Author Topic: Are those all in one water coolers any good?  (Read 7503 times)

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Are those all in one water coolers any good?
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2020, 07:20:44 pm »
low noise low rpm doesnt play well with static pressure, good luck with that 24V fan. maybe you are digging into over engineering area (or wrongly engineered) the bundled fan should be adequate, on properly designed brand, it should be optimized and meet its rating W. tell me whose CPU that runs 95W flat like my archaic  Pentium D CPU? they must have a problem i guess. to add to the flavor, i removed the bundled radiator fan because i placed the radiator closer to the existing fan that cools something else. no issue so far with temp. although i never run and profile closely for all day long. the CPU will only runs for few minutes to maybe an hour when i want to measure something with the DSO its operating. in case of temp lockdown emergency occur, i have double counter rotating fan that can scream like a vaccum cleaner to put in there...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-GFB0912EHG-92x92x50mm-12V-2-1A-cooling-Fan-M2609-QL/182057385481?hash=item2a63773e09:g:WCoAAOSwoBtW6lYE
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2020, 07:30:21 pm »
Those crap things from Corsair are not fans, these are fans: https://www.onlinecomponents.com/datasheet/4114n2h8pu-50371715/
PAPST does not make anything exceptional. Usual fans not even optimized for low noise. Does no stand even close to noise/performance ratio with Corsair default fans.

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2020, 07:40:06 pm »
Can you even compare the corsair fan's to the papst? well you can't for starters because the corsair spec is non existent. To actually work this out properly you need the radiator specs, that is temp in, temp out, waster flow rate, air flow rate and pressure drop at that air flow. To get air through a radiator with the puny corsair fans i will need to double up the fans, which is fine as I can now take two out of the case and put them on the other side of the radiator.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2020, 08:03:27 pm »
BTW how are you going to control that papst fan? No normal fan controller will be able to deal with such load.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2020, 08:18:21 pm »
control? well it has a PWM wire like any other fan but I do not know what the PC fan PWM spec is. Not saying i would use that precise fan just showing you how pathetic these highly celebrated bits of junk are that cannot even come with a simple graph. They may do similar 12V versions although these will run quite happily at 12V, I have taken them as low as 5V and they will keep going down to 3V but cannot start at 3V.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2020, 01:52:35 am »
Obviously I would not run that fan at 125W but even at minimum speed it will outperform a peice of crap from Corsair. Why do you think all these bullshitters never publish specs. The only time I saw a spec it was like 30Pa real fans run well over 100Pa.
Likely yes, since it's minimum possible RPM likely will be larger than Corsair fan maximum. I just wonder why do you think that using higher RPM fan will somehow make things better? It will be simply noisy, that's all. Running this fan even at half speed will make staying in the same room barely bearable.
Why do you think all these bullshitters never publish specs.
They often do publish specs for standalone fans.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:59:28 am by wraper »

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2020, 06:49:04 am »
mmH20 ?  :-DD

Both those fans are the same! the plataue in the middle around 40-50CFM is where they are designed to work, they both do 40-50CFM with pretty much the same pressure 1.5mmH2O or 15Pa
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 07:02:22 am by Simon »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2020, 11:45:15 am »
mmH20 ?  :-DD
:palm: Most (non PC included) fans have static pressure spec in mmH20.
Both those fans are the same!
They are not the same. Larger fan has lower noise while offering similar airflow. Again, is it that hard for you to understand that PC fans are optimized for maximum performance at lowest noise? Because noise is what annoys people. Yeah, you can put 11K RPM fan into computer... when used in server room  |O. BTW it won't give any amazing AIO cooler performance boost since fan is not really a huge bottleneck.

SantaClaw

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2020, 11:56:17 am »
I have a custom loop on my main PC, It's pretty wicked with a 9x 120mm fan radiator from Aquacomputer and a eheim 1250 pump.

But, for my server, I bought an AIO from china, in march 2017, 120mm cost almost nothing...

I paid $49,99 USD  including shipping. It's been working 24/7 ever since..

I suppose it's all about what you need it for...

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2020, 12:01:26 pm »
Yes I know it's all about noise, yes those 11krpm fans screech the house down, I am very familiar with them. Yes if you have a larger fan going slower you get less noise for the same spec and less power consumption. I know but 10Pa is nothing. don't be fooled by the fact that you can nearly look through a radiator, they will put up quite some pressure drop, so find the pressure you need for the flow you need and draw a line across at the pressure drop, that is your new "0" and you see how much airflow you really get.

My current setup has 5 fans, all running low speed, not too much noise but that one little 80mm fan on the CPU heatsink is a little screecher, so I am replacing it with several larger fans on a remote radiator because of the very point you make. I cannot pu 4x140mm fans on my 80mm heatsink, but I can on a radiator.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2020, 12:12:50 pm »
what actually made my PC quieter was to increase the speed of the rear fan to help move cool air into the CPU fan so that it stopped recirculating air, that alone brought the noise down as it stopped the CPU fan going nuts.

SantaClaw

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2020, 01:19:28 pm »
I put the radiator for my custom loop in the room next door, keeps all the fans and noise in there...

1080ti gpu is watercooled, and I did have a watercooled PSU for a while, but the internal pump failed (it had water to 3m fluid heat exchanger on the back), I did keep the 1 liter or so of 3m fluid when I troubleshoot the thing...
9900K cpu overclocked to 5 ghz on all cores..

Years ago, I had 5 harddrives, gpu + cpu + ram  watercooled... I discovered it was a pain, and having a low rpm large fan in stead works alot better.

Also... blue fans = just because they where cheap... Fans are crazy expensive when you buy 9 of them... lol

It has a built in flow meter, as I can see the water jet in the PET bottle :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:21:52 pm by SantaClaw »

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2020, 03:25:14 pm »
Well arrived and fitted. Just takes 20C off the temperature for the same noise. The supplied fans which are actually bequiet fans are better than the corsair garbage I had before but I have put their fans on as pushers and the corsair ones as suckers. I am now up to 3.575GHz which is nothing massive as it normally ran 3.425-3.45GHz without any overvoltaging.

Power wise the processor will use between 65 and 80W. Hotter on air cooling pushed it to 80W but changing boinc workloads has affected the power draw on water cooling. Now that I allow some WCG WU's as well as rosetta I see the power rise. rosetta requires more ram than WCG so i suspect the rosetta WU's are not taking advantage of the dual threading as there is not enough cache.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2020, 03:53:12 pm »
So is water cooling useless? ;D

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2020, 04:07:43 pm »
About as useful as good air cooler. 20oC improvement over small stock cooler which does not even have any heatpipes. What an achievement!

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2020, 04:09:12 pm »

Well it certainly dissipates heat more easily so yeas it does what it says on the tin. Whether the processor can do anything with those lower temperatures is another matter.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2020, 04:09:55 pm »
i am more interested in RAM timing/speed

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2020, 04:19:29 pm »
About as useful as good air cooler. 20oC improvement over small stock cooler which does not even have any heatpipes. What an achievement!

Except that heat is now being ejected directly out of the case and i do not have up to 80W of heat being blown around the case.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2020, 04:22:53 pm »
Except that heat is now being ejected directly out of the case and i do not have up to 80W of heat being blown around the case.
And it would work around the same if you attached case cooler instead of radiator and directed CPU cooler in a way that air exhaust gets blown towards case cooler.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2020, 04:25:40 pm »
erm, but like i said I cannot fit a big air cooler due to space and the stock one is circular. Look i know that water cooling is not a magic bullet but it's a cooler, it works!

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2020, 04:29:52 pm »
erm, but like i said I cannot fit a big air cooler due to space and the stock one is circular. Look i know that water cooling is not a magic bullet but it's a cooler, it works!
If you have 15+ cm space above CPU, it's completely enough for good air cooler. If there is none, it's a bit strange there was space to fit water cooler in this case.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2020, 04:35:42 pm »
Look why don't you just go away. I wanted to experiment. I made that fairly clear.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2020, 09:33:33 pm »
And of course it's worth remembering that I am running the PC at 100% all the time as I run BOINC so everything is taking a pounding so keeping it a bit cooler even at stock speeds is not a bad idea.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2020, 11:13:32 pm »
If you have 15+ cm space above CPU, it's completely enough for good air cooler. If there is none, it's a bit strange there was space to fit water cooler in this case.
sometime right on top of CPU there are obstructions maybe a card or another fan protruding, in my case, the DVD drive is directly on top, but there are plenty of space on the other side. water cool heat exchanger on the CPU top is not so big can easily fit in a lesser than 10cm headroom, and as others mentioned, wont stress motherboard too much. 20°C is a significant improvement, between BSOD and stable CPU difference. iirc 30-40°C improvement on my case on otherwise 90°C (BSOD or damaged risk) 95W Pentium D using stock (smaller) fan meant for 65W CPU.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2020, 07:14:21 am »
And it's -20C at quiet settings, runnig my fans fast on my air cooler did not really do much other than make a lot of noise.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf