Author Topic: Fusion 360 & Cura PC  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Nuno_ptTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Fusion 360 & Cura PC
« on: May 12, 2020, 11:22:55 am »
Hi guys, I'm starting with 3D printing to print somethings for the kids just for fun, but I need a new PC, since my old laptop can't run F360.

I was looking at the small PC's like the NUC from Intel, since they are small and don't take much space on the bench, I saw Hystou small PC's on Ali, is anyone here running this small boxes or should I go to a normal desktop PC?

I see lot of guys on the F360 forum that are using the I7 980x with GTX460, what would be a good build, what you guys are using out there for 3D printing?
Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: Fusion 360 & Cura PC
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 11:53:10 am »
Depends on how much you want to spend on it I suppose. Fusion 360 doesn't really get intensive unless you have really large, complex CAD layouts, use its more advanced computer modeling features, or do a bunch of renders. For simple 3D printing you really just want something with some CPU and some GPU.

The i7 980x and GTX460 has got to be around 10 years old by this point, and yeah, it'll probably work, but if your plans range from brand new NUC to decade old i7, I think you might want to refine your desires and expectations a bit.

If your goal is as cheap as possible something like https://www.seeedstudio.com/ODYSSEY-X86J4105800-p-4445.html will hit the minimum spec of Fusion 360 (not that it's hard to hit what /are/ you running?), heck your first project could be to model and print it a nice case. However if your budget is higher and performance in a small form factor is your goal, the Intel NUCs are excellent options, my suggestion is find ones with AMD or nVidia graphics in them, as Intel graphics tend to be a bit potato.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 12:48:39 pm »
Hi @Ampera, I donĀ“t have plans at least for now to run very complicate things since I'm just starting to wet my feet on the 3D world, some cases, somethings like buttons, tray's for the house, I would like to print somethings to hold my Metcal tips and stands, tweezers etc., some toys for the kids, some stuff for my airsoft guns, like you see nothing to fancy, for now, when I start to make/learn more complicate models by that time probably I already know what should work in terms of PC.

I know that the combo I7 980x & GTX 460 are from last decade, but that was some old post's from the Fusion 360 forum that I could find, the more recent ones the talk about $1000 or more systems, for professional use, so I'm thinking about a hobby degree, the PC would be for the 3D part and to be use on the electronic desk, so my preference would be Something like a NUC, Hystou, but can't seem to find one with nVidia in, just Intel graphics, so I may have to go with mini ITX or full one.

Let me ear your thoughts.
Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 06:27:26 am »
I will drop Fusion onto a recent MITX box I have put together and see how it goes including with local rendering. Rather than my 3700X/32Gb and 5700X box this one is a fairly modest 2400G/16GB and a RX580. If I get bit of time over the weekend I might pull the GPU out of it and see how the APU only goes too as compared to my old I3/8GB system. Last time I ran just the 2400g APU against the I3 it smoked it on SiSoft Sandra so it should handle Fusion ok.

Partially doing this out of interest as I want a dustproof/resistant solution for my CNC Router and Woodworking shed as per the 3D printing thread.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 09:13:20 am »
Hi @beanflying, some guys here at my country also said that the Ryzen 3 APU 2200g or 3200g will run ok, with the integrate GPU, maybe it could run better with a dedicate GPU  :-//, meanwhile I've found this video < > where the guy uses the Ryzen 5 2400g APU with benchmark on the screen, it runs well, maybe it could run better with dedicate GPU :-//.

For a low cost system where you don't need to do heavy things, I think that a sweet spot could be found with this low cost Ryzen APU's or CPU's at $~100.
I'm looking at miniATX case since it takes small space on the bench, almost like the NUC's.

I'll be waiting for your test.
Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 07:10:48 pm »
Are looking to buy a new budget stuff?
I would rather to consider a new low-cost AMD Ryzen 3300X with some video card than "old" 2200g.

Of course, if you need this just to try Fusion or run a few times per year, probably doesn't make sense then.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 01:09:58 am »
I would rather to consider a new low-cost AMD Ryzen 3300X with some video card than "old" 2200g.

Of course, if you need this just to try Fusion or run a few times per year, probably doesn't make sense then.

If I am happy with the 2400G as an APU being 'ok' with Fusion for casual use/tweakage then my inside box is likely to get one of the new 3300's (they look like a bargain for performance) for a bit more poke. The 2400G can then likely head to the Dust proof application with maybe even a fanless cooler?
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 10:41:08 am »

For a test I want to see if for some work for the day to day use of 3D printing, nothing very complicate, like the video above, we could get away it some ~$100 CPU or APU's like the Ryzen 3 3200g in a mITX format to keep the space requirement to a minimum, I'm looking at some boxes with Vesa system, if the ~$100 CPU or APU's are to sluggish we can see some at the ~$140 base.
Nuno
CT2IRY

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 10:56:36 am »
If I am happy with the 2400G as an APU being 'ok' with Fusion for casual use/tweakage then my inside box is likely to get one of the new 3300's (they look like a bargain for performance) for a bit more poke. The 2400G can then likely head to the Dust proof application with maybe even a fanless cooler?

The guy from the videos above have made a low cost system to run F360 with the Ryzen 5 3600, you can see here what he use < https://www.amazon.co.uk/shop/tficadtechnologyforindustry?listId=31GA9U5RQ6TRP > not sure if the GPU can be replace for 4GB one.

But I like the solution of the APU's, so let's see what we can come up with.
Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 11:37:21 am »
What are you going to design?
Basic pieces or small couple part assemblies?
Even an HD4600 iGPU will run that fine, just disable shadows..
Better to just build a small mITX, if you end growing above you iGPU capabilites, just throw a 1050Ti and be done with it, AMD drivers have been dog crap for a long time, so AMD will perform worse, either Intel iGPU's or Nvidia will give you
 much better performance.

An RTX2060 for casual use of a CAD software is beyond being a waste of money, if you want to go that expensive, buy a used P2000 Quadro.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 12:05:21 pm »
Hi @senso, for me just some basic stuff in the beginning, but can evolve, since I've other hobbies, but nothing over complicate.
I was looking at AMD since they are cheap then Intel and at least in benchmarks the new Ryzen are better, but that is worth  :-//
My thinking is make a mITX case, so I was looking at AMD APU's like @beanflying to see if a low cost is possible.

What Intel CPU's or APU's are you thinking, senso?

Meanwhile I look at Lenovo M93p Tiny with I5 4750 but can be upgrade to a XEON E3 -1275L V3, with 8GB RAM but DDR3, this are little, but don't know if it will run F360.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 01:04:23 pm by Nuno_pt »
Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 01:22:46 pm »
What are you going to design?
Basic pieces or small couple part assemblies?
Even an HD4600 iGPU will run that fine, just disable shadows..
Better to just build a small mITX, if you end growing above you iGPU capabilites, just throw a 1050Ti and be done with it, AMD drivers have been dog crap for a long time, so AMD will perform worse, either Intel iGPU's or Nvidia will give you
 much better performance.

An RTX2060 for casual use of a CAD software is beyond being a waste of money, if you want to go that expensive, buy a used P2000 Quadro.

That is absolutely NOT been my experience with AMD and this thread is not the place to debate it either. Slagging off Team A or Team B with all encompassing statements is complete :bullshit: Fanboy BS and slagging can go to the comments sections on youtube where it can be ignored!

There is nothing wrong with Nvidea I just don't own any modern ones to test other than my fairly clunky Quadro on the I3 box.

There is plenty of known alternates of similar GPU performance and as most (me included) much above a 580/590 or 1060-1660 won't gain a lot apart from maybe some render speed which some testing might reveal with some hardware monitoring over the weekend.

Then pick your flavour with some actual information based on performance but the two above should get it done unless you have additional needs for the box.

Cores, Thread count and Speed seems to be fairly poorly benchmarked as far as Fusion (it also keeps evolving) is concerned unless someone else can point to a recent table or test results? Also what is 'acceptable' for a fairly simple model compared to a more complex assembly is going to still be a bit subjective. I do have some models I know used to cause my old I3 issues so the PITA factor vs how the 2400G compares as better or worse then likewise the 2400G has some fairly well tested benchmarks against Intel so pick your flavour/price point. Casual home use and minor PITA is different to cruching complex models to try and make a $ too.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 01:48:27 pm »
Me too I don't like to cheer for team A or B, it will always be some bad experiences from both sides, but the objective here is not that, it's to see if F360 could be run on a low budget system like the CPU's or APU's both Intel or AMD.

Also the point here is for hobby use, not a system to make $$$, or professional use, like rendering cars buildings etc.

beanflying I'll want to see your tests on your models, since you've the I3 & 5 2400g to compare them with same design and see how that goes.

As for benchmarks, that's one that I've been searching for also, but it seems none existent besides some big top dollar stations or CPU's that are recommended but that is for the guys that make a living with F360 or SW, for hobby use we don't see nothing like this, and I know that every case is different (your models maybe are different/complex then mine, the same with @senso), but it's good to share experiences on the systems use, so we could build some kind of benchmark, for my personal case right now is to wet my feet's in 3D world and start printing somethings that I may need or to make some experiences, later when the taste if develop I can see that maybe I need to upgrade the system but by that time I already will have a better idea on what I like to module and I can build another system point at that target.

So for now I'll stay at this target, but one thing I've decide is on a mITX box, but that Lenovo Tiny is also very small.

Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 02:04:19 pm »
There is always the DIY approach for a case if you like. This 3L one was where my 2400G/MITX was until getting the RX580 added causing a case rethink.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/general-computing/$3-500-usd-bang-for-your-buck-systems-new-vs-old-for-the-workbench-or-home/

All you 'NEED' is a PC to run Fusion 360 and a Laser Cutter FIRST  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 02:27:43 pm »
All you 'NEED' is a PC to run Fusion 360 and a Laser Cutter FIRST  :-DD

:-DD :-DD :-DD

Joking aside, very good job, and great looking case.

I remember some years ago I was looking at CNC's (kit's or DIY) to build for some etching for PCB's nothing big till A4 size, but life shift so never look at that again, but never have look at a laser cut kit or DIY.

Might be interesting to revisit that topic again to make company to the 3D printer.

I've plenty of space here, just have to build a new side for the work bench. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:34:05 pm by Nuno_pt »
Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 03:33:09 am »
Bump  :-[ I hadn't forgotten but I have been Creating a torture test to play with  >:D

I will put this past my other couple of PC's with F360 and see how they do with it.

Snip from the Fusion 360 thread

Epic model is now complete.  https://a360.co/2XZg1u0

Some of the details

17 Discrete Externally created custom models linked into the design (some of them then used multiple times) plus about 6 small Models created in the larger model.
Maybe 20-30 externally sourced models/components from various libraries are used within the various models.
Something over 150 Sketches
Having a quick look at some of the sections and there is well over 1000 bodies in the overall model.

Ryzen 3700X 32GB and a 5700XT Cruises fairly much. Typical core loads were under 20%. The GPU numbers peak around 40% if you really spin the model around and memory usage is fairly light peaking at about 8Gb. That all changes when you try an in-canvas (local) render all cores pegged and very light GPU load >:D

So apart from Rendering is seems 8Gb is really borderline and apart from Rendering you can get away with a lot less poke than a 3700X. GPU load in interesting in that Fusion doesn't use it in the Renders and even spinning the 1000 bodies around it only hit 40% maximum on the 5700XT

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 04:49:24 am »
So the I3 which is now on my Laser Cutter. Updated F360 and with no browser open unlike the 3700X test above which had 4 or 5 tabs opened. 8Gb of Memory more or less maxxed out GPU usage hitting 100% often (sucky Quadro 600) and all cores regularly going well over 50% just to manipulate the model. After changing and then undoing some bits the internal recalculation for the model had all the cores hitting 100%.

Basically yes it will do it but the experience SUCKS and would lead to an upgrade sooner rather than later!

ETA on an In Canvas Render sometime after Christmas  :palm:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 04:16:30 am by beanflying »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf