Author Topic: Datasheet, Datashit.  (Read 10732 times)

Offline firewalkerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Datasheet, Datashit.
« on: May 24, 2011, 07:41:27 pm »
Today I wanted the datasheet of a usb controller ic that is used mainly in webcams. I found the company that produces it and the ic's specific page with it's characteristics. There was also a link with Product Datasheet with big bold letters and an Adobe Reared icon next to it. Great I said! "Click" on the Product Datasheet.

Wroooooooooong!!!

No Datasheet. Just a request form to fill with name, address telephone number, reason for requesting and some other things. I had some time to kill and I filled the form hoping for an automated immediate download.

Wroooooooooong!!!

A message popped saying that my request should be checked by the company first and send me the datasheet latter. WTF! After 3~4 hours they send an email. Nice I said once again the datasheet.

Wroooooooooong!!!

And I quote:

Dear Sir,

Can you let us know more detail about your project, so that we can help to select the right chips for you?
 - What is the application for your camera?
 - What is the targeted Operating System (OS)?
 - What is the sensor you are targeting to use? Resolution? Frame rate? and part number?
 - What kind of lens do you need?
 - Do you want to buy camera chips? Or buy finished camera modules with lens on it? (There are turnkey services available)
 - What is your project schedule? And volume forecast?

Thanks.

WTF guys! I requested a single/simple datasheet! Please remove the Product Datasheet sign and keep your DataSHIT.

Alexander.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:53:52 am by firewalker »
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
Re: Datasheet, Datashit.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 07:45:52 pm »
The only thing worse than this bullshit is companies that require a signed NDA before they'll send you a datasheet.

My opinion: just say no to these clueless companies.
"That's not even wrong" -- Wolfgang Pauli

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 07:53:57 pm »
I was fooled by the misleading and time consuming link for Product Datasheet!!!

Alexander.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:54:23 am by firewalker »

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:09:24 pm »
NDA don't get me started i am sure they violate my rights as a uk citizen
never had to agree to one for a datasheet though.

eecs guy

Offline bilko

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:33:06 pm »
Never fill any information requesting details unless it is the manufacturer. Hopefully these parasite companies will disappear.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 10:55:10 pm »
find the datasheet somewhere else like alldatasheet.com, datasheetarchive.com, datasheetcatalog.com. if you cannot find it, find another chip.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 06:05:05 am »
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline philbx1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:16:56 am »
I feel your pain.

I bought up the subject a while back and and some nice people
had great suggestions.
Unfortunately the subject went downhill due to a certain pedantic person.

In the end, a great initiative by Dave and Simon sorted it out by locking
the subject. A good move I thought.
Anyway, for reference only...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2778.0

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:03:17 pm by firewalker »

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 11:09:42 am »
If you're actually interested in the product, the best policy is to just reply with whatever answers thay are expecting - high volumes etc. Make up a potential product if necessary, and tell them you're a consultant/contract design house and can't give details of the end client yet due to client confidentiality, and for the same reason don't know about markets, production schedules etc. As regards NDAs, a few 'errors' in things like name, address etc. easily render them meaningless.
Although it's a PITA, it also doesn't make sense to just look elsewhere as you may be missing out on something useful.
Think of it as a first-level timewaster filter and play along to get what you want regardless of their dumb policies.
Just tell them what they want to hear - you can always tell them things didn't work out later if they follow up with volume sales enquiries.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline bilko

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 11:25:30 am »
Farnell and Digikey have a lot of online datasheets as do a lot of other suppliers, if its an obsolete component then why do these companies want to know about volumes e.t.c. ?

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 11:48:00 am »
If you're actually interested in the product, the best policy is to just reply with whatever answers thay are expecting - high volumes etc. Make up a potential product if necessary...
maybe they only exist infront of computer (online) once in a month, or a year? who knows? but you can try your sweet lip as you like, but try as short as possible to avoid wasting your effort typing to nobody.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 11:50:22 am »
if its an obsolete component then why do these companies want to know about volumes e.t.c. ?
Because they want to sell you the current products that replace them.

Offline bilko

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 12:20:58 pm »
So who is going to start production based on a part that has superseded an obsolete part ?
The data sheet requirement may have been to aid in servicing existing equipment. Volumes would be low.
In response to the OP, it is extremely frustrating to have to jump through hoops to obtain data. It is very unlikely after that experience that you will place your production order with the company that made you do that.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 06:35:28 pm »
So who is going to start production based on a part that has superseded an obsolete part ?
The data sheet requirement may have been to aid in servicing existing equipment. Volumes would be low.
In response to the OP, it is extremely frustrating to have to jump through hoops to obtain data. It is very unlikely after that experience that you will place your production order with the company that made you do that.
Making design-in decisions on that basis would be rather stupid. Obviously they are being dumb and possibly losing design-ins, but If their chip was cheaper/better/more available, it would be ridiculous to ignore it just on the basis of a dumb website.

Offline bilko

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 06:48:46 pm »
but If their chip was cheaper/better/more available, it would be ridiculous to ignore it just on the basis of a dumb website.

Totally agree, if you are dealing with the chip manufacturer, however I believe that some of these companies are skimming the net for data sheets and then forcing you to sign up with them so that they can

a) switch sell alternative components of dubious origin
b) sell the harvested email addresses and information to other interested parties.

Ok, give false information, you may or may not receive the data sheet.

Offline Frangible

• Regular Contributor
  • Contraptioneer
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 08:52:40 pm »
I've rejected using Marvell components in the past when there was a competitor mainly because of their NDA-laden datasheet distribution policy.  On one project I kept having issues with one of their peripheral devices.  After struggling with it for a while and getting absolutely no help from their FSEs, someone suggested I ask for the new data sheet - evidently the one provided at the beginning of the project had been superseded, and included the errata that described the work-around to my problem.

There was no way for me to know there was a new datasheet - Marvell does not send out updates automatically, but provides no way for you to discover if any exist without asking for one.  Of course, you have to provide your name, NDA agreement number, and the revision number desired.  "Just give me the latest" won't cut it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf