Author Topic: Agilent versus Fluke Multimeters  (Read 30679 times)

Offline saturationTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Agilent versus Fluke Multimeters
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 08:49:28 pm »
Hello again K,

Thank you, and glad to be back.  We had some interesting times in forests down South, one of us got a small scorpion sting and got slightly neurotoxic, and I got bit by a moth that drinks blood!  Lots of scratches and scars but a good workout.  I brought my Radio Shack DMM with me [ Sanwa clone] and while the electronics are OK, its flip casing broke in half at the swivel joint.  My camera flooded underwater.  So, the trips are stressful for electronics that's for sure.  We break a lot of things.  

I wish Sanwa would make a more durable casing.  As the website suggests, its a popular model, running now for many years.

http://overseas.sanwa-meter.co.jp/index.php?pm7a

Agilent is wise by giving its 1272 to many reviewers, by giving the DMM to so many different work conditions they can get good feedback from a 'multi' use meter and show its appeal for anywhere a DMM can be used.  With so much stuff now electronic that can be used in even the remotest part of the world, a DMM is best tough.

FWIW, these DMM are not rated to be used in commercial flight, as planes are pressured to 10,000' and the DMM are rated at altitude and humidity 2000m [ 6000'] and 80-90% RH [jungle typically reaches 100% at 100F].  Even the rugged 28II is rated similarly.

Yes, just read Dave has one too!  Great to compare notes including PetrosA original review!

Hi S.

Its nice having you back ..  :) ( safely returned )

Your Field test, sounds interesting , and it is totally different from my ,
Dave also got this DMM on his hands .

And so , soon enough, three people are going to do their homework about the U1272A,
three totally different between them professionals .  

This sounds all ready tremendously interesting , and it is .  ;)    
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:14:33 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 10:59:13 pm »
Thank you, and glad to be back.  We had some interesting times in forests down South America, one of us got a small scorpion sting and got slightly neurotoxic, and I got bit by a moth that drinks blood!  Lots of scratches and scars but a good workout.  I brought my Radio Shack DMM with me [ Sanwa clone] and while the electronics are OK, its flip casing broke in half at the swivel joint.  My camera flooded underwater.  So, the trips are stressful for electronics that's for sure.  We break a lot of things. 

Sounds exciting! Any "breath taking" photos?
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 05:13:45 pm »
Nothing new, that others haven't done before us.  We go to sinkholes and dive inside them.  Usually about 100-500' from a road, be it dirt or paved.  A lot of nature, no amenities.  I haven't unpacked yet, but here are some stock photos. 

Sink hole can be about 15' drop to deeper water, so you may jump from the edge to the bottom, then at end you take a ladder up with your 130 lbs of gear to walk the 500' back to a truck. Add 100F full sunshine and it can be taxing.  Inside are several miles of passageways.

Thank you, and glad to be back.  We had some interesting times in forests down South America, one of us got a small scorpion sting and got slightly neurotoxic, and I got bit by a moth that drinks blood!  Lots of scratches and scars but a good workout.  I brought my Radio Shack DMM with me [ Sanwa clone] and while the electronics are OK, its flip casing broke in half at the swivel joint.  My camera flooded underwater.  So, the trips are stressful for electronics that's for sure.  We break a lot of things. 

Sounds exciting! Any "breath taking" photos?
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 05:46:00 pm »
After seeing the pictures , my first thought was that you desperately need one Fluke 28II  ;D  ;D  ;D

I got notified today by the UPS.com , estimated time for delivery 5 days.  ( This Friday or next Monday)

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 07:46:50 pm »
You are so lucky!!!

Nothing new, that others haven't done before us.  We go to sinkholes and dive inside them.  Usually about 100-500' from a road, be it dirt or paved.  A lot of nature, no amenities.  I haven't unpacked yet, but here are some stock photos. 

Sink hole can be about 15' drop to deeper water, so you may jump from the edge to the bottom, then at end you take a ladder up with your 130 lbs of gear to walk the 500' back to a truck. Add 100F full sunshine and it can be taxing.  Inside are several miles of passageways.

Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 08:13:25 pm »
Thanks firewalker  :D

@Kiriakos:  it would be a better choice if someone gave me one!  I use test gear to troubleshoot and test equipment on land or in the truck.  But it has to survive the surroundings which can get pretty hot, humid, dusty, and use on very dirty and erratic electrical power ... the stuff you need a DMM to perform well and be trustworthy; I won't be able to second guess the readings and can't bring more than one DMM to pack lightly.  So the 28II is the right DMM, but I use the Fluke 85 for years so I know that alone is good enough, so now its Agilent's turn  ;)

After seeing the pictures , my first thought was that you desperately need one Fluke 28II  ;D  ;D  ;D

I got notified today by the UPS.com , estimated time for delivery 5 days.  ( This Friday or next Monday)
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf