Author Topic: FREE: Aus/Perth - Panasonic TH-P50V20A (50" Plasma) faulty but with parts to fix  (Read 1233 times)

Offline MikeNyeTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi Guys,

Free (just come pick it up, I'm in Bayswater). Includes:
  • Panasonic TH-P50V20A 50" Plasma, with fault, but with parts to fix.
  • Stand & remote
  • "P-Board" for this unit
  • "SC-Board" for this unit

This has been on my todo list for some time, but I'm resigned to the fact that with a new baby and a toddler, I'm just not going to get the time to get this thing fixed, so I'm going to give it away. Read on:

The panel wouldn't power up one day, and the LED was flashing out an error code. The error code indicated a bad power supply, so I replaced the power supply which turned out not to be faulty (so I have a spare P board that the unit will come with). I managed to get my hands on the service manual and have some dialog with a helpful service guy.

While performing more detailed troubleshooting, I found several components on the SC board were dead short, and googling showed that SC board failure is pretty common on these units. I purchased a new SC board (which I haven't even unboxed yet) and the next steps I was going to take were going to be as follows (from the gentleman I bought the SC board from):

• Disconnect, sc2, ss11, P35 and 3 white ribbons at the A-board. Turn the TV on, expecting to see the LED blink green then go solid green(no error blinks). If that works then turn it off, don't reconnect anything for 10 mins. A pass doing this should mean the P and A boards are not at fault.
  • Carefully lift the ribbon latches on the SC board & set my meter to continuity or diode, place one probe on the Vfg plates and slowly glide the other along each and every connector. Any short there and the Buffer is toast.
  • Provided P & A boards were healthy, and the Buffer isn't toast, replace the SC board with my spare.
  • Replace the bolts on the SC & SS boards with something like this
  • If that's not possible then make them nice and firm or a dab of loctite. They work loose and cause bad earths which also blows the boards. Sometimes there may be warning signs like boards buzzing loudly or erractic lines or noise in the picture.

In the meantime, the wife was complaining about not having a TV, so we ended up purchasing a new 50" LCD. Its nowhere near as nice as the plasma but with a new baby I just don't have the time to continue troubleshooting.

So for a few hours of someone's time, you could very likely have a working 50" high-def plasma that you can use or sell. If not, feel free to bin it.

It just seems like a shame to see this thing go into landfill if it can be fixed.

If I don't get any interest in the next week or so, then its going in a skip as I need to de-clutter my lab.

Thanks all.  :-+

-Mike

Offline noidea

• Supporter
Hmm maybe interested...
I'm only a few suburbs away and have a th-p50g10a that's on its last legs but like you am a fan of plasmas. The only problem is I have a toddler and a 6 year old and a bad track record of picking up projects and never fixing them, can I let you know over the weekend?

Offline MikeNyeTopic starter

• Contributor
Hmm maybe interested...
I'm only a few suburbs away and have a th-p50g10a that's on its last legs but like you am a fan of plasmas. The only problem is I have a toddler and a 6 year old and a bad track record of picking up projects and never fixing them, can I let you know over the weekend?

Of course mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
I have a Panasonic with a dead plasma panel (I dropped a glass, it bounced straight into the tv)

It was working perfectly well upto that point, from memory it’s a 52” but will find the model number when I get home.

Maybe someone can Frankenstein all the parts together to make a working one. I bought a new tv and have no space / need for another one.

I’m in bassendean, so not far away.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf