Author Topic: How much is a fair price for a Fluke 287 with these conditions ?  (Read 17401 times)

Offline BravoVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
With the following conditions, its a new old stock, never been used and still in the original Fluke carton box, but its not sealed though.

All accessories like probes/alligator clips and manual are there, the only missing item is the CD.  :-[

Whats that CD for ? Just plain soft copy of the documents ?

Edit : Just to avoid misunderstanding, I'm not selling, its just I've been offered by local shop here, the box is a bit crushed and few corners are damaged, and + the missing CD, thats why they're offering me with a discounted price, its just I have no idea the fair price is ? Personally I don't need those stinking box.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:54:06 am by BravoV »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: How much is a fair price for a Fluke 287 with these conditions ?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 06:20:10 am »
My comments.

Amazon USA has it for $450 USD + free shipping.  Amazon has an amazing return policy.

If the local shop is an authorized Fluke dealer (check with Fluke HQ), then I would say $400 might be a fair price for an open box.  If they are not an authorized dealer (i.e. pawn shop), then you are giving up the "lifetime warranty".  If that is the case, then I suggest $300 might be a fair price.

Be aware that the new old stock 287 is likely not to have the latest firmware as per below

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-287-289-firmware-update-version-1-16-now-posted/

If you have cable to upgrade it, that is no problem.  If you don't then the cable might cost a few $$$. With Amazon, you are likely, but not guaranteed, to get latest firmware (it was released in May 2013).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:22:56 am by retiredcaps »

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 06:59:59 am »
The 287-289 cable costs about 40€.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 07:49:13 am »
the cd is only documentation like the one you get in that thick manual, and the flukeview software. but its only for the fvf kit and the cable is in that package too not the normal meter itself box

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 11:03:55 pm »
Really appreciate for the replies, thanks guys.  :-+

If the local shop is an authorized Fluke dealer (check with Fluke HQ), then I would say $400 might be a fair price for an open box.  If they are not an authorized dealer (i.e. pawn shop), then you are giving up the "lifetime warranty".  If that is the case, then I suggest $300 might be a fair price.
This, is what I was expecting to hear, thank you.  :-+

Yes, I forgot to mention that its a grey market product, not worry though cause I've been a customer for that brick & mortar shop for long time and I trust them, besides by chances, this Fluke 287 should not be a wimpy product that be broken by it self easily, isn't it ?

Its used for display only at the shop, and the lcd screen still has the original protective plastic film on it. Its just the box was not stored properly and somehow get crushed/damaged and the CD probably is misplaced somewhere.

Current offering is about $330, and also to buy it, I need to visit the shop, allowed to do some physical inspection & brief testing. And the best part as traditional transaction, I may have a chance to do some bargaining.

So, if I managed to squeeze it, say < $300, this should be good price right ?

Be aware that the new old stock 287 is likely not to have the latest firmware as per below

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-287-289-firmware-update-version-1-16-now-posted/

If you have cable to upgrade it, that is no problem.  If you don't then the cable might cost a few $$$. With Amazon, you are likely, but not guaranteed, to get latest firmware (it was released in May 2013).

A lot of great infos in that thread there, and didn't know Fluke is still supporting and keep releasing firmware for this 28x model.  :-+

About the usb->ir cable, I think I will go thru the diy route instead of buying one.  :P

the cd is only documentation like the one you get in that thick manual, and the flukeview software. but its only for the fvf kit and the cable is in that package too not the normal meter itself box
So I'm assuming that flukeview software can be downloaded from fluke's website, and it should be the same as the one that came with the cd, am I correct ?

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 02:42:22 am »
No FlukeView is a separate software package - that is only in the bundle models that come with IR Cable. They do pop up on eBay for $40-$200..

And check the date on the meter - there has been several hardware revisions. I got a almost brand new 287 for $240 on eBay - with softcase and IR cable.

And it is still a current meter - which is why you get software updates :)

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 03:40:15 am »
kaz911, so for plain jane version of Fluke 28X without IR cable, that CD is not supposed to be bundled ?

Do you know whats the latest hardware revision ?

Thanks btw.  :-+
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 03:43:50 am by BravoV »

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 03:56:16 am »
kaz911, so for plain jane version of Fluke 28X without IR cable, that CD is not supposed to be bundled ?

Do you know whats the latest hardware revision ?

Thanks btw.  :-+

There are 2 CD's in the "bundle" version - one with manuals - the other with FlukeView Forms.

The non-bundle has a CD with Manuals only.

I don't remember the HW versions - but next time I plug in my 287 i'll start the firmware update software - it shows the hardware revisions :)

For $400-$550 you can get the 289 FLV Bundle on eBay - which includes the IR cable and FlukeView forms.

So being the @ bargain @ hunter I am - I would start by offering them $260 for the bare meter. :) with an invoice so you can register it and get full warranty. And if you like it and they resist - then move slowly towards $300. If they want more than $300 forget it - and find one on eBay.  But buying on eBay takes time to find the right one at the right price.  So that is best for people who are not in a hurry.

It is a great meter due to the logging capability. But it is power hungry and will eat batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 04:08:56 am »
Thats the plan to get approx at $250 or even better out of that deal, and also as a bargain hunter, I see the luxury of having a physical inspection + brief testing worth some value in $ too, compared to buying things online which carries certain risks.

Regarding FlukeView, I guess I'm out of luck.  :-\

You're right, the primary reason I'm interested in this high end Fluke handheld DMM is it's logging capability, and I need a "reliable & dependable" hand held tool that can carry out this task smoothly. It will be coupled working in tandem with my recently bought Tektronix THS710A handheld scope+dmm.

Btw, do Eneloop cells work well in this battery sucking beastie DMM ? For how long ?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 04:14:52 am by BravoV »

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 05:10:54 am »
Thats the plan to get approx at $250 or even better out of that deal, and also as a bargain hunter, I see the luxury of having a physical inspection + brief testing worth some value in $ too, compared to buying things online which carries certain risks.

Regarding FlukeView, I guess I'm out of luck.  :-\

You're right, the primary reason I'm interested in this high end Fluke handheld DMM is it's logging capability, and I need a "reliable & dependable" hand held tool that can carry out this task smoothly. It will be coupled working in tandem with my recently bought Tektronix THS710A handheld scope+dmm.

Btw, do Eneloop cells work well in this battery sucking beastie DMM ? For how long ?

I cant get eneloop batteries here. But it does not like the lower cell voltage of rechargeables - so they will work but not for long before it claims it needs more juice.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 05:28:26 am »
For the 287, I would inspect the battery compartment for any corrosion if the batteries were left inside.  Also make sure the expensive HRC fuses are good in case someone demonstrated the multimeter incorrectly.

The lowest price I have seen on ebay for a NIB Fluke 287 (recently) is $275 + $12.35 s/h.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251358919861

Duane Smith posted this on FlukeNation a while back "Can I use 1.2 V NiMH AA batteries with Fluke 289?"

http://flukenation.com/posts/bfa022612f

posted June 6, 2008 by DuaneS
"We don't any data on performance with anything other than alkaline batteries but here are the approximate threshholds. Your mileage may vary. Full >8.4V Partly empty 3, 7.8-8.4V Partly empty 2, 7.2-7.8V Partly empty 1, 6.6-7.2V Amost empty, 5.4-6.4V Empty 5.4, meter shuts down"

Duane Smith is Sr. Sales Support Engineer at Fluke Corporation
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/duane-smith/11/434/436

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 06:27:39 am »
I cant get eneloop batteries here. But it does not like the lower cell voltage of rechargeables - so they will work but not for long before it claims it needs more juice.
Wow .. that is really surprising to hear that :o, I thought all this times the Eneloop brand rules the world when it comes to top tier consumer NiMH battery at AA or AAA size cells ? :-//

For the 287, I would inspect the battery compartment for any corrosion if the batteries were left inside.  Also make sure the expensive HRC fuses are good in case someone demonstrated the multimeter incorrectly.

The lowest price I have seen on ebay for a NIB Fluke 287 (recently) is $275 + $12.35 s/h.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251358919861
Ok, I am very firm now, will try to squeeze out at below $300, thanks for the pricing infos, this is what I want, to get the feel the on price, before this I was basically clueless and didn't have any idea what the approximate fair pricing, great.  :clap:

Don't worry, as I said, I'm allowed to do the physical inspection, the battery terminals and the HRC fuses will definitely in my priority check list.  :-+

Duane Smith posted this on FlukeNation a while back "Can I use 1.2 V NiMH AA batteries with Fluke 289?"

http://flukenation.com/posts/bfa022612f

posted June 6, 2008 by DuaneS
"We don't any data on performance with anything other than alkaline batteries but here are the approximate threshholds. Your mileage may vary. Full >8.4V Partly empty 3, 7.8-8.4V Partly empty 2, 7.2-7.8V Partly empty 1, 6.6-7.2V Amost empty, 5.4-6.4V Empty 5.4, meter shuts down"

Duane Smith is Sr. Sales Support Engineer at Fluke Corporation
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/duane-smith/11/434/436
Ok, at least I know what to expect when using NiMH cell on this Fluke 287, basically I have tons this Eneloop batteries and mostly used in my photography gadgets dan flashlights. Personally, I really hate to use alkaline cells because of the leaks.  >:(

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 06:40:46 am »
Ok, at least I know what to expect when using NiMH cell on this Fluke 287, basically I have tons this Eneloop batteries and mostly used in my photography gadgets dan flashlights.
In datalogging mode, the 287 with fresh akalines runs for about 200 hours according to the manual.

If someone knows the discharge rate or current consumption of the 287, then you can look at the eneloop datasheet and compare.

If I'm reading the graph correctly, at 100mA discharge rate, you almost get 1900mAh with voltage > 1.2.

http://www.eneloop.info/home/technology/capacity.html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 07:00:09 am by retiredcaps »

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 07:33:17 am »
Googled for this Fluke 28x + Nimh battery topic hoping to find a good reference, since its obvious this must be discussed before somewhere, and while reading at the google results .. lo & behold, one of the entries is pointing back in this forum  :-DD.

Here it is -> NimH batteries for Fluke 287/289 , enough said, read it your self, its all good with NiMH cell.   :-+

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 08:15:37 pm »
i run my 289 with black/purple markings 2500mah eneloops when the cells are fully charged it shows full battery. it runs for me almost twice as the original duracells did, best of all it wont corrode the terminals, yeah the fluke software can be downloaded from them. the software has no protection at all so their "demo" runs just as fine as you install from their disk. for the diy cable well getting a mating connector made for it even on a 3d part would be the hard part. rest is just a damn serial to usb converter from the data what the windows says i never popped mine apart so cant give you details. i think the internals mostly the same for the 2 meter, mine have a rev3 board according to the meter info and its made around 2012 january according to the cal data

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 09:42:28 pm »
I cant get eneloop batteries here.
The Duracell "stay charged" white colored top that are made in Japan are widely rumored to be eneloops rebranded.  Search for "duraloop" and you will find lots of threads and evidence.

They come in 2000mAh or 2400mAh just like the eneloops.

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 03:56:27 am »
My 289 works perfect with Eneloop (2000 mAh).

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 05:34:31 am »
M. András & quarks, great to hear that eneloop does really perform there, yes, no more damn alkaline, I'm happy now.  :-+

Btw, with a full charged Eneloop cells, say I just need the dmm to do data logging just for 2 to 3 hours, this should not be problem right ?

Just wish me luck, hoping I can get a good bargain there and going to visit the shop in few days.  :P

... the fluke software can be downloaded from them. the software has no protection at all so their "demo" runs just as fine as you install from their disk.
Cool & thanks !  :clap: But I will not have the "disk" or the CD, will that be a problem ?

for the diy cable well getting a mating connector made for it even on a 3d part would be the hard part. rest is just a damn serial to usb converter from the data what the windows says i never popped mine apart so cant give you details.

Currently I just need that IR->USB cable for upgrading the firmware only, although I don't know yet which version in there, it should be quite old since it has been used as a display unit for a while.  :-//

From below photos, its based on the common FTDI FT232RL chip, should not be a big deal if just for one off firmware upgrade with DIY cable. But if there is a need for logging constantly, I will consider to buy the Fluke IR189USB cable, agree after looking at the dmm's IR port physical shape, it will be much less hassle if I need a firm & reliable IR connection.

Here the teardown photos of the Fluke IR189USB, from here -> Sigrok's reference on Fluke IR189USB

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 10:11:56 am »
I have not noticed a difference in runtime between Alkaline and my Eneloops. Your 3h datalogging is a short time and no problem. I have not done real longtime datalogging, but my guess is, it is no significant difference to Alkaline. BTW so far for my use one charge per year is all I did.

My IR/USB adapter looks identical to your picture and has a sticker Rev. II on it. But I do not know what is changed.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:13:34 am by quarks »

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 02:03:49 pm »
i ran mine on whole days for logging mains during storms etc the black 2500mah eneloops outperforms the alkaline batteries, if i remember right you can do 2days approx with only a bar's charge from the battery. btw BravoV the meter can do days of datalogging if the intervals set for good, however when logging to pc via the cable it sends data as quick as the display updates normally so you can log multiple times more datapoints to the pc then to the internal memory, when i played with it i think somewhere around 3-5 sample/s to the pc while on internal logging 1/s is the max plus the threshold changes, you can set that too. if you need i can give you an approximate dimensions on the ir cable even if i have time i can make a 3d model of the mating side too i can measure the thing down to 0.01mm mitutoyo digital calipers are fantastic :)

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 03:21:17 pm »
i ran mine on whole days for logging mains during storms etc the black 2500mah eneloops outperforms the alkaline batteries, if i remember right you can do 2days approx with only a bar's charge from the battery. btw BravoV the meter can do days of datalogging if the intervals set for good, however when logging to pc via the cable it sends data as quick as the display updates normally so you can log multiple times more datapoints to the pc then to the internal memory, when i played with it i think somewhere around 3-5 sample/s to the pc while on internal logging 1/s is the max plus the threshold changes, you can set that too.

Great, didn't know that when connected to PC the sampling speed is increasing by multiple folds.

if you need i can give you an approximate dimensions on the ir cable even if i have time i can make a 3d model of the mating side too i can measure the thing down to 0.01mm mitutoyo digital calipers are fantastic :)

How can one rejects such a generous offer ? Yes please, and thanks a lot.  :-+

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 05:31:26 pm »
i ran mine on whole days for logging mains during storms etc the black 2500mah eneloops outperforms the alkaline batteries, if i remember right you can do 2days approx with only a bar's charge from the battery. btw BravoV the meter can do days of datalogging if the intervals set for good, however when logging to pc via the cable it sends data as quick as the display updates normally so you can log multiple times more datapoints to the pc then to the internal memory, when i played with it i think somewhere around 3-5 sample/s to the pc while on internal logging 1/s is the max plus the threshold changes, you can set that too.

Great, didn't know that when connected to PC the sampling speed is increasing by multiple folds.

if you need i can give you an approximate dimensions on the ir cable even if i have time i can make a 3d model of the mating side too i can measure the thing down to 0.01mm mitutoyo digital calipers are fantastic :)

How can one rejects such a generous offer ? Yes please, and thanks a lot.  :-+
if i remember correctly i could zoom into the logsheet's graph between the 1 second intervals and see changes within it. so thats why i say it logs more then 1/s to pc. i dont have a scope or similar to look at the data packets on the adapter,
as for the measurements may take a few days as my dayjob takes almost my full weekdays

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 07:21:13 am »
Scored for $220, apparently there was a misunderstanding, its not an old display unit. Actually its quite new (manufactured in April 2013), and it was only used shortly in an exhibition for display unit inside an encased display glass box. Looks like one of their employee misplaced the CD and the manual somewhere, so not only the cd is missing as I was told before. Actually its good news, used that missing manual to bargain for even more.

@retiredcaps, remembered your concerns about the battery compartment and the fuses, took close up shots on that parts just for you, and again, thanks for the reminder.

Few shots below bragging my new 287.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 08:13:54 am by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 09:11:49 am »
Scored for $220,
I don't need a Fluke 287, but if I got the same deal, I would get it.  :-+

@retiredcaps, remembered your concerns about the battery compartment and the fuses, took close up shots on that parts just for you, and again, thanks for the reminder.
Battery corrosion could lead to this type of ebay auction ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141095894939

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 04:18:49 pm »
if you can get another for 250bucks im in for one . i need a second meter anyways :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf