Author Topic: Australia, explain yourself.  (Read 22520 times)

Offline bitsliceTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Australia, explain yourself.
« on: July 21, 2016, 12:24:04 am »
Technically this is a topic of almost zero Electronics content,
however, how many forums do you know with Australians on them?

Now, to run with a common stereotype, I've always thought of Australians as a bit like Yorkshiremen wrestling crocodiles while surfing.

However, it appears someone is letting the side down.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/school-life/school-bans-clapping-and-allows-students-silent-cheers-or-air-punching-but-only-when-teachers-agree/news-story/cf87e7e5758906367e31b41537b18ad6

“Instead of clapping, the students are free to punch the air, pull excited faces and wriggle about on the spot."

:wtf:  :scared:

This is the sort of Politically Correct shite that is running rife in my country*, tbh I expect more from Australia.
Dave, sort it out please.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/mar/24/feminist-conference-says-clapping-triggers-anxiety/ 

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
Re: Australia, explain yourself.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 12:34:20 am »
(Hangs head in shame)

I tend to get in trouble at the kids school when I stand up against this sort of stuff.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 12:55:56 am »
Well in my circumstances I'll guess and say that the reason there are not many Australian people on other world wide forums might be because they get kicked out or chucked out (that's in my personal circumstances) , all the time too ..

Its that PC world i suppose , FULLASHIT!

Even just announcing the above as a opinion would be enough for a banning by those neurotic anal opinion police (in where it might not be a opinion either) that are soooooo superior and i might also type more than just slightly insane nerdburglars , imo of course ..
Soon

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 01:04:24 am »
Decisions like this are just complete and utter bullshit/bollocks and the majority of the community agree. This particular school/decision is being ridiculed on talk back radio.

I believe the world as a whole is getting dumber.

Online Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 01:07:20 am »
Did you know...
... that out school has adopted silent cheers at assembly's?
These people teach kids. |O
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 01:11:16 am »

Its always been dumb imo , now it's says it's smarter as it does not want to be really seen as it is , at least the British decided to do something about it lately and never mind the supposedly cost now that's being smart (no knock intended or meant as i mean it too)..
Soon

Online HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 02:14:48 am »
Just a few points.
Remember the media is full of garbage so take anything they say with a grain of salt.
This seems to be a school decision and there was probably some reason to bring it in and I am sure the parents have had some consultation on it, and it can just as easily be changed if it is that bad.
Parents can move their kids to a different school if it is such and issue.

Decisions like this are just complete and utter bullshit/bollocks and the majority of the community agree. This particular school/decision is being ridiculed on talk back radio.

If it is true then at least the school has the freedom to make a small decision like this. This is much better than all school policy coming from the government.
From my experience I think the kids of today are a lot further ahead, socially and educationally than when I was at school.
I remember seeing physical fights almost every day, open racism, teachers ignoring merciless teasing and harassment, people who couldn't read at all  ... etc

It is hard to measure but if anything I think the kids these days are smarter not dumber.

The following users thanked this post: DenzilPenberthy, apis

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 03:35:25 am »
This will be true , i'd like to type just wait and see but its to late .
Soon

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 03:43:25 am »

I have seen that ad on TV recently.

I, too, got a cold shiver running down my spine.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 03:50:05 am »
Then there was the time , i was waiting for the lift to turn up on the 3rd floor of a large hospital , 3 large 2 door lifts 2 had large Blue signs saying "Public" the other one had a extra large sign in red Staff only with large stickers on both doors saying public do not use this lift only for hospital staff and emergency's .

So up the corridor walks a female with 3 kids ranging from 3 to 8 years old , it was texting on the mobile phone , walks straight up to you know what lift and presses the button and not even looking up from the phone .

The kid that could obviously read looked at the signs and then looked at the mother then back at the signs then back at the mother whilst it was still at it texting , i could hear it calculating and i could see the kid probably thought "i better shut up" , lift turns up , they all go in whilst there was 3 or 4 people dressed in all blue/whites/gowns and headscarfs (hospital people) already in the lift , the mother still did not look up from the phone , doors closed , i laughed in disbelief on the comedy i just saw ...  someone could have died .
Soon

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 03:59:21 am »

Yes its funny i reckon , the ads take the piss out of people but i wonder if they really understand that those people are actually out there , i notice heaps of that type of thing like the time 2 females pushing pushers with babies in them , mothers had sunnies on , hats and the stuff to protect them from the sun , the pushers had those fold-able roofs yet were folded back , the babies were in direct sunlight and both were trying to cover there eyes with hands , at midday direct sun over head , and the list could go on and on and on and on and on ...
Soon

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 04:04:08 am »
Then there was the time , i was waiting for the lift to turn up on the 3rd floor of a large hospital , 3 large 2 door lifts 2 had large Blue signs saying "Public" the other one had a extra large sign in red Staff only with large stickers on both doors saying public do not use this lift only for hospital staff and emergency's .

So up the corridor walks a female with 3 kids ranging from 3 to 8 years old , it was texting on the mobile phone , walks straight up to you know what lift and presses the button and not even looking up from the phone .

The kid that could obviously read looked at the signs and then looked at the mother then back at the signs then back at the mother whilst it was still at it texting , i could hear it calculating and i could see the kid probably thought "i better shut up" , lift turns up , they all go in whilst there was 3 or 4 people dressed in all blue/whites/gowns and headscarfs (hospital people) already in the lift , the mother still did not look up from the phone , doors closed , i laughed in disbelief on the comedy i just saw ...  someone could have died .

Here in the States that behavior is so common that the staff elevators are keyed to RFIDs in the staff badges, and the call button requires a swipe from the badge.  Sorry commentary on folks.  Also guess who will be screaming to high heaven when staff is delayed getting to their loved one.

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 04:04:53 am »

Oh my god.

Whenever I try to enable that on my phone it gives an error lol

Offline DTJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 04:11:51 am »
It gets better, this week an expensive private girls school on the east coast of Australia banned the female students being refreed to or called girls or woman. Apparently it may offend any LGBTI students.

I'm not certain but I figured LGB's would still technically be women or girls. Perhaps they should rename the school as its no longer for "girls".

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/school-life/calls-for-intervention-over-sydney-girls-school-gender-neutral-language-policy/news-story/37c0d140a109d9c6a592b1a80ec0af6e

I get a laugh every time I hear an Aussie politician refer to us (Australia) as "The Clever Country".

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 04:25:03 am »
I sometimes feel we are heading towards being "The special country" - with buses to match.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 04:59:01 am »
It gets better, this week an expensive private girls school on the east coast of Australia banned the female students being refreed to or called girls or woman. Apparently it may offend any LGBTI students.

I'm not certain but I figured LGB's would still technically be women or girls. Perhaps they should rename the school as its no longer for "girls".

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/school-life/calls-for-intervention-over-sydney-girls-school-gender-neutral-language-policy/news-story/37c0d140a109d9c6a592b1a80ec0af6e

I get a laugh every time I hear an Aussie politician refer to us (Australia) as "The Clever Country".

Ooh me, me me!  My missus is a teacher here in the UK, and they have been told they are not to use "gender specific term", so no girls and boys....  I shit you not....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 06:08:58 am »
Gee whiz.  I wonder what they would have thought of my high school maths class.

The text book we used had numerous exercises throughout and was renowned for incorrect answers in the back.  When the exercises were set, the boys did a, c, e, etc. and the girls did b, d, f, etc.  There was one boy (me) and one girl who were doing the top level maths and we each coordinated the answers from our respective gender defined groups and reported back to the teacher.  Basically, we were correcting the text book.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 06:24:23 am »
Sounds like the school has ASD students who are particularly noise sensitive and they are doing a small thing to help them. 

I don't see a problem. 

Especially as the teachers have indicated it's working well on a general level as well as for the ASD ones.

Frankly, I'd have expected a more positive tone from the EEVBlog Forums, which probably has more than it's fair share of people who could identify as being on the spectrum.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 07:33:37 am »

Stop the planet, I want to get off.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 08:04:50 am »

Stop the planet, I want to get off.

And me  :(

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 08:30:16 am »
Aren't schools supposed to be preparing you for the world,  loud noises including applause is widespread.  I suspect that sooner or later the science will come out,  like  with peanut allergy,   where lack of exposure is a significant contribution.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 08:37:44 am »

Offline Dataforensics

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 08:43:32 am »
The local primary school has a policy that when pupils are walking or traveling outside during school hours, that they wear high visibility jackets. I can just about accept that when they are walking beside busy streets. But I would rather they were encouraged to look out for dangers and take care of themselves.
However I found it farcical to see them all still wearing them in the local park while playing sports. Perhaps it is so they be seen and not heard!!.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 09:54:33 am »
Aren't schools supposed to be preparing you for the world,  loud noises including applause is widespread.  I suspect that sooner or later the science will come out,  like  with peanut allergy,   where lack of exposure is a significant contribution.

This concern is why I haven't been overly critical or supportive - much like 'grading on a curve' isn't a particularly robust educational process, IMO.

I'm all in favour of eliminating elements of society which are unnecessarily discriminatory, but some of the things I've come across are just ridiculous.

Political correctness is turning out to be its own worst enemy.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 10:16:41 am »
I believe that, technically, only Elizabeth II can speak on behalf of Australia. And I don't really understand how Australians can be expected to explain decisions made by other people they have no relation to except living on the same continent?

warning, irony: Or maybe it is supposed to be something special in the Australian culture and therefore something all (and only) Australians understand and are doomed to repeat in eternity since culture apparently never change!?  /irony ::)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf