Author Topic: Is it now worth trying Windows 11?  (Read 21600 times)

temperance, ttelectronic and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Bryn

• Regular Contributor
    • mindsConnected
Re: Is it now worth trying Windows 11?
« Reply #150 on: Today at 07:02:20 am »
The first thing to do on a windows 11 machine is to disable automatic updates!
Creating a local account set up is actually more important, although it's trickier to do than in 10.

Also, since my last post in this thread, I have tried out the OS... but on a loaned laptop as part of my college studies last year. It's alright, but it would be very different if my next computer ran it. I wouldn't take the chance.
mindsConnected
Alternate tech forum for all... recently reopened (as of 15/9/24)
We welcome engineers also!

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #151 on: Today at 07:51:06 am »
And BTW windows 11 is full of telemetry, spyware, after removing all this useless trash the OS is nice, but the concept of cloud dependency is a no no.

All the garbage that was piled onto every corner of windows 11 on my new laptop almost made a grown old man cry. They even added "personalization/crap" to the search bar which in my case showed up as a zucinni with related search suggestions.  TVs manufacturers are getting in on the trend.

"Ad fatigue — LG TVs start showing ads on screensavers"
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/09/lg-tvs-continue-down-advertising-rabbit-hole-with-new-screensaver-ads/

It's possible to block ads on Android systems but after some time you experience freezes, slowdowns and all kind of strange things. This is because the OS is built on a collect and send users data to certain servers around the globe. After you allow your Android device to be fully free to do what it was created for (spy on you) and send the telemetry data it collected, your device starts to operate fine again. The same with iOS and all "modern" OS's. To be free of all of this you need to remove all of Google services and of course lose all the "inteligent" automation you're getting used to. Now with AI people become more dumb and machine dependants up to the point where humans are no longer needed.

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #152 on: Today at 08:07:28 am »
The first thing to do on a windows 11 machine is to disable automatic updates!
Creating a local account set up is actually more important, although it's trickier to do than in 10.

It's not so difficult you just have to disable the Microsoft account, depending on your windows 11 version you can do it on installation directly or if your version won't allow it like the home for eg, you can access the cmd line and from there disable it. but it's easier to create a Microsoft account and after the OS is installed, create a local account and remove the Microsoft one. Of course you will loose the ability to use the cloud and all Microsoft dependant services. The store for eg, but its possible to use it with a local account, although I prefer to buy and install specific software and not go from the store.
What people don't realize is that windows 11 is a rental service. You are just renting the OS, not like the previous versions where you buy a license and it was stuck to your PC hardware. By renting it Microsoft is allowed to modify it whenever they want, and the support period is really short. Since it's cloud dependant eg office only fully work  if you keep paying it. and if you don't have internet access well too bad for you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf