Author Topic: EEVblog 1629 - Dumpster Find: A3 Colour Photocopier  (Read 509 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
EEVblog 1629 - Dumpster Find: A3 Colour Photocopier
« on: July 13, 2024, 04:33:26 am »
A Konika Minolta bizhub C284e A3 colour photocopier found in the dumpster. Enjoy Dave's embarrassment at the redundant teardown.
Ebay listing for original modern art print: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/226241082176

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
Re: EEVblog 1629 - Dumpster Find: A3 Colour Photocopier
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2024, 12:11:39 pm »
This thing, and your search for the power switch, reminds me of a somewhat wild story from work :D

We have similar large format printers from Canon.

One of these printers had an issue recently after a service. It was called in as "Would not wake from sleep". An inspection quickly showed: The printer was turned off. Well, can happen, we switched it back on, told the local ladies where the switch is, and thought it resolved.
Next day, the printer was again switched off. Ok, told the ladies to not turn off the printer again please, and switched it back on.
Next day, the printer was again switched off. We got various assurances that no one there turned it off. We suspected the cleaning crew or the night watchman, but oddly only this one of the several printers we have was turned off.
This continued for a couple of days, until we taped the switch cover shut.
Next day, the printer was again turned off, but the tape was not tampered with.

It turns out: This bloody printer actually has a servo in the power switch that is able to physically flip the switch to off, to eke out the last bit of power savings.  :palm: And remember the service it had? The service tech forgot to disable the setting when the mainboard of the printer was replaced.  :-DD

What a ghost chase :D Luckily our internal techs are very diplomatic infront of the users, so no blame was directly assigned. But internally we were so damn sure that someone in that department was turning the printer off without telling us.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, bitwelder, wraper, thm_w

Offline scopeman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2024, 03:09:01 am »
Dave,

That is a first class machine that will probably outlast you! They build bulletproof machines. Your the luckiest guy I know!

Sam
W3OHM
W3OHM

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2024, 04:18:47 pm »
That is a really nice find from the magic dumpster room!  :-+
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 02:26:37 am »
That is a first class machine that will probably outlast you! They build bulletproof machines. Your the luckiest guy I know!

Yeah it's cool, but takes up a fair bit of space in the dungeon though!
But given that my other A3 colour is now spewing out rubbish, I'll have to keep it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf