Author Topic: Please MS just go to hell...  (Read 39631 times)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Please MS just go to hell...
« Reply #275 on: August 13, 2021, 05:55:49 pm »
Most people think of the A500 when talking about C= Amiga. When I retired my A2000 it had a 68040 @ 40 MHz with > 16 MB RAM, two SCSI HDDs, an ISDN TA, a NIC plus TCP/IP stack, and a high resolution graphics card with VGA output. The 486 and Pentium PCs alongside were sluggish compared to the A2000. Later on it was replaced by an AMD K6-2 @ 450 MHz.

Yep. You can also of course mention the Amiga 1000 for history, which predates the A500, but for the beefier stuff, also the A3000 and A4000 (and even A4000T in a tower case.)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #276 on: August 13, 2021, 06:32:31 pm »
In the late 90s I was in the Music and Video Exchange here which was a junk shop full of all sorts of stuff. There was an Amiga 1500 for £10 and a JVC 100W amplifier for £10. I took the JVC and don't regret it  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline PKTKSTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #277 on: August 13, 2021, 06:46:11 pm »

I am forced to use windows for work.

I basically run a Debian VM and use PuTTY to SSH into it and fire up tmux and do all my shit in there. Windows does fine alt tabbing between slack, putty and Firefox  :-DD

Jeeezsuuss..

Who in perfect mental health at this point still forces people to run UNIX inside a crock of shit MS OS..

You have my deep respects

Paul

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #278 on: August 13, 2021, 06:50:22 pm »
Hey at least the power management works properly on windows though  :-DD

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #279 on: August 13, 2021, 07:00:17 pm »
Hey at least the power management works properly on windows though  :-DD
That varies a lot from update to update.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #280 on: August 13, 2021, 07:04:06 pm »
Not had any problem for years with that here.

Linux on the other hand when I was running it on laptops was a 50/50 always if it woke up again when you opened the lid.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #281 on: August 13, 2021, 07:24:11 pm »
Not had any problem for years with that here.

Linux on the other hand when I was running it on laptops was a 50/50 always if it woke up again when you opened the lid.
I had endless trouble throughout the life of Win 7 with power management. I haven't really used Win 10 that much, so I have no opinion there. The fact that they could get to 2016 without reliable updates makes their performance bloody awful, even if they might have now cleaned up their act since then.

Over the years I've mostly relied on suspend to RAM with Linux notebooks, and that has worked well. Suspend to disc has a dodgy history.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #282 on: August 13, 2021, 08:48:00 pm »
My experience is similar to BD139; Linux is very finicky when suspending to RAM or Disk. I suspect that, most of the time, the video subsystem is the one to blame.

As for other issues, multi-displays in Linux are ok-ish, although scaling is still suffering. It still lags behind in comparison with how Windows improved since its introduction in Win98 (XP still had some issues here and there but I had zero issues with 7). Windows over the years was terrible for dock/undock - this improved for me with Windows 10 (used at my work laptop).

So, all this is a continuum. Of course, unless there are regression bugs... :)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #283 on: August 13, 2021, 08:52:52 pm »
It's an epic shit show sometimes. They actually broke alt-tab for about 3 months a while back in windows  :palm:

I want to go back to the 80s. The bugs were there but you got to know them and they didn't keep getting swapped out for new even more interesting ones.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #284 on: August 13, 2021, 09:25:06 pm »
As for other issues, multi-displays in Linux are ok-ish, although scaling is still suffering. It still lags behind in comparison with how Windows improved since its introduction in Win98 (XP still had some issues here and there but I had zero issues with 7). Windows over the years was terrible for dock/undock - this improved for me with Windows 10 (used at my work laptop).
What's wrong with scaling in Linux? Using the nouveau drivers for multi-display Linux has issues, but I haven't had a problem using the nVidia drivers in many many years. Scaling and multiple displays with Windows is a horrible mess.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #285 on: August 14, 2021, 02:46:30 am »
Most people think of the A500 when talking about C= Amiga. When I retired my A2000 it had a 68040 @ 40 MHz with > 16 MB RAM, two SCSI HDDs, an ISDN TA, a NIC plus TCP/IP stack, and a high resolution graphics card with VGA output. The 486 and Pentium PCs alongside were sluggish compared to the A2000. Later on it was replaced by an AMD K6-2 @ 450 MHz.
If that was an RCS Management's Fusion 40, you can thank me for being outsourced and becoming friends with the developers in here in Montreal after I solved their initial over-heating problem just as they begun with their first 25MHz version.  (It was a buss collision conflict on the Zorro 1 CPU slot generated by the imperfect voltage & timing that the Amiga custom chipset generated when occupying the bus which the normal 68000 wouldn't care about.)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #286 on: August 14, 2021, 11:06:44 am »
Sweet memories! :) In my case it was a Phase5 Blizzard 2040.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #287 on: August 14, 2021, 01:45:31 pm »
My experience is similar to BD139; Linux is very finicky when suspending to RAM or Disk. I suspect that, most of the time, the video subsystem is the one to blame.
I agree.  I have an HP EliteBook 820 G2 and a 840 G4 (the latter has a much nicer display BTW), using built-in Intel graphics with the in-kernel drivers, and they suspend (to RAM or to disk) just fine.  (Four, five years of active use now.)

In both, the built-in touchpad (Synaptics SynPS/2) has occasional glitches waking up, somehow dropping multi-touch support and acceleration/speed profile, but unloading and reloading the driver (psmouse) fixes those.  The 840 G4 is now running on its second battery (the first one started expanding), and a replacement keyboard (25€ off eBay, seems OEM or equivalent quality, but couldn't find Finnish layout, so now my keycaps have a few Norwegian caps instead of the Finnish ones (Ø instead of Ö, Æ instead of Ä, plus three caps with partially incorrect glyphs near the corners of the keyboard).  Just make sure you have a fast SSD when using a Linux laptop; that makes the most difference user-experience-wise.

Suspend to disk (hibernation) is a bit weird case, because there are two completely separate ways to do it.  One is to let the kernel handle it, putting the image into swap.  This has the downside that depending on the swap size and state, the suspend may actually fail occasionally.  The other is to use userspace tools like uswsusp (µswsusp) or hibernate.  Some tools like commonly used pm-utils can support all three (kernel, uswsusp, hibernate).  On many machines, all three work fine; but on some, depending on the hardware, only two or one of them works reliably.  On some systems, a kernel driver (especially video drivers) can prevent suspend-to-disk, because they do not provide the power manager hooks the kernel needs to do this.  In some cases, (privileged) userspace applications or services can prevent suspend and hibernation.

In the last five or so years, I do have observed more and more issues that can be traced to internal systemd interactions, that really need a reboot to solve.  The common thing seems to be when a component gets updated during runtime (say, a security patch).  These often look like kernel issues (except that if one has a console terminal open with root logged in, simple testing shows that the kernel is still operating normally, while userspace is seriously glitching), and are treated as such by most users and distribution maintainers, so the true impact of systemd to stability is unfortunately hidden.  (One of my hobbies is tracking the root cause of these problems, and I'm skilled in this enough to have done e.g. kernel runtime patching and discovering rare bugs in standard libraries.  It is dull drudge work, unless like me, you're addicted to problem solving.)

Now, I'm not as anti-systemd as PKTKS, but I see its impact on system stability and versatility, and I'm not happy about it, because as a completely optional userspace component – there is e.g. Devuan, a Debian fork without systemd; and many embedded distros like OpenWRT also do not use systemd – with severe stability and security deficiencies it negatively affects systems, but its effects are usually ascribed to the Linux kernel.  I hate that kind of blame-shifting.

For those who shut down and boot their Linux machines often enough, systemd tends to work without issues, so I am not saying it is useless.  For some, it works just fine, and that makes it useful and worthwhile to such users.  For organizations with lots of Linux machines, it may be a necessity, because finding support personnel for Linux that are familiar with systemd tends to be cheaper than finding those who can maintain a better customized system; and most bosses are unable to calculate the actual cost-benefit ratios of the two approaches, and prefer to go with the flow and not take any risks (that they cannot blame on someone else).

My main gripe is that in Linux, we have enough headaches by having a monolithic kernel (in that using proprietary video drivers makes it impossible to debug kernel issues, as those drivers' bugs can affect any part of the kernel, since there is no isolation at all between drivers); and now a lot of developers are trying to consolidate base system userspace services into a similar monolithic blob suffering from numerous single-point failure scenarios.  It just makes no sense to me why they want that, and don't see the serious negative aspects at all.  Like they've forgotten the decades of useful Unix paradigm experiences, and are shifting towards the Microsoft Windows model of operation.
:-//

To tie the above to this particular thread, just the other day I stumbled into another serious WSL2 issue wrt. Microsoft's current "Linux" support: DNS issues.  In short, the WSL2 DNS component completely fucks up some name lookups.  In the case of "baidu.com", it inserts the results for "nsX.baidu.com", causing e.g. getnameinfo() C library function call to provide those too as the results for "baidu.com".

I'm sure this is to work around some kind of bug in the way Windows itself processes name service queries; probably somehow it needs those results for reverse lookup support, and internally filters them out.  It is exactly the sort of fuckwittery MS did with OOXML (by defining certain properties as "model borders like Word 7", "model borders like Word 6", instead of defining their effects directly), which killed that "standard".  They do say Microsoft is today much better wrt. its free/open source competitors, but this kind of stuff indicates old habits are deeply embedded within their corporate culture.

Which is the reason I personally still don't trust Microsoft.  I mean, I don't trust them to do the best thing to their shareholders; the above kind of fuckwittery is too deeply embedded in their middle management, no matter what their board and chiefs and the design and programming teams intend.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #288 on: August 14, 2021, 02:46:32 pm »
(..)
Now, I'm not as anti-systemd as PKTKS, but I see its impact on system stability and versatility

:popcorn: :-DD

My 6y old nephew loves the MINT (buntu POTTERIX thing) I have made for him..

He is totally obsessed about Sgt MarkIV (ALIS) BRUTAL DOOM with COD ammo mods...
It plays that restless switching ammos in COMIC BLOOD level..  ::) ::) ::)

I love that shit..
POTTERIX is made for 3 to 10? y.old kids..

Now.. seriously?  Would I ever put such insane garbage  glued together on a workstation?
Not a chance in hell but he loves it.  ^-^

And he already can do all MSSCE certificated stuff he is a MerdSoft - Crock of Shit Expert..
he "upgrade system"  (I showed that icon once and never forget that..  :-DD)..
he boots he start game .. shit like hell  everything icon he can do.

Would I be against POTTERIX? no.
Would I use it for myself or serious stuff? never  :o

Paul  :-+

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #289 on: August 14, 2021, 06:24:38 pm »
In the late 90s I was in the Music and Video Exchange here which was a junk shop full of all sorts of stuff. There was an Amiga 1500 for £10 and a JVC 100W amplifier for £10. I took the JVC and don't regret it  :-DD

The 1500 is a pretty rare item as far as I've seen.
These days it would be worth a lot more than your JVC amplifier. But as far as being useful for daily use, I don't blame you. As an investment, I think you missed it though! :-DD

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #290 on: August 14, 2021, 09:29:26 pm »

These days it would be worth a lot more than your JVC amplifier. But as far as being useful for daily use, I don't blame you. As an investment, I think you missed it though! :-DD
5 years ago, I sold my completely jam packed A4000 on Ebay for 4.5k$USD.  Here is what it had:
Code: [Select]
Amiga 4000/040, 33MHz, rare PCB cad software, 24 bit color EGS Spectrum 2MB graphics card + killer over 40 apps/programs installed.

-System and boxing includes-

Amiga:
North American 120v power supply.
33MHz 68040 with CPU fan.
2 MB Chip ram
16 MB Fast ram
2 MB 24 bit color EGS Spectrum video card
Kickstart version 40.63  (Known at Amiga Kickstart 3.1)
Workbench version 40.42  (Known at Amiga Workbench 3.1)
800 MB hard drive.

Amiga 4000 keyboard
Amiga mouse
Amiga VGA adapter plug with EGS Spectrum video card pass-thru cable.

I've made & included a PC CD-R disc with backup of the Amiga 4000's HD and a configured Amiga WinUAE emulator to optionally run my Amiga's HD on a window's PC.

The Amiga's clock battery was removed approximately 8 years ago.  The PCB is clean without any battery acid residue.
A new NiMH battery has been installed and charged for 2 days prior to boxing.
This Amiga has been tested before boxing & verified to function 100%.

For those who want this Amiga specifically for PCB cad design, read below, for everybody else, all the other applications installed are listed below the second line...
----------------------------------------------------------------
From 'Prolific Inc.', installed PCB Cad & Schematic capture software:

Pro-Board 3  -  PCB cad software.
Special exclusive existing version 3.04 (Jun 8 1993).  A year after Prolific Inc. closed down, I luckily tracked down the programmer, had him make this special version for me by purchasing a full CAD package at the time.  This special version allows 'SMC' video mode changer software to work with 'Pro-board 3' to run in video modes above 640x400, on the EGS video card.  (I typically used 1024x768)

(All other 'Prolific Inc.' PCB cad software from here on in will max out at 640x400)

Pro-Lib  -  version 3.03 1991
Library footprint generator.

Pro-Drill / Pro-Plot – Print PCBs
Print, or, plot PCBs / and Generate gerber files.

Pro-Net and Plot – Version 2.0C
Schematic capture software.

Special inclusions:
My PCBs including the RCS Management's Excalibur PCB I designed for them. (pcb name 'A4000BG1')
My normal 1x scale sized library, plus, my special 2x & 5x library designed for super small pitched modern PCB SMD components.

My 'scalegerber' utility  - (Written by me)
1. Converts really old gerber format generated by Pro-Board3 to a more modern type with embedded aperatures.
2. For working with my custom 2x and 5x scaled PCBs, it shrinks the PCB gerbers to a 1x size for production.

I will provide email technical support for the PCB cad questions.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Installed software:

Monitor Video Drivers:  (You can only choose 1 of these 2 at a time.  CyberGraphX is the current default.  Inside Devs/Monitort, swap 'Spectrum' with 'EGS' and reboot.)
CyberGraphX Version 2.11  (Faster)
EGS retargetable true color window system library version 7.9  (Slower, but, EGS utilities will now work.)

smc, or, mc (ECS graphic) – Mode changer – forces applications to use the selected video mode instead of the old Amiga chipset graphics mode.
        USE "sm???x???" when using EGS's video drivers.
        USE  "mc" when using CyberGraphicX video drivers.

Utilities:
Quarterback 6.0 - system backup utility
Quarterback 5.0 - system backup utility
Tools: Calc – scientific calculator
Task v2.5 – software task priority editor
VCLI 7.0 – Voice recognition software. (Requires an audio digitizer)
PV – Powervisor

Modem:
term  v4.3
JR-Comm v1.2

LW/Lightrave – Software only version of Lightwave 3D 4000 v3.0 from NewTek's video Toaster

DCTV v1.1b – NTSC (requires hardware)

Music/
Spectrogram – audio spectrum analyser
AudiomasterIII – Audio sampling & editing software
Audition4 - Audio sampling & editing software
CD Player Simulator – audio IFF player software
EdPlayer – midi sequence player.
LED – tunr on&off the Amiga low pass audio filter

AC-basic – Absoft AC/Basic compiler Version 1.3
GPFax – Supra Modem fax emulator software version
DTP – Final Writer – word processor, version 1, October 21, 1993, English.
DTP – PageStream V2.2, US
Saxonscript – Postscript interpreter and renderer – version 1.00
Lemmings 2 – video game....
SASC_C – C compiler version 6.3
ADPro - Art Department Professional v 2.5.0  - Image format converter, Scanner, Filters, Enhancer
OCR – Migraph OCR v1.00 – optical character recognition.
DpaintV – Deluxe Paint 5.0, supports 24 bit video modes
Graphics / Photon Paint 2.0  HAM mode paint software.
ProScan v1.0 – scanner software for cheap monochrome scanners
Uchess – animated chess game
Moned – Amiga AGA monitor editor  (only use if you know what you are doing...)
Monitors – Additional home made monitors modes. (only use if you know what you are doing...)
Scale – Desktop magnifying glass
'A'  - PC 3.5inch floppy drive emulator
'CD0' – CD filesystem for CD Rom drives
EGS – Full EGS drivers and software applications, games, tools which came with the 24bit video card
EGS-Paint – EGS paint software (Only works when using EGS video drivers running).
PC – (Requires a 386SX bridge board to be installed to work)
CybergraphX – alternate EGS video card driver instalation  tools.
Degrader v1.3 – Reboot the Amiga 4000 in lower older OS, older chipset to run old floppy disc video games & force 31Khz doublescan AGA VGA mode for older video games.
Directory Opus v4.0 -  File management utility, reader, and other tools
View – image viewer & anim player
Cyberview – 24 bit image viewer displayed on 24 bit card.  (Requires CyberGraphX drivers running)

Truly equipped for the 'Amiga Lover'.

It was in near mint condition, no plastic coloration, run in a smoke free environment, original box.
If I kept my A1000 and A3000 in the same condition, they would also generate ~1-2K$.  If I kept my A1000 in mint condition, with all original boxing and manuals, it may would have been worth a lot more.

If anyone wants my A4000 WinUAE image (all software), with everything working, let me know and I'll send it out...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 10:00:53 pm by BrianHG »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #291 on: August 14, 2021, 10:59:19 pm »

I have a habit of turning down things which may be a good investment  :palm:

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2021, 12:16:26 pm »
I did not read the 12 pages, I just skimmed 5 minutes over it.

I will do a dual boot maybe. Anyway looking at my 3 months old child, I need to learn the Linux stuff better (I already got nice experience with FreeBSD...).
M$ has no future in the long run, or it will be in the hands of dumb people.

I need to save my child.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #293 on: August 16, 2021, 12:26:40 pm »
That’s a good way of looking at it  :-+

On a positive note my eldest’s boyfriend uses Linux. I was surprised at that.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #294 on: August 16, 2021, 02:01:01 pm »
drooling at Ubuntustudio now.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #295 on: August 16, 2021, 03:53:12 pm »

I've seen these "BUZZwordys...  " like Studio and Scientific and etc &al

They all lack a most simple  puddin  issue:
-  First and foremost - proprietary CODECs you can actually drop and use.
 they all mostly are spread across other packs  (similar issue on windooze.. but
some folks crafted a huge packed codec thing to drop in)

- Second and more troublesome  is the total lack of real EDA and CAD support.
By that you can enlist FORTRAN and LISP and all associated kits like BLAS LAPACK
and ready made interfaces..  that include PERL mostly where PDL and TeX power
are above the question.

- Complete absence of KiCAD and xCAD (FreeCAD, librCAD etal) associated file support
and wide system support...

That includes  SANITIZED  GPU drivers (which are garbage trashed by proprietary stuff)
and all other WORKSTATION WIDE setup.. (NAS readiness and inter workspace setup)

Being Xorg deprecated to wayland the inter workspace setup became a messy problem

Other factors and issue still plague a real Workstation setup for CAD/EDA and
intensive Math simulation capabilities..

The folks are still  bounded (sicked) by that GUI paradigm thing..
instead of  "functionality" they offer that zero setup thing..

Nevertheless..  IT IS A WIDE STEP OVER last decades all property shit..  :popcorn:

wide step really.  My nephew loves that kinda of shit
Paul

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #296 on: August 16, 2021, 06:46:31 pm »

I've seen these "BUZZwordys...  " like Studio and Scientific and etc &al

They all lack a most simple  puddin  issue:
-  First and foremost - proprietary CODECs you can actually drop and use.
 they all mostly are spread across other packs  (similar issue on windooze.. but
some folks crafted a huge packed codec thing to drop in)
https://itsfoss.com/install-media-codecs-ubuntu/

- Second and more troublesome  is the total lack of real EDA and CAD support.
err... I don't think UbuntuStudio caters to engineering. Audio/video production are much narrower and covered by a handful of tools - although the interfaces of the image/publishing are quite difficult to navigate (Blender, Inkscape).

The "science" distros had troubles simply due to the vast array of specialties in the sciences.

The folks are still  bounded (sicked) by that GUI paradigm thing..
instead of  "functionality" they offer that zero setup thing..
In the days of Mandrake, zero setup was something that got my dad back into the Linux arena - and he was quite tech savvy, but just didn't see the benefit in diving into Slackware and its incredibly steep learning curve to reach a point so he could do anything useful with the OS (printers, graphics, network/TCP/IP were all terribly convoluted). Even still, there was quite a lot to get on board by today's standards.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #297 on: August 16, 2021, 06:59:58 pm »
They do not setup a real workstation...

There is also a total lack of AVR functionality..  which should include compiler..  tools..

And a proper sigrok installation...

Paul

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #298 on: August 16, 2021, 07:28:40 pm »
What does a "real" workstation consist of then? I am eager to know this  :-DD

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #299 on: August 16, 2021, 07:39:58 pm »
What does a "real" workstation consist of then? I am eager to know this  :-DD
I'll start: my ancient network gateway at work was a Dell Optiplex GX110 Pentium III 533MHz running Slackware 12 and, equipped with a 1Gbps Ethernet adapter with 9k jumbo packets and no GUI, it was the only machine at the time that I could run benchmarks of GigEth (2010, 2011).

"Workstation"? Well, it was at work and it was an incredibly useful station, so...   :P

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf