Author Topic: A $55 blow  (Read 11116 times)

Offline blueskullTopic starter

• Supporter
  • !
  • BA7LKP
A $55 blow
« on: June 10, 2017, 11:33:01 pm »

I have a box of 120mm*38mm, 12V 1.66A Delta fans, and while I was testing one, I powered it off, waited for a few seconds and tried to stop the already decelerated blade with my finger, and I lost a small chunk of flesh.

I would like to see someone poking their fingers to this thing...

The following users thanked this post: buck converter

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: A $55 blow
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 01:21:39 am »
Pretty sure anyone who has worked on modern PCs has done that at least once. High powered fans have been in consumer PCs since the P4 era.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 01:50:47 am »
I remember the stock cooler on my AMD 2000+, that fan sounded like a vacuum cleaner lol.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 02:28:12 am »
The 40mm fans go up to 25000 rpm  .. for example Sanyo Denki America Inc. 9GAX0412P3S001 for 20$ : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sanyo-denki-america-inc/9GAX0412P3S001/1688-1614-ND/6192330

Just commented on the forum on linustechtips a few minutes ago ... he got screwed paying 55$ for a fan.

Digikey has better fans:

You can buy 80mm fans, Delta PFM0812HE for 31$ : 16300 rpm , 130 CFM (3.67cm3 / min) , 77dB noise  ... 51.6w on 12v (4.3A) : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/delta-electronics/PFM0812HE-01BFY/603-2045-ND/6580735

Or in the 92mm format, you have Sunon Fans PF92381BX for 25$ : 13000 rpm  , 182 CFM (5.16m3/min) , 74  dB noise  48 watts on 12v : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sunon-fans/PF92381BX-000U-S99/259-1672-ND/4865303
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 02:29:43 am by mariush »

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 04:42:29 am »
Is there anyone else who can't stand that guy's "enthusiasm" and voice? I just can't watch his videos but mainly because it seems he doesn't really have that much of an in-depth technical knowledge when it comes to PCs and components. He seems to promote whatever parts companies throw at him.

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 04:56:00 am »
Is there anyone else who can't stand that guy's "enthusiasm" and voice? I just can't watch his videos but mainly because it seems he doesn't really have that much of an in-depth technical knowledge when it comes to PCs and components. He seems to promote whatever parts companies throw at him.

I only watch his video seriously when I have some spare money to blow up on tech gears.
I don't expect to learn anything but market trend from him, and he acknowledges that he isn't an engineer.
As a diluted source of tech trend and news, LTT is a great source, so do similar channels (J2C, etc.).

As for the voice of enthusiasm, Dave does the same. I do some videos internally for teaching purpose, and from my experience, mimicking an uncommon voice with exaggerated stresses makes covering the "dryness" of voice easier.
It's actually very hard to do a "normal" voice without sound very dry and boring without professional voice coaching.

Good point. Although I think Dave is a pretty good presenter. I guess his accent and inflections sound normal to me. He is certainly very passionate at times, especially when debunking bullshit.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 05:03:25 am »
I could barely handle 2 minutes of the video....Why so much drama? Who is the audience for this channel? Teen girls?  :-//
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 05:46:10 am »
He actually has a video explaining why he behaves so funny and why the thumbnails are kinda click bait. It all boils down to competition. The bottom line is if your competitor does this and takes revenue from you, you have to compete back, accelerating the race to stupidity.

I see your point, but in reality all that he achieved was he totally lost me as a viewer. And I do not think I am that unique so chances are there is a substantial chunk of the audience that he lost with his clown manner of presenting otherwise fairly interesting material. At minimum I'd recommend taking lessons from a dramatic arts professional if he wants to do it this way. It just all feels false.

Always keep in mind that he has 10 mouths to feed.

I keep hearing this on this forum every now and then about content providers and each time my opinion is :

- then that person is in the wrong business.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 06:36:37 am »
Meh. I have few of these (120x38mm). They also have slow-start feature, so first they start at innocent low speed and in about 30 seconds ramp up to full might.
Was 20$ or so from local fan shop. Speed of this one is about 9000RPM (not to forget it's a 120x38mm fan :).

The highest power fan in 120mm format I saw was Sunon 8.5Amp +12V at demo booth few years ago :D.
Server/HPC folks surely have these as random fans in drawers.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 06:42:54 am by TiN »
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 11:37:04 am »
My most powerful fan is the PFC1212DE.

Rated 4.8A peak.
You can buy one cheaply here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-PFC1212DE-PWM-120x38mm-Extreme-High-Speed-PWM-Fan-225CFM-M4194-QL-/182431202121?hash=item2a79bf3b49:g:SSAAAOSwcBhWZRx4
*The current rating on the fan usually means the peak current, the RMS current will be much, much lower.

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 11:41:38 am »
Just build a state of the art computer with 7700K and Nvidia1080ti total 500W, but I only use 140mm low RPM fans (6 in total).
The only thing I can hear is my network switch that has 40mm fans inside (replaced them with Noctua to drop 20dB in noise already),
so it is not about the power unless you have a seperate server room, it is about air movement and silence in most cases :)

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 11:52:47 am »
I'd imagine you'd normally set these fans up in a setup where they run at low speed and rev up based on temp.  Gives you that extra rippums for if there is temp issues in the room. (ex: server room and A/C fails)

Some of these with 100CFM+ are pretty impressive though.  That's comparable to larger HVAC fans/blowers that are meant for moving air through duct work.  I guess the hvac ones will have much higher static pressure though.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 12:12:02 pm »
Funny, we recently bought a 50 EUR, 48VDC fan from EBM PLAST. It was the first time I've played with a fan of this class and it was also the first time I was actually scared of a fan, since the damn thing sounded like it wanted to take off and I've grown fond of my fingers.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 12:19:42 pm »
Funny, we recently bought a 50 EUR, 48VDC fan from EBM PLAST. It was the first time I've played with a fan of this class and it was also the first time I was actually scared of a fan, since the damn thing sounded like it wanted to take off and I've grown fond of my fingers.

4 of them may just levitate everything off the desk  :-DD
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Bendba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 02:54:18 pm »
Down town wrecker sells 600mm diameter fans, about $15, just plan on have a separate power supply for the continuous 10A (probably about 25A peek).  :-//

Holden fans are pretty quite.

Edit: sorry, out of line. I just never really got that thing about computer fans. Well designed clean fins and ample available fresh air are more important than the fan blowing
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 02:58:15 pm by Bendba »
Stop dreaming your life, start leaving your dreams.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 03:03:03 pm »
Pretty sure anyone who has worked on modern PCs has done that at least once. High powered fans have been in consumer PCs since the P4 era.
You won't ever find any of such fans in PCs, only servers, some high power UPS. They're so loud, it's very annoying to be any close.

Offline CopperCone

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 03:46:52 pm »
I could barely handle 2 minutes of the video....Why so much drama? Who is the audience for this channel? Teen girls?  :-//
god forbid someone has some fun

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 05:15:22 pm »
You won't ever find any of such fans in PCs, only servers, some high power UPS. They're so loud, it's very annoying to be any close.
It helps that such high powered fans are generally variable speed so they don't actually run at top speed very often. They're very quiet at their "idle" speed of around 1200RPM. Actually quieter than a cheap fan at the same speed since they're sine wave drive.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 05:56:42 pm »

While I certainly agree with all that you say, he seems to make a reasonable living out of it. I doubt it's Youtube money that keeps him afloat, it's the embedded ads, merch and infomercials he does. Most of his content is the blood sweat and tears of the dozen or so others working for him, he's just the main voice. I don't like the way he seems to treat his coworkers sometimes which inadvertently comes across occasionally during his livestreams.

I much prefer his coworker Luke Lafreniere as a presenter, not an ounce of arrogance in him.

Like him or not, he must be doing something right.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 07:13:50 pm »
Back in the 180/130nm CPU days, 40mm Delta fans were pretty common. My PC was hated in my household, even when running the fans at 7V they were obnoxious.

Bud, I get you re Linus. I found that Luke's videos have some respite to Linus's high pitch voice. Thinking about it, it's not much different whine in his voice isn't too dissimilar to the whine of that Delta fan  :popcorn:
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 08:33:56 pm »
Back in the 180/130nm CPU days, 40mm Delta fans were pretty common. My PC was hated in my household, even when running the fans at 7V they were obnoxious.

Bud, I get you re Linus. I found that Luke's videos have some respite to Linus's high pitch voice. Thinking about it, it's not much different whine in his voice isn't too dissimilar to the whine of that Delta fan  :popcorn:
I haven't seen very many 40mm fans, let alone high power Deltas, in anything other than 1U servers and similar slim equipment. I actually did build a super slim PC that had two of them, but thanks to modern CPUs being very low power at idle, it wasn't noisy at all in typical desktop use. (Load up the CPU to max and it starts sounding like a hair dryer, but even games generally don't do that very much.)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 09:04:19 pm »
I may be a lone voice hear, but I like the audible feedback I get from the fans when working, it's feedback that it's doing something. Weird, I know.

Offline daveyk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 10:04:50 pm »

Usually the so called high power fans are <0.5A, which already will give you a good amount of noise in a living environment.
There are more powerful fans for computers, but usually for 1U/2U servers, and usually comes in 40mm form factor.
The one Linus shows is a 4.5A beast, and I bet that one can slice through all flesh on a finger, exposing bone.
11k RPM for a 40mm fan is nothing, but still quite dangerous. 11k RPM on a 80/92mm fan, that sounds bloody scary to me.

We have used some 1u computers that sound like a 747 taking off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline buck converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 10:17:58 pm »
I would like to see someone poking their fingers to this thing...

There exists a table saw with a "flesh detection" system that brakes the blade if you poke it.
Just me and my scope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf