Author Topic: $1000 USD CAD and Rendering Workhorse. Getting the Balance right?  (Read 35113 times)

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
Re: $1000 USD CAD and Rendering Workhorse. Getting the Balance right?
« Reply #325 on: September 02, 2019, 03:17:25 am »
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-gigabyte-pulls-pcie-4.0-support,40085.html   might impact you depending on what you have

He have an Aorus X570, that question doesn't apply to him, only on X470 that weren't designed originally to support PCI-E Gen4.

Offline beanflyingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #326 on: September 02, 2019, 03:44:44 am »
Interesting... I stopped back at my MB's support page to see if there's any new FW updates...

mnem
Andale!!!

Not sure when my Gigabyte board allowed 3200 native but it has been fine from day one for me. https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Last upgrade did away with any PCIe4 support but not a big deal as nothing I have can or makes use of it. Even SSD's at PCIe4 seem to be of limited speed increases over the Samsung 970's on PCIe3.

Current GPU upgrade options  :palm:

Stock 5700XT and mod the fan system with 3DP and bigger quieter fans $380 USD+Tax fun project but still a no.
Gigabyte 5700 XT $450 USD + Tax
PowerColor 5700XT $475 + Tax
Gigabyte 2070 Super $470 + Tax

Much as the rest of my build is AMD based the current discounts on the 2070 Super is looking like the better option.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #327 on: September 02, 2019, 03:22:33 pm »
That's JEDEC speed, NOT XMP speed. There are only a few such RAM out there right now; most with pretty high latencies. But like the current crop of NAND Flash, this X570 chipset is designed with the next generation of memory that's just around the corner in mind, not what's currently out there.

As you can see; by shifting the money around to different columns, I was still able to afford my next-gen goodness while still coming in at approximately the same amount over-budget you did. ;)

As for the choice of AGP... I've never liked NVidia with AMD; they too often break core chipset stuff without compunction. Like  a couple years ago when for 8 months every damn thing they had that wasn't absolute latest model you could either lose DirectX11 or lose SLEEP mode... and for 6 months of that they refused to even acknowledge that it was their fucking new global driver set causing the fault.  |O

Fuck NVidia. With a shovel. Sideways.

mnem
NO regrets. :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 03:35:35 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #328 on: September 03, 2019, 01:42:05 am »
When it comes to GPU's in looking at both camps neither are complete Angels. For those who bit on a Radeon VII only released early this year wouldn't be that happy. As the 2070 Super is a refresh not a new one from the ground up the improvements in FPS @ 1440P and small bump in rendering over the 5700XT for $20 makes it in the mix.

If it was $50+ USD I would go buy a really nice bottle of Scotch with the change to console myself over the Gamer Life threatening FPS counts ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #329 on: September 04, 2019, 07:27:06 am »
And the answer today was I got a Gigabyte 5700XT for $420 USD +tax shipped by twisting an arm slightly >:D

Not sure if it will be Scotch or a box of Good Beer with the $50 'saved'  :-DD

In about a week for any Aussies out there I will have the lightly used and very tidy Gigabyte 580 up for grabs $230 AUD shipped in Oz.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 07:29:26 am by beanflying »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #330 on: September 05, 2019, 04:58:23 am »
I thought you were gonna save that 580 for the Woody...?

I've been a bit busy; by the time I have any breathing room, I expect the ROG STRIX 5700XT will be available (Did it come and go and I missed it...?). Really disappointed in the performance from the XFX offering; also not best pleased with Giga's choice to stick with the reference cooler design.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 05:57:16 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #331 on: September 05, 2019, 12:28:48 pm »
Nope Tri Fan Gigabyte. They may still be flogging off the leftover reference ones in the USA  :-// eBay auction: #174015379363

Version one of the woody case is just going APU but there is a distinct possibility the 560 I am sitting on may go in V II  >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #332 on: September 05, 2019, 02:24:35 pm »
Oooooh.... that's just... nipply.  >:D

827568-0   I've looked at a few of the comparison charts saying the ASUS and the Giga are about neck & neck, but not looked too closely. Didn't know they had their TriGun TriFan version out. Now that I think of it, pretty obvious that must be the model they're comparing against. :palm:

Again... sortof glad I don't have time to even think about it right now. I'm hoping that by the time I can "think GPU", the pricing wars will have settled out in my favor.  ;)

mnem
WhuWeTalkinAbout...?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:33:02 pm by mnementh »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #333 on: September 05, 2019, 03:59:18 pm »
Comparison here against some of the other suspects in 1080 and 1440 gaming fresh as of a few hours ago. These only seemed to hit a few retailers over last weekend with some still offloading the reference cards at a small discount.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #334 on: September 09, 2019, 05:51:43 am »
Gigity 3, 2 and their slightly weird small cousin MSI the PCI.

Used the clean install driver option and opened up fine but then starting giving me grief on what seems to have been the memory overclock I did a while ago that has been stable and never glitched.  :-// Back to stock XMP and been solid since with stress testing and ran some benchmarks to see how it stacked up.

Cinebench and PC Mark were the same more or less with the 580 or the 5700XT losing the few % of memory speed is a PITA so I will take another look now it is stable again.

As expected Heaven and 3DMark the 5700XT smoked the 580 by 2:1. Heaven 2821, 112FPS vs 1378, 55FPS. 3DMark 8901 vs 4618. Both of these were run @ 1440P Ultra settings on Heaven.

So little productivity gain if any to be had for the $ but anything needing frame rate then worth the $.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #335 on: September 16, 2019, 10:03:14 am »
Added some low cost B to my RGB today. Beats having to keep it dusted on the shelf. 5V @ < 5mA. Not as bright IRL the phone camera was over showing it.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #336 on: September 30, 2019, 02:26:48 pm »
Cheapest option is buying  HP Z600 workstation for 150 Euro and fitting two Xeon X5670. Make sure you get the later motherboard supporting these and buy one taht already comes with two CPUs.
Then fit a SSD and a Geforce GTX860. Buy memory.
Total cost is around 400 Euro for 24 virtual cores,  24GB RAM, GTX and SSD.
Can't beat this price/performance ratio.
Regards,
Vitor
this have had me poisoned ever since... in fear of being left out of stock, i grab one Z800 from US seller raw cost $255 (excl shipping, vary with countries) inside are 2pcs Xeon X5675 3.07GHz on HP (custom?) MoBo, 24GB DDR3 ECC RAM, NVidia Quadro 4000 Graphics, 1TB HDD, DVD RW, 850-1000W? PSU, and a thick boat anchor grade unpenetrable casing with nice HP emblem on the side and some wind deflectors / RAM fans / HDD & DVD bays inside. you can get cheaper $200 from the seller if you pick the lowest spec Xeon X5570 2.93GHz 12GB RAM. you can find him in ebay US easy, 2 unit left from him...

unfortunately on mine, the Quadro 4000 is not working properly (broken), so i have to find another card as replacement, a $70 Radeon RX470 is choosen due to its performance/price report in the net. its new unit, but not a new model (2016?) (corrected: ex-mining unit). comparing the spec,i believe this buy is still worth it even if the old sluggish Quadro is still working. another $25 cheap-arse 120GB SSD upgrade, the bundled 1TB HDD becomes 2ndary. so total $350. info in the net indicating people OC this Xeon up to 4.5GHz stable (with water cooled), but the stock HP MOBO is dumb ass wont let any clock tuning. the OC capable dual Xeon socket Mobo is still out of reach, price wise (or not really worth it for this cheap-arse alternative) so i have to live by the Non OC stock speed but with Turbo Boost enabled.

i'm surprised 14 pages and at least 2 tweakers here, not much report on performance. only the nvme report afaics. for free graphics (game oriented person) benchmark can be downloaded at https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven?lang=en so let me show my benchmark first ;D, i dont expect this one thirdth of a thousand used PC will be any wonder in performance, maybe latest HW can easily achieve 3X of this? but i'll be happy if anything can render at more than 30fps the oldie standard, i wont push myself to be dependent on faster screen refresh rate spec :P otoh disk write report is abysimal at 10-100MB/s rate, not sure what they are and not really care. well i mean what can i expect from a $25 SSD connected to old SATA on a 10 yrs old MOBO? i wont go into hassle of nvme/pcie hack, this old system may not support it in anyway, and GBytes of data transfer daily is not what this machine is intended for, so that is not really critical imho.

i dont really have an urgent need for this, i just dont want to miss the 12 core xeon party before its gone. even with shipping cost that i paid, i think i cant get the price, not even close if i try to gather parts from current technology (intel only mind you) that can match the core and ram spec. the purpose will be mainly for its core number to run some homebrew simulation if i need to, and to run investor/fusion those heavy stuffs etc. not to mention that i hate any windows other than XP, esp 64bits, some of my app cant be installed in it. but it seems inevitable on this 24GB RAM machine. and what is sucks more is the AMD only produce 64bits Radeon now :palm: i dont know what they are thinking, i should be aware of this before buying the card. anyway i believe it will be mostly under the shelf unless the kids want to play games with it. fwiw...

a bit related: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/home-made-dvi-i-to-vga-converter-possible/msg2696928/#msg2696928
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:18:21 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #337 on: October 08, 2019, 03:33:13 pm »
this guy is nuts... he put a $300+ top referenced benchmark GTX1080Ti card, $100+ 500GB NVME etc on the $200+ Z800 mainframe, so this imho pretty much close to the $1000 PC (12 corer) for CAD (and GAME) ballpark. in his website Green PC Gamers, he listed compatible peripherals to Z800, all of them i believe other than RAM and CPU are current tech HW, backward compatible to PCIe Gen2 and SATA II max supported by the Z800 MoBo...

me... currently waiting for the 6x8GB (48GB) ECC RAM ($80) from China to add to existing 24GB but half populated RAM slots HP Z800 Memory Configuration and Optimization and... another $100+ Nitro+ RX 580 8GB because i regret for being too cheap on the $70 RX 470 card, with only $30 addition on used RX580, i'll get extra 4GB GDDR5 RAM, nice backplate, and extra 10% performance boost. RX470 will be reselled or reallocated to another PC. in the mean time currently trying to setup some CAD SW and Games to try how this Z800 perform in real life. so far, trying to load few sample models in Inventors simultaneously and playing Assasin's Creed Origin is a breeze experience. still struggling to make Titan Fall to work in this mainframe. really, i believe RX 470 is more than adequate for regular gamers imho, 60fps++ on 720p is easily achievable, 40fps+ on 1080p is more than what people use to be happy with at much lower res... for more tighter budget, a used 2GB RAM card should also do the job as minimum requirement (Titan Fall)...

this really bring up the memory of once upon in time :P except this time is much much more details and complexity compared to games decades ago. my Radeon HD4650 1GB is feeling old now.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:34:22 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #338 on: October 09, 2019, 05:26:15 am »
Assassin's Creed Origin on HP Z800 + Radeon RX470 4GB OC (720P) Quick Test

Autodesk Inventor Pro 2019 on HP Z800 + Radeon RX470 4GB OC (720P) Quick Test

edit: at last... the game that is...
Noobs Playing Titan Fall 2 on HP Z800 + Radeon RX470 4GB OC (720P)

https://www.ea.com/games/titanfall/titanfall-2/buy
https://www.origin.com/sgp/en-us/store/assassins-creed/assassins-creed-origins
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 08:25:55 pm by Mechatrommer »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #339 on: November 20, 2019, 05:11:17 am »
Random Warm Shack air cooled testing 35C ambient on the bench.

Ryzen 3700X, Gigabyte B450 WiFi, Gigabyte 5700XT Gaming OC, couple of Samsung NVME and 32GB of memory stuffed in a Cooler Master H500 (non P).

Not very thorough but just a sanity check for me on the setup for the upcoming Summer when the Shack can hit well into the 40's at times.

Max CPU Temps on any of the test got to 78C and generally sat at low to mid 60's, Drives mid 50C peak of 58C. No figures on the GPU but it was far from loud even running Heaven which is 100%GPU usage.

Ran Heaven for 20 minutes and tested running 100+FPS @ 1440 and backed it up with a run through PC Mark 10.

No I won't be running out and dropping in a watercooler 'yet' and with a high ambient environment I would suggest any gains in clock speed or performance would be minimal as the cooler will get to equilibrium with the ambient fairly quickly in these conditions.

Flameporoof suit and bucket of water available  :box: :-DD

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 05:14:36 am by beanflying »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf