Author Topic: Are Cinemas_Theaters still Alive in your Area?  (Read 5459 times)

Offline mengfeiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Are Cinemas_Theaters still Alive in your Area?
« on: July 19, 2023, 01:21:44 am »
once ins our area there where like almost more than 10 huge movie theaters, now it's like there's just about 2 of them.

with the advent of cheap huge LED TV's & affordable 1080p/ 4K Projectors you can now take the Cinema experience in your own home. Also the annoyance of some movie goers, like those cellphones or talking about the movies itself  :blah: makes it going to the movies a bad experience for some.

Given that you have your HT setup in your home, are you still willing to go the Movies?  ::)     

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Are Cinemas_Theaters still Alive in your Area?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 01:41:36 am »
Given that you have your HT setup in your home, are you still willing to go the Movies?  ::)   

Nope.

I don't want to watch that many of the new movies. Simply not interested in them. The few I do want to watch - like John Wick 4 and Dune, I simply wait for the DVD.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 02:47:37 am »

Nope.

I don't want to watch that many of the new movies. Simply not interested in them. The few I do want to watch - like John Wick 4 and Dune, I simply wait for the DVD.  :-//
DVD?! You know it isn't 1998, right? We have HDR 4k Blu ray now with object based audio that works with as many speakers as you can fit in the room (13 in my case, plus subs).
I still very occasionally go to the cinema, but mostly to hang out with friends or take the kids to a movie they just can't wait for. Most cinemas in my city have comfy power-reclining leather seats with oceans of room, and they serve alcohol if you prefer that over fizzy sugar water.

Online Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 02:57:56 am »
There's still a couple around here. But what annoys me most is all the commercials and previews they put in at the start. So unless it's an unpopular movie, so you can arrive late and avoid all the crap, it's just not worth going. The only reason I went last time is because I got a gift card.

The following users thanked this post: wn1fju

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 05:22:06 am »
Yes.
But i don't go anywhere as much as i wanted to, the main reason are the movies themselves.
However one of the cinemas around here has at least two nights a week for special projections (documentaries, mini festivals, anniversary of something) and i've gone like 8 times to those, and two to major movies this year

for example, i see that next week they'll start a month long festival showing the LOTR trilogy for the 20th year anniversary, and another one for all Miyazaki movies because (i don't know why)
I'd much rather see that than indiana jones and the dial of doo-doo

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 06:13:10 am »
Recent movies are unwatchable.  They became tools of ideological subversion.

Each movie these days, no matter the subject, will insert an interracial family, or bringing nazi out of the blue, or picturing men as weak, or as total jerks, or women with unfeminine behavior, or white bad, or adding LGBTQ+ characters, and so on.  Usually a combination of more than one of these.

Movies have become nothing more than 90 minutes of brainwashing disguised as a story.

The following users thanked this post: all_repair, wraper

Offline Tizian

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 06:35:21 am »
Buongiorno
Si vado al cinema ed a teatro, il fascino del grande schermo e del vedere in gruppo una rappresentazione od un film è sempre presente.
Anche il cinema all'aperto adesso che fa caldo ed in inverno il cineforum.
Sembra però che i grandi registi stiano calando, o forse fare un film è troppo costoso senza effetti speciali digitali, magari divento vecchio.
Guarderò il prossimo di Nolan sul progetto Manhattam.
Buona vita

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 09:37:34 am »
I do still go to the cinema now and then, but not as often as before.  Probably go four or five times a year.  It isn't too expensive it's just massively more convenient to watch something at home.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 09:49:29 am »
my last visit to the Cinema was 2019 lol

Since I've got a projector & a blank white wall in my room, i opted to wait it out & watched it in my own private idaho  ;D

AFAICR the my last Cinema was Imax 3D 8) ....some avenger movie i guess

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2023, 09:51:55 am »
Buongiorno
Si vado al cinema ed a teatro, il fascino del grande schermo e del vedere in gruppo una rappresentazione od un film è sempre presente.
Anche il cinema all'aperto adesso che fa caldo ed in inverno il cineforum.
Sembra però che i grandi registi stiano calando, o forse fare un film è troppo costoso senza effetti speciali digitali, magari divento vecchio.
Guarderò il prossimo di Nolan sul progetto Manhattam.
Buona vita

in the near future AI will take over the cinemas....

Oh! it's happening Now!  :rant:

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2023, 10:25:23 am »
I enjoy the cinema; weirdly, it was one of the things I found I really missed during the Covid lockdown. I found myself craving getting out of the house, and just having something new to watch... a way to escape a thoroughly crappy real world into a fantasy one, just for a few hours.

It's obvious the industry is still recovering from a couple of years' worth of dramatically reduced productivity, of course, but that's getting better now. This week my local cinema is currently showing a new Mission Impossible, a Spider-Man, an Indiana Jones and a Transformers, plus a handful of other movies that aren't 'big' popcorn munching franchises.

Ironically even though I do have a true 4K projector and a Dolby Atmos system, I don't go to the cinema any less often since installing those. I just enjoy a better experience when I watch movies at home than I would otherwise.

The things that have put me off the cinema from time to time have nothing to do with the likes of Netflix, or the difference in picture and sound presentation between home and theatre. Instead it's the little things...

- the fact that, every single time, I ask for a medium popcorn and have to go through the "it's only 50p more..." upsell. I hate this, and I'm sure the staff do too.

- the quality of popcorn has gone down, but of course, the prices haven't. In fact the ticket price at my local theatre is still very good indeed despite recent increases, but I'd rather pay another £1 and enjoy a better overall experience.

- during a number of screenings we've had to put up with a deliberately intrusive "screen checker"... someone wearing a hi-viz jacket wandering into the theatre and very obviously pointing a camera at the audience, presumably to try and spot recording devices. This happened 3 times during one particular showing, and I didn't go back for 6 months after that. I'm paying good money for a few hours' worth of immersion, it's not OK to break that, and don't dare try to use the 'c' word to justify yourself if the movie is already on file sharing sites.

Offline Bryn

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2023, 07:29:40 pm »
Plenty of cinemas around here in Glasgow including the little Grosvenor Picture Theatre in its West End are still alive and kicking, despite a global pandemic and bootleg DVDs floating about.

But what am I saying... I've not been to the cinema in over a decade and I don't give a toss about what so-called "blockbusters" come out these days.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 07:36:22 pm by Bryn »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2023, 07:56:59 pm »
There are a couple of cinemas in my town with a population of about 186k.

I've never been much of a film person. I used to go with friends every now and then, or watch a DVD, again with friends or family, but never go alone. The new films do appear to be trying to make progressive political points, rather than just telling a good story. I accept there's always been some element of bias i.e. Russia bad, but that was because the west was at war with them. Nowadays they appear to be trying to change society, to suit their views.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2023, 08:27:18 pm »
Recent movies are unwatchable.  They became tools of ideological subversion.

Each movie these days, no matter the subject, will insert an interracial family, or bringing nazi out of the blue, or picturing men as weak, or as total jerks, or women with unfeminine behavior, or white bad, or adding LGBTQ+ characters, and so on.  Usually a combination of more than one of these.

Movies have become nothing more than 90 minutes of brainwashing disguised as a story.

Yeah, you don't need to go to a movie theater to see that though (which was the topic), the worst compilation of all this is on Netflix, with many more movies than are actually projected in theaters.
So people who never go to theaters anymore but watch all of their movies at home on platforms such as Netflix are even worse off.

This is nothing new though. Sure the ideology has shifted in recent years, but apart from "art cinema", mainstream movies have always more or less been vectors of ideology, in particular Hollywood movies.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2023, 02:05:14 am »
Apparently movie piracy has declined significantly over the past few years. Maybe Netflix and others have something to do with it. The big hard disk sellers won't be happy.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2023, 08:35:25 am »
Netflix is more convenient than piracy.  The risk is that the selection from Netflix is reducing as other streaming providers start up, so now it seems like you need to subscribe to three or four different platforms to get the same selection.  At that point I think piracy is a risk again.  £10 a month or thereabouts is almost a bill most can forget about, but £50 a month isn't.

The following users thanked this post: Kim Christensen

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2023, 10:14:50 am »
Nope, the theater where I grew up has been bulldozed, apparently to make room for a condo development.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2023, 11:52:36 am »
Absolutely, and the cinemas are full. Yesterday, I tried to buy Friday night tickets for "Oppenheimer" at the nearest AMC theater, but without success - all seats were fully booked.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2023, 09:20:37 pm »
I know I'm a bit weird, but I haven't been in a movie theater since sometime in the 1980s. I'm almost certain the last time I went it was to see Top Gun.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2023, 10:37:42 pm »
Absolutely, and the cinemas are full. Yesterday, I tried to buy Friday night tickets for "Oppenheimer" at the nearest AMC theater, but without success - all seats were fully booked.
Online booking does not have to do with reality. Last  time I was booking, 70% seats  appeared booked. When we came, the total audience was 10 people including 3 of us.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2023, 01:43:30 am »
Nope, the theater where I grew up has been bulldozed, apparently to make room for a condo development.

eventually most will end up like this since they take up a lot of huge space.

the one's in our place now sells ton's of stuff coming from china, you know those cheap, disposable, unreliable, easy to break, one time use toxic stuff  :palm:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2023, 01:56:12 am »
Still a thing here in Sydney. None around me have closed.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2023, 01:56:53 am »
 the new movies. Zzzzzzzzzzz  Simply not interested
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2023, 01:59:55 am »
I know I'm a bit weird, but I haven't been in a movie theater since sometime in the 1980s. I'm almost certain the last time I went it was to see Top Gun.

You missed an awesome treat not watching Top Gun Maverick in the theatre.
Oppenheimer is the new one I'm very keen to see, zero CGI  effects in the entire movie.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2023, 02:28:42 am »
If only not the popcorn chewing idiots , i would go more often, maybe twice a year  :)
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf