Author Topic: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.  (Read 182019 times)

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

AllenButler750

Re: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.
« Reply #376 on: September 18, 2015, 12:10:05 am »
I just need to say that i'm a little tired of the USA stereotyping that's going on here. The fact of the matter is that this kid build a clock into a suitcase that unless you have a moderate understanding of electronics look like it COULD be a bomb! The police even said that they didn't think it was a bomb, so now that puts this situation firmly in the realm of a "bomb hoax" and that is still a crime. Now lets say that the teacher said nothing and that this clock actually was a bomb and it goes off, Now what. Everyone is going to hold the school responsible for not catching this. I don't think this is an over reaction and its most defiantly not a race issue. Think of it from this point of view, It was the English teacher that had the issue with the clock. Most likely an English teacher isn't going to be an expert on all electronic devices since 1941. All the teacher knows is that there is an electronic device in a SUITCASE that has just beeped. If he has put a little more thought into the form factor of his clock then this situation would have turned out much different. On the subject of are us Americans paranoid, maybe a little, but have your countries repeatedly attacked and see how you start to react to things like this. Now having said all of that please know that i have no ill will towards any of you, but please keep an open mind of the context in which this happened. Thanks for letting me vent, you may now proceed to tell me off.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:12:12 am by AllenButler750 »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #377 on: September 18, 2015, 12:21:31 am »
Some of that stuff really justified an arrest but there was no malice involved, just technical curiosity.
I wasted far too much time using blue box diallers in the early 90s. The trick was to phone an international operator that still used system x type exchanges. I remember Bolivia was a good one. Its an 0800 freephone. Just when the call is routed but before the operater says Ola! you send the "kerchink" reset tone. Then you send the ccitt internal operator dtmf tones to route the call to the USA and one of the many "scene" Amiga BBS's. This is what we got up to before the internet! SupraFAX and USRobotics modems - 14.4kbps - 28.8kbps, finally 33.6kbps all with software upgrades. FidoNet was what we used for mail/forums.

Sigh...and if you tell the kids today, they won't believe you!

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #378 on: September 18, 2015, 12:22:45 am »
Well, you could just use the hookswitch to tap out the numbers the same frequency as the pulse dial mech. One method to get around payphones and parental dial key locks back in the 80's.

I was very good at that, spent too much time hacking public phones, including building small portable digital dialers. I didn't have a scope or counter at the time so also got good at counting the pulses.

Then I figured out that inserting a resistor in series with the connection to ground defeats the coin drop signal that was sent between the two phone lines and ground.

Some of that stuff really justified an arrest but there was no malice involved, just technical curiosity.
:)
Yah Me also.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline hamdi.tn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #379 on: September 18, 2015, 12:43:31 am »
but have your countries repeatedly attacked and see how you start to react to things like this. Now having said all of that please know that i have no ill will towards any of you, but please keep an open mind of the context in which this happened. Thanks for letting me vent, you may now proceed to tell me off.

first define repeatedly am sure since 9/11 no major incident happened in us, by major i mean nothing that couldn't happen or did not happen somewhere else in the world, second am sure most death in US are caused by crimes and accident or solder killed on duty (mostly invading someone else country for any good or bad reason ) ... how many on the list of dead ppl killed by clock made by 14 years old kid wearing nasa t-shirt .. None. can't agree more about the fact that talking about us citizen being some how paranoid is a typical stereotype and it's silly to generalise some individual thinking over entire Texas or us.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #380 on: September 18, 2015, 12:50:01 am »
Yah Me also.

I was counting the pulses by looking at the needle of an analog voltmeter. :)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #381 on: September 18, 2015, 01:04:02 am »
I guess you haven't been to Houston or San Antonio ether, both have rather large gay communities.

Yup Flyover attitude infects this one.
Never been outside of Kalifornia

what is the PREVAILING texas attitude toward gay marriage?  be honest.  don't tell me about 'communities'; every state and country has that.  but what is the official view by the politicians (every one of them) and the voter base, as a whole?

(Using your criteria for 'progress')

Didn't the people of California rejected state recognition of same sex marriage when it was on the ballot?

Also, Texas had a female governor. Can you say the same about California?

I propose more tolerance towards the citizenry of other states. Our bubble is not some magical universal center of truth.

Offline cimmo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #382 on: September 18, 2015, 01:13:44 am »
Here's The Ridiculous Texas Law That Allows Law Enforcement To Pretend A Digital Clock Is A Hoax Bomb
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150916/18421332279/how-texas-law-enforcement-can-legally-turn-digital-clock-into-criminal-charges.shtml
Sec. 46.08. HOAX BOMBS.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly manufactures, sells, purchases, transports, or possesses a hoax bomb with intent to use the hoax bomb to:

(1) make another believe that the hoax bomb is an explosive or incendiary device; or

(2) cause alarm or reaction of any type by an official of a public safety agency or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies.
Makes sense to me that this is a law.
Any country, I repeat to be clear, any country in the world that has an international airport has these rules. Any official on an airport that has the smallest idea that someone has some device like that, or even a person that makes a joke about it gets arrested these days.

The whole definition is dependent on a) does it look like a (hoax)bomb? A telephone as the lawyer gives as a stupid example does not look like a (hoax)bomb so A) is not applicable so the subsections are not either.
The whole question with the kid is if his device could look like a (hoax) bomb. I saw the picture, it was in a aluminium suitcase, wires loose, large pro pcb (ripped from another device obviously) you tell me, can someone think this might be a (hoax) bomb?
You have a very interesting way of interpreting that law.
Two key words that you have completely ignored are these: KNOWINGLY and INTENT.
Why did you do that?

Why do you continue to blame the victim of this outrage, when almost the entire world has spoken out in support of the kid? The whole concept of "innocent until proven guilty" seems to be outside of your ken. If anything, a CHILD should be afforded this right to an even greater extent than an adult.

And the kid's clock was NOT in a "suitcase", but a much smaller "pencil case".
What precisely is your hidden agenda - or are you just pig-headed and simply want to have an argument?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:22:20 am by cimmo »
Noise filter is set to ignore: Zapta, dunkemhigh, dannyf

Offline aroby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #383 on: September 18, 2015, 01:15:20 am »
On the subject of are us Americans paranoid, maybe a little, but have your countries repeatedly attacked and see how you start to react to things like this.

You are joking, right?  Repeatedly attacked? Like the UK with the IRA (supported vocally by the Kennedys), for example?  The US is the most powerful, and most paranoid country in the world.

Offline cimmo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #384 on: September 18, 2015, 01:30:33 am »
On the subject of are us Americans paranoid, maybe a little, but have your countries repeatedly attacked and see how you start to react to things like this.
An American playing the victim card with regard to international geopolitics.
How cute.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:32:46 am by cimmo »
Noise filter is set to ignore: Zapta, dunkemhigh, dannyf

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #385 on: September 18, 2015, 01:38:37 am »
Ahmed has probably seen this blog, given its one of the largest electronics hobbyist blogs around. It would be great to hear his side of the whole story in detail.

All I can say is that when a young person is scared away from an electronics hobby by idiocy like that it is a very real tragedy.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:00:22 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline calin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #386 on: September 18, 2015, 01:38:55 am »
Literally a bunch of idiots with the brain up their arses .. absolutely outrageous  :wtf:   

Here is what I wold do ...

1) Fire the moron principal that has suspended the kid!!! where the hell is the school going to end with idiots like that "teaching" .. that is not teaching of course.
2) Fire the idiot teacher that has taken the kids clock in the first place .. an even bigger idiot which should not be left to see any kids because it dumb-ifes them. Put him to teach creationism to bacterias for life , he may be considered smart there.
3) The police trooper that were there .. all 5 of them tie them together and then by a huge brick .. throw them in a lake .. maybe that way they learn some physics. What is heavy does not float .. and stupidity is very heavy ... they wold live is it was just for the huge brick :) .
4) Put the kid make a real bomb . I am sure that is going to blow up not like the ones idiot terrorists make. Test it on the above ones, that will actually raise the intelligence level of the region considerably :)

Now if I think in retrospective I've must have really pissed off the priest when I told him that I think a physician is much more close to God than him
  :-DD

Offline knks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #387 on: September 18, 2015, 01:40:50 am »
How cute.
It was probably a typo. Did he want to say "repeatedly attacked other countries" ?

Offline Co6aka

• Supporter
« Reply #388 on: September 18, 2015, 02:08:24 am »
"The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430484/
Co6aka says, "BARK! and you have no idea how humans will respond."

Offline LabSpokaneTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #389 on: September 18, 2015, 03:25:55 am »
I really like Ahmed's parents and family. In the midst of what was a very trying and hurtful time, they still rose to the occasion. They practiced the tradition of Islamic hospitality and fed all of the reporters at their home.

That takes character.  :-+

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
Re: Blab Suggestion: Stupid People
« Reply #390 on: September 18, 2015, 04:22:01 am »

Disgusting.

In Texas, there are 25 million men, women and children; and 22 million guns. That's not freedom. That's stupidity on a massive scale.

The US can fix its national stupidity by disarming its population.

Both easier said than done.

I happen to live in Texas and personally take offense to your remark.  Texas is rich with culture and diversity, maybe you should check out the facts and actually live here before you make these assumptions. 
Regarding your comment of disarming the US population, how do you plan on disarming the Criminals?

My 2c worth

FACT: I DID LIVE IN TEXAS. In Austin, over 2 years in the 90's. And I was back in Austin and in north central TX too in 2006 ... Sherman, Bonham, Whitewright, Bels, and little Savoy, having visited friends there and stayed a few weeks before visiting old friends in Austin. I found Texas a great place overall. 

When I was living in Austin, a fellow Aussie has a gun pulled on him in Houston. And another Aussie colleague on asignment there has his wife and kids accidentally walk into a argument where guns were drawn at the HEB carpark.

My argument is this... whilst most gun owners are responsible, the more guns you have the higher the probability of some of them falling into the hands of criminals or mentally unstable individuals, like the disturbed bastard who murdered those young kids at Sandy Hook.

I don't mean to offend you, but having 22 MILLION guns around 25 MILLION people is stupid.

Our government under John Howard disarmed us, but only after some mongrel shot dead 35 people in Tasmania. Disarming us was a great decision under strong leadership. There are not many guns here and there are very few death by gun shots. I feel safe walking here any time day or night.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #391 on: September 18, 2015, 04:34:08 am »
I feel safe walking here any time day or night.

Geez, come to Perth and see if you can wander through the central night spots after 10pm and not get glassed or knifed.

Offline nugglix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #392 on: September 18, 2015, 05:15:43 am »
How cute.

Well phrased, thank you sir!

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #393 on: September 18, 2015, 05:28:01 am »
The German news headline made out of it:

"US-Präsident Obama lädt Bombenbastler ins Weiße Haus ein"
http://www.focus.de/digital/videos/ungewoehnliche-geschichte-us-praesident-obama-laedt-bombenbastler-ins-weisse-haus-ein_id_4954045.html

"US President Obama invited bomb tinkerer to the white house"
I assumed Focus has at least a little bit quality (but of course not as good as e.g. Spiegel). Good to know that now it is at the same level as Bild-Zeitung, so I can just ignore it.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #394 on: September 18, 2015, 06:18:21 am »
"US President Obama invited bomb tinkerer to the white house"

Was it Bill Ayers?

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #395 on: September 18, 2015, 07:21:57 am »
I assumed Focus has at least a little bit quality (but of course not as good as e.g. Spiegel). Good to know that now it is at the same level as Bild-Zeitung, so I can just ignore it.
Yes, that was my conclusion too.
It is unreal how something straight forward (as far as we know) can be twisted by the media.

Would be interesting to know, if this 9th Grader had a mentor or if he learned on his own.
It is really great to see that there are some young people with a hobby in electronics.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline MikeW

• Regular Contributor
  • Self confessed noob
« Reply #396 on: September 18, 2015, 07:51:23 am »
Unbelievable that people are actually trying to defend this.

At absolute worst the kid should have been given a little chat about it.

To actually call the police and arrest him and handcuff him... there are no words...  :palm:

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #397 on: September 18, 2015, 08:37:34 am »
I feel safe walking here any time day or night.

Geez, come to Perth and see if you can wander through the central night spots after 10pm and not get glassed or knifed.

Thousands of people do just that!

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #398 on: September 18, 2015, 08:51:25 am »
To actually call the police and arrest him and handcuff him... there are no words...  :palm:
This loosely goes back to my thread a few weeks ago... on the fact that bureaucrats and responsible authorities are no longer permitted to think or develop subjective solutions targeted to individual situations... 
They are expected to follow objective risk protocols and templates developed by lawyers and actuaries (I'm sure they're both very nice people), but have absolutely no idea what is happening or needed at the front line, as those exploratory sessions needed to assess a broader range of options are not in the budget. (the budgets are spent on overseas study trips)

The result is that subjective 'almonds' are being smashed with 'objective' hammers!
Albeit at 'reduced cost' to the taxpayer.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #399 on: September 18, 2015, 09:36:02 am »
You have a very interesting way of interpreting that law.
Two key words that you have completely ignored are these: KNOWINGLY and INTENT.
Why did you do that?
Indeed you can discuss if the kid knowingly did that. Point made.

Why do you continue to blame the victim of this outrage, when almost the entire world has spoken out in support of the kid?

No it is not that binary. I don't blame him for the outrage and the rediculous results like the arrest, I agree totally way out of proportion.
That is what the outrage is all about, that is the second part.
I do blame him for the first part, as any other kid (like mine few months ago) from bringing something to school that was not discussed before and should not be there.
School rules dictate what a student may or may not do. And a lot of schools have explicit rules not to bring stuff to school that might disrupt class, like balls, ipads, pets etc.
You can argue what you want but if you want to learn at a school you have to obey school rules.

The whole concept of "innocent until proven guilty" seems to be outside of your ken.

I personally don't find him guilty for producing a hoax bomb, but do find him guilty for crossing school rules and disrupting class as he admitted, the clock beeped in class,
How again can a mains powered clock beep in class? Are we all sure that was an accident and not a prank he ofcourse will now never ever admit?
Are you sure about that? I am not. I am not sure it was an accident, but also not sure it was deliberate. So let's give him the favour of doubt in that one.

If anything, a CHILD should be afforded this right to an even greater extent than an adult.
Agree, most countries already have that. Sentences for children are much less harsh for the same offense as adults.

And the kid's clock was NOT in a "suitcase", but a much smaller "pencil case".
The foto is what was shown, that is what I and you should react on, I don't know pictures of a pencil case and frankly looking at the size of the pcb
I do not think that will fit, do you? Or what kind of pencil cases do they have in Australia? Here they are max. about 15 to 20cm long.

What precisely is your hidden agenda - or are you just pig-headed and simply want to have an argument?
I do not have a hidden agenda I just think and feel that if the police was not called we would not have this discussion, would we?
The whole outrage is over the absurd reaction of the police on this matter. And I agree, rediculous. But that is just the second part of this drama.

I tend to focus on the first. A lot of people here think it is ok to bring anything to school to show off, consequences of that action are for the rest of the world,
not for them. A lot of parents think their kids are great and teachers stupid although the teachers often spent more time with their kids then they do.
They fail to see that it is the kids and their responsibility to prevent such things from happening in the first place.
Why did his father/mother not know that he was bringing this device? Do his parents know what he is doing building? Is there any contact?
Should he have asked if he was allowed to bring the device? I think he should have. Why? Because it is agains school law to do this, he might not know but his parents would.
Now if he asked his father he probably would have said to ask the science teacher first. Then nothing would have happened, maybe even the teacher would have spent an hour
in class to discuss the project. That would have been great.

But I stop now, since obviously I get the impression that everybody here thinks kids should take anything everywhere.
Those that do, check your childs suitcase before taking an international flight or your holiday might look completely different than you imagined.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf