Author Topic: are you scared of artificial intelligence?  (Read 21254 times)

Offline Keridos

Re: are you scared of artificial intelligence?
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2016, 11:28:54 am »
Human intelligence scares me as well. For me it is kind of zynical when people say something like "it's scary when AI's have to decide over life and death situations". Now just think about the biggest idiots you know and how you feel about them being in charge of a life and death situation. We can put failsafes in AI, we can't put failsafes in Human minds (yet). What I will closely watch is the implementation in jurisdiction for those kinds of things like autonomous programs and more complex AI, as that is where we need to have the basic foundation. The actualy implementation is important as well but that one is kind of obvious. Besides a lot of things are already controlled by some kind of automatic systems in a lot of things like aircraft, machinery etc.
Best regards

Offline strangersound

• Regular Contributor
  • Resistance Is Not Futile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2016, 06:12:03 pm »
Human intelligence scares me as well. For me it is kind of zynical when people say something like "it's scary when AI's have to decide over life and death situations". Now just think about the biggest idiots you know and how you feel about them being in charge of a life and death situation. We can put failsafes in AI, we can't put failsafes in Human minds (yet). What I will closely watch is the implementation in jurisdiction for those kinds of things like autonomous programs and more complex AI, as that is where we need to have the basic foundation. The actualy implementation is important as well but that one is kind of obvious. Besides a lot of things are already controlled by some kind of automatic systems in a lot of things like aircraft, machinery etc.

Good points. An aircraft autopiloting system is probably more trustworthy than the sleep deprived pilot controlling it...and I'd trust any AI over the average politician. ;)

Back to the thread: I saw this this morning:

Neurogrid: A Mixed-Analog-Digital Multichip System for Large-Scale Neural Simulations
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:22:59 pm by strangersound »
"I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline TinkerFan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2016, 10:39:48 am »
Indeed, that's true. Robots usually don't get stressed or tiered.
But there are other robot diseases...
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

Offline bernie

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2016, 11:00:13 am »
There will certainly be a shift in the job market for taxis and haulage once automated cars are fully in use. Warehouses have seen a lot of automation, but the Boston Dynamics robot is impressive.
This is a good video by CGP Grey - Humans Need Not Apply

Hopefully when you buy a new automated car in the future, you can send it out to work for you when you are not using it  ;)

Offline tjeulink

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2016, 11:07:01 am »
scrap that, i'm talking crap again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf