Author Topic: Digi-Key has changed and it is not very good  (Read 69557 times)

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
Re: Digi-Key has changed and it is not very good
« Reply #375 on: October 16, 2022, 03:48:39 pm »
Well, Digi-Key is still the first place I look, but I do check a number of other distributors either when D-K doesn't have stock or I don't like the price.
It seems D-K is getting better than this spring, I don't know whether that has to do with more staff returning from Covid issues, or just parts being more available.  I have had to scramble to get various ICs for things I manufacture, and go to Shenzhen brokers for certain ICs, but D-K seems to now have stock on mundane parts.  Back in the spring, they were out of small screws, washers, heat sink pads and an amazing variety of mundane NON-semiconductor parts.
Jon

Offline St66666

• Contributor
« Reply #376 on: October 16, 2022, 06:56:38 pm »
So, a guest ordering 4 pieces could be a manufacturer...  :palm:
Well, what we don’t know is whether that order would actually get filled. I suspect it’d get canceled.

Other repair shops I know could put that part in the cart. I could not even do that. The web site blocks that feature on the page for me. If I log out as a guest I see that web page as it should be.
I have the parts coming from UK, so it is not about not able to source it.
Actually for 5$ I can buy 50 pieces from China.

I'm just trying to understand why are they doing that specifically to me.
I always paid with a credit card and never owed them anything.
Never talked to them before and only used the live chat when I was looking for parts.
Even that explanation that it is reserved for a manufacturer is lame.
I don't believe it , but I will leave it as is.
If you leave it for the manufacturing sector put the ordering limit to a few hundred or thousand pieces and don't allow to order 4.
Could this be the beginning of the social credit system?

Offline St66666

• Contributor
« Reply #377 on: October 16, 2022, 07:08:34 pm »
If you think that politics can't filter down to business just look at their statement here:

https://www.digikey.com/en/help/privacy

I think I start to understand if I look at this line :

Information that we obtain from third party sources

Our website may contain links to third party websites, embedded content that comes from or relates to third party websites and services, and buttons from third party websites and services (such as social media sharing buttons). From time to time, we may receive personal information about you from third party sources.

interesting ....

Not agreeing with the narrative gets you in trouble....

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #378 on: October 16, 2022, 07:23:36 pm »
You are paranoid and overthinking this. Just go to any other supplier.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, tooki

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #379 on: October 16, 2022, 07:54:24 pm »
So, a guest ordering 4 pieces could be a manufacturer...  :palm:
Well, what we don’t know is whether that order would actually get filled. I suspect it’d get canceled.

Other repair shops I know could put that part in the cart. I could not even do that. The web site blocks that feature on the page for me. If I log out as a guest I see that web page as it should be.
Yeah, everyone here understands that. What I posited is a different question. We don’t know whether they’d actually FILL the order. If they’re actually refusing to sell it to non-manufacturers, then they may well cancel the order once it goes for review.

I'm just trying to understand why are they doing that specifically to me.
I always paid with a credit card and never owed them anything.
Never talked to them before and only used the live chat when I was looking for parts.
Even that explanation that it is reserved for a manufacturer is lame.
I don't believe it , but I will leave it as is.
If you leave it for the manufacturing sector put the ordering limit to a few hundred or thousand pieces and don't allow to order 4.
Could this be the beginning of the social credit system?
Oh FFS. You need to lay off the psychedelics.

Offline St66666

• Contributor
« Reply #380 on: October 16, 2022, 07:57:14 pm »
You are paranoid and overthinking this. Just go to any other supplier.

I did. The parts are irrelevant.
Why am I treated differently is the question.

Offline St66666

• Contributor
« Reply #381 on: October 16, 2022, 09:59:06 pm »
Oh FFS. You need to lay off the psychedelics.

Yeah right, because during the last 2 years everything went perfect. In my country people got their bank accounts frozen for speaking up against the establishment.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #382 on: October 16, 2022, 10:05:56 pm »
In my country people got their bank accounts frozen for speaking up against the establishment.
I really doubt it. But this is not the forum to discuss conspiracy theories.
Alex

Offline St66666

• Contributor
« Reply #383 on: October 16, 2022, 10:45:41 pm »
In my country people got their bank accounts frozen for speaking up against the establishment.

What conspiracy? If you are not familiar with what is going on in the world just don't say anything.
Here is from the Canadian government bringing in the emergency act because of the protests.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Zeyneb, Zoli

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #384 on: October 16, 2022, 11:02:31 pm »
You got to be really blind to the world if you think this is a conspiracy theory...  :palm:
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: StillTrying, St66666

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #385 on: October 16, 2022, 11:13:46 pm »
You don't "speak up" by blatantly violating the law and disrupting the lives of everyone around. I'm with the government on this one.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline St66666

• Contributor
« Reply #386 on: October 16, 2022, 11:32:02 pm »
You don't "speak up" by blatantly violating the law and disrupting the lives of everyone around. I'm with the government on this one.

I see. So, there is no such a thing as a right to protest when you are treated unfairly.
We will never agree on this. But I understand if you base your opinion on the information from the main stream media and refuse to listen to the other side. I just hope you don't get to a similar situation. Then you would understand perhaps.
Enough politics.
I still need to go and cancel my PayPal account so I don't get charged the 2500$.
Look that up!  ;)

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #387 on: October 16, 2022, 11:34:05 pm »
I see. So, there is no such a thing as a right to protest when you are treated unfairly.
Protest all you want, just don't block public roads.

I still need to go and cancel my PayPal account so I don't get charged the 2500$.
Look that up!  ;)
They already said that they won't do this. Also, they are a private company and free to charge whatever they want as long as you agreed to their terms of service.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #388 on: October 16, 2022, 11:53:42 pm »
Protest all you want, just don't block public roads.

Look that up!  ;)
They already said that they won't do this. Also, they are a private company and free to charge whatever they want as long as you agreed to their terms of service.
Don't tell me that you support Putin too; because what you said here, it sounds like.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #389 on: October 17, 2022, 12:01:24 am »
No, I don't support Putin and I don't see how one follows from the other. But that't really offtopic and I will stop responding here.
Alex

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #390 on: October 17, 2022, 12:13:14 am »
No, I don't support Putin and I don't see how one follows from the other. But that't really offtopic and I will stop responding here.
Then learn what civic unrest means, and how to properly handle.

The following users thanked this post: St66666

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #391 on: October 17, 2022, 12:22:50 am »
You have no clue what you are talking about.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Zoli, St66666

Offline TheNewLab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #392 on: October 17, 2022, 12:52:44 am »
response to Off topic
Freezing bank accounts is not so uncommon in certain other nations. Weather the bank just does not have the funds, or fear runs on their banks. It happens and has happened repeatedly in the USA until the FDIC was established guaranteeing up to $100K was protected, now $200K.

On topic:

This really sucks about Digi-key. I have an open account with them, and now my small buss, will have to remove DK from our supplier list

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #393 on: October 17, 2022, 12:53:17 am »
Please quit the politics and stick to the topic.
Any more political posts and they will be deleted.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Fgrir, SiliconWizard, Zoli, St66666

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #394 on: October 17, 2022, 12:58:27 am »
They were various semiconductors in the past what I remember I was not able to put in the cart. It probably started one or 2 years ago.
I was not paying much attention to it and ordered it elsewhere, but lately it is more and more.
Yesterday it was a SMCJ22A diode.
I could order it by creating another account, but later I received an email with this PO exception:

11-OCT-2022 21:24 A7N7 EMLD STEVE Gxxxxx TO ADVISE THAT THIS PART CANNOT BE SOLD TO HIS COMPANY CLASSIFICATION PER THE MFG. THIS PO WILL NOT BE PROCESSED

I'm in Canada and ordering from the Canadian web site. I was getting 90% of my needed parts from DigiKey the last 23 years.
Suddenly being discriminated against feels strangely familiar.

That's likely just some supply chain availability issue, it happens more these days.

You wants crazy, this happened to me at Farnell:
https://www.eevblog.com/2014/02/24/element-14-holding-orders-based-on-us-government-watch-list/

I've also been hit with restricted export agreements for component before, not uncommon for those outside the US. And I've heard reprots about Digikey orders being pulled because they goofed the stock number or something. It's nothing about you, it's whatever convoluted system someone in the chain has in place, or some mistake. Just try and buy it from someone else and move on.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 01:01:24 am by EEVblog »

Offline St66666

• Contributor
« Reply #395 on: October 17, 2022, 04:26:30 am »

I agree with you. Politics should not be here, but it should not be in the parts supply chain either.
If there are companies who bring politics in to their business it should be a fair game to point it out.
I am not in favor of some Chinese style social credit system.

I requested DK to reveal what personal information they collected about me. Will see ...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 04:42:09 am by St66666 »

Offline TheNewLab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #396 on: October 17, 2022, 04:38:07 am »
Agree with Dave and

I agree with you. Politics should not be here, but it should not be in the parts supply chain either.

However, I really want to joke about some of this, like solution:
https://www.eevblog.com/2014/02/24/element-14-holding-orders-based-on-us-government-watch-list/

A SOLUTION:
Due to PATRIOT ACT that person had an issue, so solution, include a video of you ordering included as an attachment to the order? or maybe a pic of your room?
or whatever... :-DD

Now for Dave, that's a really creepy guy! So you must mail your hour-long video with a copy of every online video you ever made to :
US Homeland Security
Dept of PATRIOT ACTors issu's
WTF post 999999999
Wahsing DC 98765-4321
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 04:43:06 am by TheNewLab »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #397 on: October 17, 2022, 05:33:44 am »
If there are companies who bring politics in to their business it should be a fair game to point it out.

Yes, but this has nothing to do with any "social credit system".
Digikey don't know nor care who you are are. You've just caught up in a supply chain availability issue like a bunch of people have reported in recent times.
We've even talked about it on the Amp Hour podcast this year how people have had their Digikey order magically cancelled or whatever.
If you are unhappy wiht Digikey just dump them and go to Mouser or Element14 or whoever.

Offline St66666

• Contributor
« Reply #398 on: October 17, 2022, 05:39:06 am »

Yes, but this has nothing to do with any "social credit system".
Digikey don't know nor care who you are are. You've just caught up in a supply chain availability issue like a bunch of people have reported in recent times.
We've even talked about it on the Amp Hour podcast this year how people have had their Digikey order magically cancelled or whatever.
If you are unhappy wiht Digikey just dump them and go to Mouser or Element14 or whoever.

I beg to differ. They have it in their privacy policy.
https://www.digikey.com/en/help/privacy

on that page you can find this:

Information that we obtain from third party sources

Our website may contain links to third party websites, embedded content that comes from or relates to third party websites and services, and buttons from third party websites and services (such as social media sharing buttons). From time to time, we may receive personal information about you from third party sources.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #399 on: October 17, 2022, 05:59:43 am »

Oh FFS, just delete your account and never buy from them again if it worries you that much.
That's a nothing-burger clause put in there for some niche requirement.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, edavid, tooki, james_s, E-Design

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf