Author Topic: EEVblog #1327 - 3 Ways to FAIL at PCB Manufacture  (Read 6856 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
EEVblog #1327 - 3 Ways to FAIL at PCB Manufacture
« on: August 09, 2020, 07:17:20 am »
Three ways to get your PCB design rejected by your PCB manufacturer.
1) Imperial/Metric conversion
2) Unexpected Trace/Space specifications
3) Goofing the Gerber resolution.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog #1327 - 3 Ways to FAIL at PCB Manufacture
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 08:53:25 pm »
Arrrrrrggggg, a magical floating head which grows and shrinks depending on the speakers intonation...  :-DD

BTW, when placing or measuring objects in Altium, pressing the SHIFT or CTRL while moving the mouse enables/disables snap to edge, grid, or electrical grid.  I wonder if it is the same in Kicad.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 08:56:23 pm by BrianHG »

Offline redshift

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 11:22:38 pm »
I like the floating Dave head! Why waste the screen real estate on an entire rectangle?

PS: You forgot to include the forum link in the video description.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 12:37:58 am »
BTW, when placing or measuring objects in Altium, pressing the SHIFT or CTRL while moving the mouse enables/disables snap to edge, grid, or electrical grid.  I wonder if it is the same in Kicad.

ALT works in KiCAD PCB but not in the KiCAD gerber viewer

Offline Tek_TDS220

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 01:26:15 am »
The topic is great, very informative.  As I've discovered, there are a lot of sneaky specs that can cause your boards to be rejected.

Regarding the floating head, I like it.  However, I found myself closing my door while I was watching.

Offline jgruszynski

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 02:17:52 pm »
Great video.

We have a very similar but slightly more complicated design rule situation in IC design.

Offline aheid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 03:50:54 pm »
Floating head? How about some green facepaint next time. I want floating eyes and mouth  :-DD

Nice video, had completely missed the gerber formatting options.

Offline c64

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 03:14:17 am »
Half of these clearance rules (like pad to pad) don't even exist on the JLC chinese website. Maybe they are just somebody's screw-up?
https://www.jlc.com/portal/vtechnology.html
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:43:52 am by c64 »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 08:13:03 pm »
Half of these clearance rules (like pad to pad) don't even exist on the JLC chinese website. Maybe they are just somebody's screw-up?
https://www.jlc.com/portal/vtechnology.html

Most of those measurements aren't even in metric as well.
Stuff like pad to pad, for sure must be a recommendation and not an actual requirement, they will easily make stuff closer than that. Same with via to track vs PTH to track, literally the same thing but two numbers given.

Maybe some of these restrictions they've added due to the large volume of orders and issues they ran into. The JLC china site works completely differently to the english version, so, could be different teams, etc.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 12:33:09 pm »
Some of these manufacturers in Asia don't even bother stating their capabilities in metric, which I find annoying because there are only three other countries left in the world that still use imperial measurements mostly: Liberia and Myanmar and the USA. Seems like Me and Ma - and cousin Gerber Goober - find this new fang dangled metric as confusin' as playing a banjo upside down :o.

But I still use 0201, 0402, 0603, 0805 as definitions of component sizes because that is the common language used everywhere because there also is too much crossover between some imperial and some metric sizes. Also, when I say "mil", I mean millimetres. Thou is OK for imperial measurements, but not "mil" as it only causes confusion. I still am forced to use an imperial grid for schematics because most schematic symbols were created to an imperial grid. Nothing worse that when a symbol does not line up to a grid (2.50mm c.f. 2.54mm). Really Altium and the like should abandon measurements for grids and just use "units" as they are resized to A4 or A3 anyway when printing anyway.

I remember in maths, rather that using pid/2 (ie: pi radians divided by 2), texts used pi/2 for 90 degrees which can cause confusion in some contexts.

The following users thanked this post: Lord of nothing

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 12:34:20 pm »
Some of these manufacturers in Asia don't even bother stating their capabilities in metric, which I find annoying because there are only three other countries left in the world that still use imperial measurements mostly: Liberia and Myanmar and the USA. Seems like Me and Ma - and cousin Gerber Goober - find this new fang dangled metric as confusin' as playing a banjo upside down :o.

But I still use 0201, 0402, 0603, 0805 as definitions of component sizes as that is the common language used everywhere because there also is too much crossover between some imperial and some metric sizes. Also, when I say "mil", I mean millimetres. Thou is OK for imperial measurements, but not "mil" as it only causes confusion. I still am forced to use an imperial grid for schematics because most schematic symbols were created to an imperial grid. Nothing worse that when a symbol does not line up to a grid (2.50mm c.f. 2.54mm). Really Altium and the like should abandon measurements for grids and just use "units" becasue they are resized to A4 or A3 when printing anyway.

I remember in maths, rather that using pid/2 (ie: pi radians divided by 2), texts used pi/2 for 90 degrees which can cause confusion in some contexts.

Offline drcheap

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 09:16:43 pm »
Am I the only one who's first thought, when I saw him moving his floating head around, was ... Mr. Sparkle!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf