Author Topic: Safe Site to Download Legacy Software  (Read 1349 times)

Offline jpanhaltTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Safe Site to Download Legacy Software
« on: March 11, 2023, 04:43:00 pm »
My new Nikon Z30 is outside the return window, and I discovered that Nikon removed all links to legacy software and firmware on June 30.2022.  I wish I had seen that earlier.  Nikon has been contacted and won't budge. Did it destroy the software?  I doubt it. 

What I need is "Capture NX-D," which is known by other names such as NX Studio Ver1.2.0 (not 1.3.1).  There are a lot of sites that provide downloads.  I sorted through several and found two that seem safe:
1) download.io
2) LO4D.com

Of the two, LO4D seems to have the better reputation, but that is not very convincing.  Does anyone here have experience with either or can propose a 3rd option?  My worry is mostly about malware and pup's. 

John

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Safe Site to Download Legacy Software
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 04:55:48 pm »
Softpedia has a good reputation, and still preserves old software.  I've used it many times in the past, never ever got anything malicious from there.  Google whatever program name you need followed by Softpedia.  If they have it, it's safe to download and install.

The following users thanked this post: jpanhalt

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 05:29:19 pm »
@andy3055
That's a false flag.  Click on the link, and it goes directly to the newest 2023  version.

I tired a lot of ways around that and got nowhere.  Then I went to Nikon Rumors and found the official letter from Nikon of the decision.  I even went through the hassle of calling Nikon support, and it was adamant.  No archived software is available.  Sure glad I don't own an older Nikon DSL camera.  All I want to do is open a NEF ("nikon electronic format," aka raw file) for manipulation.  Nikon's attitude is disappointing -- somewhat reminiscent of Mr. Smith's attitude* before he ran GM into the ground.

John

*"Americans will like what we build for them."  That preceded Honda's and Toyota's takeover of the market by a few years.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 05:45:53 pm »
1. What is the problem with using the current NX-D version?

2. What image editor do you use?  You can open NEF files in Photoshop, GIMP (via plugins), etc.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 06:42:04 pm »
I use Windows 7 for everything and have several purchased -- not subscription -- programs that won't run on Windows 10.  I am not going to start subscribing  for a few $1000 for programs I use rarely.

I am trying to find a safe site to download  Nikon NX-D.  Just spent some time on softpedia.com and couldn't find it.  I did find a Canon codec that will work with Win7, but I don't know how to get it recognized by PS or any other image program.  My Photoshop is CS3. I might upgrade that to a later purchased/free version to get more compatibility.

Offline 2N2222A

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 07:03:52 pm »
You can scan the downloaded files on https://virusscan.jotti.org/

It will tell you the first seen date of the files. Something that shows no viruses and was first seen over 2 years ago is usually safe.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 07:59:54 pm »
I use Windows 7 for everything and have several purchased -- not subscription -- programs that won't run on Windows 10.  I am not going to start subscribing  for a few $1000 for programs I use rarely.
I have found it handy to set up a Windows 10 VM.

My Photoshop is CS3. I might upgrade that to a later purchased/free version to get more compatibility.
Have you updated your Camera Raw plugin?  I suspect you do need a newer version of Photoshop to be able to install a version of Camera Raw that supports your camera, but it's worth a try.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 11:36:02 pm by edavid »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2023, 08:20:14 pm »
How do you setup a virtual Win10 machine on a Win7Pro 32/64?  I have never heard of such a thing, but I really don't spend any time keeping up with computers.

I am just about ready to get a Windows 10 laptop for my current occasional use, e.g., taxes, photo editing, getting past St. Peter. ;)

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2023, 08:42:51 pm »
If you're going that route, unless you really, really need to drag a machine around with you, don't get a laptop. I would suggest go somewhere like Newegg and look for an off lease refurbished desk top. I'd look for an SFF Lenovo, but go with what ever brand you prefer. These machines can be surprisingly cheap. I got one a few years ago for $150. Still using it now.

I am just about ready to get a Windows 10 laptop for my current occasional use, e.g., taxes, photo editing, getting past St. Peter. ;)

edit: Of course most refurbs don't come with a monitor (or even a keyboard and mouse). So if you don't have extras of those lying around a laptop would have an advantage.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 08:46:13 pm by rdl »

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2023, 10:32:19 pm »
How do you setup a virtual Win10 machine on a Win7Pro 32/64?  I have never heard of such a thing, but I really don't spend any time keeping up with computers.

Short version: install VirtualBox (free software), create a VM, install Windows 10 on it

The first time you do it, it's more work than just buying a physical computer with Windows 10 installed, as you have planned.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2023, 11:28:14 pm »
Refurbished desktop, if I have the space, or VM is a lot to think about.  I have one daughter and one SIL (who writes serious apps for phones) to hear from.  I will give a follow-up after I hear.  I have plenty of monitors, including a duplicate of the one I currently use*, keyboards and mouses.  I don't really need any more of those.

John

*When I was working, I was very sensitive about connecting my work PC to the Internet and almost never did.  I had two completely separate systems with identical monitors.    Both PC's were current Windows.  I retired, destroyed the hard drive for the work PC, kept all the other other hardware, and built my current PC in 2015 with an update about 4 years later.  My monitors are Samsung 213T's.  Boat anchors by current standards, but they have served me well. 

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2023, 04:17:45 am »
I usually default first to using Archive.org to see if the original files can be gained from archived copies of the original/manufacturers website.

If you're able to work out a common directory all downloads come from (e.g.: domain.com/downloads/) you can filter for specific file types and bring up a listing of what has been captured over every date. I've used this technique successfully before to find .ZIP and .EXE files from old domains. This gets a bit harder with more modern sites with "dynamic" download links.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 01:12:01 am by Halcyon »

The following users thanked this post: jpanhalt, MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
Re: Safe Site to Download Legacy Software (SOLVED)
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2023, 11:54:46 am »
Sorry for the slow reply.  I have not had much time to play with it.  Decent  (e.g., Dell Inspiron) laptops can be quite inexpensive.  I haven't decided to go that route yet and may try the VM route first.  I will probably go with a new laptop or VM before refurbished desktop, mostly for space reasons. I have plenty of monitors, keyboards, and mice if needed.  The laptop could stay downstairs where I do the sort of stuff needing Win 10.

As for alternative sites to open and/or download software, thank you.  Earlier today, I tried Archive.com.  I was aware of the way back machine and had wrongly assumed it was just a visual image of a site's pages.  After a bit of fiddling, I was able to get to and download Capture NXD v.1.2.1.  It installed and seems to work.  Not sure whether its date is Nov. 28,2014 or Feb. 6, 2021.  It does allow running in "Windows Vista compatibility" mode which I take as a sign it should work with Windows 7.  Attached is a RAW/NEF capture that was opened with that program.  To be usable, Capture NXD will take a lot of learning.  That is, it is not as intuitive as Photoshop CS3.

I will also try RawTherapee.

Thank you for the help.
Regards, John

EDIT#1
I just downloaded and installed RawTherapee.  It seems a little easier and considerably faster than Nikon's Capture NXD.  There even seem to be, at least on Google, more user resources on the web.  Thanks again.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 11:05:30 am by jpanhalt »

The following users thanked this post: karpouzi9

Offline 2N2222A

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2023, 02:19:38 pm »

Short version: install VirtualBox (free software), create a VM, install Windows 10 on it

The first time you do it, it's more work than just buying a physical computer with Windows 10 installed, as you have planned.
Is there some trick to running Win 8 or 10 x64 in Virtualbox? The 32-bit version worked fine as a guest. I think I was using an older Virtualbox though. The host CPU was Win 8.1 x86 compatible.

Offline mapleLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2023, 04:25:41 pm »

Is there some trick to running Win 8 or 10 x64 in Virtualbox? The 32-bit version worked fine as a guest. I think I was using an older Virtualbox though. The host CPU was Win 8.1 x86 compatible.

You can virtualize your own desktop computer, which is what I recently did, using the SysInternals tool https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/disk2vhd

After creating a vhdx you can install hyper v and run that machine anywhere.  Do not run it on the same host you created it from.  If you want to create a windows install of Win 10, you need a windows ISO and there are a ton of tutorials on youtube

The kind of stuff your describing is meaningless until its not.  Imagine in 20 years you need to get at something, and you still can just by archiving images of old computers.  I have unwittingly been doing this for about a decade now as I had to virtualize desktops and servers I had used.  I looked a while back, and I have a decent history of preconfigured environments.

It takes on more meaning today as these new mikrosoft operating systems are kinda gross with the constant desire to shove approved news down your throat.  I am glad I have a win7 virtualized, etc.

We are seeing a curve of sorts, these companies innovated, gained "trust", started to abuse it, now really have the pole in our a**, not a bad idea to be able to revert.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf