sources can of course be incorrect, and often was - hindsight is 20/20 - and we can hold them to account for their mistakes. 
What accountability is there ever for the people in power who BS the public? We are lucky if they are even pushed aside, so they won't create more havoc. You sound truly delusional.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #502 on: November 03, 2022, 11:58:03 pm »
Elon memes are overflowing tweeter

Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #503 on: November 04, 2022, 12:01:50 am »
Elon memes are overflowing tweeter

He's like Chickenman. (He's everywhere!)
iratus parum formica

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #504 on: November 04, 2022, 07:51:28 am »
Plenty of doctors and scientists were censored for having an opinion which countered that of the authorities.

Not sure how they were censored. I mean, twitter doesn't count because thats not a government controlled source - its a private company.  Also, from what I saw, the only "scientists" (quotes, because, well, there are plenty of medical doctors who aren't scientists, and scientists who aren't medical doctors, and those who will happily distort science to suit their needs) who were censored in some way - was because they were promoting ideas or theories that were both unproven and could make current efforts to handle the pandemic harder.  Can you provide an example?

The pandemic showed us just how social media can be flooded with any kind of idea with little in the way of quality control.
Twitter does count, because the government forced them to censor content which they didn't like. Good quality, peer reviewed articles, in prestigious medical journals were deemed to be misinformation by journalists, "fact checked" and censored.

What accountability is there ever for the people in power who BS the public? We are lucky if they are even pushed aside, so they won't create more havoc. You sound truly delusional.
That's true. There hasn't even been an admission of wrongdoing, let alone true accountability.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #505 on: November 04, 2022, 06:38:28 pm »

Twitter does count, because the government forced them to censor content which they didn't like. Good quality, peer reviewed articles, in prestigious medical journals were deemed to be misinformation by journalists, "fact checked" and censored.

And, conversely, some fraudulent articles that were pushed heavily by governments when those fitted their narratives with zero excuses when said articles were later proven to be 100% fraudulent.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #506 on: November 04, 2022, 07:38:38 pm »
Today more were fired, most inmediately started posting videos and pictures crying, "Can't believe this is happening to ME!"
Good reason to get fired, this sheetty "Run to social media and complain for everything" must stop. Goodbye woketards  :clap:
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #507 on: November 04, 2022, 07:45:22 pm »
Hopefully, after he fixes Twitter, the next thing Elon buys is Facebook/Meta.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #508 on: November 04, 2022, 07:56:37 pm »
Hopefully, after he fixes destroys Twitter, the next thing Elon buys destroys is Facebook/Meta.

Fixed that for ya...

"That's not even wrong" -- Wolfgang Pauli

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #509 on: November 04, 2022, 08:09:09 pm »

Can you provide a link?  I know there were many studies that came out over the past two years linked to the pandemic, but I'm not sure I've seen a decent one, in a decent journal that was completely wrong. There have been many trash studies - and even completely fabricated ones, just look at retractionwatch.  But I'm asking specifically for studies that were flagged as misinformation by the government. I'm not talking about censorship from journalists as they are not experts and aren't the best primary source.

OK, so perhaps the last 10 years, in UK politics at least, people are less inclined to hold officials to account - which is why we had the primeminister we did - and people voted for them so clearly don't want to hold them responsible.  But eventually, their misdeeds accumulate and become intolerable. Ultimately, the public can hold them to account with their vote.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #510 on: November 04, 2022, 08:12:50 pm »
OK, so perhaps the last 10 years, in UK politics at least, people are less inclined to hold officials to account - which is why we had the primeminister we did - and people voted for them so clearly don't want to hold them responsible.  But eventually, their misdeeds accumulate and become intolerable. Ultimately, the public can hold them to account with their vote.
You sound more delusional each time you post. Voting murderers out of office is not holding them accountable. Long prison terms is.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #511 on: November 04, 2022, 08:23:37 pm »
Probably too much to ask for. I can still hope.

Hopefully, after he fixes destroys Twitter, the next thing Elon buys destroys is Facebook/Meta.

Fixed that for ya...

The following users thanked this post: magic

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #512 on: November 04, 2022, 08:29:22 pm »
You sound more delusional each time you post. Voting murderers out of office is not holding them accountable. Long prison terms is.
Yeah, 'political accountability' is a misnomer. Even if they are out of position to be directly voted in, they will take some public institution position which needs no voting.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #513 on: November 04, 2022, 09:40:24 pm »
Just in time to let Trump come back, he's making noise again...
I guess 2024 will be the last one  :palm:

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #514 on: November 04, 2022, 09:41:20 pm »
Voting murderers out of office is not holding them accountable. Long prison terms is

You can't really elect someone to take charge and then criminalise them when they do so. There is a huge hurdle to cross, not least that they tend to still be in charge when they are taken to task. When it comes to the pandemic, it would be easy to suggest that they were following what they thought was appropriate practice - there were enough contrary views that they could pick and choose. Plus you have to weigh in everything else besides the pandemic that they have to deal with. The lock-down situation would be a good example: there is some thought that it should have occurred sooner, but against that is the downside of killing off the hospitality industry.

All they need to argue is that whatever they did they believed was in the best interest of the country. Easy bar to jump. The best you can hope for, realistically, is that they get barred from holding future office.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #515 on: November 04, 2022, 09:51:06 pm »
All they need to argue is that whatever they did they believed was in the best interest of the country. Easy bar to jump. The best you can hope for, realistically, is that they get barred from holding future office.
I guess someone like Andrew Cuomo could claim that purposefully infecting people in care homes, and killing large numbers, was in the best interests of the country. It cuts the future tax bills.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #516 on: November 04, 2022, 11:01:06 pm »
 :-DD

The peeps that wanted everyone to have passes to be able to go anywhere have had their own passes turned off and now can't enter the Twitter building.
iratus parum formica

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #517 on: November 04, 2022, 11:04:27 pm »
No doubt he could argue that there were other things going on and a balance to be struck. It's easy to focus on one thing in isolation, but at the government level there is stuff happening all the time, whether you're looking or not.

I am not saying that he (or anyone) is blameless. I am pointing out that bringing them to task isn't simple or easy. Blimey, look at Trump - if ever there was a cut and dried, dead to rights case, it would be him. And yet...

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #518 on: November 04, 2022, 11:07:07 pm »
Looks like Elon is determined to tailspin Twitter into the ground, this'll be amusing to watch.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #519 on: November 04, 2022, 11:08:22 pm »
Looks like Elon is determined to tailspin Twitter into the ground, this'll be amusing to watch.

Elon's not the only one. That's what makes it so funny.
iratus parum formica

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #520 on: November 05, 2022, 02:27:16 am »

I do suspect this is going to happen. I personally never saw any real value in Twitter, but you can't just march in and fire half the company and make sweeping changes without completely destroying the company culture. I read they were planning to revoke remote work privileges which has quickly become a pretty standard perk in the tech industry and all this is going to result in a lot of people quitting, at least once the economy picks back up. Frankly I don't see what they are going to be able to offer that will entice people to choose to work for that company over all the other various tech companies. Maybe his thought is that the product is mature and they can just go into maintenance mode  and ride it out until the wheels fall off.

The following users thanked this post: tom66

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #521 on: November 05, 2022, 03:11:58 am »

I do suspect this is going to happen. I personally never saw any real value in Twitter, but you can't just march in and fire half the company and make sweeping changes without completely destroying the company culture. I read they were planning to revoke remote work privileges which has quickly become a pretty standard perk in the tech industry and all this is going to result in a lot of people quitting, at least once the economy picks back up. Frankly I don't see what they are going to be able to offer that will entice people to choose to work for that company over all the other various tech companies. Maybe his thought is that the product is mature and they can just go into maintenance mode  and ride it out until the wheels fall off.

The interesting takeaway is the only significant stake holder remaining, aside from Musk, is Jack. It's him that wants Twitter 2.0. That means decentralizing the whole thing like he's wishing he'd done in the first place. Coding up that will take some effort, but the existing staff and surrounding folks apparently never bothered to update their CV, so they unlikely to get considered. (That's why they're whining)

So yes, technically, Twitter as you know it is going away. And we all will have learnt why it must never be allowed to happen ever again.  :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 03:16:51 am by Ed.Kloonk »
iratus parum formica

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #522 on: November 05, 2022, 04:25:02 am »
Lefti Jimmy Dore bothered to dig a little bit into Musks background and found all sorts of ugly things, like all Musks companies are gov subsidized, CIA via its InQTell finance and speculates
in Musks companies, Musk participated in "Bolivia coup de etat",  Musk supports Ukraine Azov nazis with Starlink, who is financed by pentagon, Musk now sued for his monkey brain chip,
all monkeis died under extreme suffering and on and on. Thats the surface dig a bit deeper and he's all in on New World Order just as is granddad was as master priest for the Technocracy
sect in 1932. https://www.technocracy.news/shock-elon-musks-grandfather-was-head-of-canadas-technocracy-movement/

https://nypost.com/2022/02/10/elon-musks-neuralink-allegedly-subjected-monkeys-to-extreme-suffering/

Other say only reason  Musk bought twatter was to be able to write off 400M USD in losses in various companies! Dont know how US tax laws work but it sounds plausible.
https://nypost.com/2022/11/04/elon-musk-slashing-jobs-at-twitter-to-avoid-700m-loss-next-year-sources/
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 04:28:51 am by MT »

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #523 on: November 05, 2022, 04:32:49 am »
Yeah. I think we have more serious stuff going on at the moment. Just saying. :-DD

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #524 on: November 05, 2022, 04:49:52 am »

Other say only reason  Musk bought twatter was to be able to write off 400M USD in losses in various companies! Dont know how US tax laws work but it sounds plausible.
https://nypost.com/2022/11/04/elon-musk-slashing-jobs-at-twitter-to-avoid-700m-loss-next-year-sources/

Show me one billionaire or even budding billionaire tied to the US monetary system who doesn't tax-write-off their debt. "But it's OK when we do it!"
iratus parum formica

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf