Author Topic: FS: BRAND NEW Keysight(Agilent) MSOX3104T 1GHz Mixed-Signal Oscilloscope  (Read 24857 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
The universal question:
Any ideas as to where I can find a buyer?

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
I think we all know can guess from where this scope is coming from.
Forum rage alert >:D |O

I don't see a problem with selling a high end scope you won. It's more scope than most people need, and see the other thread on whether or not you'd sell a $250k Porsche if you won it.

It's not any more of a problem than announcing you are putting up your newborn up for adoption in a fertility forum....
The thing with the Porsche, which I would probably keep for at least 6 months before selling it so I can get two used ones in different colors, is that a free oscilloscope costs nothing to keep. No gas, no insurance, no worring about it getting dinged up at the parking lot or getting car jacked.  It's like a never ending tub of icecream. No matter how much you eat, there is always more.

Most entered the scope contest to win a keeper. And those people feel sad and wierd and funny about it.
I kinda missed the whole contest thing, I didn't enter. But I know had I won one, it would be on the bench, or next to my side of the bed or on the breakfast table for the first few weeksat least!
..and I would feel sad, wierd, and funny reading about someone trying to unload theirs...

BTW there was a new in box on ebay for 7K and it didn't sell (not through Ebay at least).

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
BTW there was a new in box on ebay for 7K and it didn't sell (not through Ebay at least).

Min bid was set a 7,000 and was up for 10 days, no one put money on it.

There was another mso3104t used but rated as flawless condition (pictures looked like it, with all manuals papers, probes etc), with following options "ALL,MSO*,MEMMAX*,EMBD*,AUTO*,FLEX*,PWR*,COMP*,SGM*,MASK&,AUDIO*,DIS*,EDK*,WAVEGEN*,AERO*,VID*,ADVMATCH*,DVMCTR*,RML* & SENSOR"
The seller accepted an offer below $6,700.00 for it (ebay hides actual price)

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
60% of the MRSP would be my guess. Minus the US taxmadness he has to pay as the winner. It's just not worth it, imho. I would feel really really really bad to give away such a nice piece of equipment for such a ridiculous low profit  :(  :(  :(

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
60% of the MRSP would be my guess. Minus the US taxmadness he has to pay as the winner. It's just not worth it, imho. I would feel really really really bad to give away such a nice piece of equipment for such a ridiculous low profit  :(  :(  :(

Stick it up with $10k or something on ebay and just leave it there, doesn't cost you anything, see if you get a bite.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
That's the thing ... with only one item to sell, you only have to find one buyer that will pay it.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
for $13000 you can get a premium used msox4104 at keysight ebay store ....
I agree $7000 is already too high for this msox3104t "not used" ( but not new)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Since that $6700 sold below asking, $5000-6000 would probably be a good price to move it (though outside my budget). But, like Dave said, it doesn't cost you anything to put up a listing at $10k and see what happens. Then, decide how much you really need to get for it and still be worthwhile.

Ask yourself, would you rather have a $16k scope sitting around for who knows how long, $10k some months from now, or $5000 in a couple of weeks?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:23:42 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
I bought a MSO-X3104 new from the keysight ebay store a couple years ago and paid much much less.
So much less than MSRP, that I was surprised.

Realistically, I think you can expect about half of your asking price, if you want to sell it in an short time frame.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
it's still a shame for all those people here that participated in the contest only to re sell this $$$ but too complicated thing ASAP
compared to all forum users here hopping to have a very good scope on their bench,
not counting all these not able to participate because their country was not allowed to ...

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
I think If I was trying to sell it and didn't need the money right away, I'd do what Dave is suggesting. Put it up $9999.99 and let it sit. The only thing I could see against it would be the warranty ticking away a bit or if keysight is near a scope refresh.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
Quite honestly, I would do the same.
1GHz scope with only 4M of memory isn't worth $13.5k, at least for me.

Any old TDS7000 is better than this in every aspect and only costs 20%, so you could buy 5 of them if you sell it. Even the cheapest Rigol has more memory. High end analog Teks have similar bandwith and are far more fixable. If you fry it, you loose $13.5k, whereas if you fry a 7A29, you loose like 100$.

Offline RiverTown

• Regular Contributor
I think we all know can guess from where this scope is coming from.
Forum rage alert >:D |O

I don't see a problem with selling a high end scope you won. It's more scope than most people need, and see the other thread on whether or not you'd sell a $250k Porsche if you won it.
Hi, Dave..
I don't see a problem with selling a high end scope you won, and spending a part of  money on some other test equipment or cheaper scope. We all can agree that 1 GHz bandwidth scope is niche product with high price, and most of people don't need so high bandwith. So there is great chance that they will sell it, and buy something that better suit their needs.

But I see problem if a winner already have similar scope (so he really don't need another similar product), but he had entered just to resell the prize if he wins. My opinion is that he shouldn't have entered competition on the first place because he don't need a scope, nor a better scope.

Other type of contestants that I have problem with are the ones who don't have any interest in electronics whatsoever. They aren't EEs or hobbyists, they have just heard about competition in which they can win high value prize, that can be sold for a profit. They don't have a clue about the device itself, or about its features, and usage. OP could easily be described type of winner, because he knows just a basic things about scope (brochure specifications). He didn't even know how to check which software options he has installed, and of course ad is listed just a day after he recieved the prize.

Ok, I agree this is more story of moral and etc. But for me it still leaves bitter taste in my mouth, and doesn't sound right.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 11:59:10 am by RiverTown »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Feels a bit wrong to win and sell it but I will admit that if I'd won then I'd probably be doing the same thing to fund the purchase of a wider range of second hand test gear that's more suited to my needs.

That 'scope is way too much 'scope for my needs so it'd buy me a whole heap of gear that's far more useful to me.

Right at the moment I'm trying to figure out what I can sell and how much overtime I'll have to work to buy myself a halfway decent SA so all power to the winner if he's got a better use for the cash.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Other type of contestants that I have problem with are the ones who don't have any interest in electronics whatsoever. They aren't EEs or hobbyists, they have just heard about competition in which they can win high value prize, that can be sold for a profit.
Ok, I agree this is more story of moral and etc. But for me it still leaves bitter taste in my mouth, and doesn't sound right.
Just look at it from the bright side: a chance to buy a scope for much less than the original price.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Other type of contestants that I have problem with are the ones who don't have any interest in electronics whatsoever. They aren't EEs or hobbyists, they have just heard about competition in which they can win high value prize, that can be sold for a profit.
Just look at it from the bright side: a chance to buy a scope for much less than the original price.

Do you mean it's like a 'halfway house' opportunity for those who wanted to win a Keysight scope...?

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
Other type of contestants that I have problem with are the ones who don't have any interest in electronics whatsoever. They aren't EEs or hobbyists, they have just heard about competition in which they can win high value prize, that can be sold for a profit. They don't have a clue about the device itself, or about its features, and usage.

I used to frequent some of the deals sites (slickdeals, etc) where discounts or sales are often announced.  many people were disgusted by the so-called 'flippers' who ONLY came to buy and resell at a profit.  one of the reasons it pisses people off (on those sites) is that there may be a limited amount of some item (clearance) and if some flipper comes in just to scoop them all up and resell on ebay, it denies the people who really did want the item the chance to get it.

some people feel a sense of fairness and community.  others see the world as theirs to do whatever they want in.

I ended up leaving those deals sites since I can't really stomach the flipper mentality and it seems that most of those sites have been overrun by resales vultures.

not saying this is anything like that, but some vetting of entrants might have been a good idea, to try to ensure that the prize would truly be appreciated and valued (and USED!) by the recipient.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
Since that $6700 sold below asking, $5000-6000...

It sold for $5000.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
not saying this is anything like that, but some vetting of entrants might have been a good idea, to try to ensure that the prize would truly be appreciated and valued (and USED!) by the recipient.
If you read the rules of Keysight's contest then you'll read Keysight expects the winners to create a video showing how they use their oscilloscope. That is kinda hard to do without the scope. But then again: the money obtained from selling the scope could be put towards more pressing financial matters and help people out a lot.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Since that $6700 sold below asking, $5000-6000...

It sold for $5000.

Ha! I should've sold it for him and gotten a 10% commission. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Iwanushka

• Frequent Contributor
What the heck 3500 american for the scope including shipping, offer ends in 24h
When all you've got is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail.- Attrition.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
After taxes and time spent, the financial gain seems to be modest at best. I am guessing the OP was counting on a $10k gain. Enter contests for cars, houses, or cash if that is the goal.

Sent from my horrible mobile....

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Coincidentally, a used "Buy it Now" for $8.7k from the land of the fruit company... (no relationship with the seller)

(edit) fixed the link... Duh!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 09:04:40 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
BTW. I got an email from Keysight today offering 30% off the list price, if you trade in your (any) old scope.

Offline RiverTown

• Regular Contributor
Coincidentally, a used http://r.ebay.com/8Ja6pw] "Buy it Now" for $8.7k[/url] from the land of the fruit company... (no relationship with the seller)
Working link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agilent-MSOX3104A-1-GHz-4-Analog-16-Digital-Ch-Mixed-Signals-Oscilloscope-/251745488273
BTW. This is an older scope, still branded as Agilent

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf