Author Topic: SoftBank considering selling ARM  (Read 15704 times)

Offline filssavi

• Frequent Contributor
Re: SoftBank considering selling ARM
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2020, 06:54:19 am »
So what does it mean for ARM µC's? shall I just go off and learn some other chip series?

Nothing. If nVidia is to jeopardize the ARM MCU market, do you think your UK government will let it happen and f* all UK engineers? Unless ARM says f* off UK market, UK government has the rights to vote.
In the short term I expect no changes, especially for microcontrollers.

In the long run though I expect nvidia to drop there ARM branding altogether, and fire/relocate the UK team as soon as they can wiggle themselves out of the UK government protection clauses.

I expect them to stop selling the IP for the A series of cores and start doing their own silicon, much better than anything else other parties have to offer (by giving other people the specs for the next architectures at the last minute for example), Quickly becoming the dominant player in the Android space (maybe aided by selling at a loss at first, undercutting the competition). This will almost certainly push Qualcomm out of the mobile processors market, and probably Samsung as well. Once they have a solid lead in market share( 80%+) they will start jacking up the prices significantly (as they did with GPUs) so I expect prices of phones to raise significantly as a result.

In the server market they will come out with their own chips, they will also stop licensing stuff to other companies in that space, or if they legally can’t (unlikely) thy will jack license prices up so much (shkreli stile) that they will drop out of the race

Amazon, apple and other similar size companies will probably not be affected, as I assume their legal department will have gone over everything in the contract with an extremely fine toothed comb, making sure they can continue to use and develop aarch64 autonomously.

The microcontroller space will ignored at first, in the long run I see two scenarios, best case nvidia will keep operating as ARM is now so they are able to pretend to support competition, market and all of that if the antitrust authorities wake up to the shady anticompetitive practices they have been pulling for decades. The second, frankly more probable scenario is that they will abandon the segment and stop developing new cores, as there just isn’t enough money to be made (the margins on MCUs are way to low for an nvidia style company). That said the current offer is probably more than good enough for the foreseeable future in terms of pure MCUs. For the more IoT/edge computing use cases where a little more grunt is necessary I guess RISCV could fill the gap, if nvidia doesn’t decide to compete

Offline filssavi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2020, 07:00:53 am »
So what does it mean for ARM µC's? shall I just go off and learn some other chip series?

Nothing. If nVidia is to jeopardize the ARM MCU market, do you think your UK government will let it happen and f* all UK engineers? Unless ARM says f* off UK market, UK government has the rights to vote.

UK government only cares about the jobs, not what products the engineers are developing, nvidia will keep the UK team, for the time being (no way they don’t find a way to sack them in the future 5-10 year).

The only hope would have been a EU level movement to retain the talent given that the USA are not our allies anymore, however with Brexit and BoJo desperate for a UK-US  trade deal, I don’t think we can really count on that happening

Thus new MCU development will probably stop as soon as the deal goes through

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2020, 07:09:14 am »
I wonder what this means for Nvidias RISC-V interests.

AFAIK they are one of the biggest producers of RISC-V cores, embedded in their GPUs. If they now own ARM, will they ditch RISC-V and start embedding ARM cores instead?

Seems like a big loss to RISC-V if such a thing were to come true.

Offline filssavi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2020, 07:16:58 am »
Keeping two processors design team just for the good of the RISCV community doesn’t seem very nvidia like  :-DD

Also any RISCV processor nvidia might be using is just some random core embedded deep into their GPU and it is probably very far from being user programmable, especially given the secrecy around even the GPU low level interface, thus I don’t think a RISCV -> ARM transition would not even be noticed by the GPU users

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2020, 07:35:08 am »
I remember when Apple bought PA Semi.
It sucked.  We were going to use those chips.  :-(

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2020, 10:03:53 am »

Using the UK as an example doesn't really work. The UK MCU market is now too small for anyone to care about losing it.

Offline TheNewLab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2020, 10:34:54 am »
Wait, I am just waking up to this. When did Nvidia become USA? I thought it was ROC Tawan manufacturer?

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2020, 10:44:05 am »
Wait, I am just waking up to this. When did Nvidia become USA? I thought it was ROC Tawan manufacturer?
nVidia is an American company. They don't actually make anything. All their production is in Asia, at TSMC and a bunch of assembly and test sub-contractors, but the company is American.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2020, 10:52:25 am »
TSMC make all the ARMs?

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2020, 11:00:45 am »
TSMC make all the ARMs?
Everyone makes ARMs.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2020, 11:02:38 am »
Yea i mean they are a huge player in the phone market aren't they? they are the actual fab that make's most phone ARM chips, I'm not talking about micro controller makers (low M series)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2020, 11:10:53 am »
Yea i mean they are a huge player in the phone market aren't they? they are the actual fab that make's most phone ARM chips, I'm not talking about micro controller makers (low M series)
This depends on the season. Some years TSMC seems to make almost all phone chips. Some years Samsung and others get a fair chunk of the work. Its all a matter of who has the best performing process that year, the best prices, and adequate capacity. Phone chips are usually made in the finest geometry processes available, so there aren't many fabs which can handle them. The great danger for the people farming out work to these fabs is the number of suitable fabs may shrink to one, and they will be in a monopoly situation, with all the problems that brings.

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2020, 03:54:28 pm »
Gosh Simon,

you just motivated me to add a rule to my add blocker for the whole simonelectronics domain.
I'm not sure if that was your intention.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2020, 03:57:21 pm »
Gosh Simon,

you just motivated me to add a rule to my add blocker for the whole simonelectronics domain.
I'm not sure if that was your intention.

obviously not and your choice, it's been like that a while and I am not the only one. As for Ad blocker, it's part of my signature. I spent a long time looking at sizes to get a balance compromise of being able to see it but not too big.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf