Author Topic: What are these potentiometers? I need replacements  (Read 1589 times)

Offline py-bbTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
What are these potentiometers? I need replacements
« on: April 09, 2023, 09:54:51 am »

The thing with the "+"-shaped hole (NOT the post that's a capacitor) in it for adjustment is a potentiometer, it's like a metal cylinder with a cap and a normal cheap pot "on top" - I don't think it has any special properties.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: What are these potentiometers? I need replacements
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 11:06:39 am »
They are called "trimmer" pots.  Have you searched for that term?

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 11:08:55 am »
They are just trim pots in a can, they were quite common.The can is not necessary.
Look for trim pots on e bay and find something of the correct ohms and wattage that will fit into the existing holes

The following users thanked this post: tooki, py-bb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 11:31:03 am »

The word "potentiometer" is in the title you can assume I've put that into ebay.

I wanted to check they're archaic but otherwise not special before putting those little crappy ones with the 3 pins and the slotted bit you turn

Online Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 11:48:36 am »
Most of the time they use "Trim Pots" rather than potentiometer for these types of potentiometers.
 I included an e bay posting of your trim pots:Yours are probably wire wound and a bit better than most but anything that will handle the power involved would be OK.I do not know how much power is on that board. I do not think it is very much though.I agree that the little blue ones can be "crappy" I use them all the time. Some of them are not made very well. However many pieces of test equipment have used them (including HP) but I think the quality of the apparently identical blue pots is better in more expensive equipment. If the blue pots are "Bournes" brand they are usually much better. (or any other trusted  brand.)
It would be nice to have a component that would "fit" into the holes on the board. Make installation and adjusting much easier.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183183778489?hash=item2aa69aa2b9:g:HTwAAOSwvHRa1l1e&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4JFs%2FWMTsYURPyawiO2W99N1ccw0q9z2FVlizx2gztmSpDd1S9wI2LZYpDMFp2Dke9YHpoqChI5udlDwobYez%2FX830yT9LpUb9Cj%2FHPl%2B80HxHU3HAN3YIyJf87NHh9oPCDNT8sqzEM4L%2FbrksKjTgdyjwyhxbhzMl0f%2B9udCFG%2FChENg3uxJc2pVYR86OSsH%2F%2F4wsC7JzvVftZED%2FFhlGM33jc0gns1FDYGYrU%2FSpHiVRYLz1oFJejbg9ZjYTizfV65N4a%2FvVGL0IURY6gksVhLnF18a4znZlkVSvFZF05k%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR77RvtzsYQ
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 11:52:15 am by Wallace Gasiewicz »

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 12:21:33 pm »
The word "potentiometer" is in the title you can assume I've put that into ebay.

Trim is short for "trimmer."  It was not clear whether you searched specifically for trim pots.  They are usually designed for PCB mounting and rated rotational life is less.  Good luck.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 03:42:06 pm »

I wanted to check they're archaic but otherwise not special before putting those little crappy ones with the 3 pins and the slotted bit you turn
In English-language electronics terminology, if you say “potentiometer” or “pot” without saying “trim”, it’s assumed that you want a potentiometer intended for user interaction. The ones on PCBs for fine-tuning a circuit, not intended for user interaction, are basically always called “trimpots”, “trimmers”, “trimmer pots” or the like.

So if you just search for “potentiometer” without the key word “trimmer” or similar, you’re not going to find what you need.

Offline Testtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 04:34:19 pm »
These are higher power wirewound pots. I clean them with a little Dexoit 100% and they usually work fine, unless they have been overheated.

The following users thanked this post: GuntherM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 04:50:03 pm »
These are higher power wirewound pots. I clean them with a little Dexoit 100% and they usually work fine, unless they have been overheated.

What makes you say that? As far as I can tell when you turn them the metal tab that is connected to the pivot with the "+"-shaped-hole in it turns with it. It's quite a big tab which I thought odd for a pot.

I might take one off and look underneath. The one pictured looks like it might have something underneath but others don't. I'll get back to you with pictures as I thought the design crappy.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 04:52:34 pm by py-bb »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2023, 04:51:05 pm »

In English-language electronics terminology, if you say “potentiometer” or “pot” without saying “trim”, it’s assumed that you want a potentiometer intended for user interaction. The ones on PCBs for fine-tuning a circuit, not intended for user interaction, are basically always called “trimpots”, “trimmers”, “trimmer pots” or the like.

So if you just search for “potentiometer” without the key word “trimmer” or similar, you’re not going to find what you need.

Mate I've told you several times on several threads to stop this, I started politely then veered into "stop being an overly pedantic twat" to hints to sod off:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=potentiometer&_sacat=0

3rd result. Even if the were actually called "Tookiometers" it wouldn't be relevant still as potentiometers finds them. This is again like ethernet cable/RJ45/8C8P/whatever situation - even if one of the names is right it doesn't matter and you're really annoying - you've got no excuse to be oblivious to it still.

Sod off please.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 05:00:39 pm by py-bb »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2023, 05:01:53 pm »
Mate I've told you several times on several threads to stop this, I started politely then veered into "stop being an overly pedantic twat" to hints to sod off:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=potentiometer&_sacat=0

3rd result.

Sod off please.
Stop what, helping you? In this thread, I gave you advice on how to solve your problem by finding the part you need, since you failed on your own. It’s completely practical advice as confirmed by several other people telling you the exact same thing.

P.S. You didn’t start off politely in the other thread, you were rude to me from the start.

Edit: Looking at your posting history, I suspect you’re confusing me with someone else with whom you have had longer altercations. You and I have had very few interactions (including this one, I’ve responded to you only 3 times ever), and in only ONE (the fuse thread) did you ask me to back off, though clearly even there you already thought we’d interacted before when we hadn’t. (Before the fuse thread, we’d only had a single exchange where you gave objectively bad advice and I objected to it briefly because it was safety-related, you responded with a long tirade of more nonsense and a snippy “don’t overthink it”, to which told you to be quiet. That’s it.) Hint: I’m not the only forum user with a fairly short username that starts with “t”.

Regardless, in the short time you’ve been here you’ve managed to rub a lot of people the wrong way with your abrasive, condescending attitude even when you provide bad advice, and ask questions that indicate your own lack of research and communication skills, then get mad at people who correct you or even just tell you how to solve your problem. I recognize that I, too, can be abrasive at times, even when I don’t intend to, but you’d also do well to try and be a bit more chilled.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 05:38:38 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: Fraser

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2023, 05:23:22 pm »

3rd result. Even if the were actually called "Tookiometers" it wouldn't be relevant still as potentiometers finds them. This is again like ethernet cable/RJ45/8C8P/whatever situation - even if one of the names is right it doesn't matter and you're really annoying - you've got no excuse to be oblivious to it still.

Sod off please.
Please stop acting like an asshole and stop biting the hands that feed you useful information. Terminology of how components are commonly called is important information when you're looking for a part. For example see how Mouser makes a distinction between potentiometers and trimmer resistors. Just because that some sellers will list as many keywords as possible does not mean all sellers will.

The following users thanked this post: Fraser, tooki, newbrain, Vovk_Z

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2023, 05:48:13 pm »
Tooki,

You have my sympathy ! No good deed goes unpunished !

You did your best to help with some very relevant information. Suggest you put this py-bb person on your ignore list as I have just done !
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Gyro, Vovk_Z

Online BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2023, 08:24:22 pm »
I don't think those are wirewound, they just have a carbon arc and a wiper just like most trimmer pots. However, that style is quite old and I don't find them any where. I saw them before. Perhaps different style of same value should work. I don't worry about wattage as those don't have high power rating than normal trim pots. But of course those pots can be removed and tested to make sure that they are bad. They may have value stamped on them too.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2023, 08:43:24 pm »
Due to the larger diameter, it may be the case those trimmers can be much more finely adjusted (compared to current trimmers) but still be just "1 turn"
If that's the case, you may be needed to resort to trimmers with 4-10 turns .. like for example something like this : https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/bourns-inc/3339P-1-103LF/1088290

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2023, 08:54:28 pm »
The thing with the "+"-shaped hole (NOT the post that's a capacitor) in it for adjustment is a potentiometer, it's like a metal cylinder with a cap and a normal cheap pot "on top" - I don't think it has any special properties.

On Ebay try searching Vintage Trim Pot. Not sure if these will be close or not.  https://www.ebay.ca/itm/153511411407?hash=item23bdfe3ecf:g:o9UAAOSwfUZc9DkB

You could try other sources for vintage parts outside Ebay. Not sure what you may have available to you.

good luck

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2023, 09:33:39 pm »
I have seen quite a few of that style of trimpot in -hp- equipment (this photo is obviously of an -hp- unit).
They were generally wirewound--probably for good temperature co-efficient.
Being open to the elements, they could sometimes develop bad surfaces, which could be reversed by a few back-and-forth rotations before setting.
In a Fluke 845 manual, a similar part is listed as "RES, VAR, WW, 2k, 5%, 1.25 W, PWB MTG".
Its manufacturer's code is 71450 (which I can't find quickly), p/n 1110-202-1.25W-5%

Offline Swainster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2023, 08:42:15 am »
I've just been twiddling something similar these in a Keithley - I guess they were a common style of trimmer at the time. Keithley calls these particular ones out as 1NS-115, a 2W 20% variable, wirewound. However, this may be a manufacturer specific version as I've only seen this designation on Keithley parts lists. They look slightly larger than the ones in the OPs pic.

Actually these ones look rather like the OPs: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173779660667, and there is a nice photo of the wire element inside.

For manufacturer codes i generally use the google search term "cage code xxxxxxx", which for 71450 comes up as CTS, https://www.ctscorp.com/company/history/.

The following users thanked this post: TimFox, tooki

Online Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2023, 11:57:34 am »
I have also seen this type of trim pot used on old radios where the big pot is used to adjust larger signals or higher power.Some of these radios are near 80 yrs old and the trim pots are still OK, if you clean them.
One example is the BIAS on electron tube grids.In these cases the part needs to handle higher poser than most little trimmers.If a spray cleaner does not work then...
I have removed them and cleaned them using a mild acid, vinegar and a little brush. Then using isopropyl alcohol.You can see the wire wound element when you remove the pot.
The resistive wire can get corroded as it is not coated with anything.The board you showed looks like part power supply and part amplifier, where the current through the pot may be a bit high for little trim pots.
EDIT:   If they do not get too hot a little wax on the resistive coil makes them work much more smoothly.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 12:01:51 pm by Wallace Gasiewicz »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf