Author Topic: A tax on IE7 Users  (Read 19384 times)

Uncle Vernon

A tax on IE7 Users
« on: June 15, 2012, 12:40:47 am »
Brilliant! Aussie importer Kogan imposes a 6% tax on all purchases made using IE7. http://ph.omg.yahoo.com/news/australian-website-launches-ie7-tax-153907804.htmlMy hopes of stupidity based taxation

My hopes are still alive that taxation based upon stupidity, could and should be adopted.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
Re: A tax on IE7 Users
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 01:04:50 am »
My hopes are still alive that taxation based upon stupidity, could and should be adopted.

They already have various lotteries in Australia don't they?

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 01:39:50 am »
It is hilarious!  ;D

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 01:53:03 am »
Dam.....'Page not Found'.............

regards
Testing one two three...

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 02:36:41 am »
Well poker machines are voluntary tax booths, usually located where low income earners live.
Taxing all IE users would be a good idea.
Was it really supposed to do that?

Offline kaptain_zero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 02:47:57 am »

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 02:51:49 am »

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 03:06:00 am »
About time someone did something to make people keep there systems up to date.

I would probably tax any IE browser user........... but I am biased toward Firefox and Chrome browsers. ;D

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 04:34:20 am »
I know exactly what it feels like to provide support for shitty browsers. It's not unusual to spend 30% of dev time on IE compatibility issues.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 04:47:02 am »
Should be doubled for IE6 users, though many of them have no choice in that matter.

My bank sorted that out, they moved to RHEL and have saved massively on costs, as well as having computers that are basically secure terminals running a remote session for the user. The ATM's though are still Diebold, and use XP, though they are not connected to the internet except via a secure vpn router.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 08:32:13 am »
I think the newer browsers aren't any better in terms of user experience, removing functionality  changing the UI too much and being more nannying. Forcing upgrades causes unnecessary work for users as they try to get everything working the way they wanted again. Websites that care about what browser you use should rethink their strategies. I have a tendency of just going back and looking somewhere else when a website complains about my environment. (If it's something that really can't be found somewhere else, then I switch user-agents to tell them whatever browser they want just to shut them up.)

http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 09:06:32 am »
Well for one thing certain it's very hard to keep your website compatible with a abomination only known as "IE"

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 09:21:46 am »
I think the newer browsers aren't any better in terms of user experience, removing functionality  changing the UI too much and being more nannying. Forcing upgrades causes unnecessary work for users as they try to get everything working the way they wanted again. Websites that care about what browser you use should rethink their strategies. I have a tendency of just going back and looking somewhere else when a website complains about my environment. (If it's something that really can't be found somewhere else, then I switch user-agents to tell them whatever browser they want just to shut them up.)

http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/
It's all about standards compliance, not about supporting a specific platform. Most self respecting web developers don't care what browser you use, as long as the rendered pages look and work consistently within the parameters of W3C standards.

You can't do that with IE6 and 7.

Hacking support together to make pages work on superseded browsers is a waste of time, waste of money and eats into site maintenance costs. Furthermore, getting end users to upgrade will also benefit them with improved security on their machines.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 03:55:08 am »

I would probably tax any IE browser user........... but I am biased toward Firefox and Chrome browsers. ;D

Regards

I dunno about Firefox,but I'd rather have Rheumatic Fever than Google Chrome! ;D

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 04:19:58 am »
with my ie8, i'll be the next victim. but thanks god i never heard bout this kogan. ok i have, the other kogan maybe.

It's all about standards compliance, not about supporting a specific platform. Most self respecting web developers don't care what browser you use, as long as the rendered pages look and work consistently within the parameters of W3C standards.
You can't do that with IE6 and 7.
Hacking support together to make pages work on superseded browsers is a waste of time, waste of money and eats into site maintenance costs. Furthermore, getting end users to upgrade will also benefit them with improved security on their machines.
i have the chrome installed that equally perform bad as my ie8 (slow loading or just hanged) on some sites. i'm not sure what, but it seems unspecific to ie8 noncompliance. just as example. browsing digikey, ti, farnel etc. i still have no problem with ebay and eevblog though with my ie8. so i guess ie8 is still eevblog compliance, no need tax eh?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 04:38:45 am »
Performance problems with IE were in part due to a poor implementation of a crypto engine to handle SSL connections. I measured up to 17 times slower in IE6 than in the FF browser at the time (probably 2.0) for page loading. It does not appear to have improved by much. IE is still very slow to load TLS pages compared to FF.
Was it really supposed to do that?

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 04:44:50 am »
I used Firefox for years until one day it annoyed me. Now i use both Firefox and Chrome. I like the Chrome integration with my Google account etc.

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 05:13:21 am »

Regards

I dunno about Firefox,but I'd rather have Rheumatic Fever than Google Chrome! ;D

Eh ? ._.  care to explain?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 06:58:58 am »

Regards

I liked the early versions of IE & Netscape,when a browser looked like a browser,& if you wanted a Search Engine you entered  the URL for Google & a Google page came up,
Meanwhile,if you didn't want it,you could just enter the URLs for the sites you wanted,& go on with your life.
Even though it's been messed around with,IE still looks like a browser,as does Firefox.

Google Chrome,on the other hand,just looks like the ordinary Google Search Engine page,& everything is difficult to do.
I have no doubt,that if I had never seen any other browser,I would be happy with Chrome,but I have, & I'm not!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 07:39:03 am »

Regards

I liked the early versions of IE & Netscape,when a browser looked like a browser,& if you wanted a Search Engine you entered  the URL for Google & a Google page came up,
Meanwhile,if you didn't want it,you could just enter the URLs for the sites you wanted,& go on with your life.
Even though it's been messed around with,IE still looks like a browser,as does Firefox.

Google Chrome,on the other hand,just looks like the ordinary Google Search Engine page,& everything is difficult to do.
I have no doubt,that if I had never seen any other browser,I would be happy with Chrome,but I have, & I'm not!

I am much happier with Chrome/Rockmelt/Chromium/Comodo Dragon/Crossover Chromium/Flock/SRWare Iron
rather then that piece of shit IE7 that no longer looks like a browser even so chrome looks like a browser to me, the address bar is at the top and spans the entire length
FF/Palemoon(Speed-up version) looks like a browser but with a shitload of history it slows to a crawl
So Chromium for me

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 07:55:46 am »
I wont have IE6/7/8/9 or IEto the 27 on my computer I cannot stand the silly litle windows that you have to scroll through due to all the junk that is put on the screen.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 08:03:29 am »
I wont have IE6/7/8/9 or IEto the 27 on my computer I cannot stand the silly litle windows that you have to scroll through due to all the junk that is put on the screen.

My sentiments ...  ;D

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 08:31:25 am »

I agree there ...
But i unfortunately have to use Chromium to access my Bank (Ubuntu 10.04).

FireFox (in combi w. java) has been crashing my Bank (security APP) , ever since Ubuntu decided to switch away from Sun Java. I think i have send 50+ (autogenerated) crashreports to Mozilla.
But nothing happens.

If i run my Bank APP in Chromium , the app works.
So i have no choice , but only use Chromium for Banking.

I use FF for everything else.

/Bingo

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 11:40:21 am »
At least Chromium is much better in that it does not silently update itself, and does not send "anonymous" data to the Chocolate factory.

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 11:46:10 am »
My only issue with Chrome is the lack of Bookmarks button. I find it most annoying at times and it is almost impossible to find a decent plugin that does a reasonable job of it.

Regards
Testing one two three...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf