Author Topic: EEVblog 1625 - Electronex: Scope Wars: The Rise of Uni T  (Read 1100 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
EEVblog 1625 - Electronex: Scope Wars: The Rise of Uni T
« on: June 26, 2024, 12:42:09 am »
Uni-T are making a surprising move into the mid end instrument market with some custom ASIC based oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, signal generators and a bunch of other instruments.
A talk with Mark Isherwood from Rapid-Tech, the Australian dealer for Uni-T.
https://rapid-tech.com.au/uni-t-instruments/

Offline Hella_Wini22

Re: EEVblog 1625 - Electronex: Scope Wars: The Rise of Uni T
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2024, 01:29:14 am »
Great, but not earth-shattering.

They took their time to identify free slots in the market, but they are no Tesla of measurement world.

Still, it's nice to see third player in prosumer and small, but demanding  workshops segments.

Let's hoe that old addage "Two is a party, three is a crowd" come true and they force Siglent and RIgol to more aggressive competition.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2024, 03:14:09 am »
I saw UNI-T (USA) at a convention / trade show, and their spectrum analyzer offerings were also quite interesting.  I haven't done or seen a careful specification comparison, but they might be a worthwhile alternative.  As I recall, I was told that they will soon be introducing a 1 GHz scope.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline ballsystemlord

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2024, 02:22:55 am »
I saw UNI-T (USA) at a convention / trade show, and their spectrum analyzer offerings were also quite interesting.  I haven't done or seen a careful specification comparison, but they might be a worthwhile alternative.  As I recall, I was told that they will soon be introducing a 1 GHz scope.

I did a comparison, on my own, of their DMM specs. Some of their accuracy claims were unbelievably good for the price point. Others, on their higher end DMMs, were comparatively mediocre. I'm not really sure what their goals are here. Do they want to produce really really cheap stuff that is okay-ish, or do they want to produce really solid offerings?
Decent reviews are few and far between. Those that exist, are not very convincing with regards to the capability/accuracy of the products (see, for example, Mr. Joe Smith's work on YT). They're roughly equivalent to a store brand, such as Kobalt, or Harbor Frieght, when it comes to DMMs. Low quality plastic is the least of their concerns.

EDIT: Just to be clear with everyone, I'd love to say that their products are wonderful, cheap, and I have 10 of each awesome offering. But that's not the case at all. I certainly hope they improve. We'll have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 04:38:57 am by ballsystemlord »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2024, 11:14:16 pm »
As I recall, I was told that they will soon be introducing a 1 GHz scope.

As you can hear in the video, Mark mentioned 6GHz
Maybe he meant sample rate?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2024, 11:15:27 pm »
I did a comparison, on my own, of their DMM specs. Some of their accuracy claims were unbelievably good for the price point. Others, on their higher end DMMs, were comparatively mediocre. I'm not really sure what their goals are here. Do they want to produce really really cheap stuff that is okay-ish, or do they want to produce really solid offerings?

You can do both.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf