Author Topic: Problem to make footprint!  (Read 15718 times)

Offline rozehTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Problem to make footprint!
« on: September 28, 2013, 02:43:48 pm »
Hey guys,
Recently, I have bought an OLED 128*64 (IC driver is SSD1306) and would make a adaptor for it.

i made a footprint for it but seem it's fishy! because, sound like it's incorrect. look to grid:

it's big. what's the problem? why isn't  the size correct?
Mark Twain — 'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.'

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: Problem to make footprint!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:13:37 pm »
what od you mean the grid is big ? the grid is 5 mils. so you got about 7.5 mils from pad to pad center. looks fine to me.
1 mil = 1/1000 inch !. you are confused with millimeters ?

mil = 1/1000 inch  =
mm = 1/1000 meter

1mil = 0.0254 mm so 5 mils is about 1.27 mm
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 04:37:53 pm »
you are confused with millimeters ?
Probably, Yes! seems you're right. :-+
Mark Twain — 'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.'

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 07:42:15 pm »
Or, you go on ebay and buy up a handful of those adapters for practically nothing...
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 05:22:07 pm »
Damn displayer! Some amounts is odd! For example I highlighted at this picture one of them(red sequar):

What's the mean of it?

Offline andtfoot

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 05:27:15 pm »
If I had to guess, I'd say the following:
0.70mm pin pitch (from the centre of one pin, to the centre of the next)
20.3mm between the centres of the outside pins
0.40mm width of each pin

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 08:03:16 pm »
yep.
so the easiest way to make this is set the grid to 0.7mm (G 0.7mm<enter>)
place the 31 pads on a the grid. (PP <TAB> and set up pad dimensions and begin at 1 , click 31 times at next coordinate)
set origin to pin (EFP) to pin 1
switch grid to 0.1 mm and draw the outlying edges. done takes about s minute to make.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 07:44:43 am »
Thanks guys,
But, Now, I have a new problem. When i see the lib part for SMD component, i can't find any component! :( look:

I need some SMD capacitor and resistor. :(

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 08:50:11 pm »
I need some SMD capacitor and resistor. :(

As it happens, free_electron shared some nice libs with resistors + caps + etc a while ago. I've been happily using that for some time now. :)

@free_electron:
Incidentally, any chance of an update? I recall you mentioning in another thread that you update it every so often. But last time I checked the download you provided was still the same. Maybe you use a diff url for new versions? Or more likely: busy busy busy.  ;D

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 06:42:18 am »
Could you post the link to that post, having some more standart components made from an Altium guru would be nice.  :-+

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 05:01:06 pm »
i need to plonk down an updated version. it has grown substantially ...
i'll try to do it over the weekend.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 06:31:40 pm »
Could you post the link to that post, having some more standart components made from an Altium guru would be nice.  :-+
That would be this post.

i need to plonk down an updated version. it has grown substantially ...
i'll try to do it over the weekend.
Eagerly awaiting the update. I would say "patiently" awaiting, but I would fail.  ;D

Offline HWgeek

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 03:06:44 pm »
I certainly appreciated the library from free_electron, its been invaluable to speeding up some design work.  A larger updated version would be stellar!

Big thanks regardless if you put up a new version, just sharing all that hard work is appreciated! :-+

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 12:41:47 pm »
Special thanks to dear mrflibble and free_electron. :D
Now, I have a new problem. I'm not sure but, I think I'm wrong for make a lib. I draw a schematic pin and footprint. I think I have to connect the schematic pins to footprint pins. What's your opinion? if yes, how can i connect the schematic pins to the footprint pins? look to my project:

I don't know why the footprint of OLED not connected to components(in PCB)! :( it connected in schematic.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 12:46:58 pm »
you need to mate it in the part in the shematic with the footprint. little window below the shematic add footprint

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 07:57:59 am »
you need to mate it in the part in the shematic with the footprint. little window below the shematic add footprint
Thanks for reply but, i already did it. look:

What's the problem? :(

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 05:16:12 pm »
maybe you named the designators instead the pin names? :) if it doesnt find the numbers it wont work properly

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 05:24:50 pm »
maybe you named the designators instead the pin names? :) if it doesnt find the numbers it wont work properly
No, for instance look this:

Offline toohec

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 03:07:25 am »
Do each of your pads in your footprint have a pin number?  Double click on each pad in your footprint and verify that the designator field is set to the pin number that it should be.  (Each pad in the footprint needs to have a pin number that matches the appropriate pin in the schematic symbol.)  Your images are too zoomed out to tell if there are pin numbers assigned or not.

Also FYI, the model map dialog box assumes that pin designators have been assigned on the footprint model.  The numbers are based off the schematic symbol only.  You can even delete the model from the schematic symbol and the model map dialog box will still appear to be complete.  It doesn't tell you if the footprint model is complete; it's only applicable in cases where there might be letter-to-number translation, or some pin swapping required.

When you attempt to sync/import your schematic changes into the pcb, the EO/results window where you validate the changes will report the problems if there are any.  In this case, it will likely indicate that it cannot find the pins in the attached model.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 06:05:06 am »
Thanks toohec for reply,
I made the pads by Tools>Component Wizard and when I whould double click on those pads, it would not work.
Is this picture suitable:

I attached my lib files for you to see it and find the problem. I don't know why it trouble me.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 12:39:36 pm »
I attached my lib files for you to see it and find the problem. I don't know why it trouble me.

The footprint pads are designated A1 to A30 (and a set of B1 to B30 on solder side of the board), the schematic symbol pins are designated 1 to 30. They need to match.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 02:19:42 pm »
The footprint pads are designated A1 to A30 (and a set of B1 to B30 on solder side of the board), the schematic symbol pins are designated 1 to 30. They need to match.
Thanks, my problem solved. :-+ :D

Offline toohec

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 03:59:36 am »
Glad you got it taken care of.  Just curious, are you trying to duplicate the connector on the OLED? Or are you trying to make a PCB that has the correct mating connector for the OLED to plug into?  I assume the latter.  Is that right?  If so, your CAD drawings are for the male connector attached to the OLED, and you really should be making a footprint that matches the mating connector that the OLED assembly plugs into. 

Also, as Rufus mentioned, there are two sets of pads on your footprint; one set on the top layer, and one set on the bottom layer.  Are you intending to use both?  If not, you may wish to delete the unwanted bottom layer pads.  I still don't know what your goal here is, so I'm just notifying you of any potential issue.  I'm unclear on what you are trying to accomplish.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 01:04:44 pm »
@toohec This is my first project in altium. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

New problem:
How can I remove these masks in PCB pdf? look:

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 01:47:29 pm »
How can I remove these masks in PCB pdf? look:

Turn of the silkscreen layer during pdf creation?  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf