Author Topic: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.  (Read 184228 times)

Offline Augustus

• Regular Contributor
Re: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.
« Reply #450 on: September 18, 2015, 07:12:14 pm »
I am more concerned about the kids safety. Playing around with mains powered devices and building them into what looks like to be a metal case isn't the best idea for a kid of his age and skill level. I hope President Obama doesn't get electrocuted when he shows this thing off a the White House  :-DD
Greetings from the Black Forest, Germany

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #451 on: September 18, 2015, 07:33:04 pm »
This loosely goes back to my thread a few weeks ago... on the fact that bureaucrats and responsible authorities are no longer permitted to think or develop subjective solutions targeted to individual situations... 

So are you saying that the process on discovery of a bomb at a school is to:

1. Do not evacuate the school
2. Take the suspected bomb and bomber to the office building
3. Question the suspected bomber for a while
4. Drive the suspected bomb and suspected bomber to the police station in a car.

Yeah, right.
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #452 on: September 18, 2015, 07:37:02 pm »
It's a pity that schools are just cesspools into which idlers and drifters of the adult world are irresistably drained into.
You can do anything with the right attitude and a hammer.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #453 on: September 18, 2015, 07:40:56 pm »

4. Drive the suspected bomb and suspected bomber to the police station in a car.

Yeah, right.

Yeah right - I suggest this method:

1. Contact the eevblog forum
2. Do not evacuate the school
3. Take the suspected bomb and bomber to the office building
4. Question the suspected bomber for a while
5. Drive the suspected bomb and suspected bomber to the police station in a car.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #454 on: September 18, 2015, 07:41:16 pm »
This loosely goes back to my thread a few weeks ago... on the fact that bureaucrats and responsible authorities are no longer permitted to think or develop subjective solutions targeted to individual situations... 

Yeah, right.
They assumed it was a hoax bomb, which is a crime, too in the US. They might have evacuated the school etc. if they suspected it were a real bomb.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #455 on: September 18, 2015, 07:52:18 pm »

Yeah, right.

Yeah right - I suggest this method:

1. Contact the eevblog forum
2. Do not evacuate the school
3. Take the suspected bomb and bomber to the office building
4. Question the suspected bomber for a while
5. Drive the suspected bomb and suspected bomber to the police station in a car.

You can't question a juvenile in this country without his parents or a lawyer his parents sent.
They have Civil Rights also. 
Sue AF6LJ

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #456 on: September 18, 2015, 07:53:37 pm »
Found this cartoon with an oblique reference to Ahmed's clock.

http://imgur.com/gallery/4IYfibo
You can do anything with the right attitude and a hammer.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #457 on: September 18, 2015, 09:38:21 pm »
It's a pity that schools are just cesspools into which idlers and drifters of the adult world are irresistably drained into.
And that is what society wanted, obviously.
100 years ago small villages had 5 important persons, they were the most respected and best paid of the village:
The mayor, the doctor, the priest, the police officer (different name then) and yes the teacher.

Now 100 years later only the doctor remains reasonable respected and paid, the mayor reasonable respected and the rest.... the rest you don't trust your children with and they get a terrible salary.

Offline yanodamano

« Reply #458 on: September 18, 2015, 10:47:39 pm »
I though the same when I heard it, but then there are always two sides to a story...
How would his teachers know if it was a bomb or not when we engineers can't even see its just a broken up clock stuck in a metal briefcase.
NASA tee-shirt, but not a single solder joint or wire, not much of an electronics hobbyist, maybe I'm being unfair, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway who's his daddy, Mohamed ElHassan Mohamed, always looking for notoriety, look him up...darling of the CIA...a bit of a coincidence don't you think?

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:05:54 pm by Quarlo Klobrigney »
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline cimmo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #460 on: September 18, 2015, 11:08:45 pm »
How would his teachers know if it was a bomb or not when we engineers can't even see its just a broken up clock stuck in a metal briefcase.
There is one key ingredient every bomb requires to be a genuine bomb.
Explosives.
Noise filter is set to ignore: Zapta, dunkemhigh, dannyf

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #461 on: September 18, 2015, 11:29:47 pm »

http://blogs.artvoice.com/techvoice/2015/09/17/reverse-engineering-ahmed-mohameds-clock-and-ourselves/

Yeah, for the people to lazy to click links, apparently the kid bought a vintage clock from eBay and transplanted the components into another case and called it his own creation.

Offline chicken

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rusty Coder
« Reply #462 on: September 18, 2015, 11:37:54 pm »

http://blogs.artvoice.com/techvoice/2015/09/17/reverse-engineering-ahmed-mohameds-clock-and-ourselves/

Yeah, for the people to lazy to click links, apparently the kid bought a vintage clock from eBay and transplanted the components into another case and called it his own creation.

Yeah, definitely deserves to be arrested for that crime /s

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #463 on: September 18, 2015, 11:50:37 pm »
Sue AF6LJ

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #464 on: September 19, 2015, 12:40:24 am »
Interesting take on the Kid and his clock...
http://www.infowars.com/fake-hate-is-clock-kid-furor-all-a-big-setup/

quoted:
Mohamed was belligerent with officials and school security, and refused to explain what the object was for, only stating that it was a clock.

nice; no bias here.  of course, infowars is not what you'd call a trustable reporting source.  clearly, they are still up to their same lack of standards, given this bit of mis-reporting.

anyone here 'not clear' about what a clock's purpose is?

DIDN'T THINK SO!

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #465 on: September 19, 2015, 12:43:45 am »
Alex Jones says: "IT'S REAL! IT'S REAL! IT'S REAL! IT'S REAL!"

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #466 on: September 19, 2015, 12:45:49 am »

so what?  he reboxed it and did not build it from scratch or even wire up any special mods to it.

he's a young kid, starting out.

just what are you trying to imply, here??

the issue is not whether he's a genius, but why the locals flew off the handle over, essentially, nothing.  the issue is also what happend as the situation was progressing; and why they felt the need to handcuff a thin, non-threatening young kid and perp-walk him?

I can see who has the agenda here, and it does not look like its the kid, from where I'm sitting.  it seems that the last day or two, we are seeing the 'other side' trying to ramp this up into their OWN agenda, since the actual facts are just too much for their heads to understand or accept.

typical right-wing reaction.  try to turn it around and make the victim the one at fault.  very very typical.  quite boring, actually, as the play is so damned predictable.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #467 on: September 19, 2015, 12:49:36 am »

Anyway who's his daddy, Mohamed ElHassan Mohamed, always looking for notoriety, look him up...darling of the CIA...a bit of a coincidence don't you think?

I think you are looking for reasons to hate this kid.

and what does 'darling of the cia' mean?

btw, if I had to assign a credibility factor to the nsa, cia or fbi, it would be a very large negative number.  I find it so funny that you think that mentioning the cia actually COUNTS for any cred, these days!  LOL!!!

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #468 on: September 19, 2015, 01:10:47 am »
The Japanese did not surrender until after the nuclear weapons were used.
There was no "ignoring a surrender"----they had every intention of fighting on,street by street .

They tried to negotiate a surrender with better terms through the USSR, those attempts were ignored by the Allies.

^This.

And the dropping of the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was as much about sending a message to the USSR as it was about forcing an end to the war. The US leadership assumed that it would hold a nuclear monopoly for many years to come, and could use it to keep the "red menace" at bay.  Little did they know about Claus Fuchs and other soviet spies within the Manhattan Project who gave the USSR enough data to be able to build a bomb by 1949.

Most historians point out that the approaches through the USSR were not a Surrender,but an offer of a negotiated Peace,with  Japan retaining much of its Pre-War possessions,(like Manchuria) its military forces & material.

This was not acceptable to the Allies,who didn't want to have to fight the War all over again if the Japanese reneged on the agreement.
They had seen that happen with Germany in Europe,where the Versaiiles agreement was slowly frittered away,& what the Japanese wanted were much more generous terms than the Kaiser's Germany ever got.

Even so,the approach was tentative & informal,as the hardliners in Japan were quite capable of assassinating anyone thought to be Defeatist!

People who only know the USA as the sole "Superpower" don't quite understand the times.

At the beginning of WW2,the USA was only one of a number of "Great Powers",& even by its end,was not in the pre-eminent position that it later attained.

If Japan had managed to effectively "Neutralise" Australia,the USA would have had a difficult job,with only small island bases to work from.
As it happened,Japan was the side in that position,but even,so,the "Pacific War" was a close-run thing.

The USSR entered the War against Japan late,but they did defeat, & capture many of, a large Japanese force in Manchuria,making Japan's continued claims to that territory academic.

Of course,it wasn't PC in the '50s to credit the USSR with anything,so that bit got left out of the history books.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #469 on: September 19, 2015, 01:12:54 am »
This case which essentially boils down to only a handful of persons in authority reacting stupidly has been blown all out of proportion.

Maybe Ahmed can be sent to a nice Islamic college instead, like this one:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/parents-have-vowed-to-continue-protests-and-boycotts-until-islamic-college-of-sa-board-resigns/story-fni6uo1m-1227348844895
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/may/15/islamic-school-allegations-to-be-investigated-by-christopher-pyne

Piano and singing is deemed evil and in the latest breaking news a person in authority at the school essentially abducted/harangued one of the male students off campus to barber have his un-islamic (probably deemed gay-looking or something) hair style cut.

As for Ahmed's fathers political and religious associations, for one he is involved with CAIR:

http://www.meforum.org/916/cair-islamists-fooling-the-establishment

There are a whole bunch of ultra-racist/homohpobic/anti-Semitic/female-repressive Islamic organizations like this, which put up a front of being organizations for fighting so-called "Islamophobia".

Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #470 on: September 19, 2015, 01:27:19 am »
Ok ok ok.
I took the thread header at face value "9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock".
The words that were used were "made a clock" ,"built a clock",  "invented a clock" which I loosely translated to "assembled a clock from paaaats". A'la Dave's exhibit that has more wires than a bowl of spaghetti and it even works!

Now it turns out a Micronta desk clock was taken apaaat  and repacked into a pencil case.

Hmmmmm......

Perhaps they wanted to teach a lesson against plagarism or making false claims and without using the correct tongue angle it kinda went sideways.

The thread should get changed to "...arrested ...for pretending he made the clock himself"

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #471 on: September 19, 2015, 01:32:08 am »
I know I don't hate the kid. I think that he is being played by Daddy who has been involved in some questionable stuff in the past and is looking for notoriety in his latter years.

I think you are looking for reasons to hate this kid.
and what does 'darling of the cia' mean?
btw, if I had to assign a credibility factor to the nsa, cia or fbi, it would be a very large negative number.  I find it so funny that you think that mentioning the cia actually COUNTS for any cred, these days!  LOL!!!

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #472 on: September 19, 2015, 01:35:00 am »
you haters are really 'reaching'.  it means you have nothing else valid to say about this event.

yes, its true, he did not design a clock or build it from scratch.  its also true that he overstated (as kids will often do) his accomplishment.

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?

seriously.  is that the best you haters have, on this kid?  that he boasted inaccurately about the build details of the clock project?

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #473 on: September 19, 2015, 01:56:09 am »
you haters are really 'reaching'.  it means you have nothing else valid to say about this event.

yes, its true, he did not design a clock or build it from scratch.  its also true that he overstated (as kids will often do) his accomplishment.

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?

seriously.  is that the best you haters have, on this kid?  that he boasted inaccurately about the build details of the clock project?

This thread is not being discussed here because he wrote a paper on expressionism and got flack for it. Nor because his Eggs Benedict sauce did or didn't taste good. Neither because he scored or didn't score with a "deflated" footbal.

So simmer down, and ease up on the caps lock key there  Mr 

I'd type more but I'd rather spend some time thinking what I can repackage and call "my own".
Perhaps I should do a voice over on other peoples videos and call it "my own".

Then if I get any flack,  blame it on people not liking people with "forn" (as in "foreign")  sounding names.

Or some such thing....
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Aryl

« Reply #474 on: September 19, 2015, 01:59:58 am »
Alright, I'm normally just a filthy lurker here but I thought I would share my perspective on this, having had similar things happen to me (THAT'S A BUNDLE OF WIRES! IT MUST BE A BOMB).

Copypasted from my slashdot post.

I've had similar things happen to me for dicking about with electronics and I'm as white as you can get.

For reference, this happened in a small town in Washington state and I am 22 years old.

I had my desk and backpack searched in grade school because some kids reported me to the principal for talking about fireworks ("Bombs" to them, It was July anyways) and told him I was looking up bombs on the computers (Electromagnets are apparently bombs). Of course I had random PCBs from shit I took apart in my backpack and that was damning enough evidence to call my parents and suspend me for a week (For "Disrupting the learning environment, a copout term when you piss off school administration but technically didn't break any rules). Cops were threatened but weren't called.

I was also (Without my parents knowledge) placed into a "special" class, consisting mostly of the "slow" kids where we got to talk about our feelings (By pointing to an expression on a plush cube). This was run by the school counselor.

According to her (school counselor) it was wrong to enjoy the things I enjoyed at the time (Average kid stuff for the most part. Drawing guns, playing video games, playing with soldering irons). I learned a few years ago after talking with my parents that she literally told them that I would be the next "Columbine kid" if they didn't put me on drugs to "fix" me (They didn't).

Same thing in middle school, again was looking up AVR tutorials in the library and a number of kids would come up behind me and yell out "IS THAT A BOMB!?" and variations of that. Again, all of my stuff searched, escorted by security, etc. Suspended for a few days for "abusing school computer privileges" because "School computers are not for learning whatever you want, your activities must relate to classwork".

In highschool I finally got a break, amazing teacher who had a back room lined with soldering irons and breadboards. We even started a F.I.R.S.T. robotics team before I graduated.

So please, don't give me bullshit about this only happening because of the color of his skin. Blame the school's lack of understanding and zero tolerance policies. Blame the culture of fear in this country, don't buy into this stereotypical "LOOK! LOOK! AMERICANS ARE RACIST" crap.

If anything, I would bet the only reason this story has taken off is because he was brown and race politics are all the rage these days.

It's the new "I am holier than thou" movement, it's the "I am the most tolerant of everything and everyone! LOOK HOW TOLERANT I AM! LOOK AT IT!".

There are a lot more victims of "Zero tolerance" policies than what you see in the news, stories like this and the poptart gun kid are more common than most people think.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 02:04:03 am by Aryl »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf