Author Topic: [solved] Looking for an elegant git repository WEB viewer  (Read 2084 times)

Offline legacyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
[solved] Looking for an elegant git repository WEB viewer
« on: November 03, 2019, 02:36:39 pm »
Looking for some good piece of PHP code to be integrated with a the source code and style of a website.

opinions, links, and hints are welcome  :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 05:54:22 pm by legacy »

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for an elegant git repository WEB viewer
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 03:02:41 pm »
Try fossil https://www.fossil-scm.org/

Not git based, but very appealing.  See the fossil vs. git pitch:
https://www.fossil-scm.org/home/doc/trunk/www/fossil-v-git.wiki

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 03:18:57 pm »
Have you looked at this? https://gitlist.org/

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 06:02:33 pm »
Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that I can only use PHP v5.2+ due to several personal reasons.

I grabbed some tutorial and made it myself. It's super simple and simplified, based on git-view (40% of its code reused), and it looks this way (click on "Repo") and I was able to integrated with the forum by a couple of tricks.

It seems decent enough  :D

edit:
link removed because outside this forum my staff got accused of "click-bait" and I want to avoid more issues.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 12:12:25 pm by legacy »

StarPlatinum

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 04:17:19 am »
NOTE: This message has been deleted by the forum moderator Simon for being against the forum rules and/or at the discretion of the moderator as being in the best interests of the forum community and the nature of the thread.
If you believe this to be in error, please contact the moderator involved.
An optional additional explanation is:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:33:35 am by Simon »

The following users thanked this post: legacy

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 06:52:06 am »
It's super simple and simplified, based on git-view (40% of its code reused)
:-+

Works well for its intended purpose: to view source trees, changes, patches, and history.
In my opinion, web view of git trees is the easiest way to look for stuff, to tickle ones brain, before trying to make some suggestions, and can even help in finding the causes of some bugs.

The next step up is Elixir, as used at e.g. elixir.bootlin.com for cross-referencing Linux source code.  I'm not sure it is worth the effort for typical projects, but if one finds themselves looking for the definitions of functions or macros all the time, it is definitely a solution to consider.

The following users thanked this post: legacy

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 07:32:29 am »
If you're stuck on PHP 5.2 for something legacy I suggest you look for alternative hosting that allows you to run multiple PHP versions, with PHP-FPM you can run PHP installations side by side. I don't think you will find much that will work on such an old version, and you're just asking to be attacked from a security point of view. 5.2 was last updated in 2011, it's 8 years out of date and missing many many new features that modern scripts rely on.

If you are looking for such a setup that is customized and tuned for your requirements I can assist you with this if you're interested (we can even mitigate most of the php5.2 security concerns). Alternatively, I have helped many clients migrate code from old PHP versions to modern versions with over 20 years of professional PHP development experience under my belt.

As for your git viewer, while it's not lightweight I highly recommend deploying a GitLab server for this, not only is it easy to use, but it is backed by a large company that continues to update and maintain it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:36:18 am by gnif »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 07:36:26 am »
Do you need a decent host legacy? I was landed a preinstalled server that had PHP5.6 and it was a nightmare. I eventually ditched that silly company because clearly they had just used an image file to setup the server (LCN.com - hopeless) and it was way out of date. Switching to 7 saved me RAM as it uses around half and of course i can now install stuff that is modern as some things as you ore probably discovering are not willing to work with outdated stuff.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 09:29:57 am »
Works well for its intended purpose: to view source trees, changes, patches, and history.
In my opinion, web view of git trees is the easiest way to look for stuff, to tickle ones brain, before trying to make some suggestions, and can even help in finding the causes of some bugs.

Thanks. Indeed that's the purpose :D

The next step up is Elixir, as used at e.g. elixir.bootlin.com for cross-referencing Linux source code.  I'm not sure it is worth the effort for typical projects, but if one finds themselves looking for the definitions of functions or macros all the time, it is definitely a solution to consider.

Yup. Although Elixir looks much more advanced for what we currently need, it's really really interesting!

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 09:53:26 am »
If you're stuck on PHP 5.2 for something legacy I suggest you look for alternative hosting that allows you to run multiple PHP versions

The stage4 was built on Catalyst (Gentoo) by myself in the far 2008, and it's also compliant with my old laptop. A PowerBook-G4, which was my laptop when I began university. Compared to modern stuff, the server machine is "a toy", to be honest. It's old Apple mini/PPC and it only has a G4 CPU and only 512Mbyte of RAM, on which it has to run Apache2 compiled with { php, python, elua }-mods as well as a GIT server (internally, on the intranet) and two AI agents.

I mean, this stuff is a bit heavy only for this machine; a modern machine can run many more of them without a single drop of sweat, whereas the old mac-mini .... well, it sweats as if he had run the marathon; but hey? this stuff is more a "retrocomputing" challenge than a real motivation  :D

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 09:57:24 am »
If that's the case I suggest you drop Apache and move to Nginx which is far more lightweight. If you can move to PHP 7.1 or later you will also find your ram requirements drop enormously and performance go through the roof.

The following users thanked this post: legacy, zzattack

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf